Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,820 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka (2187 Views)

Photo Of Animals Trying To Save Nigerians From Making A Terrible Mistake / Remmy Hazzan: Sunday Igboho Is Welcome In Ogun / Results From Buhari's Daura Polling Unit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by AreaNews: 12:03am On Aug 20, 2018
Whatever it will take to save Nigerians from Buhari’s govt is welcome, says Soyinka

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka on Thursday lamented that the lives of Nigerians have been so cheapened under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari, while calling for the election of new generation of leaders to overhaul the system.

Soyinka spoke at the official launch of his Interventions VIII series, titled: “Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? (Who keeps Watch over the Watchmen?), Gani’s Unfinished Business,” held at the Freedom Park, Lagos Island area of Lagos, Southwest Nigeria.

Soyinka, who responded to a question posed by Kunle Ajibade, the Executive Editor of The News/PM News whether he had moment of doubt and impulse about Nigeria in recent time, said there were serious acts of mis-governance under the current administration, as there were lots of unforced errors being committed by Buhari.

“There are acts of mis-governance under this administration. There are unforced errors and acts that are considered being stupid; failure to secure lives; languages of self-excusing which were condemned in the past but resurfacing all over the place,” he said.

Soyinka decried that the administration glossed over intolerable degrees of bloodshed as if in a casual event or happening by accident, adding that there is “also, failure to exact authority when and as at when due which led to the killings. There is cheapening of lives. The value of lives in the last year or so on is on a level we haven’t witnessed in the country for long time.”

The Nobel laureate said this was one of the reasons why it had become essential that “we all embark on ground clearing for new generation of leaders and to make sure that in the process, we don’t bring back what we are just getting out from. That is one of the stupid acts that we could be held responsible by the coming generation.”

Soyinka stated that between now and 2019, an opportunity still existed, as there should be reforms and total overturn, saying that whatever it would take to secure the nation in order to give the people new sense of dignity and humanity, should be done.

He also took a swipe at former President Olusegun Obasanjo, whom he described as hypocrite and a pretender who capitalised on every opportunity to make himself relevant.

According to him, “Obasanjo isn’t a stupid man but reads the wind and move in. He is busy hijacking existing movements. And that is why I have warned many that have movement and that includes him, to be careful because he could hijack them. He frustrated the June 12 and often put himself forward on any issue. He is welcome to reform and as his slogan maybe, the redemption process has started.”

Soyinka was absolutely displeased with Obasanjo on how he rubbished the late Chief Bola Ige over the power sector crisis.

He said he was very involved in Bola Ige’s stint as the minister of power, lamenting that “after Ige died, Obasanjo claimed that the deceased never knew his left from his right. I found that statement unforgivable. He owes him for maligning him and sabotaging his genuine and structured efforts to transform the power sector of the country.

“I was here when Ige moved his office to Lagos to solve the power problem of Nigeria. He deliberately sabotaged the efforts of the late minister. Before Ige took office, he summoned a group of experts and mapped out strategy to transform the power sector. But he was sabotaged from the inside because he begged me to persuade Obasanjo to remove Sulaiman Bello from office.

“This was the man he believed was used to sabotage his efforts and the consequence we are still suffering today. Obasanjo protected the saboteurs of the power sector and that is why I challenged him to engage me publicly.”

Soyinka also said he could not remember the good things that Obasanjo did during his tenures as president.

“I don’t remember the good he has done. It will be very difficult to find one. I can’t remember one at this moment. There are many groups emerging with very good manifesto and it is a long time between now and next year. The field is widely open.

On the defection of the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom from the All Progressives Congress, APC, Soyinka said the governor had the right to choose which party he wanted to belong and that no one should crucify him for that.

He said he wrote a letter to Ortom where he made his position on his defection clear, even as he read out the letter, saying that “my position is clear on the challenges facing your state. As the leader of a state that experienced attacks, you have a right to seek the promise of an alternative means of security for your people because they remain your primary responsibility.

“We are all free over the actual choice of an alternative destination but no one can deny the inalienable entitlement to such action, especially when they are provoked by disillusionment and sense of impotence under existing association.”

In the letter, Soyinka told Ortom to expect sudden beginning of a heavy handed campaign, reprisal and unruly circles over his political decision, adding that I can only urge you to remain resilient, unbowed and undeterred. I do not believe that Ortom, should be crucified by any power or force for taking decision.”

Area News Nigeria
https://www.facebook.com/AreaNewsNG/

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:05am On Aug 20, 2018
For the quote below, RESPECT to the professor always !

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:10am On Aug 20, 2018
We stand with Buhari...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by maestroferddi: 12:14am On Aug 20, 2018
Buhari is a monumental disaster.

It is a patriotic duty to ensure that his callous desire for re-election is soundly defeated.

#Never Again.

