Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

How To Send A Formal Email For A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Send A Formal Email For A Job (1208 Views)

Who Has Received NDLEA Email For Online Test? / Ways To Write A Formal Email To A Company And Get Employed ASAP! / How To Write A Formal Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Send A Formal Email For A Job by chikachuks1(m): 1:33am On Aug 16, 2018
Introduction

I also made this mistake when I sent a message to my potential employer. Writing a formal mail for a job might be very easy if you know how to go about it.

In this article I will be showing you how you can send a simple Email for a job to your employer. I promise it gonna be very easy.

Sample A

To: admin@infoducation.com.ng

Subject: re: Job Application

Dear employer,

Look at my resume and cover letter. It’ll tell you all about me. I really want this job.

Sample B

To: admin@infoducation.com.ng

Subject: Job Application: Claims Adjuster, reference A47kj2w1.

Dear Employer,

I am very interested in applying for the Logistics Manager position you advertised on infoducation on the 15th of January 2030. My qualifications and experience match your specifications almost exactly.

Please take a moment to review my attached Application Documents:

– Up-To-Date Resume

– Customized Cover Letter

It would be a sincere pleasure to hear back from you soon to discuss this exciting opportunity.

Sincerely,

[your first and last names, plus the phone number(s) you want to be contacted at, go here]

What is wrong with Sample A?

Well I will say you’ve done well for at least giving the mail a body.
What I think is wrong with sample A is a degree of formality and detail. The message is written in casual language which should be avoided when writing a formal email. And it makes the reader guess about which job you’re applying for. The language and content need to be professionalized or better still make it more formal. I must confess this was my pattern.

You are, after all, attaching your resume. Possibly a cover letter too. This should give the reader a much better idea of who you are.

Every impression counts. Your emailed message may be the very first thing a potential employer sees from you.

How is Sample B better?

The language used in Sample B is professionalized and formal too.

Well if that’s your method of writing I will say nice job to you and CONGRATULATION because I know you will win very soon.

Little Tip I saw on Monster.ca

Formal language, identifying the job you’re applying for, and stating which documents you’ve attached: is there anything you should do in the body of your emailed job application?

Some job seekers like to include a customized, more elaborate cover letter within the body of the email itself. This saves the reader from having to open your separate attachments into a different program.
https://infoducation.com/how-to-send-a-formal-email-for-a-job/
Still, it may make sense to attach a fully formatted, fancy version of the cover letter along with the resume. This way if the employer wants printouts of “good copies” to pass around, they can do so quickly with minimal effort.

You could also try to find out the name and title of the person you’ll be mailing your application to. This is not always necessary, though in higher level jobs it can help you stand out from the crowd. Which of course is something you want to do, when possible, so long as standing out presents you as more qualified or enthusiastic.

In the world of work, quite often “you are what you write.” This is nowhere more true than when submitting your resume and/or cover letter for consideration.
When “Casual” Causes Concerns

Luckily it doesn’t take much to submit a better version of your message

Give Specifics

You’re applying for a specific job. To you it may the one that’s front and center in your mind at this time. But the employer may be posting a number of different positions at once. They’ll probably receive a large number of application emails, not just yours.

So make is easy for them to sort the incoming emails by letting them know which job you’re after. In the Subject Line itself, concisely state the purpose of your email. Mention the job’s title or a reference number that you saw in the advertised posting. You could write something like “Job Application Enclosed: Claims Adjuster, reference A47kj2w1.”

This also applies to the top part of the message you’ll type into the body of this email. You can begin with a header that simply repeats itself, as in “re: Job Application: Claims Adjuster, reference A47kj2w1.”

Use “Business Formal” Language

Email message for job inquiry

SOURCE: https://infoducation.com/how-to-send-a-formal-email-for-a-job/
Re: How To Send A Formal Email For A Job by Daevid(m): 7:22am On Aug 16, 2018
Nice..

(1) (Reply)

Oil & Gas jobs -15 NLNG Latest Jobs You Should Apply For / Buy Handout Before Getting A Job / Logistics/delivery Personnel Needed Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.