Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President (2889 Views)

Kano Govt Charges Ganduje, Wife With $413,000, ₦‎1.38 Billion Bribery / INEC, APC Oppose Lp’s Request To Quiz IT Experts / EFCC Yet To Quiz Okorocha 24hrs After Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Shelumiel: 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You are just like your comments, rètarded
Look , I am far too intelligent to lower myself to your incompetent level. Abeg park well...
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 11:17pm On Aug 15, 2018
Shelumiel:
Look , I am far too intelligent to lower myself to your incompetent level. Abeg park well...

You are far too dumb to even rise to the level I am. Such a morón

2 Likes

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by ORIENTATION101: 11:27pm On Aug 15, 2018
Shelumiel:
shut up olodo dumb skull forming inteligent.
instead of you to learn and be informed you choose to be wallowing in ocean of ignorance.
how can you proceed to court without investigation and gathering of evidences to present to the judge in court.

a state house of assembly came out to public to make malicious statement against the commander in chief of armed forces and the poster boy of nigeria as a country in the eyes of the international community.

in saner climes heads of security agencies will be competing amongs themselve to invite him immediately for questionings

dss is an inteligent security network of nigeria that has powers to investigate on national issues

2 Likes

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Shelumiel: 11:41pm On Aug 15, 2018
ORIENTATION101:
shut up olodo dumb skull forming inteligent.
instead of you to learn and be informed you choose to be wallowing in ocean of ignorance.
how can you proceed to court without investigation and gathering of evidences to present to the judge in court.

a state house of assembly came out to public to make malicious statement against the commander in chief of armed forces and the poster boy of nigeria as a country in the eyes of the international community.

in saner climes heads of security agencies will be competing amongs themselve to invite him immediately for questionings

dss is an inteligent security network of nigeria that has powers to investigate on national issues
You are just as stupid as as your post . Please is job of the DSS to prosecute? In saner climes , will it not be the president himself, suing the Senator on charges libel(I am sure you have never heard of the word before , mumu)? Answer me you idiotic fool !
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by icon02(m): 11:46pm On Aug 15, 2018
If the claim is found to be true, will Buhari be arrested? If not, there is no need investigating anything.

2 Likes

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by ORIENTATION101: 12:02am On Aug 16, 2018
Shelumiel:
You are just as stupid as as your post . Please is job of the DSS to prosecute? In saner climes , will it not be the president himself, suing the Senator on charges libel(I am sure you have never heard of the word before , mumu)? Answer me you idiotic fool !
emtpty brain. point out to anywhere in the passage that says dss re prosecuting him.

2 Likes

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Shelumiel: 12:06am On Aug 16, 2018
ORIENTATION101:
emtpty brain. point out to anywhere in the passage that says dss re prosecuting him.
I know you hate reading , but do me a favor and read the thread so you can know how our conversation started . Thank you
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by ORIENTATION101: 12:22am On Aug 16, 2018
Shelumiel:
I know you hate reading , but do me a favor and read the thread so you can know how our conversation started . Thank you
i read all through i cant find where dss was claimed to have prosecute him.
kindly copy paste the part that says dss is prosecuting him thanks

1 Like

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:
Exclusive!!

DSS to quiz Onofiok Luke over N2 billion bribery allegation against President Buhari

By Emah Benson, NEWS MONITOR, Abuja

The Department of State Services (DSS) is set to invite the Speaker of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Hon Onofiok Luke to shed more light on the allegation that President Muhammadu Buhari attempted to bribe him with a whopping N2 billion and an offer to be the running mate to the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in next year gubernatorial election in Akwa Ibom State.

A reliable source at the Service’s headquarters in Abuja told our reporter that an invitation letter will soon be sent to Speaker Luke to face a team of investigators to determine the veracity of his allegation.

