Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,450 members, 7,850,572 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:07 AM

If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria (2563 Views)

PDP Lost Because Jonathan Flouted Zoning Arrangement – Party Chief / Non-indigenes In Lagos Must Respect Their Hosts– Akiolu / Njemanze Harps On The Need To Sustain Imo Zoning Arrangement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by mensdept: 2:50am On Jun 25, 2010
@OnlyTruth

On paper Orji Kalu, Udenwa, Nnamani, Egwu, Odili, Ibori, Igbinedion, and co would never rule in the former or future (if so) Biafra.

But in reality I wont be surprised if they are MPs in a new Biafra and go for 2nd terms.

In the case of Anambra state, a compromised and weak APGA was actually "given" the governor slot, just like PPA was "given" to Imo (until the real switch back to PDP occurred lol).

How could you expect Soludo to come from no where and win Anambra state when the Ubah's and their camp are still there, and PDP is content with controlling the state legislature, Fed. Reps and Senators?

Now, if the mentality does change for a new Biafra or even for the current SE/SS zone(s), then yes, I can't see Orji (Theo or Kalu) sitting sideways in State House. But as you should know, many in those states and throughout Naija arent serious about that type of change.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by mensdept: 2:54am On Jun 25, 2010
Dede1:

It is unbelievable show of political naiveté and inherent stupidity for some Nigerians to appear twisted out of human form because of certain arrangements of a political party while leaving comfortable with ill-intended quota system, divisive policy of abandon property, draconian boundary adjustment and economic strangulation of certain section of the jungle called Nigeria.

All these silly and worthless sermons about the PDP rotational presidency that suddenly found their way into the mouths of few disgruntled southern Nigerians would have been a war sung if Yar adua had selected northeastern fellow as Vice President instead of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.

Some Nigerians should be mindful of the fact that democracy tends to follow the sum of numbers and human dynamism. The last time I checked though, northern region of Nigeria is the home of the aforementioned political nuances. Do not be fooled by the newly found ranting that north is not politically monolithic. 

Dede are you sure about that? The last time I checked the British handed over to the North and they are still Monolithic.

Also, there's nothing wrong with power sharing if you have credible leaders, because naturally, the power sharing will fizzle out and give way to a then equal playing field.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Jun 25, 2010
@mens dept

I don't understand what you meant by "In the case of Anambra state, a compromised and weak APGA was actually "given" the governor slot". If I'm not mistaken, HELL would have broken loose in Anambra if anyone dared rig that election.  undecided
Lots of community organizing and mass mobilization went into that election. If you doubt me, let's hope that Jonathan sticks to his promise to organize a free and fair elections next year. Let's see who among the current thieves would be returned to office.
It is a  no brainer. Thieves never won elections in any part of Igboland, even council elections. All the ones that "won" those elections actually stole them.  cool
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by mensdept: 3:06am On Jun 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

@mens dept

It is a  no brainer. Thieves never won elections in any part of Igboland, even council elections. All the ones that "won" those elections actually stole them.  cool

Yes indeed, you hit the nail there, but suppose that the election was rigged? PDP would know what to do, and in fact they did what was in their political strategy: To seed governor house to APGA in Anambra.

Afterall, why tip the boat when Obi can only do a little here and there. PDP still effectively controls Anambra and includes in it's rank a Compromised APGA. But let's see what happens next year.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 3:08am On Jun 25, 2010
We the people in the East has always wanted a nation of our own. What has Nigeria done for the East except leech off of us.

A fool at 50 is still a fool. We have no business being in this union. Lets form smaller nations which can be better managed. People are tired of waiting. Do we have to wait another 50 years to know that this nation is not working.

Let us watch the referendum in Sudan and see how that nation breaks away.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Dede1(m): 3:17am On Jun 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

OMGosh!!! I cannot believe this. For once I agree with this dude!!!  shocked shocked shocked

Somebody pinch me. . .  I definitely am having a nightmare!!! ROFLMAO!!

