Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,738 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Help Out Pls - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help Out Pls (1062 Views)

Please Help Out! Advice From Experienced Web Designers Needed / Help Out With My Paypal Issues / Help Out Please, Webmasters ! Am Confuse ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Out Pls by dmark4real: 4:26pm On Jun 22, 2010
I have a site for news generally but i want a software to edit the content any time without puttin the content into html or php page eah time.

Does anybody no what i cud use? pls
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 8:54pm On Jun 22, 2010
Why don't learn how to use one of these open source CMS (Content Management System):

-Joomla
-Drupal
-Wordpress

Each one of them has a variety of news site extensions which will really help you out. I mean editing html or php every now and then for new content is so 1999. grin
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 7:56am On Jun 23, 2010
dmark4real:

I have a site for news generally but i want a software to edit the content any time without puttin the content into html or php page eah time.

Create a database.
Add the content you want to the database

Create a php file and declare a variable that gets the result of querying that database for the content you added.

Create a form that echoes/prints that variable into a textarea in the form.

Edit the content in the form and submit.

For the form action
Create a file that takes the value submitted and replaces it with what is on the DB.

If you dont want to use a database you can try all this with a flat file and use php's serialize() and unserialize() to get things to and from the flat file.
I recommend you use the database approach which I have found to be better as per security and maintainability.
Re: Help Out Pls by ogzille(m): 8:13am On Jun 23, 2010
I second Dual Core's suggestion, if u want to learn and improve yourrself then execute his suggestion.

Exposure to all these CMSes at an early stage does more harm to a 'learning mind'
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 8:23am On Jun 23, 2010
dmark4real:

If i'm not mistaken dmark4real asked for a software not how to build one. And a CMS is surely a software with all respect.

ogzille:

Exposure to all these CMSes at an early stage does more harm to a 'learning mind'

Why re-invent the wheel if it already exists? Instead pick it up and move on. After all we all want to do more for less time. The earlier you get into the wagon, the earlier u will get to your next stop. So do urself some favor learn one of the CMSs and you will save urself more time in furure. I'm sure there is a reason for the growing number of people using them day by day. C'mon millions of people can't be wrong can they? cheesy
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 9:12am On Jun 23, 2010
inf8nity:

C'mon millions of people can't be wrong can they? cheesy
Is this your reason for going with CMS? FYI, the whole world can be wrong.

I am not about to go into a long CMS-noCMS debate. That debate is very baseless. Use whatever you want to use to get your job done. If you wonno write your codes yourself, fine go on and have fun building yourself into a killer machine. If you wonno use CMS, fine go on. . . rest assured I will be here to help out (the best way I can) with handwritten codes when the CMS going gets tough, if it ever gets tough.

I am only afraid of those who are seeing CMS as a shortcut or a coward's way of running away from a problem. My heart goes to y'all. Sadly there are a lot like that here. In this board I have seen only two people (there may be more people i am yet to see) who have taken out enough time to know how a CMS engine works and also build additional parts to add to the engine to provide enough NOS for their CMS drive.

inf8nity:

If i'm not mistaken dmark4real asked for a software not how to build one. And a CMS is surely a software with all respect.
And the solution I gave is hardware, aye?  tongue
You dont have to answer, just playing with you and English
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 9:26am On Jun 23, 2010
@Dual Core

If you wonno use CMS, fine go on. . . rest assured I will be here to help out (the best way I can) with handwritten codes when the CMS going gets tough, if it ever gets tough.

FYI there are millions of developers behind the CMSs and lots of documentation so get over URSELF! grin Continue hand writing and stroke ur ego that u can hand code while we use CMS n make huge bucks coz we complete work in a flash! Meaning we can do more websites within a short time Remember the client won't care whether u hand coded or u used CMS as long as it WORKS! There is nothing as good as extensions for CMS which have been tested over and over worldwide by millions of developers. Keep living in ur "handwritten code" island.

No wonder u r still Broke grin
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 9:50am On Jun 23, 2010
Muchas gracias, brotha.
As per being broke et al, web development is part of my many joys and hobbies its not my occupation so I am not after quick money from coding. I will not want to go into details of my occupation here as it is not necessary.  smiley
If you think its an ego thing, well I am very very very very proud and also very very very very confident of/in my hand coding abilities and I am thankful to God for everything. No vex, its not easy. When I build something and people ask if I did it from scratch, depending on my mood I either vex and tell them to search the whole of google for any plugin or CMS that has done it or I am happy and give 'em a resounding yes also politely explaining that my codes as of this moment are still very closed source and I may not be able to attach and mail them but I can tell them my logic.

