Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,467 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria (4123 Views)

As A Single Guy How Do You Deal With Work Stress? / 7 Types Of Boss You Will Meet And How To Handle Them / Five Tips To Managing Work Stress In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by assisttohire: 5:31am On Aug 24, 2018
WORK STRESS IN NIGERIA
THIS IS HOW TO HANDLE WORK STRESS IN NIGERIA

In Nigeria, getting a good job is hard work, but so is maintaining your sanity when you do get one. Many employees are under constant work stress. According to a study by the APA (American Psychological Association), when work stress continues over a long period of time, it can become chronic stress. Chronic stress can in turn develop into life-threatening diseases. Yes, stress can be that serious. See the need for this article now?

First, it is important to know your stressor(s).

COMMON WORK STRESSORS

Excessive workload
Vague work goals and expectations
Low Salary and Work Benefits
Job insecurity
Toxic work relationships and so on.

EFFECTS OF STRESS

Stress can cause illnesses such as high blood pressure, insomnia, obesity, depression, and so on.
Stress can reduce work performance.
It can affect relations with family, friends and co-workers.

STEPS TO HANDLING WORK STRESS

Clarify and track Work goals (Set Work Goals, Crush, Track, Crush, repeat.)
Now this is important. The first step to a better work performance is outlining your work goals. No matter how much you work, there really is no way to measure how well you have done if you do not have outlined work goals. Seems simple enough but many people remain dissatisfied, and cannot pinpoint the cause of their dissatisfaction because they do not have clarified work goals.

Start your week with clear goals, with clear numbers. Example: I must increase my company’s follower base by 60 unique visitors. Clear enough?

Start your day right

You have to start your day on a good note, my friend. Many people start their days, feeling already drained. This is counter-productive. Edit your morning routine to make you as effective as possible. I recommend taking a healthy breakfast, exercising, and planning before you start working. These help to keep your mind clear and goal-oriented.

Sleep Well

How much sleep are you getting? Sleep is an important factor in easing stress. Find time to sleep. Usually, you have to rank it as an important activity of the day. When you prioritize giving yourself the necessary hours of sleep, you would most likely have to edit other parts of your day to accommodate this. Bad sleeping habits will get you feeling stressed right from the first hour of the day.

Utilize your Break Time

During your break, purposefully take your mind off work. You can listen to music, you can take a stroll. Help yourself relax, it is helpful.

Seek Professional Help

So, this is 2018, and this is not yet popular among professionals in Nigeria. Yet it can be quite helpful. If your work stress persists, it is helpful to consult a mental health professional. It will help you to stay healthy and keep stress-related diseases at bay.

In all, HR managers and employers need to do more to promote a healthy workplace. A good reward system and work recreational schemes can help to reduce work stress a great deal.

Visit www.assisttohireng.com for more career news.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by Iruobean(m): 7:04am On Aug 24, 2018
cool
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:04am On Aug 24, 2018
Very good thread .
98% of Nigerians need to read this.

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by phransix2: 7:06am On Aug 24, 2018
nice piece...
but eating well and multi vitamins would also go a long way...
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by sylvez(m): 7:08am On Aug 24, 2018
There's nothing like work stress in Nigeria.....
So long as the money is coming in.... If the money is not coming we call it suffer instead of stress.....

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by ymdo(m): 7:13am On Aug 24, 2018
post=70555701:
Very good thread .
98% of Nigerians need to read this.
Me being number one

Excessive workload, Vague work goals and expectations, low Salary and Work Benefits, Job insecurity, Toxic work relationships all encapsulated by a boss with a very bad attitude. Man pikin is suffering and smiling

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:15am On Aug 24, 2018
ymdo:
Me being number one
YOU can say that again bro.
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by AKzee(m): 7:17am On Aug 24, 2018
Time management is what is killing Nigerians. If you plan to succeed, stress is nothing to talk about.

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by ymdo(m): 7:19am On Aug 24, 2018
AKzee:
Time management is what is killing Nigerians. If you plan to succeed, stress is nothing to talk about.
Come and apply for my position please
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by moonraker(m): 7:22am On Aug 24, 2018
Nice write up.

Except excessive work load?? What??

Come to my office and see what excessive work load is.

The Japanese dont play, when it comes to work.
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by IMASTEX: 7:44am On Aug 24, 2018
It has to start by adjusting to how you live generally in a stressful country like Nigeria. Then run your own business. The rest follows. . .
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by AKzee(m): 7:55am On Aug 24, 2018
ymdo:
Come and apply for my position please
My performance will make you doubt yourself. No.... I will not apply.
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by joganut(m): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2018
indica is the only way after a hard days work.......
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by ymdo(m): 9:52am On Aug 24, 2018
AKzee:

My performance will make you doubt yourself. No.... I will not apply.
Who is talking about performance here. If you say this in front of any of our staff, they will laugh at you. Boss, you never jam difficult boss I'm telling you.
Re: How To Handle Work Stress In Nigeria by durojaiye1951: 10:01am On Aug 24, 2018
Very good thread .98% of Nigerians need to read this.

(1) (Reply)

Daystar Leadership Academy Graduates / ‘government Must Intervene To Resolve Job Loss In Banking Industry’ / Mortuary Attendant Reveals D Most Scarying Encounter When Dealing Wit Deadbodies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.