Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,361 members, 7,829,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country (1878 Views)

We Are Planning For Nigeria's Poor In 2016 Budget ' VP Osinbajo / Nigeria Is Not A Rich Country - Buhari (Vanguard) / For A Country That Does Not Have Much Resources, Uk Is A Rich Country. How ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by funloving(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2006
(I don't know if this is the right section to place this.)

While in Nigeria I saw alot of Nigerians living in abject poverty and just barely making ends meet. I felt the problem was with the country and its leadership.

I have been in the UK for a while now and I still see alot of Nigerians struggling to make ends meet. I am talking about educated and not so educated Nigerians. Professionals,skilled,semi-skilled,you name them.

They just survive.They can afford their meals and maybe pay rent in one of those run down areas but they are not really well-off.Not affluent.
Even in church dominated by Nigerians a regular prayer is still for God to bless us financially because so many people are just struggling.Just like we used to pray in Nigeria

An Iranian told me Africans are willing to work for as little as £10 a day because they have no jobs.(Don't convert that to Naira.UK is an expensive country and £10 is small money here).He called it slave labour and that is what it is.

The question is,is there something about Nigerians and Africans in general that seems to keep them poor,even when they are in rich countries ?
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by Odeku(m): 4:40pm On Apr 02, 2006
I don't think that statement is true how ever some Africans are willing to work for cheap labour because of immigration status, none the less, Average Minimum wage in the state is like $5.75 per hour, so multiply that by how many hours they work,
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by harmony: 2:11am On Apr 13, 2006
i dont agree
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by Idekeson(m): 2:20am On Apr 13, 2006
The fact that you find yourself in a rich nation doesn't give you a license to walk into a Bank and withdraw money. Your standard of living largely depends on your career or inheritance. Most Africans arrive with neither. Getting a good career requires education. Education is expensive. It's a complex mix of factors which you will understand if you're old enough.
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by mekaozi: 8:30am On Apr 13, 2006
@ funloving

U gotta be kiddin me, " poor in a rich country", is that an oxymoron?, First I dont believe anything an Iranian says, I know a lot of them here in the states that work in a department store, not to say that anything is wrong with that. but it still shows that some of them might not be doing as well as they think to be passing judgments on others, when u are in school or vocational training u generally will a job on the side that does not of course pay the best of wages, but thats why u went to the school in the first place right?, to get better education and make more money hopefully, I totally agre with
Idekeson:

The fact that you find yourself in a rich nation doesn't give you a license to walk into a Bank and withdraw money. Your standard of living largely depends on your career or inheritance. Most Africans arrive with neither. Getting a good career requires education. Education is expensive. It's a complex mix of factors which you will understand if you're old enough.
, papers and education are the guaranteed keys to success in a "rich country"while no papers and education guarantees poverty in a "rich country", every group of people in that country regardless of where they are form have a liitle bit of both in the mix, including some citizens of that country, shoosh
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by segun06: 6:08am On Apr 15, 2006
papers and education are the guaranteed keys to success in a "rich country"while no papers and education guarantees poverty in a "rich country", every group of people in that country regardless of where they are form have a liitle bit of both in the mix, including some citizens of that country, shoosh

I totally disagree with you, haven't you ever seen a conductor quoting Newton's law of motion. Or haven't you ever seen a rich man/woman who can't recite the alphabet? Education is useless if it can not be applied into the student's daily life. A lot of Nigerians are poor, because our leaders are stealing all our money; its that simple.
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 15, 2006
@ Segun06{I totally disagree with you, haven't you ever seen a conductor quoting Newton's law of motion. Or haven't you ever seen a rich man/woman who can't recite the alphabet? Education is useless if it can not be applied into the student's daily life. A lot of Nigerians are poor, because our leaders are stealing all our money; its that simple.} I totally I agree with you. Theedinosaurs are impoverishing Nigerians in their thousands. And they do that in league with their foreign partners. Nobody is seeing heaven. Take that from me!
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by funloving(m): 12:51am On Apr 16, 2006
I agree with folks who say you need education and leagal status(a.k.a papers) to make it in the rich countries but here in the UK, I have met Nigerians who have these things,professionals with legal rights,and they are just surviving.I am not saying they are in abject poverty but,life isn't so wonderful either.They earn their salary,pay tax,bills and mortgage and just live,I mean nothing spectacular,not what you will call rich.

Maybe it is bacause UK is a conservative and expensive country. grin
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by Mariory(m): 1:58pm On Apr 16, 2006
Don't forget that nigeria has to feed in excess of 130 million people. Currently on revenue alone, that will work out to only 50 cents per day for each nigerian.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1402210,00.html

So in order to hoist ourselves out of poerty,we have to grow the economy for a substancial amount of time. The issue isin't just corruption (although it is a big part of it).
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by Ciaralover(f): 7:24pm On Apr 16, 2006
The government steals all the money ank Use it on them and their family!!!!

Charles Taylor is an example!!!!He is a big loser1!!!!
I am from liberia and i know what went on there!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by ababoy1(m): 8:54pm On Apr 17, 2006
funloving - You must be mixing with the wrong crowd,

There are so many successful Nigerians in the UK - and I mean those that make ends meet and more. The percentage may not be great, but it is very respectable. My place of work (which is the 4th largest IT company in the world), is filled with high flying Nigerian professionals,
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by nina10(f): 5:39am On Jul 07, 2006
Boy i do not know the type of nigers u come across,but i think u need to research well b4 u post.i do not live in uk,but in the states and nigers are doing very well.Even if they are not super rich,they are not also super poor,but are doing real good. So research better my friend
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by nina10(f): 5:39am On Jul 07, 2006
Boy i do not know the type of nigers u come across,but i think u need to research well b4 u post.i do not live in uk,but in the states and nigers are doing very well.Even if they are not super rich,they are not also super poor,but are doing real good. So research better my friend
Re: Why Are Alot Of Nigerians (and Africans) Poor In A Rich Country by buzugee(m): 11:50pm On Jul 02, 2011
lmao @ 'for as little as 10 pounds a day' come on now. stop fibbing

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Igp Reality Or A Joke? / Nigeria Threatens ''Overwhelming Military Force'' Against Ivory Coast / Buhari Laughing Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.