₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,257,461 members, 4,938,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2019 at 08:22 PM

Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam (963 Views)

Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Attends Imo Yam Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:28am On Aug 17, 2018
It has been a matter of debate on the origin of eguisi nd pounded yam it is not of outermost important but history must be told .it is seen by men to have different origin .it is a well respected food in the southern part of nigeria but most people dont know the origin..it has been proven factually that that pounded yam(iyan) and egusi(ohue) trace its origin to edo state same as other soap like bitter leaf .it was documented by europeans when they visited benin this type of food and how they give it to thier gods in thier festival period ..the igue festival is a festival that celebrate new yam in edo
This yams are pounded and eating along with eguisi soup..it is believed that this food spread over other vassal state under the benin Kingdom due to benin influence it was a food that Duke's couldnt do with during festive period such as the igue festival which have different names in different names in different state

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by RedboneSmith(m): 5:20am On Aug 17, 2018
Trying to trace pounded yam down to a particular ethnic group would be a laughable venture. Pounding of yams probably pre-dates all the modern ethnic groups in West Africa.

Ethnic origin of egusi soup is perhaps possible to trace, but forget about pounded yam.

3 Likes

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by mrbaba18(m): 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2018
I dnt knw 4 pounded yam though we d igbos we celebrate d yam very well bt as 4 egusi soup we d igbos own it cus no tribe in Africa can cook d soup d way we d igbos cook it

4 Likes

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by jyz200(m): 9:20pm On Aug 18, 2018
me no no
Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by agadez007(m): 11:28pm On Aug 18, 2018
mrbaba18:
I dnt knw 4 pounded yam though we d igbos we celebrate d yam very well bt as 4 egusi soup we d igbos own it cus no tribe in Africa can cook d soup d way we d igbos cook it
Confirmento
Igbo all the way
By the way,Igbo also own pounded yam,before the coming of the Portugese with Cassaava In the 1600s we were already eating pounded yam

1 Like

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 2:16am On Aug 19, 2018
mrbaba18:

It doesn't matter how u cook it .if urs is the d best it doesn't ulter it origin coming from elsewhere i guess edo had influence in some igbos state before d advent of d british i bet d onitscha celebrate d new yam festivals also with d aniomas in delta state .igobos have thier own indigenous soup definitely not egusi .religiously eguisi nd pounded had been offered to Benin deities over time nd it was prepared traditionally dats y benin has only 3 soup easily found in thier region waterleaf soup,bitter leaf soap,nd egusi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 2:20am On Aug 19, 2018
agadez007:
Confirmento
Igbo all the way
By the way,Igbo also own pounded yam,before the coming of the Portugese with Cassaava In the 1600s we were already eating pounded yam

And the Portuguese came to benin 1475 c

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by mrbaba18(m): 9:09am On Aug 19, 2018
gregyboy:

It doesn't matter how u cook it .if urs is the d best it doesn't ulter it origin coming from elsewhere i guess edo had influence in some igbos state before d advent of d british i bet d onitscha celebrate d new yam festivals also with d aniomas in delta state .igobos have thier own indigenous soup definitely not egusi .religiously eguisi nd pounded had been offered to Benin deities over time nd it was prepared traditionally dats y benin has only 3 soup easily found in thier region waterleaf soup,bitter leaf soap,nd egusi
my guy u are very funny wit dis ur logic u can say d hausa ppl prepare d fura milk more dn d fulani d owners of fura. Abeg liv egusi soup 4 we d igbos nd luk 4 sumtng else remember no 1 cn beat u 2 ur own dance dy cn only imitate

1 Like

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 11:11am On Aug 19, 2018
mrbaba18:
my guy u are very funny wit dis ur logic u can say d hausa ppl prepare d fura milk more dn d fulani d owners of fura. Abeg liv egusi soup 4 we d igbos nd luk 4 sumtng else remember no 1 cn beat u 2 ur own dance dy cn only imitate

U make me laff egusi is no where igbos .igbos will be the list to ever claim it..everything called culture now in igbo is the influence of the late 18century to the present uptill the clothes been worn even to the kings who were warant chiefs even to the biafra as a word is foreign along side ur yam festivals to igbos .the only man in igbo land to claim it would be the obi who traces an influence to edo land wonder ur supiority with no good evidence ....untill u prove to me ur argument is baselss

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by FisifunKododada: 3:12am On Aug 20, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin Yibows wan claim Egusi soup? Wonders shall never end grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by Fatherofdragons: 12:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
gregyboy:

U make me laff egusi is no where igbos .igbos will be the list to ever claim it..everything called culture now in igbo is the influence of the late 18century to the present uptill the clothes been worn even to the kings who were warant chiefs even to the biafra as a word is foreign along side ur yam festivals to igbos .the only man in igbo land to claim it would be the obi who traces an influence to edo land wonder ur supiority with no good evidence ....untill u prove to me ur argument is baselss

u ppl have started this ur disgusting lies again, if u don't know anything about igbos try and learn, don't come here and say sh*t.

Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:47am On Aug 21, 2018
Fatherofdragons:

[/b]u ppl have started this ur disgusting lies again[b], if u don't know anything about igbos try and learn, don't come here and say sh*t.

U amaze me with the bolded words ....u just lay with no backups ....so u just going to expect everyone to believe am lying ...

Note: not everyone who can write are educated most are literate just like you
Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by Fatherofdragons: 10:39am On Aug 21, 2018
gregyboy:

I amaze you with the bolded words ....i just lay with no backups ....so am just going to expect everyone to believe am lying ...

Note: not everyone who can write are educated most are illiterate just like me

u just described ur self to me.

Thanks
Re: Who Own Egusi And Pounded Yam by babyfaceafrica: 11:57am On Aug 21, 2018
we don't care..rabbish topic

(1) (Reply)

Americans Who Could Pass For Any Nigerian Nation / What Is Igbo / The Republic Of Ireland Says “yes” To Same-sex Marriage Through A Popular Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.