For the first time, you seemed not to be miserably driven by solid tribal fuel. I am not worried because people who think they are dreamers are just sleepers.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 3:22am On Jun 25, 2010
mens dept:

Yes indeed, you hit the nail there, but suppose that the election was rigged? PDP would know what to do, and in fact they did what was in their political strategy: To seed governor house to APGA in Anambra.

Afterall, why tip the boat when Obi can only do a little here and there. PDP still effectively controls Anambra and includes in it's rank a Compromised APGA. But let's see what happens next year.

Last time I checked the governor was implementing his APGA manifesto and his ANIDS, none of which are PDP products.
Let me tell you, PDP is being tolerated in Anambra state, not the other way round. People are not just fed up with PDP, they are militantly opposed to it.
If you say that the PDP controlled federal government allowed peace to reign in Anambra by allowing peoples choice, you would be correct. But don't make it seem as if Anambra folks are PDP lovers.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Dede1(m): 3:26am On Jun 25, 2010
mens dept:

Dede are you sure about that? The last time I checked the British handed over to the North and they are still Monolithic.

Also, there's nothing wrong with power sharing if you have credible leaders, because naturally, the power sharing will fizzle out and give way to a then equal playing field.

I suggest you read my comment again. It is a response to current crap making rounds that northern Nigeria is not politically monolithic.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:10am On Jun 25, 2010
Dede1:

For the first time, you seemed not to be miserably driven by solid tribal fuel. I am not worried because people who think they are dreamers are just sleepers.

Actually, that would be ALL you because to this point I have yet to inform any of you what ethnicity I happen to be. All that drivel comes from you and not me. I simply throw back your own argument in your face so as to help you see how that card actually plays only one way.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by bkbabe97: 5:56am On Jun 25, 2010
Onlytruth:

Ok, really here is what I think about this zoning thing: It is an agreement, and normally agreements are meant to be kept. However, Nigeria lost the privilege of enjoying the benefits of agreements after breaching the Aburi Accord of 1966.

Man, shut the hell up u lying, history twisting, piece of shiyyyt!!! How did Nigeria breach the Aburi accord? Did Ojuku not promise to recognize Col.Gowon as President/Head of State as soon as he landed in Nigeria? Wut the hell did he turn around and do once his boat landed in the creeks of Ibo land? He quickly declared himself king, thats wut the fool did! Freaking cowards! Yall tried to hand over power to the Military. When that failed u planned a coup killing all non-Ibo snr Politicians and Military officers. Then when the Hausas revenged u started crying "victim". FUNCK YALL!!! Fuxck U a bILLION TIMES, U pretending pieces of shiyyt! Your fathers aint tell u how the Ibos killed the Premier of the North and the Prime minister, or how Ibos traders in the North hung pictures of the decapitated bodies of these men (the Premier and Prime Minister) in front of their stores. Did your fathers forget to remind u how the Ibo traders regularly taunted their hosts with the pictures of the dead men- - - -muslim men that were supposed to be buried IMMEDIATELY they passed away, but were left to rot on a table for almost a week!!!

You pieces of shiyyt, all your King Ojukwu the First wanted was the oil the greedy beast!:

Ojukwu initially tried to get Shell/BP to pay royalties to the Biafran government rather than the FMG. The oil companies, after giving the Biafrans a small token payment, eventually refused and Ojuwku responded by sequestering Shell’s property and installations, forbidding Shell to do any further business and ordering all its staff out. They ‘have much to lose if the FMG do not achieve the expected victory’, George Thomas noted in August 1967. A key British aim throughout the war was to secure the lifting of the blockade which Gowon imposed on the east and which stopped oil exports.

http://markcurtis./2007/02/13/nigeriabiafra-1967-70/

The Accord

Aburi accord is as follows:
"Members agree that the legislative and executive authority of the Federal Military Government should remain in the Supreme Military Council, to which any decision affecting the whole country shall be referred for determination provided that where it is possible for a meeting to be held the matter requiring determination must be referred to military governors for their comment and concurrence.
Specifically, the council agreed that appointments to senior ranks in the police, diplomatic, and consular services as well as appointment to superscale posts in the federal civil service and the equivalent posts in the statutory corporation must be approved by the Supreme Military Council.
The regional members felt that all the decrees passed since January 15, 1966, and which detracted from previous powers and positions of regional governments, should be repealed if mutual confidence is to be restored[4].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aburi_Accord

Then u fools try to invade Western Nigeria. . . . man, i'm tired of talking 'bout this shiyyt. Funck Yall!!!!

