Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) (36191 Views)

Help Out Oral Infection Graphic Photo / Stretch Marks Removal Procedure Goes Wrong, Lady Cries Out (Graphic Photo, Video / Any Experience With A Baby With Upper Limb Injury During Birth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Lexusgs430: 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2018
Gangrene already set in (amputation tinz) ..... He is lucky sepsis has not set in yet....

His might have his life, but he lost his limb.....

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Maket: 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2018
Shelumiel:
Fake news as usual .
Gbam
See the make up fresh wound na
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Teacher1776(m): 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2018
kindnyce:
God Almighty.
Those guys are good on bruises or inflammatory pains in outer joints like knees , elbow and ankles.Anything other than that is simply SUICIDE.
MAY GOD HEAL THE POOR BOY
I beg to disagree with you. Not all traditional bone doctors are crude. I know a particular one in my area who first insists on an X-ray of the bone. The final outcome of his works are always perfect.
If you ask me about what I see in this picture, I don't think it is a case of bone fracture.
If it was, there was probably a wound on the flesh. An experienced bone doctor will first work to cure every cut and wound before work is done to fix the broken bone. Otherwise, the wounded flesh would rot and wear off. Which traditional healer would watch his patient get to this life-threatening stage before making referrals?
Even if it were so, what were the parents doing to allow the situation degenerate to this irredeemable state?

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Sandycee: 2:26pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:
The child was obviously a victims of a 419 "bone setter"

Genuine traditional bone setters are a blessing to humanity. I remember back in the days when I broke my leg as a child, my mother took me to one of these bone setters the following day. The way that woman expertly arranged my bones and aligned them in order was heavenly. She knew where each bone was located and which should be on top of which. Coupled with an ointment, my fracture healed in less than a week and a new callus formed.
True...I broke my hand when I was in primary school, was in Hospital for a month and nothing changed till someone recommended a traditional bone setter to us, within two weeks ,we saw a huge difference.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Evangkatsoulis: 2:29pm On Aug 24, 2018
Looks photoshopped.
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by YorubaAssasin: 2:36pm On Aug 24, 2018
ebunoluwawa:
Na the boy hand from the elbow long like that? grin grin grin

Abeg, what's so funny abt a poor innocent boy's dilemma? angry

You need thorough psychiatrist evaluation ASAP! undecided

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by MrGokay(m): 2:39pm On Aug 24, 2018
That guy wey tweet am na fool...

How can setting a bone well make a hand turn black?

Don't paint those guys bad
They are one of the greatest life savers in rural areas
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Gregdcutie(m): 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:

Genuine traditional bone setters are a blessing to humanity. I remember back in the days when I broke my leg as a child, my mother took me to one of these bone setters the following day. The way that woman expertly arranged my bones and aligned them in order was heavenly. She knew where each bone was located and which should be on top of which. Coupled with an ointment, my fracture healed in less than a week and a new callus formed.
Thank your stars...even consultant orthopaedic surgeons request for Cray films in the least before they carry out any proceedure. Theresis nothing to be encouraged about such people. There place only still exist because of poverty

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by delerx(m): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2018
Na every day we dey tell them.. the bone setters are set of crooks. The Nigeria system has really failed. Alot visit them basically cos of lack of finances to manage the condition.
Anyways for ladies with PID check my signature.
www.tbsmedlinks.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by jashar(f): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2018
Wait o, so, the guardians were watching the limb change colour and even dry up and they did nothing?

It is not well... angry
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by delerx(m): 2:48pm On Aug 24, 2018
Same thing happened to a guy during my internship days at igbobi. That was the first time I saw something like this. When he was told about AK AMPUTATION he started crying and I couldn't hold mine too
Lexusgs430:
Gangrene already set in (amputation tinz) ..... He is lucky sepsis has not set in yet....

His might have his life, but he lost his limb.....

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by engrjacuzzi: 2:49pm On Aug 24, 2018
some people madness can't be cured.
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Fiona111: 3:00pm On Aug 24, 2018
The way that arm is looking, the infection is suppose to have spread round the body and even killed the child so the big question is how did there restrict the infection to just that arm. Photoshop in my opinion

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 24, 2018
YorubaAssasin:

Abeg, what's so funny abt a poor innocent boy's dilemma? angry

You need thorough psychiatrist evaluation ASAP! undecided
as in ehn.. Too many silly insensitive kids.. Mtchew

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by seunH: 3:08pm On Aug 24, 2018
Teacher1776:

I beg to disagree with you. Not all traditional bone doctors are crude. I know a particular one in my area who first insists on an X-ray of the bone. The final outcome of his works are always perfect.
If you ask me about what I see in this picture, I don't think it is a case of bone fracture.
If it was, there was probably a wound on the flesh. An experienced bone doctor will first work to cure every cut and wound before work is done to fix the broken bone. Otherwise, the wounded flesh would rot and wear off. Which traditional healer would watch his patient get to this life-threatening stage before making referrals?
Even if it were so, what were the parents doing to allow the situation degenerate to this irredeemable state?
I agree with you to a reasonable extent, but what I'm suspecting is that, the fracture was very serious. In the course of packing and supporting the fracture with POP or other traditional materials they mistakenly constricted a major blood vessel which lead to what we are seeing. What we are seeing from my viewpoint is Ischemic necrosis due to lack of oxygen supply. And also remember because the wound was packed and it would be difficult to see the extent of damage before it got to this level. Just my viewpoint ......!!!

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Lexusgs430: 3:12pm On Aug 24, 2018
delerx:
Same thing happened to a guy during my internship days at igbobi. That was the first time I saw something like this. When he was told about AK AMPUTATION he started crying and I couldn't hold mine too

When we say seek medical advice and intervention, some nairalanders would think otherwise.......

