Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,678 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? (4677 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / White Demon Worshippers Trying To Spread Ebola Using Witchcraft / T.B. Joshua Takes Steps Against The Spread Of Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Enigma(m): 8:58pm On Jun 26, 2010
Interesting perspective on money and spreading the gospel. From here: http://lordsquill.com/Articles/Reformational/Does_it_Take_Money_to_Spread_the_Gospel.htm

Money, they say, makes the world go round. But does it make the Gospel go round too? . . .

But does it really take money to spread the Gospel? Really? To which I’d have to answer, with a resounding, "NO!" It does not take money to spread the Gospel! If it does, Jesus would not have sent out His disciples to preach the Gospel without money. Twice, not once, when Jesus sent out His disciples to preach the Gospel, (first the twelve and then the seventy disciples -- Luke 9:1-6 and Luke 10:1-30); He told them not to take anything with them for the journey. Not money, not extra clothes, not extra shoes, not food, etc.

You say, "But Paul asked the Corinthians for money to support his ministry. Why do you say that it doesn’t take money to spread the Gospel?" No! Paul did not ask the Corinthians for money to support his ministry. Rather, he reminded them of the promise they made to support the other saints (2 Corinthians 9:5). The money was meant to meet the needs of the other saints in need (2 Corinthians 9:1, 12). Not for spreading the Gospel. There’s a difference (Read the whole of 2 Corinthians 8 and 9). This was similar to what the Early Christians did in Acts 2:41-47 and 4:33-37.

I believe that one of the reasons most ministries or ministers come up with all kinds of schemes to raise money is because they over-stretch their ministries, all in the name of acting out in faith. And when they are not able to meet their enormous bills, they resort to all kinds of tricks and schemes. Another reason is just due to their sheer extravagance, in the name of making God look ‘good.’ You often see such unnecessary extravagance in multi-million dollar church buildings or ministry buildings or campuses.

First of all, let me say that God does not dwell in temples made by hands (Acts 17:24). Rather, He dwells in the hearts of men. We are His temple (1 Corinthians 3:16)!

Second of all, God doesn’t care about where we worship; whether we worship under a tree, in a tent, a school or a cathedral. He only cares about our worship, i.e., how we worship Him –- in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). He only cares about being resident in our hearts, not in brick and mortar.

Perhaps, you say, "But how about in the Old Testament, where God told Moses to tell the people to bring their gold, silver, etc. to build the tabernacle?" (Exodus 25:1-3) That’s true. That was in the Old Testament, and that’s why it’s the Old Testament! It does not apply to us in the New Testament, in the dispensation of Grace. Remember that the tabernacle was a make-shift, collapsible tent. It was a temporary structure. God had to dwell in the tabernacle because in the Old Testament, God’s Spirit couldn’t reside in man because Jesus had not yet come and man had not been redeemed yet.

Even when King Solomon built the first temple, he acknowledged the fact that heaven could not contain God, much less for Him to dwell in a temple (1 Kings 8:27).

Some of these preachers even have the gall to ask their members and radio or TV audience to contribute towards purchasing a private jet or upgrading their private jets, so that they can take the Gospel to the rest of the world! Lie! Most of them use the private jets for their personal pleasure than they do actual ministry work!

For instance, Christian ministries like TBN, Daystar, etc., raise money every year during a telethon (as someone put it, "Con-a-thon"wink in the name of taking the Gospel to the outermost parts of the world or that they are reaching the world for Christ. Lie! They raise money to sustain the lavish lifestyles of their founders Paul and his wife Jan Crouch (TBN), Marcus and Joni Lamb (Daystar). They are not reaching the world for Christ; rather they are only reaching the Body of Christ or better yet the spiritually gullible for themselves; to grow their own personal empires!

I mean, how are you reaching the world for Christ, when the majority of your viewers are Christians, not unbelievers? For the most part, unbelievers don’t watch Christian stations or programming! So, if anyone is truly trying to reach sinners, he/she would go where sinners are or broadcast on secular radio or TV stations that sinners listen to or watch, not Christian stations!

etc etc etc
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by nuclearboy(m): 10:10pm On Jun 26, 2010
They won't show up here.

1st - Scripture supports you
2nd - Good sense supports you

BUT we need to remember some have made a career of this and needs must be catered for. Where the problem comes is "I have a dream, start a church and thus I OWN the dam.ned place so can do anything I like". Thats why everyone wants a jet to take the Gospel back to where it came from instead of going into the villages or (don't even mention it) Niger Republic or ordinary Katsina here.