As for clients not having to know the tech behind a job, last thing on my mind in choosing how to work is the client, first thing of my mind is me. I am not a web designer, I'm just that guy that singles out a client and provides a business model and solution in the form of a web application that has a to-the-last-letter-of-his-specification precision without having to explain to him how dem shoot bird and the mama fly so I cant add a particular feature he is after (simply becos in truth I am using CMS and i no know how to translate him requirement into any module or extension and bad enough there is no module like that exactly)

I will say this again, use what you want as long as it gets your job done.
Make we no fight over CMS or noCMS this morning, I am wasting your precious time.
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 10:01am On Jun 23, 2010
Dual Core:

When I build something and people ask if I did it from scratch, depending on my mood I either vex and tell them to search the whole of google for any plugin or CMS that has done it or I am happy and give 'em a resounding yes also politely explaining that my codes as of this moment are still very closed source and I may not be able to attach and mail them but I can tell them my logic.

No one ASKS! Again get OVER URSELF n put ur EGO in check! grin Looks like u r doin this so that someone asks huh?

Dual Core:

As for clients not having to know the tech behind a job, last thing on my mind in choosing how to work is the client, first thing of my mind is me.

Once you change this mindset you will stop being broke! grin

Dual Core:

I will say this again, use what you want as long as it gets your job done.
Make we no fight over CMS or noCMS this morning, I am wasting your precious time.

Its no fight at all just helpin you understand how to make more money efficiently.  grin
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 10:08am On Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for the help, you can get back to work now. You are the one who wants to do a LOT in very little time.
My pride and ego (if you may) remains very very very very intact. I'm very very very very sorry if its annoying to anyone. smiley
I don't have anything against CMS and if I saw it as a better way for ME to work, it will be my A game. I have used a bit of Joomla and have used Drupal extensively, I however have chosen how I want to do things (with my hands) and you have also chosen how you want to do things too, so don't enforce your choice on me as I am not enforcing mine on you. I love my ego if that's what you call it. Na God do am for me through my passion and the vast community of like minded Nigerians I have access to.

P.S: You will be held responsible if the OP has been thrown into confusion with this derailment
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 10:14am On Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for the help, you can get back to work now. You are the one who wants to do a LOT in very little time.

Using CMSs make me have even more time in my hands to help others out of self-slavery grin

Well Dual EGO, It was a pleasure showing u how the rest of the world thinks even though u said it could be wrong! Let me check my bank account shocked
Re: Help Out Pls by APPC: 10:33am On Jun 23, 2010
@dmark4real, are u ok with the replies so far or u still need help. this forum look like war to me rather than helpful discussions.
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 10:37am On Jun 23, 2010
inf8nity:

Using CMSs make me have even more time in my hands to help others out of self-slavery grin

Well Dual EGO, It was a pleasure showing u how the rest of the world thinks even though u said it could be wrong! Let me check my bank account shocked
Sail safe.

APPC:

@dmark4real, are u ok with the replies so far or u still need help. this forum look like war to me rather than helpful discussions.
LoL I see conversation not war tongue
Re: Help Out Pls by quadrillio(m): 11:05am On Jun 23, 2010
@inf8nity,I can tell you that they are many problems CMSes cannot solve. If I may ask where do you run to in such situation since you can't code.

and don't tell me to mention them cos I'll write a text book of it.

until I see a CMS that solve all web application problem then I can give up my web skills. UNTIL THEN , STAY TUNED.

@Dual Core, it's not worth it d argument.
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 11:23am On Jun 23, 2010
quadrillio:

@inf8nity,I can tell you that they are many problems CMSes cannot solve. If I may ask where do you run to in such situation since you can't code.

and don't tell me to mention them cos I'll write a text book of it.

until I see a CMS that solve all web application problem then I can give up my web skills. UNTIL THEN , STAY TUNED.

Name the situation and i will show you several extensions to use for that situation! grin After all you are not the first to be in that situation and won't be the last, my point is before u got into that situation millions of others before you were in the same situation and thus came up with an extension for that situation. So why start solving the problem form scratch while you can pick up where others left and thus save time and money? grin
Re: Help Out Pls by ogzille(m): 11:53am On Jun 23, 2010
inf8nity:

Name the situation and i will show you several extensions to use for that situation! grin After all you are not the first to be in that situation and won't be the last, my point is before u got into that situation millions of others before you were in the same situation and thus came up with an extension for that situation. So why start solving the problem form scratch while you can pick up where others left and thus save time and money? grin

inf8nity, permit me to take this personal:

1. you are not a web developer, for not being able to figure out some scenarios where plugins cannot help you. lemme give u one simple example: after using a cms to create a long db upload form, the owner after one month compalins that the system is inefficient considering the fact that they receive their reports in 3 different nested table formats in microsoft word (not excel!). He now tells you as the 'developer,' to create a solution to enable them just upload the msword, read the docs in the 3 diff formats accurately, (rem not plain text stuff, u have a lot of nested tables, which u have to study and come up with a pattern) , extract the info and update the db?

