Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better (2613 Views)

Quickly And Safely Remove USB Drives With Hot Keys / Benefits Of USB Flash Drives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Dboy55(m): 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2018
Dear programmers on nairaland,so i am thinking of getting a hp 250 G6 with a 1000 HDD,4gb ram .then later on i found out that Android studio requires a high spec system to be able to run the system smoothly without any girdles .
Then i also saw another HP 250 G6 with 8gb ram,256 SSD,the thing is that the disk space of this system is very little ,but i know SSD are also very fast .
The problem now is tha,t i will be entering 100 level this year,you know i am going to be storing a lot of files on my system due to school work,
Please between the two,which should i go for .
Programmers in the house have had experince using Android studio whats your advise ?
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by CodeTemplar: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2018
If in your shoes I will go for the 250GB SSD system. As a student you can still manage that if your aren't keeping movies and other unnecessary stuff in it.
Memory cards are cheaper these days and you could buy one to support the system and store less important files.
There are 32gb and 64gb cards in small shops these days.

1 Like

Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Dboy55(m): 5:45pm On Aug 14, 2018
CodeTemplar:
If in your shoes I will go for the 250GB SSD system. As a student you can still manage that if your aren't keeping movies and other unnecessary stuff in it.
Memory cards are cheaper these days and you could buy one to support the system and store less important files.
There are 32gb and 64gb cards in small shops these days.
Thank you boss,i have decided to buy an external Hard drive,so the thing i know about this system now is dat,it didnt come with an operating system,
I am thinking between windows and linux which is more better for programmers ?
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by cyrielo(m): 7:42pm On Aug 14, 2018
Either windows or Linux is fine!
But I would rather choose Linux because you get to understand the command line better, plus linux and mac os are based on the unix kernel architecture
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Dboy55(m): 7:48pm On Aug 14, 2018
cyrielo:
Either windows or Linux is fine!
But I would rather choose Linux because you get to understand the command line better, plus linux and mac os are based on the unix kernel architecture
Thanks,how do i install linux .
Its the installation eaiser like that of windows OS.
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by cyrielo(m): 7:59pm On Aug 14, 2018
To install Linux, you have to choose from one of the popular linux distributions which are debian, Ubuntu etc.

Ubuntu is most popular I think (that's the one I use too) visit the website and download the iso image. Then either save it on a pen drive or burn it on a cd

1 Like

Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Greatzeus(m): 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2018
Dboy55:
Dear programmers on nairaland,so i am thinking of getting a hp 250 G6 with a 1000 HDD,4gb ram .then later on i found out that Android studio requires a high spec system to be able to run the system smoothly without any girdles .
Then i also saw another HP 250 G6 with 8gb ram,256 SSD,the thing is that the disk space of this system is very little ,but i know SSD are also very fast .
The problem now is tha,t i will be entering 100 level this year,you know i am going to be storing a lot of files on my system due to school work,
Programmers in the house have had experince using Android studio whats your advise ?
Go for the 1tb HDD and 4gb ram,all you need to do is upgrade the RAM to 8gb. If not as a student you will regret choosing 256gb SSD over 1hdd. As a student,you don't need SSD now,256gb is nothing,I doubt it will even take my software and ebooks,talkless of music and movies.
If you are using your first Laptop,install Windows 7,8 or 10 on it. If you are well familiar with Windows,you can install Linux but I will rather you don't.
I have like 6 linux distro I burnt to CDs and I do boot from them once in a while,but it's way below windows.
Linux is free yet it's not on even up to 5% of O.S on computers. Windows is sold yet has more than 50%,what does that tell you?

1 Like

Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Dboy55(m): 7:03pm On Aug 29, 2018
Greatzeus:

Go for the 1tb HDD and 4gb ram,all you need to do is upgrade the RAM to 8gb. If not as a student you will regret choosing 256gb SSD over 1hdd. As a student,you don't need SSD now,256gb is nothing,I doubt it will even take my software and ebooks,talkless of music and movies.
If you are using your first Laptop,install Windows 7,8 or 10 on it. If you are well familiar with Windows,you can install Linux but I will rather you don't.
I have like 6 linux distro I burnt to CDs and I do boot from them once in a while,but it's way below windows.
Linux is free yet it's not on even up to 5% of O.S on computers. Windows is sold yet has more than 50%,what does that tell you?
Windows OS takes approximately 1 quarter of the space on the drive,what about if i have an external back up HDD,lets say like 320 External HDD it will still be sufficent for me right ?
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Horlaarsco: 2:47pm On Sep 03, 2018
240gb ssd available for sale
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 05, 2018
Dboy55:

I am surprised u said AS requires high specs ....i doubt that is true. From my experience it would even run on a hp mini. The only problem is that u wont b able to use an Emulator. Now i 'd advise u go for a SSD anytime anyday.
I do my development on an Old ThinkPad. (T400) with 6gb RAM and 120gb SSD. It gives me everything i need. U dont really need the best laptop to be a programmer. Just get an IDE (notepad++) and code on. I have over 3 Apps built already and still counting.......including servers and scripts......all built on a hp mini 2140 and my T400

1 Like

Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by dubanib: 10:57am On Sep 05, 2018
Turn Your Website Into a thriving Supermarket. Get A Premium E-commerce Website

Get Ecommerce Website Developed for Your Business designed, crafted and developed by Web Professionals with years of Web and Digital Solutions experience

Avoid Web Quacks Developing your Website!

What You Get!

== Free Training on How to Upload, Edit and Remove Products Images/Prices
== https://www.YourEcommerce.com SSL Certificate Installed for FREE
== 1 year US-based Hosting (comes with unlimited Traffic)
== Payment Gateway to accept online funds
== Free Domain for 1 Year
== Beautiful Crafted Website
== SEO Implementation with Google Analytics & Google Console for Good online Ranking
== Comes developed with VERY GOOD Website Speed!
== Logo Design for your Brand (in case you don’t have)
== Websites comes with 99.9% uptime
== Basic Website Maintenance for 2 Months for FREE...YES! For Absolutely FREE!
== 2 Banner Designs to promote your brand…FOR FREE
== Unlimited Hosting Space

PLUS MUCH MORE!

Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by CloneTerminator: 11:17pm On Jan 10, 2023
I'm upgrading my old laptop, so I plan to replace the old HDD with an SSD. My laptop only supports the mSATA form factor, so I'm looking at these SSDs. I plan to install Windows on the SSD, and all important files will remain on the HDD.
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by learning22: 6:25am On Jan 12, 2023
Dboy55:

If HP G series is your favourite, you can just be patient to add little to your savings and get yourself HP 250 G9.

12th Generation
8GB
512SSD
Windows 10 pro

400-450k
Re: Between HDD And SSD Hard Drives Which Is Better by silento(m): 2:32am On Jan 13, 2023
Greatzeus:

Linux of today is more user friendly than windows

Don trades speed for space
In this time in history u dey talk about ebook and video , wetin happen to cloud storage

Files I stored in my 4shared server when I was in ss1 that's about 14 to 16 years ago is still intact

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Programming Languages Required To Make Interesting Cartoons? / Html Before Php??advice / Help Me Solve This Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.