It will be recalled that the Speaker of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly Hon Onofiok Luke had during a solidarity rally by Uyo Senatorial District for Governor Udom Emmanuel alleged that following the defection of Senator Godswill Akpabio, President Buhari offered him N2 billion and Deputy Governorship slot to dump the Peoples Democratic Party for APC.

According to the source: “we’re in possession of the tape in which the Speaker made the grievous allegation against Mr President. Any moment from now we will invite him to throw more light on the allegations.

“He will be expected to tell us whether Mr President made the alleged offer in person or sent emissaries. If he sent emissaries he will be required to tell us their names and where the offers were made.

“You know one of the cardinal principles of the Buhari administration is the fight against corruption. The allegation by the Speaker needs to be investigated. It is allegations like that made by no less a person than the Speaker of the state House of Assembly that influence Nigeria’s corruption perception by the international community. And we will get to the root of it,” he said.

We learnt that if the statement made by Speaker Luke is found to be false, the full weight of the law would be brought to bear on him and cautioned politicians against making flippant allegations to score cheap political points.

A PDP stakeholder from Etinan Federal Constituency, Mr Paulinus Udoh told our reporter that the Speaker may have made the statement to impress the Governor so as to be assured of the ticket of the federal constituency. “It may just have been a political statement made out of youthful exuberance and to curry favour from the Governor who appears desperate because of recent political developments in the state,” he said.

Cockk n bulll stories for Yoruba Zombies to masturbate on grin
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by PoisonTional: 1:11am On Aug 16, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Cockk n bulll stories for Yoruba Zombies to masturbate on grin

What has Yoruba people got to do with the news? You are just like your late father, no sense nor shame. Spits

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by tafabaloo(m): 1:20am On Aug 16, 2018
Shelumiel:
That is a lie from the pit of hell. The DSS have no business with the law or its interpretation or the fight against corruption ; that is the job of judiciary in conjuction with the police .

A mechanic at law!

You guys talk about roles and functions of some security agencies as if you knew a thing about those agencies. ...disjointed understanding

2 Likes

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Shelumiel: 5:30am On Aug 16, 2018
tafabaloo:

A mechanic at law!

You guys talk about roles and functions of some security agencies as if you knew a thing about those agencies. ...disjointed understanding

Stop being a fool and Google the job description of the DSS.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 5:48am On Aug 16, 2018
Shelumiel:
Stop being a fool and Google the job description of the DSS.

The more you comment the more you show your idiocy.

Its clear to all you have no iota of common sense
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Shelumiel: 5:53am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

The more you comment the more you show your idiocy.

Its clear to all you have no iota of common sense
I don't blame you ; I blame Nairaland for giving degenerates like you access .
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by jchioma: 6:12am On Aug 16, 2018
GrabHisBalls:
An investigation carried out by the DSS that dances to the tunes of the president? Think again, this is DSS, not FBI.

DSS under Buhari has become a arm of APC.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 6:14am On Aug 16, 2018
Shelumiel:
I don't blame you ; I blame Nairaland for giving degenerates like you access .

Being as obtuse as you are must be a genetic thing with you.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

An Investigation which is how it is done in saner climes is now damage control abi? grin

Okay o continue

Mr Saner Climes, why hasn't this kind of investigation been conducted on the crucial matter of criminal forgery of a government issued document (NYSC Exemption Certificate) by your Minister of Finance? And if the investigation has been conducted, what is the outcome?

Oh, in saner climes, do security agencies pick and choose when to investigate and when not? Which is a more grievous offence - making an allegation (whether unfounded or not) or actually forging a government issued document for fraudulent use?
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Mujtahida: 7:02am On Aug 16, 2018
FarahAideed:

For a case of slander no police investigation is required before a supposed victicm can sue and besides the the DSS is not the even the Nigerian police that should do such investigation if need be
The mumu thinks that slander is a crime. He doesn't know that slander is a civil tort. The fact that DSS is stepping into the arena to investigate this is a clear indication of how partisan they are. If the President feels slandered he should file an action in court and claim damages.