What will you do in that scenario, look for an extension?

2. You are lazy (forgive me if am being harsh), pple sit down think and code from scratch, you lazily (im sorry too) use them ( somtimes u end up removing their copyright clauses) and u come hear and speak against hard coding stufffs. If every developer ( had to cancel cos ure not one ), starts acting like you, who will create those extensions or who will improve already existing extensions.

3. People solve problems everyday and come up with solutions right? Which problem have u ever solved as a developer? You help people end up in the same mess or rather myopic thinking that you are in.

4. Please if u cannot do a thing, do not say its bad ok? Give credit to those who can.

(learn a lesson from this post)
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 12:04pm On Jun 23, 2010
Infinity get to terms with reality, CMS cannot be used for high end specialized solutions. I am not a web designer who builds static sites, I build solutions that some times are required to run on an intranet alone.

CMS has come to stay for End Users who want a quick and clean "website" and that's what (in my opinion) you are.
You do not require any prior knowledge of html, css e.t.c for you to use CMS and its very many extensions. Already written extensions will never give you pin-point as-expected results on ALL your problems. And when you face such a dilemma be my guest to scrub google looking for a solution you will never find.

The advantage of using CMS is clear and the disadvantage is one many of you will learn the hard way if you don't start doing things right with your CMS usage.

CMS is an engine, you are the type of people that use it and are happy with the drive. There are those that spend days and nights fine tuning the engine to give them what they want. Note, they get what they want and post it as extensions if they want to. The extensions do exactly what they want and they are happy to share. If the extension ALMOST does what you want, you are OYO. You think a community will always rewrite an extension to fit exactly what you want?

Be happy depending on manna from heaven for your jobs. The day manner doesn't fall, God be with you and your client. You are the type of people that will always try to tune a client's solution to what you can offer, not exactly what the client wants. You are the type that will want to piss in his pants when you client calls you up and is about to tell you about some kinda updates and features he will want added to the site.

I already said I didn't want to do this yet i'm doing it and its just baseless even trying. We will always behave like the typical people that we are.
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 12:06pm On Jun 23, 2010
You either join us or remain broke for the rest of your life! grin
Re: Help Out Pls by Albato(m): 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2010
I never cease to find this forum very amusing. In the middle of a serious discussion there must be one comedian to make me laugh out loud. Actually, using a CMS does not make you lazy. You do need to know how to customise it a bit to make your site look different though. I have always spoken against those lazy joomla users who use freely available template without caring to make it look different a bit. That is one of the major downside of using a cms.

Infact most web designers these days dont waste time re-inventing the wheel. A lot many big sites run on cms like typepad, drupal, wordpress, joomla etc. You may not know it. Even our dear NL runs on a ready made cms called smf  smiley

Some of the downsides to using "manufactured" code or CMS include
- your site looks like everyone else's (if u cant code enought to customise it). This is no issue if you can code a little.
- Hackers can understand the inner working of your site because your source code is openly available. This is very unlikely unless you are running a "non" approved version of the cms. Always install the tested and approved version. Install all security updates.
- add yours

On the other hand, the advantages of using cms is uncountable.
- easily launch sites in minutes.
- save your brain cells.
- access to well tested and secure codes
- these cms websites have forums where you can rub mind with gurus and get answer to any questions
- continually improving codes
- add yours
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 9:31pm On Jun 23, 2010
Albato:

I never cease to find this forum very amusing. In the middle of a serious discussion there must be one comedian to make me laugh out loud. Actually, using a CMS does not make you lazy. You do need to know how to customise it a bit to make your site look different though. I have always spoken against those lazy joomla users who use freely available template without caring to make it look different a bit. That is the one of the major downside os using a cms.

