Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup (5194 Views)

Benin, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / Which Language Is The Most Difficult? Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 9:33pm On Mar 12, 2020
It happens that the word egusi is sounding yoruba or igbo but it doesn't connate its origin from any of this areas
As a matter of fact yam is a foreign food crop to africa, yam was introduced to africa by the Portuguese who traded it for monetary gains, yam and melon are original asian food crops

The Portuguese traded not only food crops with the locals but also traded livestock, the only people the Portuguese had trade relationships with in nigeria were the benins,
Who happened to bought the yams and melon plant from the Portuguese traders
The delicacy may had gotten to the yorubas through benin cultural influence areas like ondo, ekiti so its safe for some part of yorubas to lay clajm to it than our igbos brothers

Yam is called iyan in edo and pounded yam is ema" , yam festival is celebrated in edo to mark the end of the year and the beginning of a new year after the raining season,
The celebration begins from the oba palace where the yams are pounded to ema and egusi soup are made with native chicken which were originally brought by the Portuguese too, and after the preparation the food is first offered to the gods, the egusi soup is prepared with no oil or ingredients when given to the idols

Egusi and pounded yam is one of edo culture that had lost it roots because of several adoption
Egusi and pounded yam its a delicacy to other tribe but it is religious food to its original edo people

Words like pineapple in edo can also be traced to the whiremen for its origin

Pineapple which is called eden-ebo( whiteman fruit)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Lekison(m): 9:36pm On Mar 12, 2020
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Born2Breed(f): 9:56pm On Mar 12, 2020
Any Benin occasion without pounded yam and egusi is incomplete.

Yoruba's are always amala n ewedu while the Igbo's are akpu and bitterleaf soup or oha.

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by PlayerMeji: 10:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Okay, so what will happen to our oil vessels at sea with no one buying our sweet bonny light crude even at $30..
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by henrygale(m): 10:32pm On Mar 12, 2020
Okay
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by RedboneSmith(m): 6:39am On Mar 13, 2020
gregyboy:

As a matter of fact yam is a foreign food crop to africa, yam was introduced to africa by the Portuguese who traded it for monetary gains, yam and melon are original asian food crops

You see this thing you wrote here? "... yam is a foreign food crop to Africa..." Don't repeat it anywhere else. This is what happens when people only acquire half-knowledge but won't keep quiet about it.

The Portuguese only introduced one variety of yam. That is Dioscorea alata or water yam. It is not even 100% certain that it was the Portuguese who first brought it to West Africa, as there is a chance that it could have diffused through other means from Asia to East Africa and then overland from East Africa to West Africa without the agency of the Portuguese. But for the purpose of this argument, let's agree it was introduced by the Portuguese.

What you do not know is that before water yam came, West Africans had their own native species of yam which they domesticated on their own thousands of years ago. The most prominent of these species is Dioscorea cayennensis also known as the yellow yam, and its subspecies Dioscorea rotundata also known as the white yam. The collective name for this species and subspecies is the Guinea yam. These native species are still highly valued in many West African cultures, more so than the Asian species.

Guinea was the name that the early Europeans gave to the entire West African Coast. The yellow and the white yam were called 'Guinea yam' because they came from nowhere but West Africa. Among the Jamaicans it was even called Eboe yam in recognition of the fact that it was already an Igbo staple by the time the Atlantic slave trade opened up and slave ship captains often bought the yams to feed the slaves enroute to the New World.

So next time you think you've stumbled on 'brand new' information, it will do you some good to just research a little deeper and save yourself and the rest of us this sort of misleading information.

16 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 9:48am On Mar 13, 2020
RedboneSmith:

You see this thing you wrote here? "... yam is a foreign food crop to Africa..." Don't repeat it anywhere else. This is what happens when people only acquire half-knowledge but won't keep quiet about it.

The Portuguese only introduced one variety of yam. That is Dioscorea alata or water yam. It is not even 100% certain that it was the Portuguese who first brought it to West Africa, as there is a chance that it could have diffused through other means from Asia to East Africa and then overland from East Africa to West Africa without the agency of the Portuguese. But for the purpose of this argument, let's agree it was introduced by the Portuguese.