1 Like

Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Mujtahida: 7:14am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Like I said, its not defamatory until proven to be false which is why an investigation is required.

From the OP

You know one of the cardinal principles of the Buhari administration is the fight against corruption. The allegation by the Speaker needs to be investigated. It is allegations like that made by no less a person than the Speaker of the state House of Assembly that influence Nigeria’s corruption perception by the international community. And we will get to the root of it,” he said.

The portion in red is where it concerns the DSS. National security is their zone
There you go displaying your stubborn ignorance despite attempts by others to school you. There's nothing more abominable than a man who passes off his ignorance as knowledge.

Defamation(made up of slander and libel) is a tort. It is purely a civil matter and not a crime as you obviously think. It requires no investigation whatsoever and the highlighted statement from the DSS brims with ignorance as well because the National Securities Act does not give them the power to carry out investigations on matters that border on the corruption perception of Nigeria in the international scene(section 2 of the Act is clear on the functions of security agencies in Nigeria). That statement you highlighted is hogwash and thankfully their pronouncement is not law nor is it in accordance with law.

It's simple: All the President needs to do if he feels slandered is to file an action in court claiming damages, apology and injunctive reliefs from the court against the speaker.

It is not the remit of the DSS not even the police to get involved in this matter but since the security outfits have been politicised they'd brush aside the law just to harass and intimidate people in matters that do not concern them.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 7:14am On Aug 16, 2018
For the morón above me I will say this.

There are two types of defamation, namely libel and slander. Libel is defamation in a permanent form, the most common being written or printed words contained in, for example, a Newspaper, a book, a letter or a notice. Defamation is also in permanent form if contained in a painting, cartoon, a photograph, a statue or a film. Also, by the defamation Law 1961, section 3, and the defamation Law 1959 section 3, defamatory words contained in a radio broadcast are also within the ambit of the sections, which define ‘words’ as including ‘pictures, visual images, gestures and other methods of signifying meaning.’

Slander is defamation in a transient form, most often through the medium of spoken words or gestures. It is sometimes said that libel is addressed to the eyes, whilst slander is addressed to the ear.

Historically, libel and slander were separate torts, but today they are treated as two aspect of the single tort of defamation and are generally governed by the same principles. They differ; however, in that whereas libel is always actionable per se, that is without the need to prove special (i.e. actual) damage, slander is not actionable per se except in certain cases

A defamation matter is defined in section 373 of the criminal code as a matter likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or likely to damage any person in his profession or trade by injury to his reputation. Such matter may be expressed in spoken words or in words legibly marked on any substance whatever, or by any sign or object signifying such matter otherwise than by words and may be expressed either directly or by insinuation or irony. It is immaterial whether at the time of the publication of the defamatory matter, the person concerning whom such matter is published is living or dead.

They can keep deceiving themselves since they claim to be lawyers but lack legal knowledge of the current position of slander under the conditions provided above
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Corrinthians(m): 7:18am On Aug 16, 2018
“He will be expected to tell us whether Mr President made the alleged offer in person or sent emissaries. If he sent emissaries he will be required to tell us their names and where the offers were made.

“You know one of the cardinal principles of the Buhari administration is the fight against corruption. The allegation by the Speaker needs to be investigated. It is allegations like that made by no less a person than the Speaker of the state House of Assembly that influence Nigeria’s corruption perception by the international community. And we will get to the root of it,” he said.
I love this. Let the gentleman show proof. We need to stamp out corruption wherever it exists.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Corrinthians(m): 7:20am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

This is an investigation and the DSS is equivalent to the FBI and this is how it is done.
You dey Bleep up. Tell him to go bring the FBI to investigate the matter since he prefers FBI and since Jonathan and PDP used FBI for such investigations when they held sway.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Corrinthians(m): 7:24am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Even the FBI isn't independent of the influence of the President of the united states. He is their main boss as everyone put there to head that department are his appointees and he can hire and fire them anytime he wants
Wasnt the last FBI boss fired for daring to cooperate with Muller over the Russian meddling investigation and replaced with one under the thumb of the president?

