Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

NEWS Kofi Annan: UN Mourns Former Secretary-general - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / NEWS Kofi Annan: UN Mourns Former Secretary-general (249 Views)

Kofi Annan Buried Amidst Tears (Burial Photos) / How Kofi Annan Died – Wife, Nane Maria Annan / Meet Nane Maria Anna And Titi Alakija, Kofi Annan's Widow & Ex Wife Respectively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NEWS Kofi Annan: UN Mourns Former Secretary-general by chigozie2018(m): 8:38pm On Aug 18, 2018
The United Nations has reacted to the death of its former Secretary-General, Kofi Annan.

The 7th UN Secretary-General died in a hospital in Bern, Switzerland in the early hours of Saturday.

The current UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, paid glowing tributes to Annan, who headed the intergovernmental organisation from 1997 to 2006.

Guterres in a statement hailed Annan as “a guiding force for good” and a “proud son of Africa who became a global champion for peace and all humanity.”

“Like so many, I was proud to call Kofi Annan a good friend and mentor.

“I was deeply honoured by his trust in selecting me to serve as UN High Commissioner for Refugees under his leadership.

“He remained someone I could always turn to for counsel and wisdom – and I know I was not alone.

“He provided people everywhere with a space for dialogue, a place for problem-solving and a path to a better world.

“In these turbulent and trying times, he never stopped working to give life to the values of the United Nations Charter. His legacy will remain a true inspiration for us all.”

Annan was the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations, after Egyptian diplomat, Boutrous Boutrous-Ghali exit in December 1996.

(1) (Reply)

Will Mnangagwa The Crocodile Be Overthrown In Zimbabwe ? / Libya: Tripoli Again Theater Of Violent Clashes Between Rival Militias / 14-year-old, others arrested for raping mentally-challenged woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.