What you do not know is that before water yam came, West Africans had their own native species of yam which they domesticated on their own thousands of years ago. The most prominent of these species is Dioscorea cayennensis also known as the yellow yam, and its subspecies Dioscorea rotundata also known as the white yam. The collective name for this species and subspecies is the Guinea yam. These native species are still highly valued in many West African cultures, more so than the Asian species.

Guinea was the name that the early Europeans gave to the entire West African Coast. The yellow and the white yam were called 'Guinea yam' because they came from nowhere but West Africa. Among the Jamaicans it was even called Eboe yam in recognition of the fact that it was already an Igbo staple by the time the Atlantic slave trade opened up and slave ship captains often bought the yams to feed the slaves enroute to the New World.

So next time you think you've stumbled on 'brand new' information, it will do you some good to just research a little deeper and save yourself and the rest of us this sort of misleading information.

Guinea you make reference to its a Portuguese colony
I doubt if the whole of west africa was once recognized as guniea because the Portuguese had made reference to benin and other places as early as 15century
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by RedboneSmith(m): 1:30pm On Mar 13, 2020
gregyboy:

Guinea you make reference to its a Portuguese colony
I doubt if the whole of west africa was once recognized as guniea because the Portuguese had made reference to benin and other places as early as 15century

Wrong again. The general word for the whole coastal and forest region of West Africa in precolonial days was Guinea.

See the link below for some detail.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Guinea-region-Africa

'Guinea' encompassed all of the Grain Coast, the Ivory Coast, the Slave Coast, the Gold Coast and beyond as far as modern Cameroun. And that includes your Benin.

Even as recently as 1954, a British traveller to West Africa wrote a book she called 'Four Guineas', which was about her visit to four West African countries: Sierra Leone, the Gold Coast (now Ghana), Nigeria and the Gambia; because these countries are in the region called Guinea.

The fact that three African countries (Republic of Guinea, Equatorial Guinea and Guinea-Bissau) now use Guimea in their names should not confuse you as to who the word originally applied to, i.e., all West Africans south of the Sudan region.

Also see the map attached.

6 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 9:06pm On Mar 13, 2020
Born2Breed:
Any Benin occasion without pounded yam and egusi is incomplete.

Yoruba's are always amala n ewedu while the Igbo's are akpu and bitterleaf soup or oha.

Sometimes if you don't know what to say just shut up...

Oyo and Ogbomosho axis like Amala and ewedu...very well

It's not common in Ondo and Ekiti..

Pounded yam/Eba is our food for Ondo..

I don't for once like Amala.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Born2Breed(f): 9:16pm On Mar 13, 2020
Sammy07:

Sometimes it's good to be a little less silly when mentioning others. You are definitely being hyper silly now.
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 10:02pm On Mar 13, 2020
Born2Breed:

Sometimes it's good to be a little less silly when mentioning others. You are definitely being hyper silly now.

That's the plain truth deal with it.
Not all Yorubas liked Amala or fancy it.
You just sit down in your house and dishing out false info

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 11:01pm On Mar 13, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Our ancestor never wrote you just imagined the others were originally planted in africa before the arrival of Portuguese
When you vividly yam cultivation entired so many countries in the early 20 century

If you want me to belive this in as much as i want to bring viable source and not speculation

The source i had brought there was a research work and not claims

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 11:03pm On Mar 13, 2020
Sammy07:

Edo/benin families can still be found in edo and ekiti till date
You are simply stating the obvious

I did mention it in my post
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 6:28am On Mar 14, 2020
gregyboy:

I'm only responding to born2breed that says Amala is Yoruba food..
Which is wrong...

Those that liked Amala very well are those that were conquered by Oyo empire...
From Oyo to Ogbomosho to Kwara then Osun...

Ondo, Ekiti, Ijebu, Egba.. Ijesha don't like Amala as much as the states I mentioned above...

You can never go to Ekiti or Ondo and tell us Amala is our best food or we liked it that much, you go receive a sounding slap..

Pounded yam and Eba is our food.

Now back to u, you said Edo and Benin families are found in Ekiti.
Where in ekiti??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 6:31am On Mar 14, 2020
gregyboy:

by the way, is it because I mentioned pounded yam?

Note that Yorubas have been eating yam long before You start your empire...