IF YOUR CAUSE IS A TRUE AND JUST ONE, THE REST OF THE WORLD WOULD HAVE BACKED YALL!!! THE WESTERN GOVTS AINT EVEN PAYING YALL NO MIND, DOESNT THAT TELL U FOOOOOLS SOMETHING?!
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Eddeux(m): 7:04am On Jun 25, 2010
EzeUche:

We the people in the East has always wanted a nation of our own. What has Nigeria done for the East except leech off of us.

A fool at 50 is still a fool. We have no business being in this union. Lets form smaller nations which can be better managed. People are tired of waiting. Do we have to wait another 50 years to know that this nation is not working.
Let us watch the referendum in Sudan and see how that nation breaks away.
You live in America, no? And you are promoting violence in Nigeria?  angry angry sad sad angry sad A nation's size doesn't determine how it's managed. Maybe I don't have any business talkin' about this subject (since I'm not Nigerian), but it's the  universal law that in order to get a nation to develop you need leaders who are willing to lead. So instead of a breakup, why not secede the corrupt leaders from the union instead? It would be a hell of a lot easier, imo.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Justcash(m): 7:16am On Jun 25, 2010
Eddeux:

You live in America, no? And you are promoting violence in Nigeria?  angry angry sad sad angry sad A nation's size doesn't determine how it's managed. Maybe I don't have any business talkin' about this subject (since I'm not Nigerian), but it's the  universal law that in order to get a nation to develop you need leaders who are willing to lead. So instead of a breakup, why not secede the corrupt leaders from the union instead? It would be a hell of a lot easier, imo.

Good point. But You must know that good leadership also comes with passion to lead. In a Nigeria that is not united, the passion of our leaders is dedicated to a certain portion of the population. The key word here is "Unity". It is clear that people with some form of  homogeneity in culture and belief  tend to be united. That is why break up is a viable option.

As for seceding corrupt leaders, I don't get what you mean. However, most of these leaders would never have the chance to lead if they get into a political atmosphere that is more united than divided. Like Jonathan said in a meeting with Nigerians in diaspora before the Canadian G8 meeting (I was there), Most politicians gain political favor and positions by canvassing and promoting ethnic division and strife.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Princek12(m): 1:20pm On Jun 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Actually, that would be ALL you because to this point I have yet to inform any of you what ethnicity I happen to be. All that drivel comes from you and not me. I simply throw back your own argument in your face so as to help you see how that card actually plays only one way.

What is really your point? Are you supporting a presidential system based on a rotational basis--that is, for example, only Northern candidates can contest in a particular election while candidates from other regions cannot contest, and vice versa?
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 1:55pm On Jun 25, 2010
Princek12:

What is really your point? Are you supporting a presidential system based on a rotational basis--that is, for example, only Northern candidates can contest in a particular election while candidates from other regions cannot contest, and vice versa?
There is NO presidential system based on rotation. . . . that is just a delusion created by people out there who find it hard to separate their fears of PDP, and have allowed it to paralyze themselves and essentially accepted they are doomed by the PDP.

Constitutionally, a president can come from any region or ethnic group in the country, in no certain order; there has been no amendment to that and will likely never be one. The Nigerian Constitution is what should matter and nothing else. If the constitution does not in any way subject us to rotational presidency, why do we bother with this argument?