These PDP supporters are so naiive. They know nothing about domestic events, let alone foreign.

By the way, your source is missing.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Mujtahida: 7:27am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:
For the morón above me I will say this.

They can keep deceiving themselves since they claim to be lawyers but lack legal knowledge of the current position of slander under the conditions provided above
Hahahaha hahahaha. Ohh your ignorance is unbelievable. Where is it stated that in the copy and paste write up you posted that defamation is a crime or that it merits investigation. You are making my point for me. Did you not read where it said that defamation is a tort? What concerns DSS with civil matters of tort?

You have absolutely no understanding of the part in bold. What do you know about defamation being actionable per se?

Kai you a nut case. You cannot be cured.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 7:33am On Aug 16, 2018
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 7:35am On Aug 16, 2018
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Ohh your ignorance is unbelievable. Where is it stated that defamation is a crime or that it merits investigation. You are making my point for me.

You have absolutely no understanding of the part in bold. What do you know about defamation being actionable per se?

Kai you a nut case

Will you shut up you this charge and bail lawyer. So when defamation is deemed A CRIME under those condition, A CRIME does not warrant an investigation for sake of its merits and demerits right?

This is the position of the law below according to the Nigerian criminal code.

PUNISHMENT
Any person who publishes any defamatory matter is guilty of a misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for one year, and any person who publishes any defamatory matter knowing it to be false is liable to imprisonment for two years. If a person is charged with publishing a defamatory matter knowing it to be false it must be proved that he knew it to be false, but an exaggeration may be so gross as to amount to a false statement. If it cannot be proved that the accused knew it to be false, he may be convicted merely of publishing defamatory matter

How can something be proven or disproven without an investigation? By spiritual discernment?

You are indeed less than even a charge and bail lawyer
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Jax1: 7:42am On Aug 16, 2018
icon02:
If the claim is found to be true, will Buhari be arrested? If not, there is no need investigating anything.

You took the question right away from me..
Can anybody answer this question above?
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Mujtahida: 8:03am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Will you shut up you this charge and bail lawyer. So when defamation is deemed A CRIME under those condition, A CRIME does not warrant an investigation for sake of its merits and demerits right?

This is the position of the law according to the Nigerian criminal code.

How can something be proven or disproven without an investigation? By spiritual discernmnent?

You are indeed less than even a charge and bail lawyer
Your attempts at being farcical is
laughable. You need no investigation to prove a civil claim. All you need is evidence and in this case what the speaker said is already in the public domain. Even if investigation is required, it is still not the remit of DSS.
You are no better than a stark illiterate in the way you pontificate. Twerp is citing a section of the Criminal Code that has been declared unconstitutional.
Read, Mr dundee

As criticism is indispensable in a democratic society Olatawura J.C.A charged the Nigerian people to defend their hard won freedom of expression at all times. According to his lordship:

“The decision of the founding fathers of this present constitution which guarantees freedom of speech which must include freedom to criticize should be praised and any attempt to derogate from it except as provided in the Constitution must be resisted.

Those in public office should not be intolerant of criticism. Where a writer exceeds the bounds there should be a resort to the law of libel where the plaintiff must of necessity put his character and reputation in issue.”

Since the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Nwankwo v The State(1985) 6 NCLR 228 is binding on all authorities and persons in Nigeria it is submitted that the resort to criminal libel and sedition by public officers to settle scores with critics and political opponents is illegal in every material particular.

However, public officers who feel offended by any defamatory publication are not without remedy. They have been rightly advised by the Court of Appeal to defend their reputation and bruised ego by suing for libel in a court of law.