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 8:12am On Mar 14, 2020
Sammy07:

I'm only responding to born2breed that says Amala is Yoruba food..
Which is wrong...

Those that liked Amala very well are those that were conquered by Oyo empire...
From Oyo to Ogbomosho to Kwara then Osun...

Ondo, Ekiti, Ijebu, Egba.. Ijesha don't like Amala as much as the states I mentioned above...

You can never go to Ekiti or Ondo and tell us Amala is our best food or we liked it that much, you go receive a sounding slap..

Pounded yam and Eba is our food.

Now back to u, you said Edo and Benin families are found in Ekiti.
Where in ekiti??

The royalties in some part of ekiti are edos no doubt and some commoners who had integrated to yoruba culture can still be found there

Oyo influence some segment of yorubas with thier cultural food

The edos did the thesame to the other part of yorubas
Its funny now that egusi and pounded yam is now a general delicacy in nigeria a food originally
Giving to idol

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 8:14am On Mar 14, 2020
Sammy07:

Lol, sir dont make assumptions back your words with proves
Because am not going to be moved by this statement of yours at all
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 8:26am On Mar 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, sir dont make assumptions back your words with proves
Because am not going to be moved by this statement of yours at all

gregyboy:

The royalties in some part of ekiti are edos no doubt and some commoners who had integrated to yoruba culture can still be found there

Its funny now that egusi and pounded yam is now a general delicacy in nigeria a food originally
Giving to idol

Okay let me not speak for others.
Lemme speak for my own city.
(Ondo City).

Please take 2 - 4mins of your time to go through this.

Pupupu, a female, was one of the twin children of Oba Oluaso, who was said to have reigned in Oyo in the 15th Century. The other twin, a male, was named Orere. Twin birth in those days was considered an abomination and a strange phenomenon, esemawe, as a historical source interpreted it. Conventionally, the twins and their mother were instantly put to death, to prevent the imminent bad omen which was believed to be synonymous with their arrival. But because Olu, the mother of the children was one of the favourites of the King, her life and those of the twins were spared. They were however with an entourage of slaves under the guidance of a hunter called Ija, sent out of the palace with a beaded crown and an Akoko tree, signifying their royalty. Those were to accord them the dignity and the reverence due to royalty. Again, their father against the tradition of multi tribal marks of Oyo, incised two long tribal marks, one on each side of the cheek. Oluaso was apparently conscious of the fact that he may not set his eyes on the children for a long time, hence those facial marks were incised on them, so that they would be recognizable any time they were seen or if they came back home. This explains the origin of the tribal marks of Ondo to date.

The group wandered through the forest till they got to a place called Epin, near Gbere, whose inhabitants were referred to as Ibariba. They were well received and catered for until the death of Oba Oluaso in 1497. They headed back to Oyo when the succeeding king did not treat them fairly, but Onigbogi, the reigning king had to send them back to a virgin land compassed about by Ife, Ijesa, Ekiti, Ado(Benin) and Ijebu communities. They later got to Igbo Ijamo (the forest discovered by Ija). The group apparently stayed in this place for some time. Eventually they found lgbo Ijamo unsafe and therefore continued their journey eastward, until they finally got to a place called Epe, not far from the present Ondo town.

They were in Epe for many years and as they journeyed on, they passed through a hill which is today known as Oke Agunla and one of the communities that make up the present day Ondo Kingdom. From this hill, they spotted some smoke and headed in its direction. There they met a man called Ekiri one of the original inhabitants of the area. The Ifa oracle, as was the usual practice then, was consulted on the prospects of the newly found location. The oracle instructed them to take along with them a yam stake (edo), as their walking stick. They were to poke the stick into the ground as they went along their way, and wherever the stick didn’t bond with the land, they were to settle.

The group left Epe and proceeded as instructed by the oracle until they got to a place where the yam stake did not penetrate the ground. The group chorused in surprise Edo du do, (The yam stake would not stick in). According to oral history, the word Ondo is a contraction of the sentence “Edo du do”.

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 8:29am On Mar 14, 2020
gregyboy:

And you guys refuse to accept that the royalties of Benin has Yoruba blood.