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Lexusgs430: 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2018
Fiona111:
The way that arm is looking, the infection is suppose to have spread round the body and even killed the child so the big question is how did there restrict the infection to just that arm. Photoshop in my opinion

It's either photoshop or the boy is extremely lucky to be alive.....

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by asawanathegreat(m): 3:26pm On Aug 24, 2018
Nawa ooo this one weak me too much.
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 24, 2018
Did he meet Mr bones the bone setter
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by promisechris63(m): 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2018
AFONJA bonesetters nah them be that!!! grin grin grin
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by evy800(f): 4:14pm On Aug 24, 2018
shocked

Jesuuuu....!
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by jonath0012(m): 4:15pm On Aug 24, 2018
I think I almost experienced this growing up. I was in SS1 when I had my right arm broken into two after I was pushed by a girl-classmate. I was trying to support my weight with my right arms so I would not just fall to the ground. Alas! My bones were slender and frail, the bone close to my right wrist got broken into two. A student ran towards me and held my right arms intact, from hanging loosely. I was just crying!

When I got home, mum took me to one baba, a traditional healer or so. This man treated me for more than a month yet my right hand was not in place or straightened.. I knew something was definitely wrong because this man did not use support (or splint) on my hand to straighten the bone, he would just rub it with a substance and bandage it.

So, I began to complain to mum that the man was not good enough and true to that, my right hand had almost a shape of C, it bent outwardly. To worsen the situation, the bones were healing as I began to feel little pain on it. We could have gone to the hospital, but my parents could not afford it

So, they took me away from that baba, to another man. The man suggested that They would have to break my arm and start all over or else my hand would be deformed forever. I began to cry again.

Mum was not comfortable with that arrangement, she took me to another place. This time to a young man. He asked me to stretch out my arms and stroke the exact place that was broken, I screamed. Then he smiled and said he would straighten it without breaking it again since I was still feeling pain..

This young man did exactly as he promised. I got my hand straightened!

I can never forget this experience in my life. I am so sure if my parent had the means, they would not have taken me to the first baba in the first place. All this because of poverty!

Thank God I did not lose my arms to that incident.

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by don4real18(m): 4:21pm On Aug 24, 2018
The news looks fabricated which is very common amongst bloggers
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by don4real18(m): 4:28pm On Aug 24, 2018
delerx:
Na every day we dey tell them.. the bone setters are set of crooks. The Nigeria system has really failed. Alot visit them basically cos of lack of finances to manage the condition.
Anyways for ladies with PID check my signature.
www.tbsmedlinks.com
Don't say what you don't know. I know some bonesetters that are good at what they do just as we have some medical practitioners that are leather-faced killers.
While I was still a student, a coursemate broke a leg and was taken to Igbobi and 80k was demanded. The same young man went to a traditionalist who fixed it perfectly for 12k.
I can cite many instances but will leave it at this
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by squadron: 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2018
shay na so the boy hand long reach.. oga
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by drmayor95(m): 5:03pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:

Please stop this already. We are trying to take people away from the dark days and you keep bringing us back with your misplaced testimony. You are really very lucky your broken bone didn't malform, am sure your case would have been different.

NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY SHOULD PATRONISE A TRADITIONAL BONE SETTER. Go to a certified hospital and seek genuine expert care.
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by stasius: 5:08pm On Aug 24, 2018
Terrible.

Just like they did to this child.

Terrible Bonesetters!

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by bigplayerz(m): 5:11pm On Aug 24, 2018
We need not blame anyone here...but i thank God the young boy is still alive...even with one hand he can make the world,his family and himself BETTER. Well the point is i am sure a doctor had given them the option of amputating the hand , but the fear of amputation kicked IN and they went for someone who was willing to use the young boy`s hand for experiment. My Opinion
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:

chief you are very lucky.com to the hosp nd chk lot of damages done to humans.they dnt knw anatomy dey only guess.u dnt guess in medicine
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by LifeOfATroll: 5:35pm On Aug 24, 2018
drmayor95:

Please stop this already. We are trying to take people away from the dark days and you keep bringing us back with your misplaced testimony. You are really very lucky your broken bone didn't malform, am sure your case would have been different.

NOBODY, I REPEAT, NOBODY SHOULD PATRONISE A TRADITIONAL BONE SETTER. Go to a certified hospital and seek genuine expert care.
Boss i sent you a DM
Can you please reply?
Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by spiceadole: 6:20pm On Aug 24, 2018
He reminds me of one of my patients.
Handsome 6 year old male, sustained a fracture of right humerus while playing at school.
Parents took him to a traditional bone setter.

By the time, he presented to us in the hospital, the hand was gangrenous (dead).

He was already septic.
We did an emergency amputation.
People always prefer the traditional methods to going to hospital in all aspects including child birth but when complications arise, they remember the hospital.
And at the point, expect doctors to perform magic.

NOBODY SHOULD PATRONISE TRADITIONAL BONE SETTERS.
THE DAYS OF IGNORANCE IS OVER.
GO TO THE ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON FOR EXPERT MANAGEMENT OF FRACTURES

1 Like

Re: Traditional Bonesetter Complicates A Child's Case, Loses Limb (Graphic Photo) by frozen70(f): 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2018
The parents should have noticed this before it got out if hand

Now they are going to the hospital after the did has been done

This is a careless one because the bone setter has worsened his cass

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fibroids / Bukky Akinbile, Lady With Mesenteric Cysts (Large Tumor) In Need Of Surgery / Combination 3 Pills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.