In view of the settled legal principles on freedom of expression, it is indisputable that the provisions of the Criminal Code on the offences of criminal libel and sedition are inconsistent with section 39 of the Constitution and article 9 of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights Act. To the extent of such inconsistency both offences are illegal and unconstitutional
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 8:20am On Aug 16, 2018
Mujtahida:

Your attempts at being farcical is
laughable. You need no investigation to prove a civil claim. All you need is evidence and in this case what the speaker said is already in the public domain. Even if investigation is required, it is still not the remit of DSS.
You are no better than a stark illiterate in the way you pontificate. Twerp is citing a section of the Criminal Code that has been declared unconstitutional.
Read, Mr dundee

As criticism is indispensable in a democratic society Olatawura J.C.A charged the Nigerian people to defend their hard won freedom of expression at all times. According to his lordship:

“The decision of the founding fathers of this present constitution which guarantees freedom of speech which must include freedom to criticize should be praised and any attempt to derogate from it except as provided in the Constitution must be resisted.

Those in public office should not be intolerant of criticism. Where a writer exceeds the bounds there should be a resort to the law of libel where the plaintiff must of necessity put his character and reputation in issue.”

Since the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Nwankwo v The State(1985) 6 NCLR 228 is binding on all authorities and persons in Nigeria it is submitted that the resort to criminal libel and sedition by public officers to settle scores with critics and political opponents is illegal in every material particular.

However, public officers who feel offended by any defamatory publication are not without remedy. They have been rightly advised by the Court of Appeal to defend their reputation and bruised ego by suing for libel in a court of law.

In view of the settled legal principles on freedom of expression, it is indisputable that the provisions of the Criminal Code on the offences of criminal libel and sedition are inconsistent with section 39 of the Constitution and article 9 of the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights Act. To the extent of such inconsistency both offences are illegal and unconstitutional

You are clearly not even qualified to be a court bailiff how much more a legal practitioner.

You need to go back to law school if you have ever been near one you this dummy who does not even know anything about the law he is throwing around.

We are talking about a bold claim made with an alleged amount of 2bn mentioned and an alleged offer for deputy governor given and you are talking about criticism. It seems your head is paining you.

Defamation

373. Defamatory matter is matter likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hatred, contempt, or ridicule, or likely to damage any person in his profession or trade by an injury to his reputation.

Such matter may he expressed in spoken words or in any audible sounds, or in words legibly marked on any substance whatever, or by any sign or object signifying such matter otherwise than by words, and may be expressed either directly or by insinuation or irony.

It is immaterial whether at the time of the publication of the defamatory matter, the person concerning whom such matter is published is living or dead:

Provided that no prosecution for the publication of defamatory matter concerning a dead person shall be instituted without the consent of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

(a) in the case of spoken words or audible sounds, the speaking of such words or the making of such sounds in the hearing of the person defamed or any other person;

(b) in other cases, the exhibiting it in public, or causing it to be read or seen, or showing or delivering it, or causing it to he shown or delivered, with intent that it may be read or seen by the person defamed or by any other person.

(2) Sounds where recorded shall, if defamatory, be deemed to be published if reproduced in any place to the hearing of persons other than the person causing it to be reproduced.

(3) In this section-

"recorded" means sounds collected or stored by means of tape, disc, cylinder or other means whatsoever, where the sounds are capable of being reproduced or are intended for reproduction by electrical or mechanical means at any time or from time to time thereafter, and includes the matrix, and cognate expressions shall have the like meaning;

"sound" includes speech and mere noise.

375. Subject to the provisions of this Chapter, any person who of publishes any defamatory matter is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for one year; and any person who publishes any defamatory matter knowing it to be false is liable to imprisonment for two years.

376. Any person who publishes, or threatens to publish, or offers to abstain from publishing, or offers to prevent the publication of defamatory matter, with intent to extort money or other property, or with intent to induce any person to give, confer, procure, or attempt to procure, to, upon, or for, any person, any property or benefit of any kind. is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for seven years.

