Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,456 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Uk Moves To Stem Immigration - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk Moves To Stem Immigration (5636 Views)

How to stem the tide of the current seccessionist movements / Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation / Buhari Moves To Slash Own Salary, Allowance. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 27, 2010
Why are people making uninformed comments?
The article made reference to none-EU WORKERS and not STUDENTS.

Talking about students, a home office reports states that international students added £8billion to the nations coffers a few years ago.
David Cameron and the coalition will not risk losing that money by putting cap on students coming over.

All in all, i support a cap on migration but they can't really put a cap on people getting married to British citizens and/or international students.

Oh yeah, and what about the Illegal Immigrants already in the country? I can answer that question.
David Cameron isn't going to do any more than Labour did. The country needs all the money she can get.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by justwise(m): 8:20am On Jun 27, 2010
hackney:

The U.K is partly to blame for the surge in immigration;
Free this ,free that for all those dead-beat somalians  who devise new ways of cheating the welfare system.
" OH, my wife and 8 kids in free schools have chucked me out of the free 5 bedroom house, can i have my own free house?, and then they rent it out to their illegal counterpart rats.To the extent that illegal migrants who are already in france still risk their lives hiding inside tour bus engines to get here.Having come from a desert, you would think that they will be willing to work when they get here but Nooo! ! they scrounge and their kids crowd the streetsfighting and stealing from shops. (the ba.st.ards stole my car)
Not only should immigration be capped reasonably, the welfare system should be re-assessed.I cant be paying all that tax to have a rat mooching of it. scrounging rats.(which they are going to do anyway.)I trust the conservatives.
You are absolutely right! Too easy!! the welfare system need urgent review!! some pple are better off on benefit than getting a dam job,, the asylum system is abused. How come some of these eastern Europeans are not rushing to France, Germany, Spain the same way they are coming here? Caping the Non-Eu members will have little or no effect cos they are visa controlled. This is all headline graping news, we all know where the hammer should fall but they wouldn't try it cos they can't stop EU members from coming in.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by cvibe: 8:20am On Jun 27, 2010
Waiting and watching!
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by fugocisse: 9:43am On Jun 27, 2010
ohhhhhhhhh snap! the mighty is fallen!, those immigrants didnt wish for their country what they are getting but it happens, migration didnt start today!
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by proudly9ja(m): 9:58am On Jun 27, 2010
I think the coalition is getting it all wrong. The question they should be asking themselves is, 'why are people rushing into the UK?'. While there may be genuine reasons (e.g study, business, etc), majority of migrants (both legal and illegal) come in here to take advantage of the system. That's the area they need to work on. If they can frustrate efforts of those who rely totally on benefits (especially immigrants), they will reduce the number of people who like someone stated earlier, go to the extent of hiding in trucks and engines at Calais to get into UK.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by proudly9ja(m): 10:01am On Jun 27, 2010
Overall though, I think the coalition will make mistakes within the next 5 years. Some will be irreparable and some will take a while to rectify. Its up to them to own up after they have made these mistakes and work to correct them.

Its the reason I supported Labour at the last elections. They have made their mistakes, they should have been allowed to correct their mistakes. Now the coalition will make those mistakes all over again and come next elections, will beg to be allowed to correct them.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by jposuagwu: 10:34am On Jun 27, 2010
I hope they wont place a cap on visitors too? na the one wey concern me bi that. I dont blame the british, i rather blame nigerian leaders that have stolen funds that would have been used in developing nigeria and left our land empty and dry with no job opportunities. This forces our people to migrate elsewhere for greener pastures. Its only how billions are embezzled at different departments of govt that we hear everyday. Nobody is willing to shout order on the thiefing politicians. But i believe that someday, Nigeria will be the destination point for nationals of the world. The grandchilddren of politicians in britain who are placing this cap will all line up to enter nigeria. But our children will visit them with the sin of their fathers and place cap on them.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by DisGuy: 10:44am On Jun 27, 2010
proudly9ja:

Overall though, I think the coalition will make mistakes within the next 5 years. Some will be irreparable and some will take a while to rectify. Its up to them to own up after they have made these mistakes and work to correct them.

