Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Teaching Our Children The Values Of Our Culture Using Our Indigenous Languages - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Teaching Our Children The Values Of Our Culture Using Our Indigenous Languages (941 Views)

Teaching Our Children Family Values..... / Teaching Our Children The Sense Of Gratitude. / What Are These Nursery Rhymes Teaching Our Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teaching Our Children The Values Of Our Culture Using Our Indigenous Languages by smartmom(f): 10:58am On Jun 23, 2010
It bothers me that most of us cannot boast that our kids can speak our indigenous languages. We will end up losing our cultures if this trend is not halted. Can people suggest why this is so and how we can stop it?
Re: Teaching Our Children The Values Of Our Culture Using Our Indigenous Languages by MissIfe(f): 11:11am On Jun 23, 2010
There are a few things I noticed in mixed couples around me (where most of the times, the dad is nigerian and mom from another country) :

- The dad talks to the children in english (even when it's just the language used by the couple to communicate and not the mom's native language) ;
- The dad starts talking to the kids in native language only when they start speaking already (english or other language), which is too late as the baby develops ability to speak a language before saying his first words ;
- Other nigerians with same native language address the kid in english (because he's a mixed kid??), hence the baby won't know that the native language can actually be used to really communicate with other people and will just pick a few words of it

I noticed that before having my first baby and therefore have been very clear with my husband about that : he wouldn' be able to blame me if his kids were to not speak his native language as I cannot teach them myself. He's always been speaking to his baby in his native language and we've asked our nigerian friends and family to do the same (some speak english to their kids but native language to ours smiley ). My baby started saying her first words, and they are equally in english/her dad's language/my language. She understands it all, even when other people talk to her, and of course I'm very proud about it wink
Re: Teaching Our Children The Values Of Our Culture Using Our Indigenous Languages by smartmom(f): 11:22am On Jun 23, 2010
Miss_Ife:

There are a few things I noticed in mixed couples around me (where most of the times, the dad is nigerian and mom from another country) :

- The dad talks to the children in english (even when it's just the language used by the couple to communicate and not the mom's native language) ;
- The dad starts talking to the kids in native language only when they start speaking already (english or other language), which is too late as the baby develops ability to speak a language before saying his first words ;
- Other nigerians with same native language address the kid in english (because he's a mixed kid??), hence the baby won't know that the native language can actually be used to really communicate with other people and will just pick a few words of it

I noticed that before having my first baby and therefore have been very clear with my husband about that : he wouldn' be able to blame me if his kids were to not speak his native language as I cannot teach them myself. He's always been speaking to his baby in his native language and we've asked our nigerian friends and family to do the same (some speak english to their kids but native language to ours smiley ). My baby started saying her first words, and they are equally in english/her dad's language/my language. She understands it all, even when other people talk to her, and of course I'm very proud about it wink

Hey Miss Ife cool, am so so proud of you too. Kudos to you and your hubby for this approach. I came across a similar thread in another forum and couldnt find any real solution. Yours take the cake I must say. I bet all the other parents in that forum would love to hear this.

Please share this here:
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/board,5.0.html
Re: Teaching Our Children The Values Of Our Culture Using Our Indigenous Languages by seasonedmom: 10:30am On Jun 28, 2010
smartmom:

Hey Miss Ife cool, am so so proud of you too. Kudos to you and your hubby for this approach. I came across a similar thread in another forum and couldnt find any real solution. Yours take the cake I must say. I bet all the other parents in that forum would love to hear this.

Please share this here:
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/board,5.0.html

Went to your link smartmom and found it really educative and funny too. I dare say the issue is a very serious one and parents need to address it urgently too.

(1) (Reply)

Marital Issues / Top 10 Reasons For The Increase In The Number Of Divorces / Importance Of Discipline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.