Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,573 members, 7,837,168 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread (118449 Views)

US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Us-based Ghanaian Lady Arrested In Attempt To Open Plane Door Mid-flight / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zxNnlGJCIU

I found this video on youtube, whats guys opinion on it, especially for those living here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 11:10pm On Sep 17, 2018
Backfornow:

I like them too. I've watched all the ones on Netflix already. My friend and I tried to watch The Wedding Party 2 on YouTube, but all the uploads were click bait. Anybody have any ideas on how to watch it or other suggestions of must see NollyWood films?

THERE ARE NIGERIAN MOVIES ON NETFLIX!!??!?
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by LUCAS99: 1:05am On Sep 18, 2018
Backfornow:

I like them too. I've watched all the ones on Netflix already. My friend and I tried to watch The Wedding Party 2 on YouTube, but all the uploads were click bait. Anybody have any ideas on how to watch it or other suggestions of must see NollyWood films?

My siblings watch a lot of Nollywood films on IrokoTV.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by LUCAS99: 1:07am On Sep 18, 2018
radautoworks:

There are some Nigerian Movies available on Netflix but most people I know usually watch Nollywood movies on IrokoTV.

3 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 1:56am On Sep 18, 2018
radautoworks:

Yeah, they are in the International section. Once you watch one, Netflix will suggest similar movies.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 2:08am On Sep 18, 2018
LUCAS99:

My siblings watch a lot of Nollywood films on IrokoTV.

I'm not familiar with that.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by LUCAS99: 2:20am On Sep 18, 2018
Backfornow:

I'm not familiar with that.

Just google IrokoTV to learn more about it.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by 2Banty: 4:20am On Sep 18, 2018
Nigerian politics may be dirty but I beg to opine that American politics is freaking ugly! Brett Kavanaugh’s rape allegation is so evil!

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by lillaowow(m): 5:23am On Sep 19, 2018
2Banty:
Nigerian politics may be dirty but I beg to opine that American politics is freaking ugly! Brett Kavanaugh’s rape allegation is so evil!

What is evil about it?

Accuser says she won't testify if there's no FBI investigation.

You think someone making false allegations will be calling on FBI investigation?

Also, American politics has always been "ugly". You guys are just started paying more attention.

3 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 20, 2018
One of the privileges/responsibilities of being a citizen is voting for officials. It's a great thing until you come home open up the mailbox and find this...

Jury duty summons. I got ordered to appear and was chosen to be on the jury for a trial. I will tell you about my experience, it actually turned about to be interesting.

4 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 20, 2018
2-4 weeks before the court date, the court will send out a summons. You are then asked to go to a website to answer a few questions about yourself, for instance if you live in the same county as the court case, or if you have had jury duty in the last 2 years. Depending on the answer, you will be excused from serving. In my case, I was not exempt. You are paid $15 just for reporting for duty, and if you are selected you will get $40 plus mileage.
Not going is not an option. Failure to cooperate is Contempt of Court. Translation-bad things will happen.

Day of...

8am. Ok, fine 8:30, I was late. I encountered the following, rush hour traffic, couldn't find parking, and security clearance.

8:30-10 Entered a room filled with about 300 other people who were summoned. Each person is assigned a number and then divided into pools. Mine was 10. We listened to a short explanation of how the day would go. We then filled out a questionaire, Ex. Do you have any serious obligations that would prevent you from serving, Serious medical conditions, Have you been a victim or perpretator of a crime, Do you have family on the police force, or prosecution, etc.

We then watched a video that explained 1. how the court proceedings work. a. There are two types of trials, civil and criminal. Civil trial is when suing someone for damages. Criminal- committed a crime. In a trial, the burden of proof is on the prosecution. So a defendant does not have to clear himself. The prosecution must prove its case. Also in a criminal case, the vote must be unanimous. All must choose guilty or not guilty. b. Then whether or not a case is a one day trial or longer. 2. what and what not to do in the court room, i.e. yelling out," You're lying" not allowed. You would be sworn in, you would agree to tell the truth when asked by judge and lawyers.Potential jurors would sit in the jury box, and would be asked questions by both sides, to see if you would be a good fit. 12 jurors are chosen, with 1 extra called an alternate. The alternate has the worst job because the whole time, he/she just listens but cannot participate in any discussions. 3. who the players were, i.e. prosecution, defense, judge, defendant, baliff. At that time we would not know what the case would be, we wouldn't know unless we got chosen.

10-12 Wait, wait, wait.
We had to wait for everyone (judge, defendant, prosecution, baliff) to arrive and be ready, and look over our questionaires.