Infact most web designers these days dont waste time re-inventing the wheel. A lot many big sites run on cms like typepad, drupal, wordpress, joomla etc. You may not know it. Even our dear NL runs on a ready made cms called smf smiley

Some of the downsides to using "manufactured" code or CMS include
- your site looks like everyone else's (if u cant code enought to customise it). This is no issue if you can code a little.
- Hackers can understand the inner working of your site because your source code is openly available. This is very unlikely unless you are running a "non" approved version of the cms. Always install the tested and approved version. Install all security updates.
- add yours

On the other hand, the advantages of using cms is uncountable.
- easily launch sites in minutes.
- save your brain cells.
- access to well tested and secure codes
- these cms websites have forums where you can rub mind with gurus and get answer to any questions
- continually improving codes
- add yours

Albato AMEN to that! Couldn't put it better! grin
Re: Help Out Pls by OmniPotens(m): 11:11pm On Jun 23, 2010
dmark4real:

Re: Help Out Pls by quadrillio(m): 4:40pm On Jun 24, 2010
inf8nity:

You either join us or remain broke for the rest of your life! grin
LWKMD, even d CMS you don't know how to use it like most of us. (PERMIT ME TO BRAG). if you want to prove me wrong tell me a plugin/module you ve developed for yourself to solve a problem. until then, STAY TUNED.

-SAFE
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 5:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
quadrillio:

LWKMD, even d CMS you don't know how to use it like most of us. (PERMIT ME TO BRAG). if you want to prove me wrong tell me a plugin/module you ve developed for yourself to solve a problem. until then, STAY TUNED.

-SAFE

I don't need to develop any! they are readily available, all i have to do is pick one install and use it to make money! grin
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 6:55pm On Jun 24, 2010
^ That's why you are an end user and not a developer. I am sorry I put you through an argument you had no idea about. I was actually talking to you as a co dev but I was wrong. This is about the second time I am doing this. The first one was when I and others were trying to make a dude understand some things about linux server administration only to find out the guy didn't even have a server he was admin'ing, but a reseller account. Na soldier wey go war front na him know wetin e be like for bullet to fly pass him ear, not the one that sits in the office.

Omni sorry o  grin You know I am a very quiet person  cool cool

For others who may be thinking going CMS. I am not discouraging it o! I will like to see people use it and use it well i.e I want to see CMS working for people not people enslaving themselves to it cuz they bumped into it at break-neck speed. I have all the good books written for drupal (about 27 of them) ranging from normal administration of the core, theming, CCK to module dev and willing to give to anyone who needs it.
If I didnt know how to use my hands to get exactly what I want maybe I will be resorting to it also. All I have said here are strictly my opinions and not suggestions for anyone to follow.
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 6:58pm On Jun 24, 2010
Dual Core:

Omni sorry o  grin You know I am a very quiet person  cool cool

AND BROKE TOO! grin
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 7:08pm On Jun 24, 2010
As I said to a friend who saw your comment and started laffing at your ignorance on y!m yesterday, the terms "broke" "poor" and "rich" are very relative. I am broke by some extraordinarily high standards and very rich (in fact too rich for my age) by some pretty high standards.
I dunno you personally, so if you think I am broke well let me give you the benefit of the doubt if that will make you sleep well at night. If Bill Gates can complain of being broke then who cant?

Its not about the money for me, its the passion.  Surprisingly more money comes from things I have a passion for than from things I did in my good old (and gone) employee days.
Re: Help Out Pls by inf8nity(m): 8:17pm On Jun 24, 2010
Its not about the money for me, its the passion.

That is what all BROKE people use as an EXCUSE! grin
Re: Help Out Pls by DualCore1: 4:20am On Jun 25, 2010
dmark4real:

Hope you've gotten help somehow, if you havn't do come back and let's know how things go. Just a recap of the solutions: You can do this with the procedure I outlined. If however you dont want to get dirty with coded I will recommend you use a good CMS like drupal. You can read its documentation at drupal.org. If your site is already live then I think you should just stick with the first option of hardcoding it.
Re: Help Out Pls by OmniPotens(m): 7:42am On Jun 25, 2010
I think all these arguments are really not worth the time wasting. You all have just deviated from what the poster asked or wanted.

CMS coded and left as Open Source is not a bad idea. Provided it was coded but the essence is just to make the web world easier to utilize that is what I think. Instead of making things much easier and scaring people out of the web technology, Open Source came to the rescue. The next generation of Open Source is development of Plugins either personal or Open Source. The truth is there are not the Plugins to satisfy all needs and developers only tune and develop according to their own ideology not what the next person have in mind and most time those that use it fine tune their clients to use only within the context of the available Plugins not what the client need. Better option is we learn and develop ours too and make Open Source for others to use. Refer to @dhtml* and he will tell you more about it as he does plenty of those.

End point is get back to the posters original post and stop battles for now.

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Timeline: The Evolution Of Advertising Infographic / Top Website Development And Design Company / Opera Mini Versus Native Browsers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.