Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

First Church To Look Like A Family - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / First Church To Look Like A Family (422 Views)

Grammatical Mistakes That Will Make You Look Like A World Class Idiot. / 10 Simple Writing Hacks to Help You Write like a Pro / Can I Ever Live Like A Normal Humanbeing Again(beware Of The Evil)must Read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Church To Look Like A Family by Divepen1(m): 9:43am On Aug 24, 2018
First Church To Look Like A Family
For sometimes now, I have been writing about #Fortunecity4. This is a concept I started after writing about four friends in #ADreadinTheSpine.
I had been going to church for years, and I love good music and the people and the connection we built, but I can never forget the event that happened in this particular church.
The service was fashioned and the people act as if we are living in a family house. We organized birthdays for leaders and share jokes even with the leaders. The jokes aren’t the story but the fact they break barriers and pulled me to their midst as if I didn’t just join them in the month of April 2017.
I spent only four months with them but it felt like years. We attended parties together, ate together, teased people together, and solved issues together. I would have picked everyone- Mr. Ope, Sister Toyin, Kajoe, Feyintolu, Bro. Akin (Choir chord), Cotonu (our drummer)- (*Lip sealed*)- and the beautiful students that just came when I was about to leave for NYSC- but I have to go with three people that made the church a place to always be, with whom I can claim a #Fortunecity4
The first: Solomon, our keyboardist and Music Director. Upon initial meetings, people began to complain of how I began to be like him. But it was me revealed. Well, that’s gone. I remember how we would seat and not only discuss Jazz- Ella Fitzgerald- but also discuss cultism in Nigeria, Nigeria music, Gospel music, the life of Christ, and finally love issues. It wasn’t exciting unless we added Woli Agba’s joke. From him, I learnt humans were diamonds. If left in their rawness, people would never desire them but when put under the intensity of our fire of love or hatred, they would reveal themselves.
Temitope: the one I never knew would ever have anyone’s time because she seemed very busy. However, in a short while, things happen among us. We were seen taking pictures together. Her character has exposed me to the fact that life isn’t about how good you are. It is about how much you’re trying to be better. I watch her grow in my few months, and I wonder how good she would be the next time I see her.
Patience, this is one that loves to involve everyone involved. I might not really see him much because he liked to work but during registration for Nysc, Patience ensured we did everything together and would make sure he did his own first so that he can guide others in doing it. He would hurry up to people battling with theirs and direct them to the right place. Many times, people would encounter him and thank him for his apt direction..
A typical day with these guys goes like this.
Solomon, robust, would be seen running out of the church with a bottle of Pepsi, laughing as he did so. Tope would be hot on his tail.
‘Solomon, give me my drink o’.
He would gulp down the content u. When Tope gets to his side, he would turn to her, and frown.
‘ Why are you doing this?’
‘Solomon, is it your drink? Is it your food? And you’re drinking it? Ah! I will kill your enemy’, I will shout from wherever I am. He would understand that was a line from Woli Agba’s skit. He would roar with laughter. Seizing the opportunity, Tope would grab the bottle, but he would wriggle out of her grasps and run away.
Patience would run to meet them, while I would pretend to be calm while I strut towards them to see the result.
By the time, we get out Solomon would have released the bottle to her after making sure he had gulped down another round, and making sure his starched cloth wasn’t ruined.
‘He clear’, he would shout and give a type of laughter that has the joy of a baby in it.
‘He clear die’, one of us would reply him.
‘Thank you my friend’, he would say and shake whoever replied him. Then, we might proceed to talk on different issues.
‘Solomon, how far?’, my mum would call from the balcony of our house.
‘Ah! Mummy’, he would hail my mum. ‘ Fine mum’.
‘Why are you disturbing Tope?’
‘Thank you Mummy’, Tope would say excitedly and laugh. When she laughs, it look as if she is being shaken vigorously from within because her fair face might suddenly turn red.
‘My mummy, you are looking great’, Tope would complement.
‘Finer than this Akin’, Patience would say.
‘Leave my baby’, Tope would say.
‘Thank you jare’, I would say. ‘When the only he knows how to do is to put his leg on chair while snapping pics’.
Solomon would remember what I was talking about and would roar with laughter again.
‘As in. When he is not from the 1880s. In this time and season’, Solomon would say and roar with laughter. ( I can’t stop laughing as I edit this part).
‘Leave Patience o’, My mummy would say.
‘Ah! Mummy leave them’, Patience would say. ‘ They are talking out of their blackness’.
I and Solomon would share glances and laugh.
‘He thinks he can get us’, I might say. ‘God….’
‘Forbid’, we would all say and laugh.
‘ Omo ologo’, Patience will hail.
‘Thank you my friend’, Solomon will say.
‘Bro. Solomon cake is ready to be shared’, someone would yell from the ushering stand.
‘Ehn! Mummy we would be back’, Solomon would say and run inside as we want to celebrate someone that was celebrating his or her birthday.
With those times, I learnt that bringing out the babies in people can only be realized when you’re with people that aim to do that. These sets have a way of incorporating you into the family regardless of how long you’ve all been together.
can’t forget those days at wedding ceremonies, that day we were playing our spoons to the music, how we make churches lively and always standout at any ministration or program.
‘ Ahahan’, we would say as we dab our faces with a towel mimicking Dele of Woli Agba Skit.
You can get ‘A Dread in The Spine’ here

https://okadabooks.com/book/about/a_dread_in_the_spine/17726

Who are you #Fortunecity4 ?

https://akinjidetayo./2018/08/23/first-church-to-look-like-a-family/

1 Like

Re: First Church To Look Like A Family by Fazemood(m): 12:13pm On Aug 24, 2018
This is truly a family. Lively n lovable. Which is you among these 3 wise men in the pic? Divepen1?
Re: First Church To Look Like A Family by Divepen1(m): 1:13pm On Aug 24, 2018
Fazemood:
This is truly a family. Lively n lovable. Which is you among these 3 wise men in the pic? Divepen1?
The one with the stripe suit
Re: First Church To Look Like A Family by Fazemood(m): 2:38pm On Aug 24, 2018
Divepen1:
The one with the stripe suit
*Nodding My Head* Hmmmmm, Smart. Good writing skill with a matching look. smiley . Good Combo
Re: First Church To Look Like A Family by Divepen1(m): 3:26pm On Aug 24, 2018
Fazemood:

*Nodding My Head* Hmmmmm, Smart. Good writing skill with a matching look. smiley . Good Combo
Loll.. Thanks for the complement..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Steps To Handle A Divorce / Just Before I Say, Goodbye. / What Keeps The Poor Extremely Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.