The offender cannot be arrested without warrant.

377. The publication of defamatory matter is not an offence if the of publication is, at the time it is made, for the public benefit, and if the defamatory matter is true.

378. The publication of defamatory matter is absolutely privileged, and no person is criminally liable in respect thereof, in the following cases-

(1) if the matter is published by the President, Minister or a Governor or by order of the President, Minister or a Governor in any official document, Gazette or proceedings; or

(2) if the publication is made in a petition to the President, Minister, or a Governor; or

(3) if the publication takes place in any proceeding held before or under the authority of any court, or in any inquiry held under the authority of any Act, Law, Statute, or Order, or under the authority of the President, Minister, or a Governor; or

(4) if the publication takes place in an official report made by a person appointed to hold an inquiry under the authority of any Act, Law, Statute, or Order in Council, or of The President, Minister, or a Governor; or

(5) if the matter is published concerning a person subject to military discipline for the time being, and relates to his conduct as a person subject to such discipline, and is published by some person having authority over him in respect of such conduct, and to some person having authority over him in respect of such conduct.

379. The publication of defamatory matter is conditionally privileged and no person is criminally liable in respect thereof, in the following cases-

(1) if the defamatory matter consists of an extract from, or an abstract of, a petition to, or a Gazette or document published by or under the authority of, the President or a Governor of a State, or a Minister, and the publication is made without ill-will to the person defamed; or

(2) if the defamatory matter constitutes, in whole or in part, a fair report, for the information of the public, of any proceeding of any court. whether preliminary or final; or of any public proceeding of any body, constituted, or authorised to hold such proceeding, by any Act, Law, Statute or Order; or of any public meeting so far as the public is concerned in the matter published; if in every such case the publication is made without ill-"1 to the person defamed; or

(3) if the publication is for the information of the public at the request of any Government department or peace officer, or if the defamatory matter is any notice or report issued by such department or officer, for the information of the public, and if in every such case the publication is made without ill-will to the person defamed; or

(4) if the defamatory matter consists of fair comment either on any matter the publication of which, or on any report which, is herein before in the preceding or this section referred to; or

(5) if the defamatory matter consists of fair comment upon the public conduct of any person in public affairs, or upon the public conduct of any person employed in the public service in the discharge of his public duties, or upon the character of any of such persons so far as it appears by such conduct; or

(6) if the defamatory matter consists of fair comment on any published book or other literary production, or any composition or work of art, or performance publicly exhibited, or any other communication made to the public on any subject; or of the character of the author of such book, production, composition, work of art, or the person exhibiting such performance, so far as their characters may appear therefrom respectively; or

(7) if the publication is in good faith for the purpose of seeking remedy or redress for any private or public wrong or grievance from a person who has, or is reasonably believed by the person publishing to have, the right to remedy or redress such wrong or grievance; or

(8 ) if the publication is made in good faith by a person having any lawful authority over another, and is made by him in the course of a censure passed by him on the conduct of that other, in matters to which such lawful authority relates; or

(9) if the publication is made on the invitation or challenge of the person defamed; or

(10) if the publication is made in order to answer or refute some other defamatory matter published by the person defamed, concerning the person making the publication or some other person; or

(11) if the defamatory matter constitutes an answer to inquiries made of the person publishing it, relating to some subject as to which the person by whom or on whose behalf the inquiry is made, has, or on reasonable grounds is believed by the person publishing to have, an interest in knowing the truth, and if the publication is made in good faith for the purpose of giving information in respect of that matter to that person; or

(12) if the defamatory matter constitutes information given to the person to whom the defamatory matter is published, with respect to some subject as to which he has, or is on reasonable grounds believed to have, such an interest in knowing the truth, as to make the conduct of the person giving the information reasonable in the circumstances:

Provided that as regards paragraphs (7), (8 ), (9), (10) and (11), the person making the publication honestly believes the matter published to be true, the matter published is relevant to the matters the existence of which may excuse the publication of defamatory matter, and the manner and extent of the publication do not exceed what is reasonably sufficient for the occasion; and as regards paragraph (12) that the defamatory matter is relevant to the subject therein mentioned, and that it is either true, or is made without ill-will to the person defamed and in the honest belief, on reasonable grounds, that it is true.

