Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? (1181 Views)

Any Farmer Using This? / I Want To Invest #50 Million Naira On Any Farmer Here! / Learn Catfish Farming HERE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by excanny: 1:43am On Aug 21, 2018
Just heard of this technique called "No Till" that bypasses conventional land preparation processes like ploughing and harrowing.

Has any farmer here ever tried it on a standard large scale farm( 1 ha + )?

I will appreciate your thoughts cos I am also tinkering on it.
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by kunleweb: 6:55am On Aug 21, 2018
I am also interested in this question

1 Like

Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by elshz(m): 3:17pm On Aug 21, 2018
Yes, it's very possible, that was what I practiced on some portions of my farm(4 hectares out of 10hectares). Slash grasses, cut shrubs and branches of wide spreading trees if any, then burn debris. If the vegetations present are just grasses, you slash and spray glyphosate depending on the intensity or spraying alone. But I really need to see pictures before I prefer a better solution. You also need to put into consideration the type of crop you want to grow and nature of the soil present. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by jidestroud(m): 8:49pm On Aug 22, 2018
This definitely is my next line of action. Seriously considering this option with next project at hand.
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by excanny: 9:06pm On Aug 22, 2018
jidestroud:
This definitely is my next line of action. Seriously considering this option with next project at hand.

But one issue is in terms of proper aeration.

Will the plant's roots get enough space to breathe and grow in an untilled land?

Will it be OK for a fruiting/flowering plant and bad for a tuber plant that need to expand more in the soil?

Cos to be frank, land preparation can be quite capital intensive and not budget friendly for new guns with low finance to "run big things". cry
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by LucidG(m): 5:01am On Aug 23, 2018
I've done no till for maize, beans, cucumber and cassava with very good results.

Timing, soil and crop type is key.

1 Like

Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by excanny: 7:47am On Aug 23, 2018
LucidG:
I've done no till for maize, beans, cucumber and cassava with very good results.

Timing, soil and crop type is key.

What do you mean by timing, soil type and crop type?
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by noblefarm: 8:01am On Aug 23, 2018
Zero tillage is very possible but pls and pls check the land and be sure its not a hard soil, use a stick and press it on the soil if it can go down up to 4" without the use of force then something like maize, beans, soybeans etc can go
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by majralph: 10:10am On Aug 23, 2018
noblefarm:
Zero tillage is very possible but pls and pls check the land and be sure its not a hard soil, use a stick and press it on the soil if it can go down up to 4" without the use of force then something like maize, beans, soybeans etc can go
my thoughts exactly.
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by Richfarmer(m): 8:38am On May 24, 2020
With all this no till pattern of farming,

is it not better to invest in green house hydroponics?

I know of a friend that has a greenhouse worth 22million in abuja and is doing well

1 Like

Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by Atlanticfire: 8:57am On May 24, 2020
No till farming is what is mostly done by local farmers in the south.

How many times have you seen a local farmer in Delta or Edo state tll their land before planting cassava or plantain?

OP, this your question is making me to suspect you. Talk true you have not gone to the farm in your village before.

Next you will ask if anyone grows crops without fertiliser or herbicides or fungicides. Or if we pluck cassava as fruits like mangoes
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by Munzy14(m): 9:05am On May 24, 2020
jidestroud:
Read One-straw revolution by masanobu fukuoka.
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by ikelords(m): 9:23am On May 24, 2020
I am about practicing no till farming on a 4 hectares of rice farm. For the past 2 days I have been reading on the effect of no till farming on rice yeild, the truth is that no till has its advantages and dis, in a nutshell the type of soil and crop to be planted will determine if no till farming will be suitable. Crops with deep root penetration will need tilling such as cassava while no till is suitable for rice provided the soil is soft.
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by ikelords(m): 9:25am On May 24, 2020
This is the picture of where I want to practice no till rice farming. I will just spray non selective herbicide and plant my rice.

Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by jidestroud(m): 8:14pm On May 24, 2020
Munzy14:

Read One-straw revolution by masanobu fukuoka.

Thanks, I just finished reading through the 146 pages and I must confess, it was worth the read.
Re: Has Any Farmer Ever Done No Till Farming Here? by Munzy14(m): 9:16pm On May 24, 2020
jidestroud:

Thanks, I just finished reading through the 146 pages and I must confess, it was worth the read.
You welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Maize Farming / Cucumber For Sale In Oyo Town / How Much Is One Bag Of Weed In Your Area/town, City Or Village?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.