All my posts have been clear and in English, even to this point on this. I am not sure what it is you refuse to understand in all.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Princek12(m): 8:06pm On Jun 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

There is NO presidential system based on rotation. . . . that is just a delusion created by people out there who find it hard to separate their fears of PDP, and have allowed it to paralyze themselves and essentially accepted they are doomed by the PDP.

Constitutionally, a president can come from any region or ethnic group in the country, in no certain order; there has been no amendment to that and will likely never be one. The Nigerian Constitution is what should matter and nothing else. If the constitution does not in any way subject us to rotational presidency, why do we bother with this argument?

All my posts have been clear and in English, even to this point on this. I am not sure what it is you refuse to understand in all.

I agree that there is no constitutional provision supporting a rotational presidency. I also do understand that members of PDP agreed to support candidacy based on a rotational basis. If that is the case, why should we support such divisive policies, even if it is within the confines of the PDP party?
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Jun 25, 2010
Princek12:

I agree that there is no constitutional provision supporting a rotational presidency. I also do understand that members of PDP agreed to support candidacy based on a rotational basis. If that is the case, why should we support such divisive policies, even if it is within the confines of the PDP party?
I am not a PDP member here and I am guessing you are not. So I don't understand why the question of support of that which applies only to PDP fraternity members comes up here.

By the way, rotational government agreement also applies within other groups across Nigeria. I would bet that most all the other Parties, even AC, have something of this sort going on. So why this one in particular?
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by 006(m): 11:24pm On Jun 25, 2010
Those that are hoping that Nigeria will get better, if they could point out one thing (not including telecom) that has improved in Nigeria since 1990, then I’ll keep hoping.

I won’t still be alive in the next 100 yrs to know whether improvements have occurred in Nigeria, so I’ll rather see the country break into manageable pieces now.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Princek12(m): 11:37pm On Jun 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am not a PDP member here and I am guessing you are not. So I don't understand why the question of support of that which applies only to PDP fraternity members comes up here.

By the way, rotational government agreement also applies within other groups across Nigeria. I would bet that most all the other Parties, even AC, have something of this sort going on. So why this one in particular?

First, could you mention the other groups in Nigeria that practice rotational government along tribal lines? Second, this one in particular is serious because it deals with the presidency, the most important position in any country. The person who assumes presidency should, presumably, be the most qualified person for the job. Any agreement that could subvert the process of sitting the most qualified should be met with suspicion and disdain.

Why should the idea of rotational presidency come up in the first place? Anyone who supports such an idea is putting their selfish deeds ahead of national welfare, for in essence that idea supports a situation where a tribal group should be given the presidency even when they put forth a candidate who is unqualified. Such self serving ideologies is inconsistent with achieving a greater Nigeria, and Nigeria might as well split so those who support rotational presidency can govern themselves.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:46pm On Jun 25, 2010
Princek12:

First, could you mention the other groups in Nigeria that practice rotational government along tribal lines?
I did mention that AC probably has similar arrangement.
Princek12:

Second, this one in particular is serious because it deals with the presidency, the most important position in any country. The person who assumes presidency should, presumably, be the most qualified person for the job. Any agreement that could subvert the process of sitting the most qualified should be met with suspicion and disdain.
But PDP is not the PRESIDENCY, and not the president factory for Nigeria. PDP is simply a political party and it does not really matter how they pick their next candidate to offer the Nigerian people because at the end of the day, Nigerian people get to decide who the president ought to be. So, rather than concern ourselves about how the internals of a particular political party works, it is best we focus on making sure we only elect the best candidate for the job where we have the power to do so.