Apparently God is not interested in rough hausas and fulanis: too rough, those guys. Only those with Dollars in Lagos and the US are heaven's candidates cry
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Joagbaje(m): 4:41am On Jun 27, 2010
It does not take money to preach the gospel . But to spread the gospel? The more money you put into it , the faster the spread. Ministry like ours is making so much impact in the middle east /asia were the work of ministry has been very challenging. But we have greater result through our satelite tv station and internet hit through our websites. Many hundreds of thousands have come to accept Jesus christ as lord through these media. Personal evangelism has its place. But if you must get the gospel round the world , you must take advantage of technology, Use the media. Some satelite stations will not consider putting your programme on air except you have a state of the art studio and recording eqipment. Some recommended HD cameras may cost between 1 million to 5 million just for a camera and you may need 5 to 10. The End Time Teacher , Jack Van Impe almost had his programmes taken off air 2 years ago because his studio was regarded as outdated. He was forced to get entirely new complete state of the art studio equipment for them to continue to broadcast his programme. Now you dont buy such by fasting, you need heavy bucks.
Jesus in his entire ministry had only 120 desciples and had the highest attendance in a crusade of 5,000 men . if we add women and children maybe 10,000. Someone like pastor Chris could be in a studio talking to tens of millions .

Eccles. 10:19
money answereth all things.

The world has changed. Old time religion will not suffice.

1 Like

Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by InesQor(m): 5:44am On Jun 27, 2010
Interesting thread. Subscribing.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Zikkyy(m): 6:30am On Jun 27, 2010
It takes money alright, but not as much as the amount the MOGs are calling for. Having hundreds (or even thousands) of MOGs preaching to same crowd is un-neccessary and waste of fund if you ask me.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Enigma(m): 7:48am On Jun 27, 2010
Zikkyy:

It takes money alright, but not as much as the amount the MOGs are calling for. Having hundreds (or even thousands) of MOGs preaching to same crowd is un-neccessary and waste of fund if you ask me. 

Yep, I can agree with this; and indeed it is very right and even important that part of one's giving is into "church" or for the furthering of ministry. However, I also agree with the article in that this giving to "ministry" is often only indirectly for spreading the gospel as a lot of it is taken up by administrative/running costs.

Joagbaje:

It does not take money to preach the gospel . But to spread the gospel? The more money you put into it , the faster the spread. Ministry like ours is making so much impact in the middle east /asia were the work of ministry has been very challenging. But we have  greater result through our satelite tv station and internet hit through our websites. Many hundreds of thousands have come to accept Jesus christ as lord through these media.

I think you are exaggerating; very, recently, I lived in the Middle East for a stretch and have a fair idea of the state of Christianity there; your Christ Embassy "ministry" was nowhere on the radar when I lived in the Middle East!

Joagbaje:

Personal evangelism has its place. But if you must get the gospel round the world , you must take advantage of technology, Use the media. Some satelite stations will not consider putting your programme on air except you have a state of the art studio and recording eqipment. Some recommended  HD cameras may cost between 1 million to 5 million just for a camera and you may need 5 to 10.

Yep, technology is all well and good ------ but other than the fact that a lot of Christians watch so-called "Christian" TV and a good number of them are fleeced of their money, the fact is that so-called "Christian" TV is very useless at evangelism and conversion of non-Christians. In terms of  converting non-Christians to Christianity, so-called "Christian" TV is not value for money at all and the "return on investment" is very poor.

Joagbaje:
The End Time Teacher , Jack Van Impe almost had his programmes taken off air 2 years ago because his studio was regarded as outdated. He was forced to get entirely new complete state of the art studio equipment for them to continue to broadcast his programme. Now you dont buy  such by fasting, you need heavy bucks.

Jack Impe and his wife, when I had time to watch them, talked so much nonsense that it is no loss if their programme goes off air --- granted the man could quote Bible verses off head like no man's business.

Joagbaje:
Jesus in his entire ministry had only 120 desciples and had the highest attendance in a crusade of 5,000 men . if we add women and children maybe 10,000. Someone like pastor Chris could be in a studio talking to tens of millions .

Here you do two things: first you deceive yourself by saying that your god "Pastor Chris" "could be in a studio talking to tens of millions" from a studio; you display your ignorance of the difference between potential and actual; you display your ignorance of how television viewing figures (especially of an individual station) is calculated. Your "Loveworld" station operates here in the UK, yet its viewership is nowhere on the radar when calculating viewing figures in the UK. Let me give you a comparable example. This religion web-page can be viewed by maybe hundreds of millions but do you know that sometimes each post is read  by only 5, maybe 10 readers  - going by the site's own figures?

Second, you show your readiness to undermine Jesus Christ even if only with flippancy and thoughtlessness and of course in the process to elevate your god "Pastor Chris". If you had any sense of true appreciation of Jesus Christ, you will not talk of Him in terms of "holding a crusade" and/or having whatever numbers attending; if you have a proper sense of appreciation of Jesus Christ, you will know that he transcends all that.

Joagbaje:

Eccles. 10:19
money answereth all things.

The world has changed. Old time religion will not suffice.

Typical indiscriminate quoting and misuse of scripture!
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Image123(m): 10:34am On Jun 27, 2010
I think I agree 100% with Zikkyy on this one. Nobody can live on this one earth without money involved.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Joagbaje(m): 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2010
Enigma:

I think you are exaggerating; very, recently, I lived in the Middle East for a stretch and have a fair idea of the state of Christianity there; your Christ Embassy "ministry" was nowhere on the radar when I lived in the Middle East!