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by RedboneSmith(m): 9:16am On Mar 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Our ancestor never wrote you just imagined the others were originally planted in africa before the arrival of Portuguese
When you vividly yam cultivation entired so many countries in the early 20 century

If you want me to belive this in as much as i want to bring viable source and not speculation

The source i had brought there was a research work and not claims

It will actually cost you nothing (except a little data) to go online yourself and look at the copious number of research work and literature on the origin and domestication of D. cayensis and D. rotundata.

Don't be intellectually lazy.

7 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Opiletool(m): 9:49am On Mar 14, 2020
Sammy07:

They didn't have an empire, but a tiny kingdom.
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Opiletool(m): 10:00am On Mar 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Giving to idol

Oga shut up. Those who left Benin to settle in neighbouring yoruba towns were those who left ife to rule benin with oranmiyan, but later left oranmiyan at benin when they found the igodomigodo people unruly and unreasonably aggressive. Hence the reason oranmiyan himself had to leave the place after naming it land of vexation {Ile ibinu, corrupted to bini, then benin}.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Sammy07: 10:15am On Mar 14, 2020
Opiletool:

Oga shut up. Those who left Benin to settle in neighbouring yoruba towns were those who left ife to rule benin with oranmiyan, but later left oranmiyan at benin when they found the igodomigodo people unruly and unreasonably aggressive. Hence the reason oranmiyan himself had to leave the place after naming it land of vexation {Ile ibinu, corrupted to bini, then benin}.

When Oranmiyan gave birth to eweka, and left the Benin in anger.

Benin people claimed Oranmiyan is Benin.
Why is it that Oranmiyan that created Oyo didn't influence Benin culture on Oyo people?

Why Is it that some of Yoruba gods still dey appear in Benin...

Don't mind them

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Opiletool(m): 10:29am On Mar 14, 2020
Sammy07:

Why is it that Oranmiyan that created Oyo didn't influence Benin culture on Oyo people?

Don't mind them

Abi. They claim they influence this and that town, yet no traces of their language and culture in those towns. All they do now is claim Yorubas titles and gods as their own and try to spin narrative that it's we Yorubas that stole those titles, when the titles have no meaning or history in their language. Imagine, they are claiming oba, olokun, etc as their words. How stupid and ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by kayfra: 12:02pm On Mar 14, 2020
You can see that Yorubas started using Oyibo and Oyinbo before some fraudulent iPob starts appropriating our words.

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 7:15am On Mar 16, 2020
Opiletool:

Thanks for spilling trash

Im the face of fact you spill fairytale good
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 16, 2020
Sammy07:

Seriously?
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 1:42pm On Mar 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Oga edo no get soup.

You guys should stop disturbing us with una 5 to 7 local government area.

Egusi na Igbo personified and na Igbos cook am well to satisfaction.

2 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 16, 2020
Sammy07:

Don't mind them

No mind them Benin are yorubas.

3 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 1:49pm On Mar 16, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Oga edo no get soup.

You guys should stop disturbing us with una 5 to 7 local government area.

Egusi na Igbo personified and na Igbos cook am well to satisfaction.

Lol,, funny indigenous pig

7 local govt and your king hold its root to benin

Egusi is never igbo soup

Who knew igbos before the arrival of the britsh
What makes igbo culture todays is borrowed cultures from different tribe

Try to debate it and i would prove to you all your cultual practice were borrowed from different tribe

4 Likes

Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by gregyboy(m): 1:51pm On Mar 16, 2020
MelesZenawi:

No mind them Benin are yorubas.

Yorubas are benins

We gave you all the most precious ooni
Oduduwa and not the fairytale guy who trekked from mecca or the nigga that was a climber
Re: Egusi Is Not Yoruba Or Igbo Soup by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol,, funny indigenous pig

7 local govt and your king hold its root to benin

Egusi is never igbo soup

Who knew igbos before the arrival of the britsh
What makes igbo culture todays is borrowed cultures from different tribe

Try to debate it and i would prove to you all your cultual practice were borrowed from different tribe

It is a waste of time engaging people with 7 local governments.

We are not your mates...

Argue with your fellow yorubas because binis are yorubas and vice versa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Typical Afro-centric Ways / If You Can Speak Yoruba Pls Translate This / Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.