7 Likes

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by maestroferddi: 12:19am On Aug 20, 2018
Pay no attention to mercenaries trying in futility to fob off a defective product on us.

We made an emotional/visceral choice in 2015.

Today Nigeria is inching towards a wasteland.

Once deceived, understandable...

Twice deceived, completely unacceptable and utterly reprehensible.

Nigerians shine your eyes..

4 Likes

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Racoon(m): 12:21am On Aug 20, 2018
Generation gap shift problem! undecided undecided
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Kingspin(m): 12:29am On Aug 20, 2018
Voting out Buhari will be a national victory for Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Nobody: 3:15am On Aug 20, 2018
Now now this Ahoy the wake up from sleep?? Good morning Professor. Hope your kinsmen no go roast you for this talk??
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Nobody: 3:19am On Aug 20, 2018
post=70434052:
For thw quote below, RESPECT to the professor always !
who thief pass APC??

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:59am On Aug 20, 2018
Thorhammer:
who thief pass APC??

....PDP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Iyajelili(f): 4:49am On Aug 20, 2018
I wish the noble laureate would dissociate himself from politics.
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Bethel4Life(f): 5:04am On Aug 20, 2018
Good morning soyinka

1 Like

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Randy100: 6:06am On Aug 20, 2018
Every person with functioning brain knows that Buhari has failed massively. We need somebody that will give us sense of belonging because Buhari has raped us very hard. #God bless Nigeria# #BUHARITODAURA#

3 Likes

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by nnachukz(m): 6:16am On Aug 20, 2018
post=70435433:

....PDP
Akpabio came from where? What of Amaechi, Erufai and Co?
You are really a confused person. I never knew that N30k monthly stipend can do this damage to a human brain.
Even the man you quoted and claimed to respect meant otherwise from what you are saying.
What a pathetic life you guys live.

4 Likes

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:19am On Aug 20, 2018
nnachukz:

Akpabio came from where? What of Amaechi, Erufai and Co?
You are really a confused person. I never knew that N30k monthly stipend can do this damage to a human brain.
Even the man you quoted and claimed to respect meant otherwise from what you are saying.
What a pathetic life you guys live.

We will let it slide....... MATURITY!
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by loyedammy: 6:20am On Aug 20, 2018
it's good to know that not all Yoruba's are on the band wagon of negative change.

Arise o compatriots,
to defeat Buhari with all my strength,
so help me God, amen.

2 Likes

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by nnachukz(m): 6:22am On Aug 20, 2018
post=70436347:

We will let it slide....... MARURITY!
STUPIDITY, you should have said.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:26am On Aug 20, 2018
nnachukz:
STUPIDITY, you should have said.
Smh.......
You these present day youths sha.......
Wisdom is profitable to direct!

We will let it slide again : MORE MATURITY!
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by anytaij: 7:57am On Aug 20, 2018
I taya for all of una sef. Youth need to wake up.
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Hector09(m): 8:15am On Aug 20, 2018
There is knw difference between soyinka and our politicians, maybe buhari did nt carry him along, he was the one that was insulting jonthan and clamouring for buhari, infact efcc should probed him cus ameachi spent millions of rivers money hosting him
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by FarahAideed: 8:22am On Aug 20, 2018
No sane person can be in support of Buhari at this point
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by donbachi(m): 8:26am On Aug 20, 2018
Even if it's..........
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by loverboys: 9:14am On Aug 20, 2018
Its left 4 God 2 decide
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by KingLennon(m): 10:22am On Aug 20, 2018
But it's crystal clear. Nigeria has not progressed in the last 3 years instead the standard of living has deteriorated. PMB has done nothing to deserve a 2nd chance.
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by ExplicitConect: 10:33am On Aug 20, 2018
If Buhari should win this 2019 Presidential election, that means Education is useless to Nigerians. There’s no country in the world today that is being ruled by an illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by shedy03(m): 10:39am On Aug 20, 2018
Buhari na scatterer a demolitioner.
#bringbackPDP.
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 20, 2018
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by Metuh: 11:46am On Aug 20, 2018
Brainwashed zombies will say otherwise starting from the never thinking BBQ boy above. grin
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by 12Monkeys: 11:51am On Aug 20, 2018
[s]
post=70434052:
For the quote below, RESPECT to the professor always !
[/s]
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by eagleeye2: 11:59am On Aug 20, 2018
Prof. Prof. Easy oh.
I still dey remember that your green card threat. grin
Re: Whatever It Will Take To Save Nigerians From Buhari’s Govt Is Welcome, Soyinka by SolutionMee: 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2018
Nice one

(1) (Reply)

Osunrerun: PDP Abandoned Davido & His Uncle To Fate. Pics / Fayemi Suspends Aide For Announcing Registration Of Fulani Herdsmen In Ekiti / Stop The Fulani NOW! -Prof. Dr. Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.