Princek12:

Why should the idea of rotational presidency come up in the first place?
Because nothing is against it. It is NOT unconstitutional in this case since it is an agreement made by members of a particular fraternity, and not an agreement made on Nigerians.
Princek12:

Anyone who supports such an idea is putting their selfish deeds ahead of national welfare, for in essence that idea supports a situation where a tribal group should be given the presidency even when they put forth a candidate who is unqualified. Such self serving ideologies is inconsistent with achieving a greater Nigeria, and Nigeria might as well split so those who support rotational presidency can govern themselves.
Well, Jonathan Goodluck supports the idea, along with every single PDP member in both the South West, East, North etc. Though we have limited info on what agreements exist within the AC party, I would go as far as to state that such an agreement probably exists in that group as well. So what do you want to do? Tell them they cannot make such agreements within their own parties or form your own party and have it based on your own select rules?
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 12:11am On Jun 26, 2010
@Kobojunkie and Dede, vote the PDP out of power? Y'all must be having a laugh. Seems like you guys are talking about some other country, not the Nigeria I know. Nigerians are concerned about the PDP's zoning formula cos;

1) Nigeria does not have a a free and fair electoral system. The PDP are the ruling party and have been since 1999. They have used resources of state to rig themselves back into power in 2003 and 2007 and it's likely to remain the same in 2011 except GJ keeps to his words (but we know how Nigerian politicians are with words). Most Nigerians believe that whoever the PDP picks as its presidential flagbearer for next year's elections will be Nigeria's preident. So you see, Nigerians have a reason to be concerned.

2) Nigerians believe (at least a large number) that if the our next president must be from the PDP, Goodluck Jonathan should be that person. The zoning formula puts that idea into jeopardy. Considering the fact that IBB wants the PDP ticket too makes it all the more alarming. And you have to remember my previous point of PDP having a strong rigging machinery. If IBB get's that ticket, there is a strong chance he will be Nigeria's next president inspite of the fact that most Nigerians don't want that.

3) most other political parties in Nigeria (if not all) do not have what it takes to heave the PDP away. They would have to outrig the PDP to get them out and I fear it will create another PDP with a different name. Nigerians want to get the best deal out of a bad situation. It's like being between the devil and the deep blue sea but with an option of a very warm room. Nigerians are gunning for the warm room. We'll sweat but we won't die.

I would have agreed with you both if we had a free and fair electoral system. But we don't and i'm not seeing it coming anytime soon GJ promised us free and fair elections next year. The INEC chair was only appointed a few days ago. How he'll undo nearly twelve years of bad electoral system to give us credible elections next year, i'm waiting to see. For now, Nigerians have to worry about PDP and its zoning formula.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:40am On Jun 26, 2010
proproman:

@Kobojunkie and Dede, vote the PDP out of power? Y'all must be having a laugh. Seems like you guys are talking about some other country, not the Nigeria I know. Nigerians are concerned about the PDP's zoning formula cos;
I would have agreed with you both if we had a free and fair electoral system. But we don't and i'm not seeing it coming anytime soon GJ promised us free and fair elections next year. The INEC chair was only appointed a few days ago. How he'll undo nearly twelve years of bad electoral system to give us credible elections next year, i'm waiting to see. For now, Nigerians have to worry about PDP and its zoning formula.
Look, we keep blaming the lack of a free and fair election for it all. But isn't it the same system that saw the selection of the following governors from parties order than the PDP . . .
a) Ali Modu Sheriff -- ANPP Party
b) Babatunde Fashola -- AC Party
c) Adams Oshiomole -- AC Party
d) Peter Obi -- APGA Party
e) Amachi in Rivers
f) Ibrahim Shekarau -- ANPP Party
g) Olusegun Mimiko -- LP Party
h) Ibrahim Geidam -- ANPP Party

Please, maybe rather than continuing to blame the system, we ought to spend our strength on working to ensure we get the right government at the state level, and even the right senators and representatives into the house, and apply that strength in unison at the federal level to get the president we want too.