12pm.
Court official comes back into the room, and starts reading off a bunch of names. Mine was chosen. We all lined up into 2 groups and were ushered into the courtroom.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 20, 2018
12 pm We were all asked to stand and pledge to tell the complete truth and were thanked for honoring the call to serve. The judge introduced herself and explained to us that it was a criminal case we would be deciding from 1 year ago and that it would be a 1 day trial. She then gave a brief summary of the case, that it was criminal, and that it was November of 2017, and the defendant's name. She asked if anyone had heard of this case, did anyone know the prosecution, or the defendant personally.
Then 12 people at at a time according to how we were arranged were called into the jury box. The prosecution came up introduced themselves, and proceeded to ask individual questions such as, "What do you think of gun rights in America"? What does possession of something mean to you?" "Have you ever sat on a jury before?" The defense did the same thing. After they asked their questions, the judge asked them to give her the names of those they wanted to keep and those they didnt. Those who they didnt want were excused and sent back to the orginal room because there were 2 cases that jurors were being selected for. So for them, the process would start all over. Those who were selected were sent to the juror room, which was behind the court room, and sealed off from the public.

My group was called next, we were asked, "Can you be fair and open minded in hearing this case''? " Do you know what the gun rights laws are for Indiana, what do you think about them? Me and 4 other people were sent to the jury room where we would wait for the trial to start.

1pm

We were seated in the jury box, sworn in, to listen, be objective, and not to discuss anything with anyone other than the other jurors when we were all present together. Then lunch.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by lillaowow(m): 7:45pm On Sep 20, 2018
All these stress for wetin??...

I don't want jury duty ooo.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 20, 2018
lillaowow:
All these stress for wetin??...

I don't want jury duty ooo.

That was not the worst part, I didn't finish my story cuz I went.to work
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 20, 2018
1pm

The trial started. Just like tv, prosecution opened the case with their opening statement, telling us what the person was accused of and what we would be hearing.

Prosecution called up their expert witnesses, cop, forensics, and lab. Prosecution would ask the witnesses questions and then defense would come and ask their own questions.

If we the jury had questions that we needed clarification, we would wrote them down and pass to the judge. The judge would then call both sides up review the questions. If they were legal questions, the judge allowed it and then the judge asked the witness the question. Several times the two sides argued back and forth with the judge and we were asked to leave the room several times. One fact that forensics said was that finger print analysis is at times unreliable becsuse it is very fragile. Fingerprints are only recovered 16% of the time.
5p. Closing statement
Defense called one 1 witness.
Prosecution made their final argument so did defense. Prosecution then got another chance to rebuttal the defense.
Sent to deliberate the case.
We were given final instructions. Remember all had to agree on the same verdict. We took one vote to see where we were at. 7 guilty 5 not. Not a good sign.
Arguing still.
5 guilty 7 not. Asked what to do if we can't agree. Told to work it out.
Still arguing. Asked again what happens next if we can't agree.
Called by the judge to the courtroom. Asked our representative what our verdict was, we couldnt agree. Did we all agree that we couldn't agree?Responded yes
She says," In this case I declare a mistrial. Prosecution you can retry if you wish. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Thank you for your service. You are free to go."
We all left including the defendant.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Dremca(m): 3:47pm On Sep 21, 2018
This is a true Democratic nation. No bribing of anyone in order to favour either the defendant or the plaintiff.
Backfornow:
1pm

The trial started. Just like tv, prosecution opened the case with their opening statement, telling us what the person was accused of and what we would be hearing.

Prosecution called up their expert witnesses, cop, forensics, and lab. Prosecution would ask the witnesses questions and then defense would come and ask their own questions.

If we the jury had questions that we needed clarification, we would wrote them down and pass to the judge. The judge would then call both sides up review the questions. If they were legal questions, the judge allowed it and then the judge asked the witness the question. Several times the two sides argued back and forth with the judge and we were asked to leave the room several times. One fact that forensics said was that finger print analysis is at times unreliable becsuse it is very fragile. Fingerprints are only recovered 16% of the time.
5p. Closing statement
Defense called one 1 witness.
Prosecution made their final argument so did defense. Prosecution then got another chance to rebuttal the defense.
Sent to deliberate the case.
We were given final instructions. Remember all had to agree on the same verdict. We took one vote to see where we were at. 7 guilty 5 not. Not a good sign.
Arguing still.
5 guilty 7 not. Asked what to do if we can't agree. Told to work it out.
Still arguing. Asked again what happens next if we can't agree.
Called by the judge to the courtroom. Asked our representative what our verdict was, we couldnt agree. Did we all agree that we couldn't agree?Responded yes
She says," In this case I declare a mistrial. Prosecution you can retry if you wish. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Thank you for your service. You are free to go."
We all left including the defendant.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by stonemasonn: 2:04am On Sep 22, 2018
Backfornow:
One of the privileges/responsibilities of being a citizen is voting for officials. It's a great thing until you come home open up the mailbox and find this...

Jury duty summons. I got ordered to appear and was chosen to be on the jury for a trial. I will tell you about my experience, it actually turned about to be interesting.
nice one citizen Backfornow tongue

What was the criteria for choosing you?

