Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,140 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Lady Says She Didn’t Kneel For Husband During Yoruba Traditional Wedding - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lady Says She Didn’t Kneel For Husband During Yoruba Traditional Wedding (492 Views)

I Mistakenly Slept With My Wife’s Twin And She Didn’t Even Speak Out To Stop Me / Woman Buys Coffin For Husband In Anambra As Father's Day Gift / 60% Of Married Women Don’t Love Their Husbands- Lady Says, See Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lady Says She Didn’t Kneel For Husband During Yoruba Traditional Wedding by WotzupNG: 8:52am On Aug 24, 2018
A Nigerian feminist based in Canada has revealed she didn't kneel down for her husband during their traditional wedding, a thing required by the Yoruba tradition.

According to the lady identified as @Eniolahu on Twitter, she and her husband told the MC to skip that part. She also revealed plans by her sister to prevent the use of a term in her coming wedding.

Read er tweets below for more.

“Speaking of submission, during my Yoruba engagement, my husband and I told the Alagas to not use that word or ask me to kneel for him. Everyone told me it wouldn’t be possible because, culture. But guess whose knees didn’t touch the ground?”

“My sister’s wedding was earlier this week and she also warned against using the term “ile oko” (husband’s house). Everyone is setting their house rules and removing the bs one act at a time. Looking forward to subversive “no wedding” family members lol”

https://www.wotzup.ng/2018/08/lady-kneel-husband-traditional-wedding/

cc lalasticlala

Re: Lady Says She Didn’t Kneel For Husband During Yoruba Traditional Wedding by zinnydan(f): 8:55am On Aug 24, 2018
OK ma'am
Re: Lady Says She Didn’t Kneel For Husband During Yoruba Traditional Wedding by WotzupNG: 11:08am On Aug 24, 2018
A man has reacted to a tweet from a feminist who revealed that she didn't kneel for her husband on their Yoruba traditional day.

Reacting to the tweets from the lady who is based in Canada, a Twitter user identified as Biola Kazeem wondered why we glorify and practice foreign culture but chose to pick holes in ours, same holes that can be found in the borrowed one.

''It is fine that some couples are rejecting symbolic gestures such as a wife kneeling for her husband during the Yoruba traditional wedding. Everyone is entitled to their choices. I just find it amusing we are quicker to find holes in gestures than those of our colonial masters.

If the idea is that kneeling is somewhat oppressive/discriminatory, we can find those holes in the white wedding too. The roots of a woman wearing white is to suggest she is pure. Is that not oppressive? Why should fathers walk daughters down the aisle?Is that not discriminatory?

We can question culture while preserving it. A woman kneeling down for her husband is not any more symbolic than wearing white or her father walking her down the aisle. We are usually more eager to question our cultural gestures. It is probably subconscious.

We should question everything if we really want to shake things up. Why should the woman bear he burden of displaying purity in white? Why should fathers walk their daughters? Is the mother not worthy? If kneeling is a problem,these should be too. Same premise.

Culture is only culture if most people agree to it. If we reject our culture while not questioning those who adopted, it is probably not culture that is the problem. Culture is usually not a buffet. If it stops being homogeneous,how is it then culture? If it is not preserved.

What do we hand down? The Western cultures we are less keen to question were handed down generations flaws & all. Question culture but be sure you are questioning everything, including the culture of your colonialists. If not, the culture is not the problem. Selah.''

https://www.wotzup.ng/2018/08/man-reacts-lady-kneel-traditional/

(1) (Reply)

A Nairalander Celebrates His Mum / Luxury Fragrances For Sale. Brand New Big Bottle / VIDEO: Nigerian Man Reveals The "Bride Price" His Brother Paid In Ebonyi State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.