Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,320 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. (1878 Views)

Who Fares Better? Nigerian Graduate And African American Graduate Compared / 21 Ways To Be A Better Nigerian This Year..... / Ten Tips To Survive Without Okada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by segun06: 3:09am On Jan 05, 2006
1. Buy made in Nigeria goods, whenever you can afford to.
2. Try to be part of the solution and not the problem.
3. Support your country and compatriots. Don't be a sell-out.
4. Don't supress your creativity/ideas, you just might be the next Mandela.
5. Love your neighbour as yourself. You never know who will help you out.
6. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.
7. Look at what other countries that are developed are doing right and try to promote it around your environment.
8. Do not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. Be the Columbus of our generation.
9. Be yourself. DOn't let anything or anyone tell you how to live your life (unless you have no other option).
10. What is right isn't always popular and what is popular isn't always right. NOTE: popular means something accepted by a lot of people
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by otokx(m): 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2006
this is a recipe for extra terrestrial visa
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by ijebuman(m): 4:49pm On Jan 05, 2006
otokx:

this is a recipe for extra terrestrial visa

My bros please explain
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by otokx(m): 11:48am On Jan 07, 2006
extra terestrial visa is a terminology used to describe one who has passed on to the great beyond.
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by pendelite(f): 6:09pm On Jan 07, 2006
Sege is on the money, in a simple word patriotism
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by ijebuman(m): 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2006
otokx:

extra terestrial visa is a terminology used to describe one who has passed on to the great beyond.

I understand what you meant but didn't understand its context as regards to segun06's top ten tips to be a better Nigerian
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by Chxta(m): 4:23pm On Jan 08, 2006
Difficult ask, these tips...
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by Chxta(m): 4:35pm On Jan 08, 2006
1. Buy made in Nigeria goods, whenever you can afford to, and whenever they are of comparable quality to foreign goods. Personally, I would advice that we buy quality. No point patronising something that is crap simply because we want to be patriotic. We are no longer in 1960. This is 2006.

2. Try to be part of the solution and not the problem. Too many Nigerians are guilty of this, why support Obasanjo's 3rd term agenda when we all know that it will create problems for the vast majority of us?

3. Support your country and compatriots. Don't be a sell-out. My dad used to tell me that when it is my family involved, I should hold my peace, support my brothers, and then correct them when the outsider has gone. I will stretch the same advice to my fellow Naijamen. We tend to wash our dirty linen in public too much and it makes the world laugh at us.

4. Don't supress your creativity/ideas, you just might be the next Mandela. Too many Nigerians suffer from a stunning lack of self confidence. We tend to follow what we feel are established routes to success. It is rather difficult to see young people fresh out of school for example, striking out on their own.

5. Love your neighbour as yourself. You never know who will help you out. Need I say more?

6. Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

7. Look at what other countries that are developed are doing right and try to promote it around your environment. You know, we need to copy for example the good parts of American culture, like not trying to extend the president's tenure in office, instead of copying the bad parts like Nollywood, sorry, Hollywood.

8. Do not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. Be the Dreyfus of our generation. To be honest, I think this is the hardest one to follow. If I was asked to go to Kirikiri because of my beliefs, I'd probably say no thank you.

9. Be yourself. Don't let anything or anyone tell you how to live your life (unless you have no other option).

10. What is right isn't always popular and what is popular isn't always right.
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by segun06: 2:52am On Feb 14, 2006
I'm glad ther are people who understand what i'm trying to say. for a minute there i thought i was the only one who undeerstood what i was talking about. smiley
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by adufep: 7:09pm On Jul 27, 2010
Great post.

I think you should add one more.

Register to Vote and make it count.
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Jul 27, 2010
Nice rules!
Re: Ten Tips On How To Be A Better Nigerian. by Tunmi(f): 6:34pm On Jan 17, 2011
1. Stop the tribalism and sexism. We do not have the energy to waste on being divisive. Nigeria needs a cohesive effort. Let one's merits speak for themselves. And stop belittlin our women. They are the backbone of every society and their efforts must not be dampened because some men feel threatened.

2. Welcome the young generation. Everyone dies and one cannot take the knowledge, power or wealth with them to their grave. So they should encourage young people in all facets of life. We should encourage mentoring, internships and volunteering in politics, business, healthcare, social life and all other aspects of the community. The youth is the legacy of the future and we must prepare them for it. And this should not just be privileged, educated youths but all Nigerian youths. Let them start at a young age. Teach them about their country from their early age, which is the best time to learn. Let them know their rights and privileges as Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country / Wow! British Muslims Now Want Sharia Law / Oil Sells For $40, May Dip To $25 January

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.