380. (1) In this and the next succeeding section, the term "periodical" includes any newspaper, review, magazine, or other writing or print, published periodically.

(2) The criminal responsibility of the proprietor, editor, or publisher, of any periodical for the publication of any defamatory matter contained therein, may be rebutted by proof that such publication took place without his knowledge and without negligence on his part.

381. The sale by any person of any book, pamphlet, or other printed or written matter, or of any number or part of any periodical, is not a publication thereof for the purposes of this chapter, unless such person knows that such book pamphlet printed or written matter, or number of any or part, contains defamatory matter, or in the case of any part or number of any periodical, that such periodical habitually contains defamatory matter

Read the above and bear in mind the people involved. ( speaker of a house and the President of a country)

ODE must be your middle name
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Mujtahida: 8:27am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

You are clearly not even qualified to be a court bailiff how much more a legal practitioner.

You need to go back to law school if you have ever been near one you this dummy who does not even know anything about the law he is throwing around.

We are talking about a bold claim made with an alleged amount of 2bn mentioned and an alleged offer for deputy governor given and you are talking about criticism. It seems your head is paining you.

Read the above and bear in mind the people involved. ( speaker of a house and the President of a country)

ODE must be your middle name
Of course it is clear that you didn't read what I wrote. The dictum of Olatuwura JCA declaring that section of the Criminal Code as unconstitutional. Since you willfully and dishonestly chose not to read this portion though it was cited in my last response to you. Read again you incorrigible blind bat:

The constitution is the grund norm and it is supreme over any other law and any law inconsistent with the constitution is void to the extent of its inconsistency.
You are just a lame duck swimming in waters too deep for you, fluttering around spewing absolute thrash.
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Butterflyleo: 8:41am On Aug 16, 2018
Mujtahida:

Of course it is clear that you didn't read what I wrote. The dictum of Olatuwura JCA declaring that section of the Criminal Code as unconstitutional. Read again incorrigible blind bat:

The constitution is the grund norm and it is supreme over any other law and any law inconsistent with the constitution is void to the extent of its inconsistency.
You are just a lame duck swimming in waters too deep for you, fluttering around spewing absolute thrash.

Ignoramus I will keep educating your block head as the pretend lawyer you are.

https://akintundeesan..com/2015/05/the-law-on-tort-of-defamation-in-nigeria.html?m=1
Re: DSS To Quiz Onofiok Luke on N2 Billion Bribery Allegation Against The President by Mujtahida: 8:53am On Aug 16, 2018
Butterflyleo:

Ignoramus I will keep educating your block head as the pretend lawyer you are.

https://akintundeesan..com/2015/05/the-law-on-tort-of-defamation-in-nigeria.html?m=1
Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha. O my God. I didn't know I was engaging a mad man.

So after debunking your position in relation to the unconstitutionality of criminal libel, you have gone back to copying and pasting (of course without reading and understanding cos you can't in a million years comprehend what you are referencing) a write up that reinforces my earlier position that defamation is a tort, it is a civil action. It requires no investigation by DSS. The write up in your link copiously with sufficient authorities indicate that defamation is a tort. A tort ooo, a tort o foolish Butterflyleo

You are a tragedy, a sorry and shameful example of a government bootlicker. Continue your lunacy. I'm done with you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

... / Man Reveals What Lady Did After Visiting His Friend's House In Lagos. Photo / Meet Kenya’s Version Of Dino Melaye That Owns Gold-plated Luxury Cars (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.