Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

How To Discipline A Child Without Yelling - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Discipline A Child Without Yelling (481 Views)

How Can I Stop Yelling(shouting) At My My Partner? / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Discipline A Child Without Yelling by Fabmumng(f): 12:47pm On Sep 26, 2018
Is it really possible to discipline a child without yelling? That is the million dollar question that most mums ask every day. Growing up in Nigeria, the saying “spare the rod, spoil the child” was widely accepted. But this days the story is different as some parents are somewhat clueless on how to go about disciplining their children.

By the way, discipline does not have to always mean punishment as there are a lot of ways we can discipline a child without punishing him or her. Discipline is basically all about helping your child learn how to behave as well as how not to behave. It works best when you have a warm and loving relationship with your child.

As children grow and evolve, so does their behavior. This is why a child who didn’t throw tantrums at two may start at five, and may even give you major attitude at 13. The best way to understand your children’s behavior is to understand what they’re going through developmentally, say experts. This knowledge will help you discipline them without resorting to yelling, threatening or having a meltdown yourself as parent.

Here a few tips to guide you on how to discipline your child without yelling

Set family Rules: Growing up in my parent’s house, we were guided by rules, not dictatorship kind of rule. We had rules guiding us, and in a way, it stuck with us. We had table rules; we had rules for how we spoke to each other, etc. Example, we knew we were not supposed to chew with our mouth open or even make sounds with our mouth when eating even before we were taught in school, etc. So, as parents, you can make these rules in your house without looking like Hitler, rules like, in this house, we do not hit each other; in this house, we are not allowed to play outside, when everyone else is inside, except mummy or daddy tells you to, etc.
Follow your rules: it is generally known that children replicate and do what they see, that is

http://fabmumng.com/how-to-discipline-a-child-without-yelling/

1 Like

Re: How To Discipline A Child Without Yelling by ipobarecriminals: 1:11pm On Sep 26, 2018
sad forget all these English.Even cane nor dey correct nowadays pikin.Back in those days,when u hear the sound of ur papa motor horn/nor horn u'll run inside and behave well.Have u remove ur head of hair, eyelid/brow and hide it under a foot mat so dat ur pa go forget to flog the evil spirit outta ur head but at last u still chop cane.Have u hide under bed/run to one baba Wasiu to help u placate ur fada b4? Such thing is a past tense. Even skol teachers dey complain about kids unruly behavior. Cane dnt correct dem%fear their parents again
Re: How To Discipline A Child Without Yelling by jaszplus12(m): 1:41pm On Sep 26, 2018
OP...you're very correct...95% correct we leave the 5% for any unusual behavior that's unforeseen as humans.
as a growing child my parents never bothered to understand my feelings at all...I was just a child...follow these rules or get the punishment... the greatest need I had was how to communicate with them. just remain as invisible as you can and you're "fine".
now I'm a parent...first question I asked my self was if I've the guts to flog my kids...YES came the answer but I also thought..."can't there be better way to keep them sane obedient and same time friendly with me? I found that working with them was also teaching them how to get to know things and work it well.
I think I used the situation I faced to an advantage by making them feel wanted. I explained my anger rather than expressing it more often...
then I always ask myself... would I rather be scolded harshly or kindly if I made the same mistakes they make!?
that's helped me in bringing them up...they're in their teens now...we're closer than ever...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sex Wellness Coffee / Roofing, Roof Maintenance Services, Insulated Roofing Sheets, Etc / How To Avoid Embarrassment And Unnecessary Pressure In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.