PDP lives and feeds off of the fears of the people. And it is unfortunate that we are less than a year to the next election and again we are already sipping at the same cup of fear, believing the PDP will again choose the next president. We need to start playing the DEMOCRACY game the best we can and to our advantage and ignoring PDP and focusing on ensuring our side wins is a place to start.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 2:42am On Jun 26, 2010
was it exactly free and fair elections that brought fashola and other non-pdp governors into power? i would like to think not. if you know much about nigeria's power of incumbence(y?), then you'd know pdp is not likely to get lagos any time soon even if, somehow, fashola defects to the pdp. Most of those states you mentioned have been out of the pdp's reach since 1999. The others (like edo and whichever state it is Mimiko's governor of) experienced a power shift because the pdp desgnates there fell out of favour in the party. After beign declared governor after the 2007 gubernatorial elections, Osarheimen Osunbor's name rang like a bell in Edo state. But since falling out with the pdp leaders in his state who left him to his fate at the electoral tribunals and more or less worked against him, he's been forgotten. If Dr Chris Ngige had not fallen out with Chris Uba, I don't think Mr Peter Obi would see the gates of government house, Awka. Almost same happened in the case of Dr Olusegun Mimiko. Yes, we will blame the lack of a proper, free and fair electoral system for this sorry pass. Everyone knew Ekiti people did not want Segun Oni as governor. But he was declared governor after the elections. As far as i'm concerned and statistics point, Anambrarians wanted Chris Ngige as governor but APGA used the resources of state, not only to campaign for themselves but to also make sure they won through other underhand means. They did not stuff ballot boxes, no. They used a more systematic approach. A neighbour, who had travelled to his village to exercise his right to vote told me that when he and his fellow villagers went to vote, only three out of about 200 people could find their names on the voters register. They saw strange names that certainly did not belong to people in their village. ( Consequently, they couldn't vote and this was a village that clearly supported Ngige). Meanwhile, in places where Peter Obi had massive support, people had no trouble finding their names on the voters register and voting. People say the election was ok because there was little violence and little ballot box snatching and stuffing. But that doesn't mean it wasn't rigged. It's all well and dandy for you to sit behind your system and ask Nigerians to build a truly democratic system but, newsflash, it's not that easy. Do you think people in Niger or Guinea enjoy being ruled by the millitary (though finall guinea is out of the mlitary's clutches).
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:46am On Jun 26, 2010
proproman:

was it exactly free and fair elections that brought fashola and other non-pdp governors into power? i would like to think not. if you know much about nigeria's power of incumbence(y?), then you'd know pdp is not likely to get lagos any time soon even if, somehow, fashola defects to the pdp. Most of those states you mentioned have been out of the pdp's reach since 1999.

I never posited that the only way to this is FREE AND FAIR ELECTION.If you read, I said the same system produced those 8 who are not PDP members and certainly we can use it to produce more of those rather than continuing to sit back, folding our arms, blaming lack of free and fair elections for our woes when we already have clues of how to get around the problem to get our way.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 3:17am On Jun 26, 2010
I'll say it again; Most of those states have been out of PDP's reach since 1999. The PDP have somewhat conceded those states to the parties that currently rule. In Anambra state, a large number of the state legislators are PDP. I said it before, with our current electoral system, the only way to get rid of the PDP is to outrig them (cos those guys will always rig elections) but given that the president is from the pdp and he appoints the INEC chair who answers to him, I doubt if that would work. It's even a bad idea cos it would produce another mega rigging party who would want to remain in power at all costs. You probably live in the US (this is by no means an insult) and you see how the people assist the government to build a stronger democracy. Here in Nigeria, we, the people are ready to work with our leaders to build a strong democracy but are they ready to give us that? They know that with free and fair elections, at least 75% of our public office holders would not even be state secretaries for their parties. That's why, underhand, they are working against free and fair elections. The people cannot build a good democratic system without their leaders (except you're championing a revolution). Not all people from different countries like the current political systems in their countries but since their leaders don't share their views it doesn't happen. Nigeria is one country where it's leaders can watch the people burn to death without batting an eyelid provided it does not affect their income. Some of our lawmakers (of which a large majority are pdp) went to south africa to "support the super eagles". It was reported that, for the first time in the hotel's history, the hotel they lodged in completely ran out of wine. What were they celebrating, victory or defeat. I watched a footage today of our lawmakers fighting and tearing each other's clothes in the "hallowed chambers" on National TV. Are these the people that will give up power without a massive, violent battle? They will rig, do anything to keep themselves in power. As of now, PDP has the strongest rigging machinery. That's why it's very likely our next president will be from the pdp. That's also why we worry about their zoning formula. Getting the pdp out of power is more than an uphill task. It's a vertical climb. Plans were mooted for a mega party that will force the PDP out. Less than a year to elections and we're yet to see this mega party.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:42am On Jun 26, 2010
Nothing you have said so far on this is new. But as Soyinka was quoted as saying in one of the articles out, it is time we stop making excuses and stand up and do something about it.