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 3:37am On Sep 22, 2018
Backfornow:

Might be illegal to post this. You might want to either take it down or censor it...
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 22, 2018
radautoworks:

Might be illegal to post this. You might want to either take it
down or censor it...

Same thing I thought...but I'll assume he knows what hr can or can not say
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2018
radautoworks:

Might be illegal to post this. You might want to either take it down or censor it...

It's legal. After the trial, jurors can discuss freely. It is now public knowledge. Just like they did in the OJ and other cases. Judge said we couldnt speak until the verdictwas rendered. I gave no identifiable facts or actual details of the case. I deleted my juror number tho.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 7:42pm On Sep 22, 2018
Backfornow:

It's legal. After the trial, jurors can discuss freely. It is now public knowledge. Just like they did in the OJ and other cases. Judge said we couldnt speak until the verdictwas rendered. I gave no identifiable facts or actual details of the case. I deleted my juror number tho.

Not that. I mean the image of your summons
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 22, 2018
radautoworks:

Not that. I mean the image of your summons

Not illegal or wrong in any way bc I did it way after everything was done but I removed it anyway.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by ShowYourCertificate: 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2018
Hi guys please I have a question. I intend immigrating to the States based on k1 visa however I have an international job that warrants I travel often (once every two months).

Please I want to know how long it will take for me to be able to make short travels (1 week) out of the States once I enter with the country with a k1 visa. Those travels are work related.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 2:57pm On Sep 23, 2018
ShowYourCertificate:
Hi guys please I have a question. I intend immigrating to the States based on k1 visa however I have an international job that warrants I travel often (once every two months).

Please I want to know how long it will take for me to be able to make short travels (1 week) out of the States once I enter with the country with a k1 visa. Those travels are work related.

You should call the USCIS number and ask them, they will be able to answer your question.

2 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by lillaowow(m): 2:32am On Sep 24, 2018
ShowYourCertificate:

Probably 3-6months.

Apply for EAD with advance parole together with your green card application. It allows you to travel and re-enter

4 Likes

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by lillaowow(m): 3:32am On Sep 24, 2018
Anyone watching 90day fiancee with the Nigerian guy and the American lady. grin grin grin grin

She took back her "Make American great again hat".. LMAO.

The lady came (probably still is) to Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viLGQwluBTk

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by lillaowow(m): 3:34am On Sep 24, 2018
It looks like She dumped the guy.

His name is Michael Ilesanmi.

Y'all should watch it. It is too funny.. grin grin
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by LUCAS99: 4:50am On Sep 24, 2018
lillaowow:

grin grin grin
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by LUCAS99: 4:58am On Sep 24, 2018
lillaowow:

The video was funny.

But seriously speaking I wonder why many of these my African Brothers always end up with unattractive White Woman.

Could it be because of desparation to get green card?

I mean there are ton of Beautiful Ladies including Hot Single Moms both Black women & White women all over America who will be willing to assist them settle down permanently in the United States.

I mean are beautiful ladies all over the place including Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, New York City, Boston and Washington DC

Never understood why most African guys would choose the unattractive ones.
Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by radautoworks: 5:12am On Sep 24, 2018
LUCAS99:

The video was funny.

But seriously speaking I wonder why many of these my African Brothers always end up with unattractive White Woman.

Could it be because of desparation to get green card?

I mean there are ton of Beautiful Ladies including Hot Single Moms both Black women & White women all over America who will be willing to assist them settle down permanently in the United States.

I mean are beautiful ladies all over the place including Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles, New York City, Boston and Washington DC

Never understood why most African guys would choose the unattractive ones.

Funny how you think it's all about if the women are attractive and that the men have a choice lol. Ever consider the men are not attractive enough for the women you're talking about? grin

And yes, just like black American men with less attractive women, is about what she's doing for them. Being able to live for free without working, etc. Not all the time, but a LOT of the time.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by LUCAS99: 6:17am On Sep 24, 2018
radautoworks:

Funny how you think it's all about if the women are attractive and that the men have a choice lol. Ever consider the men are not attractive enough for the women you're talking about? grin

And yes, just like black American men with less attractive women, is about what she's doing for them. Being able to live for free without working, etc. Not all the time, but a LOT of the time.

grin grin grin

Quite a possibility.

But I believe that there way too many beautiful ladies in the United States for one to settle with the least attractive ones.

1 Like

Re: American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread by Babyvet: 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2018
LUCAS99:

grin grin grin

Quite a possibility.

But I believe that there way too many beautiful ladies in the United States for one to settle with the least attractive ones.

Well attractiveness is relative . For our African brothers getting a green card is big goal. Going through the green card process is very tough , I’m not really sure how many people that want to sponser foreigners like that. If one is really attractive here the it is believed that you would not have to look for love overseas .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (73) (Reply)

The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.