Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:18 AM

Lucrativeness Of Website Design - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lucrativeness Of Website Design (1075 Views)

[HELP] Which Type Of Website Do I Create, That Brings Money? / What Type Of Website Should I Create? / What Type Of Website Do You Really Want? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lucrativeness Of Website Design by Eaugusta(f): 11:43pm On Jul 25, 2013
Pls I want to knw how lucrative is website design business, how easy it is to learn wit a focus mind. I wil really b very glad if any1 can also advice me on how n wie to start from wit d blieve dat I have no idea abt it but so passionate to learn. I am a batch B corper serving in Ekiti state, I read mech engr. Plssssssss help
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:20am On Jul 26, 2013
Website design profession like any other profession is lucrative. Even snail farming is lucrative if you know how to change the game.

You said you read Mechanical Engineering. So you want to change profession then? If that is the case, then it's ok. I have seen medical doctors turning to another profession entirely.

One good thing about web design industry is that it's still growing and it has a great future. Practically everything is now moving to the web and mobile app.

So if you want to be part of the movement, then I think it is a good step in the right direction.

To become a web designer, you must start with html. Html is the bedrock of web pages. There are tons of tutorials on the web on this language. And luckily, it's pretty easy to learn. In fact, you can have a strong grip on it in one month.

Then after html, you will then be required to soak yourself into css. Css is the beautifier of the web pages. Again, it's pretty simple to learn although some of the properties can be tricky sometimes.

After learning html and css, then design a simple website and test your knowledge.

Then, you will be required to pay homage to javascript. Javascript is engine behind most interactivity on web pages. It is the language of the browser. You will learn it and one of its many libraries like jquery. Javascript is simple, but also difficult to learn.

When you are done with javascript, you will then proceed to php and mysql. Php is the language of the server. It brings dynamism to web pages. It's actually simple to learn. If you patiently learn javascript, you can easily learn php because most of the syntax are same.

At this level, you will be exposed to one or two other things you may need to learn. You may need to learn one other server side language like python and some other frameworks like angular and stuff like that.

Overall, you must have passion for this industry. It's not all about lucrativeness. Someone like me will still be coding websites even if am not getting any money from it. But sure, passion will always translate to good income.

To get started, go here:
http://www.tutorialspoint.com
http://www.html.net

These two sites have tutorials in all the languages listed above. They will practically give you what you want.

4 Likes

Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by yawatide(f): 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2013
^^^ One line answer: It is as lucrative as you want it to be
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by teemy(m): 4:59pm On Jul 26, 2013
@eaugusta the css critic has given you the guidelines you need and the lioness a little word of advice. just add a little mechanical greese to your elbows with your 'learning' curve intact you should start ok. P.S more realistic than our dy/dx ba?
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by Otuabaroku: 9:07pm On Jul 26, 2013
In my opinion, website design is not lucrative as thought(more especially in Nigeria). A typical example is the thread about web designers, how much do you earn in a month. What I saw in that thread gave me the impression that web design is not all that lucrative after all.

The only way to make it lucrative is by creating a value. For instance, designing a website either by yourself or sourcing it out that solve a particular problem. Which you will now relax and watch your effort or investment over time. A typical example is Nairaland,linda Ikeji,naija pal, etc. You can carve a niche for yourself and subsequently make money from it.

Apart from that, the hype in Nigeria does not worth it. Unless you will be contented to be collecting 15k, 45k, etc for the web design job.

2 Likes

Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
if you don't like reading too much

you can check this video tutorial out to learn

http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by Eaugusta(f): 11:42pm On Jul 26, 2013
Tanx all, I really appreciate ur comments
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by jacintamary: 4:16am On Jul 27, 2013
Otuabaroku:

Apart from that, the hype in Nigeria does not worth it. Unless you will be contented to be collecting 15k, 45k, etc for the web design job.
was it only 15k and 45k you saw there? And how many people from that thread revealled how much they earn.
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by amba03: 5:03pm On Jul 28, 2013
My mentor did a site for the govt for #7m(sorry can't mention the site).someone subcontracted a site to me and paid 300g(just design) without batting an eyelid(I wonder how much the coy paid him for it.I look towards one of that per month.while some cheaper ones of btw 50-85 usually keeps one from starving.I look towards a time when I will be having deals like the one my mentor did,just one in a year.so I think its lucrative.
Re: Lucrativeness Of Website Design by Eaugusta(f): 9:39pm On Aug 05, 2013
tnx so much 4 ur reply @ amba03

(1) (Reply)

Thecable.ng Wordpress Theme / How To Change The Admin Dashboard Login Url From Yoursite.com/wp-admin / 18.6k Fans Facebook Page For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.