Its the reason I supported Labour at the last elections. They have made their mistakes, they should have been allowed to correct their mistakes. Now the coalition will make those mistakes all over again and come next elections, will beg to be allowed to correct them.

thirteen years they had. . . .
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by landtraza(m): 11:45am On Jun 27, 2010
they are still owing AFRICA a lot, so why including us in the capping of a thing after looting our resources and bringing war to our land angry angry. stinking white, make dem no go cap the oil spill way de BP hand, na immigrant de fit cap. angry
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by ROCKJ1(m): 12:16pm On Jun 27, 2010
the UK people are simply telling us, '' please stay in your country and develop it. we dont want you."
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by snowdrops(m): 12:40pm On Jun 27, 2010
Some guys above have simply hit the nail on the head. Take the fish away and you will stop the cats/rats invading your house.

Take away benefits and 90% of your immigration problem is solved. I know too many Nigerian families that are here falsely claiming asylum, they are living in free houses, they don't pay bills, some are entitled to free bus pass, they get supermarket vouchers free, get child credit, child benefit, DLA, Incapacity allowance, etc etc.

They don't go to work. They watch all the talkshows on TV and nollywood movies 24/7. If not they are on the phone yapping to friends globally, or on the highstreet shopping.

I know one who recently completed a duplex in Benin all via benefits!!!

Whoa, There you go i have had my rant.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by justwise(m): 12:50pm On Jun 27, 2010
snowdrops:

Some guys above have simply hit the nail on the head. Take the fish away and you will stop the cats/rats invading your house.
Take away benefits and 90% of your immigration problem is solved. I know too many Nigerian families that are here falsely claiming asylum, they are living in free houses, they don't pay bills, some are entitled to free bus pass, they get supermarket vouchers free, get child credit, child benefit, DLA, Incapacity allowance, etc etc.
They don't go to work. They watch all the talkshows on TV and nollywood movies 24/7. If not they are on the phone yapping to friends globally, or on the highstreet shopping.I know one who recently completed a duplex in Benin all via benefits!!!
Whoa, There you go i have had my rant.

As if we discused this b4, the more baby they make the more money they claim, fake all sorts of sicknesses, i know one that sent his elderly mum to North of England to live on council house as the net close in on him, the mum can't even speak a word of english, tax payers pays for the interpreter, its sick.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by fugocisse: 1:13pm On Jun 27, 2010
one way or the other the evil the british did against us shall visit them back one way or the other! they time they where floocking into our lands and looting us dry it was called COLONIAL ERA!, now the reverse is the case what name did they give it? ILLIGAL IMMIGRANTS!

thank GOD its begging to blow hard now, we are set to see the chicken ass, only if our thiefing politiciance will come to their senses before its too late! sad
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 27, 2010
justwise:

As if we discused this b4, the more baby they make the more money they claim, fake all sorts of sicknesses, i know one that sent his elderly mum to North of England to live on council house as the net close in on him, the mum can't even speak a word of english, tax payers pays for the interpreter, its sick.
well spoken! The Uk's welfare system needs a total rehaul. Some people take advantage of this system by exploiting the loop holes claiming one benefit or the other, living on someone's else's tax. It makes no sense at all. why should i pay council tax for someone else to enjoy benefits.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by Eddeux(m): 6:13pm On Jun 27, 2010
tpiah:

^^dont you mean Canada.

Immigration is a sensitive topic in the US these days.
No it's not, illegal immigration is a sensitive topic. The US would never move to limit LEGAL immigration unless we couldn't support it (highly unlikely, huge country w/ only over 300 million people). US and Canada would definitely be better places for immigrants in my opinion. The UK is just too small and getting tired of the immigrants who just come for benefits. If I apart of the coalition govt I'd make it a law that any immigrant found cheating the system would be deported and not allowed to enter the UK again for x amount of years.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by justwise(m): 6:17pm On Jun 27, 2010
Eddeux:

No it's not, illegal immigration is a sensitive topic. The US would never move to limit LEGAL immigration unless we couldn't support it (highly unlikely, huge country w/ only over 300 million people). US and Canada would definitely be better places for immigrants in my opinion. The UK is just too small and getting tired of the immigrants who just come for benefits. If I apart of the coalition govt I'd make it a law that any immigrant found cheating the system would be deported and not allowed to enter the UK again for x amount of years.

