Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,485 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) (1694 Views)

14-Year-Old Missing Malaysian Boy Found In Crocrodile's Stomach (Graphic Pics) / Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) / Not Too Young To Run: 14 Year Old Boy Running For Gov (in US) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by Macopol01(m): 11:03pm On Aug 14, 2018
Most 14-year-old American schoolboys might be fixated on baseball, chasing girls and dodging their homework. Not Ethan Sonneborn. He’s running for governor in Vermont.

The teenager is taking advantage of a quirk in the constitution of the bucolic northeastern state that imposes no age limit on running for governor. Candidates only have to have lived in Vermont for at least four years.

Ethan, happily for his campaign, has lived in the state for 14. He faces a crowded field of adult rivals in Tuesday’s Democratic gubernatorial primary.

His website proclaims him a champion for middle- and working-class families, with “the right ideas” on healthcare reform, economic development and education never mind that he’s still years from graduating high school.

He identifies with the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, which has been increasingly in the ascendant in the United States since the ultimately thwarted run for president by Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders in 2016.

“I think I’m the candidate who best represents the change we need,” he told a televised town hall event earlier this month.

His rivals include Christine Hallquist, running to become America’s first transgender governor, James Ehlers, a Navy veteran and environmentalist, and Brenda Siegel, the executive director of a dance festival.

But despite praise for Sonneborn’s “maturity” and political awareness, his campaign has attracted calls for Vermont lawmakers to close the loophole.

“I think we should probably take a look at that to be perfectly honest,” Republican Governor Phil Scott told reporters when asked if he thought 14-year-olds should be eligible to run.

“I think you should at least be able to get your driver’s license at the time that you become governor.”

Scott, 60, has been at the helm of Vermont since 2016 and is running for re-election, facing Keith Stern, who runs a fruits and vegetable business, in the state’s gubernatorial Republican primary, also on Tuesday.

1 Like

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by Macopol01(m): 11:04pm On Aug 14, 2018
Op push this to front page
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by satelliteDISH(m): 11:08pm On Aug 14, 2018
I remembered vividly when I was 14. I used to go mango tree climbing along army barracks road, bida, Niger state. Then the government planted orchards. Over 800 mango trees along the 9km Bida road to National Cereals Research Institute. It was always fun after school hours.

Although I didn't have the opportunity to use mobile phones and computers like today's kids but I really enjoyed my childhood.

We enjoyed 24/7 electricity. Always watching

The Hard Way, The Only Way
American Ninja
Sesame Street
Tales By Moonlight(on Sunday evenings)
No Retreat, No Surrender
The Problem Child
Chuky
Jaguar Jaguar (Today's Mr IBU)
etc...
and one yoruba thriller home videos whose actor is called Agbija. He would say "E mi ni Agbija o wa ra beakun.

I was truly happy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2018
To be a governor. Did he think is easy. undecided undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by Macopol01(m): 11:15pm On Aug 14, 2018
Nothing is impossible

1 Like

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by satelliteDISH(m): 11:25pm On Aug 14, 2018
adewumiopeyemi:
To be a president. Did he think is easy. undecided undecided

The kid said he is running for governor of the state. Were u high on codine when posting that trash.

6 Likes

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by chiommy123(f): 11:25pm On Aug 14, 2018
I don't see the possibility.
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by PrincessB1(f): 11:30pm On Aug 14, 2018
Becoming a governor is not a childs play naa undecided
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by yomi007k(m): 11:30pm On Aug 14, 2018
satelliteDISH:
I remembered vividly when I was 14. I used to go mango tree climbing along army barracks road, bida, Niger state. it was always fun after school hours.

Although I didn't have the opportunity to use mobile phones and computers like today's kids but I really enjoyed my childhood.

American Ninja
Sesame Street
No Retreat, No Surrender
Jaguar Jaguar (Today's Mr IBU) etc...

I was truly happy.

wink

I dey tell u....

The younger one is ,the happier.

1 Like

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by engrsyer(m): 11:40pm On Aug 14, 2018
He should go to school first before joining politics. He's a kid and still feeding from his mum's pot.

He should first be responsible for something like feeding himself before being responsible for the life and well being of the state.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by Tiimy(m): 2:22am On Aug 15, 2018
engrsyer:
He should go to school first before joining politics. He's a kid and still feeding from his mum's pot.

He should first be responsible for something like feeding himself before being responsible for the life and well being of the state.
stupid Nigerians always thinking backwards
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by BabaRamota1980: 3:37am On Aug 15, 2018
When they call a person white, this governorship candidate is it! No color!
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by LordsApostle: 4:31am On Aug 15, 2018
U are the one being backward son, the chap made some valid points. A child can't run a state; it isa state, not Nursery or child's playpen its an obvious lacuna in their constitution which they need to revisit..
Tiimy:

1 Like

Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by byemx06(m): 5:06am On Aug 15, 2018
satelliteDISH:
I remembered vividly when I was 14. I used to go mango tree climbing along army barracks road, bida, Niger state. Then the government planted orchards. Over 800 mango trees along the 9km Bida road to National Cereals Research Institute. It was always fun after school hours.

American Ninja
Sesame Street
No Retreat, No Surrender
The Problem Child
Chuky
Jaguar Jaguar (Today's Mr IBU)
etc...
and one yoruba thriller home videos whose actor is called Agbija. He would say "E mi ni Agbija o wa ra beakun.

I was truly happy.

egi nupe.
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by engrsyer(m): 5:25am On Aug 15, 2018
Tiimy:
Like what you just did.
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by satelliteDISH(m): 5:37am On Aug 15, 2018
byemx06:
egi nupe.

U wouldn't know me. Am from Enugu state. I only schooled there.
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by LordIsaac(m): 6:06am On Aug 15, 2018
Ɗon't ɓlame him. It's his pot ɓellƴ that is shooting out. That's his motivation! grin
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by byemx06(m): 6:26am On Aug 15, 2018
satelliteDISH:

U wouldn't know me. Am from Enugu state. I only schooled there.
I also school there
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by DIKEnaWAR: 6:58am On Aug 15, 2018
The trannie has won! Good run kiddo!
Re: Meet The 14-year-old Boy Running For Governor In United States (photos) by Mynd44: 9:57am On Aug 15, 2018

(1)

A Man Who Claims He Had Sex With Barack Obama In 1999 Tells His Story. (photos) / John Prescot Scandal: How Africa? / See What The Donald Trump's Official Car (cadillac One) Is Likely Made Of.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.