Rather than continue to go around fear mongering, it is time we get to working on actually breaking down the system, if we fail then we can at least boast that WE TRIED but it still failed.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 11:16am On Jun 26, 2010
Seems like you're championing a revolution of some sort. I'm not fear mongering, just stating what's currently obtainable. A revolution would not be a bad idea if Nigerians (like the french) are truly fed up with the way things are and throw their fear and caution to the winds and stand up to fight for their country against massive curroption and an autocratic democracy. But it seems like most Nigerians would prefer the way things are than risk their neck to save their country. The only other options are that another country comes to our rescue (as if they don't have problems of their own) or our leaders change overnight and start to lead the right way (not likely either, those guys are corrupt to the very nucleus of the cells that make them up). Whichever way it comes, it will still be a gradual process (give or take, five or six years in the minimum) to completely flush out bad leadership and install good leaders. With a good leader comes every other thing; electoral reform (true electoral reform, not the jamboree we've been seeing since OBJ), massive development and economic growth. Whichever way you look at it, it's not as easy as saying get the PDP out. If we get the PDP out and come up with another party very much like it, then we've not moved forward. We'd just have changed into another pair of shoes that don't fit. I'm not against Nigerians trying to change things. If Nigerians rise up en masse to change the way things are in this country, be assured i'll be one of the numbers. But it's simply not happening and typing it Nairaland or Wole Soyinka saying it won't make it happen. You've got to be on ground to make such changes happen. If you leave the comfort of wherever you are, come down here and lead the charge, be sure you'll have my support and i'm not talking about Nairaland-posting support.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2010
Not a revolution, more like common sense. Read your own post there. All you have in there has nothing to do with what Nigerians have actually done. Going on and on about happenings within one political party when Nigeria has so many other parties makes little sense to the main.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Dede1(m): 5:32pm On Jun 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Of course, you have not informed anybody about your ethnicity. Some folks are either ashamed of their ethnicity or even delusional about their gender. I should not be surprise if you are boldly defined with either of the scenarios.

I am a proud Igbo son and never felt awkward to inform anybody about my ethnicity. Dr. N. A. Fadipe wrote “to detribalize is social anomaly”.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 2:01am On Jun 27, 2010
@Kobojunkie, what have Nigerians actually done that I should post about. Numerous political parties? Do you seriously think these study groups that call themselves political parties can win an election against the PDP? You're looking at this issue through tinted lens, tinted by what is obtainable in the USA. The Democrats and the Republicans can challenge themselves any day and any side can come out tops cos the US has a strong democratic structure and a credible electoral process. I ask you again, what have nigerians done to change the current status quo? As is currently obtainable, when it comes to presidential elections, Nigeria is an unofficial one party state. Does this mean that other parties don't field credible candidates? No. It just means that the PDP, through INEC, which it controls by proxy through the president wins elections even before it has started regardless of the efforts other parties have put into winning the elections and the credibility of other parties candidates. So you see, it's either free and fair elections or a revolution. This common sense you're talking about is not a rare commodity here in Nigeria. You're not bringing up a novel concept, Nigerians already know what you're on about. But the fact that nobody has done anything concrete to change things means that things will continue to be the same for a while. You know what that means? 1)PDP will continue to rule, 2) PDP will continue to control INEC, 3) PDP will continue to rig elections and, 4)PDP will produce our next president. I hope you can now see why Nigerians worry about the zoning formula.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:21am On Jun 27, 2010
proproman:

@Kobojunkie, what have Nigerians actually done that I should post about. Numerous political parties? Do you seriously think these study groups that call themselves political parties can win an election against the PDP? You're looking at this issue through tinted lens, tinted by what is obtainable in the USA. I hope you can now see why Nigerians worry about the zoning formula.