I will support that anyday anytime.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by proudly9ja(m): 6:23pm On Jun 27, 2010
Eddeux:

No it's not, illegal immigration is a sensitive topic. The US would never move to limit LEGAL immigration unless we couldn't support it (highly unlikely, huge country w/ only over 300 million people). US and Canada would definitely be better places for immigrants in my opinion. The UK is just too small and getting tired of the immigrants who just come for benefits. If I apart of the coalition govt[b] I'd make it a law that any immigrant found cheating the system would be deported and not allowed to enter the UK again for x amount of years. [/b]

Which would be a good idea if it was foolproof. But these days, the immigrant would only go home and change identity and apply under a different name.
The key to hitting that out is the Identity card system which I hear the coalition government wants to scrap. Now I know their scrapping it is just a populist move to buy favour from the people but its a wrong move. It you cannot store biometric data of people, you cannot say for sure who is who and who is not. Yes there are risks of identity thefts but these are risks that we should be ready to take rather than make the economy face another round of battering left right and centre.

Dis Guy:

thirteen years they had. . . .
Yeah buy after which there were signs that the economy was recovering from the recession and there were signs that they had learnt from mistakes and were ready to make ammends. The introduction of the biometric card for all residents in the UK is one sign (even though rights activists are against it) and if they had been allowed to continue with that, a lot of problems would have been solved, including benefit cheats.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by justwise(m): 6:32pm On Jun 27, 2010
proudly9ja:

Which would be a good idea if it was foolproof. But these days, the immigrant would only go home and change identity and apply under a different name.[/b]The key to hitting that out is the Identity card system [b]which I hear the coalition government wants to scrap. Now I know their scrapping it is just a populist move to buy favour from the people but its a wrong move. It you cannot store biometric data of people, you cannot say for sure who is who and who is not. Yes there are risks of identity thefts but these are risks that we should be ready to take rather than make the economy face another round of battering left right and centre.
Yeah buy after which there were signs that the economy was recovering from the recession and there were signs that they had learnt from mistakes and were ready to make ammends. The introduction of the biometric card for all residents in the UK is one sign (even though rights activists are against it) and if they had been allowed to continue with that, a lot of problems would have been solved, including benefit cheats.

They can't come back with another ID cos their finger print is taken. The ID card is scarpped already, those that bought it lost their money.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by yommyuk: 6:38pm On Jun 27, 2010
In my opinion, 'immigration' is a catch22 issue. If I am to judge England on its pre-colonial/ colonial attrocities, one will be obliged to say ' serve them right'. On the other side, all the loot they stole worldwide was used to develop their island making them the richest country in the world for over a century. Most of their citizens benefited.

I am all for immigration as long as the benefits are mutual. However I will continue to strongly object  immigrants who use this as an opportunity to fleece the system and benefit no one. Most people from the Non-EU countries immigrate due to the same common reasons. These Non Eu countries are mostly lands of no return. So why come over and mess up the country that accomodated you. Makes no sense.

In regards to the cap on immigration to Non Eu nationals. Kudos cool
Back in the day, when u see someone who has returned from the west in naija, Most come with values that made most people aspire to travel out.
Nowadays,  you see all these Omo Alatas, Omo ojuelegbas, Benin Harlots, 419ers, Fraudsters flexing about. They do not add value to the Nigerian brand abroad. Such people should not be allowed to enter Muritala airport. embarassed
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by justwise(m): 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2010
yommyuk:

In my opinion, 'immigration' is a catch22 issue. If I am to judge England on its pre-colonial/ colonial attrocities, one will be obliged to say ' serve them right'. On the other side, all the loot they stole worldwide was used to develop their island making them the richest country in the world for over a century. Most of their citizens benefited. I am all for immigration as long as the benefits are mutual. However I will continue to strongly object immigrants who use this as an opportunity to fleece the system and benefit no one. Most people from the Non-EU countries immigrate due to the same common reasons. These Non Eu countries are mostly lands of no return. So why come over and mess up the country that accomodated you. Makes no sense.In regards to the cap on immigration to Non Eu nationals. Kudos cool
Back in the day, when u see someone who has returned from the west in naija, Most come with values that made most people aspire to travel out.
Nowadays, you see all these Omo Alatas, Omo ojuelegbas, Benin Harlots, 419ers, Fraudsters flexing about. They do not add value to the Nigerian brand abroad. Such people should not be allowed to enter Muritala airport. embarassed
I thought i'm the only one that hate the sight of those criminals.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by debosky(m): 11:28pm On Jun 27, 2010
The cut is a mere 5% reduction over the current numbers. This is hardly something to get overly worried about.