Are you also suggesting people like Wole Soyinka, Gani etc who have called for EXACTLY The same as I have so far are doing the same you accuse me of? I am sorrry but yet again, you are not saying anything new. This are the same set of excuses we used more than 3 years ago to allow mediocrity continue and I am not surprised that I am being offered the exact same three years later as reason why the very same should continue.

If you will not listen to me, at least listen to those who continue to tell you to stand up and STAND FOR YOUR RIGHT  . . . . Wole Soyinka is one of them and the man is already speaking of how tired he is having to stand while the people continue to fold their hands doing nothing, while he stands alone.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 9:53am On Jun 27, 2010
@kobojunkie, I wasn't trying to tell you something new. Just telling you what is currently obtainable, you should know that by now. Gani, Wole Soyinka and Festus Keyamo are just three people out of over 150 million. In a society where people are less afraid and more ready to fight for themselves, those three could be enough but in Nigeria's case, those three are lone voices crying in the wilderness. Now Gani's dead, there are just two left and as you've indicated, Soyinka's tired of fighting for Nigerians. So I guess that leaves us with Festus Keyamo alone. I may not be telling you anything new but neither are you saying anything new. I hear the same things you've said at newspaper stands, BRT bus stops, on buses, on the streets, everywhere. Why then has Nigeria not chandeg for better? Again, it's all well and dandy for you to sit behind your pc and type out solutions in their thousands but getting the actual change to happen is on a totally different difficulty level. As i've pointed out, our crusaders are diminishing in numbers. You may consider relocating here to become Nigeria's next top social crusader! On a more serious note, with the way things are going, it would take something really drastic for Nigerians to stand up and fight for their countries, not just typing it on Nairaland. The curroption going on in Nigeria is far beyond what drove the French to a revolution, yet Nigerians are still mute. I can't tell you anything new cos what was obtainable then is still obtainable now. Neither can you tell me anything new cos nothing has changed. The job of a social crusader here in Nigeria is still up for grabs. You can come down and add concrete to your words cos right now, they're just hollow.
Re: If We Must Respect The Zoning Arrangement, then We Can As Well Divide Nigeria by proproman(m): 10:21am On Jun 27, 2010
As for the tinted lens thing, i still stand by my words. Gani and Soyinka knew that getting Nigeria to change requires the crusader to be on ground, leading by example, not just typing it on Nairaland. You're probly somewhere in the US and you've seen how people stand for their rights. Well, that's cos the US has a better justice system than Nigeria and a better democratic structure. In Nigeria, the richer you are, the more cases you win. How do you expect a Nigerian who cannot boast of N500,000 in his account to stand against a corrupt politician with millions in a justice system where justice goes to the rich? Won't happen I tell you. Your stand up and fight mantra is actually calling for a revolution if you don't know that. It doesn't have to be a bloody revolution, just serious enough to change things permanently. You can't ask someone to stand for his rights. in a system where the odds form skyscrapers against him. It's like tying a boxer's hands and feet, blind folding him, then asking him to fight. He has lost from the beginning. I'm not trying to say we should stop trying. Just stating the obtainable. The problem in Nigeria is beyond monetary corruption. There's a systematic corruption which means the system has to change and everything else will follow. You don't have to worry about the PDP's zoning formula, i'm not begging you to. You just have to respect others that do so for good reason.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Contempt: Onovo Defies Court Again ! / Mates, Where And How Can I Get Army Escort In Osun State( 2 Soldiers Precisely) / UNBELIEVABLE!! DINO MELAYE HIRES ALMAJIRIS FOR PROTEST(PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.