People are getting the wrong end of the stick as usual - the Somalians and others you mention have little to do with the cap on migrant workers from outside the EU - those people come in asylum seekers and their numbers are unlikely to be affected by the cap.

proudly9ja:

Which would be a good idea if it was foolproof. But these days, the immigrant would only go home and change identity and apply under a different name.
The key to hitting that out is the Identity card system which I hear the coalition government wants to scrap. Now I know their scrapping it is just a populist move to buy favour from the people but its a wrong move. It you cannot store biometric data of people, you cannot say for sure who is who and who is not. Yes there are risks of identity thefts but these are risks that we should be ready to take rather than make the economy face another round of battering left right and centre.

The ID card system is NOT being scrapped for foreigners - only for UK citizens. Thus any foreigners who try to cheat the system can be caught by their biometric data.

Benefits have little to do with the issue of migrant workers - most of the asylum seekers are NOT migrant workers. The benefits system is being overhauled anyway, so that issue will be handled alongside the immigration matters.

It might benefit the African & Asian countries in the end - the continuous loss of talented manpower will be stemmed to some extent.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by proudly9ja(m): 12:44am On Jun 28, 2010
debosky:

The ID card system is NOT being scrapped for foreigners - only for UK citizens. Thus any foreigners who try to cheat the system can be caught by their biometric data.

Benefits have little to do with the issue of migrant workers - most of the asylum seekers are NOT migrant workers. The benefits system is being overhauled anyway, so that issue will be handled alongside the immigration matters.

It might benefit the African & Asian countries in the end - the continuous loss of talented manpower will be stemmed to some extent.
I don't think the ID card system was implemented in the first place for UK citizens. It was proposed by labour but rights activists didn't let it see the light of day.
Right now, I hear the coalition government wants to scrap it altogether (would confirm this though). If this is scrapped then I also do not think biometric data will be stored since its the reason being given for wanting to scrap it in the first place. That why I think priorities are being misplaced. If I'm right with the above, I assume the government will come back in afew years time and realise it was the wrong move.

As for stemming the continuous loss of manpower, I don't think that will happen, at least for African countries. My people will only change their focus to another country. I really don't think people leave Africa because things are much better else where, some people leave because things are really bad where they come from.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by BILLIONs1: 1:50am On Jun 28, 2010
OMO IBO:

Why are people making uninformed comments?
The article made reference to none-EU WORKERS and not STUDENTS.

Talking about students, a home office reports states that international students added £8billion to the nations coffers a few years ago.
David Cameron and the coalition will not risk losing that money by putting cap on students coming over.

All in all, i support a cap on migration but they can't really put a cap on people getting married to British citizens and/or international students.

Oh yeah, and what about the Illegal Immigrants already in the country? I can answer that question.
David Cameron isn't going to do any more than Labour did. The country needs all the money she can get.

@Omo Ibo

Mind you students would eventually become workers, and many so called non-EU workers were once students. How do you propose student immigration should be handled, because the post study visa system is also an incentive to attract students. You dont expect a student to bring in 25,000-30,000 pounds into the system and you just tell him to beat-it immediately after studies. Personally if I had that cash to spend on studies I'll look at systems with better folow up incentives after schooling
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by justwise(m): 8:06am On Jun 28, 2010
debosky:

The cut is a mere 5% reduction over the current numbers. This is hardly something to get overly worried about.
People are getting the wrong end of the stick as usual - the Somalians and others you mention have little to do with the cap on migrant workers from outside the EU - those people come in asylum seekers and their numbers are unlikely to be affected by the cap.
The ID card system is scrapped completely, it was an option for British citizens but compulsory for foreign nationals.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by tkb417(m): 9:10am On Jun 28, 2010
na by force to live for obodo oyinbo?

u berra come home and join me in cultivating land and harvesting cocoa for people to eat

have u heard this
"igbe lowo wa"

grin grin grin y'all shd fashi dem and come home
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 28, 2010
BILLION$:

@Omo Ibo

Mind you students would eventually become workers, and many so called non-EU workers were once students. How do you propose student immigration should be handled, because the post study visa system is also an incentive to attract students. You dont expect a student to bring in 25,000-30,000 pounds into the system and you just tell him to beat-it immediately after studies. Personally if I had that cash to spend on studies I'll look at systems with better folow up incentives after schooling
I agree with you.
My guess is immigrants already in the country will not be part of this new rule.
So as someone on post study visa you are already in the country.
The new rule is applicable to new work permit applicants.

If i may add, word on the street is that the post study scheme will soon be scrapped.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by debosky(m): 11:30am On Jun 28, 2010
justwise:

The ID card system is scrapped completely, it was an option for British citizens but compulsory for foreign nationals.

It was NOT scrapped completely - the foreign scheme continues to operate:

Despite the demise of the national identity card, a separate but technically similar scheme for some foreign nationals will continue.

That scheme, run by the UK Border Agency, is still being rolled out. Immigration minister Damian Green said the scheme was an EU obligation and that the previous Labour government had rolled it into the main ID card programme

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8707355.stm

BILLION$:

@Omo Ibo

Mind you students would eventually become workers, and many so called non-EU workers were once students. How do you propose student immigration should be handled, because the post study visa system is also an incentive to attract students. You dont expect a student to bring in 25,000-30,000 pounds into the system and you just tell him to beat-it immediately after studies. Personally if I had that cash to spend on studies I'll look at systems with better follow up incentives after schooling

That applies mostly to Africans or Asians desperate to escape their home countries. The bulk of spending in the UK higher education sector is from China - and the overwhelming majority of them return to China. In that regard, the changes will not have a material effect on the foreign students coming to the UK. The cream of the crop will still be recruited under the capped system, but those without stellar performances might struggle more than in previous years.

Again, this has no immediate bearing on people currently working in the UK. If you will have to apply for a work permit going forward, then you could be impacted by the cap.
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by 4real(m): 3:22pm On Jun 28, 2010
wow nice reading like most people i feel the problem like most people say is the benefit, while you find loads of non eu on it you will find dat most of the english people also do not work, the only reason most of them are complaining is because the money they are receiving is getting low cause of increase of people on benefits, the uk makes millions in tax from these so called immigrants and so would do nothing against those who are already in only for those who want to come in, am happy about the review of the benefit system as it would be a wake up call for loads of people to get up there lazy ass and work,
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by Lanko0071: 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2010
3 units of 2008 corolla for sale, just 15k miles (N2.5m). Very clean, just came in from US. Also, 2004 nissan morano (N2.85, Acura TL (1.5m), and Benz E class (1.7m). Interested? call or text to 08023679519 or mail lanko2004@hotmail.com. So sorry for breaking your topic
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by snowdrops(m): 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2010
Lanko 007:

3 units of 2008 corolla for sale, just 15k miles (N2.5m). Very clean, just came in from US. Also, 2004 nissan morano (N2.85, Acura TL (1.5m), and Benz E class (1.7m). Interested? call or text to 08023679519 or mail lanko2004@hotmail.com. So sorry for breaking your topic
Are you ok at all?
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by heryyy(m): 5:05pm On Jun 28, 2010
Lanko 007:

Honestly you are supposed to be slap in the face angry angry angry
Re: Uk Moves To Stem Immigration by NubianQ(f): 10:29pm On Jun 28, 2010
@All, points all noted, personally i think the problem with immigration in England started with the EU thing. why join when you dont have the resources to cope?non eu-migrants struggle to come to England and work very very very hard! there are some of them that dont but as an african i consider the MOTIVES BEHIND THE CAP, SENSELESS!!.i feel for my fellow africans who have good intentions. i think the conservative government need to deal with this in a better way. Non-eu migrants are not your problem! the problem stems from EU migrants who come here and everything FREE! i wish all the people who re struggling to make a better life for themselves all the best! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Arrest: The Zoo Has Fallen To The Trap! / JUST IN!!! Tension In Aba, Onitsha As Youths Threaten War / Now That The UK And US Have Taken Their Decision On Ipob What Next

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.