How can you say that?. Do people watch decoders on the street? were you in people's bedroom to know what they watch?. You are not in the best position to talk about CEC outreaches. Do you know how manyfeed backs we get? Our conferences witness so many people of all races , we even had to have interpretations with ear piece for some. Chinese were weeping and crying on the floor, for the opportunity to atttend such conference. india, middle east. How can you sit in front of a computer and talking about what you dont know.

Yep, technology is all well and good ------ but other than the fact that a lot of Christians watch so-called "Christian" TV and a good number of them are fleeced of their money, the fact is that so-called [b]"Christian" TV is very useless at evangelism and conversion of non-Christian[/b]s. In terms of converting non-Christians to Christianity, so-called "Christian" TV is not value for money at all and the "return on investment" is very poor.

What fact formed your opinion? Every time loveworld programmes comes on air, The phones start ringing. People are first led to the lord on the phone.before they can even recieve prayer for whatever problem. There is prayer of salvation on the screen also after the teachings. What are you saying? And what is this money , money thing and fleece you guys always talk about. Money is nothing to us . It is a servant. It must be used. It is rather those who worship money as a God that find it hard to give out, and always criticising those who use it.

Here you do two things: first you deceive yourself by saying that your god "Pastor Chris" "could be in a studio talking to tens of millions" from a studio; you display your ignorance of the difference between potential and actual; you display your ignorance of how television viewing figures (especially of an individual station) is calculated. Your "Loveworld" station operates here in the UK, yet its viewership is nowhere on the radar when calculating viewing figures in the UK. Let me give you a comparable example. This religion web-page can be viewed by maybe hundreds of millions but do you know that sometimes each post is read by only 5, maybe 10 readers - going by the site's own figures?

Our figures comes for feedbacks statistics. So you attempt to undermine viewership of loveworld doesnt hold water.
I have loved ones that are not CEC members in the uk. They call me and appreciate the impact of loveworld. Thats just by the way.

[/quote]Second, you show your readiness to undermine Jesus Christ even if only with flippancy and thoughtlessness and of course in the process to elevate your god "Pastor Chris". If you had any sense of true appreciation of Jesus Christ, you will not talk of Him in terms of "holding a crusade" and/or having whatever numbers attending; if you have a proper sense of appreciation of Jesus Christ, you will know that he transcends all that.
[quote]

I cannot undermine my lord Jesus, I was dealing with statistics. If my figure was wrong , prove it from scripture because I got the figures from there. I even added extra 5,000 crowd for Jesus! Just in case.My Point is the benefit of technology and cash to have greater impact. If Jesus were on earth now, he will feel embarrased by you because he will take advantage of technology. Some preachers did worst befor by criticising TV in timt past but thank God they are on TV now. We should appreciate those who are working day and night for God , rather than criticising them.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by eyzhvntsn: 8:35pm On Jun 27, 2010
Enigma:

Yep, I can agree with this; and indeed it is very right and even important that part of one's giving is into "church" or for the furthering of ministry. However, I also agree with the article in that this giving to "ministry" is often only indirectly for spreading the gospel as a lot of it is taken up by administrative/running costs.

I think you are exaggerating; very, recently, I lived in the Middle East for a stretch and have a fair idea of the state of Christianity there; your Christ Embassy "ministry" was nowhere on the radar when I lived in the Middle East!

Yep, technology is all well and good ------ but other than the fact that a lot of Christians watch so-called "Christian" TV and a good number of them are fleeced of their money, the fact is that so-called "Christian" TV is very useless at evangelism and conversion of non-Christians. In terms of  converting non-Christians to Christianity, so-called "Christian" TV is not value for money at all and the "return on investment" is very poor.

Jack Impe and his wife, when I had time to watch them, talked so much nonsense that it is no loss if their programme goes off air --- granted the man could quote Bible verses off head like no man's business.

Here you do two things: first you deceive yourself by saying that your god "Pastor Chris" "could be in a studio talking to tens of millions" from a studio; you display your ignorance of the difference between potential and actual; you display your ignorance of how television viewing figures (especially of an individual station) is calculated. Your "Loveworld" station operates here in the UK, yet its viewership is nowhere on the radar when calculating viewing figures in the UK. Let me give you a comparable example. This religion web-page can be viewed by maybe hundreds of millions but do you know that sometimes each post is read  by only 5, maybe 10 readers  - going by the site's own figures?

Second, you show your readiness to undermine Jesus Christ even if only with flippancy and thoughtlessness and of course in the process to elevate your god "Pastor Chris". If you had any sense of true appreciation of Jesus Christ, you will not talk of Him in terms of "holding a crusade" and/or having whatever numbers attending; if you have a proper sense of appreciation of Jesus Christ, you will know that he transcends all that.

Typical indiscriminate quoting and misuse of scripture!

Merveilleux
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by TV01(m): 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2010
It does not take money to preach or to spread the gospel. Money in the body of Christ moves almost overwhemingly for physical need. End of. There is nothing writ in scripture or any biblical example to suggest otherwise - although I stand to be corrected if anyone can evidence otherwise. As for organised religion, now that requires cash money, and plenty of it.

God bless
TV
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Image123(m): 4:02pm On Jun 28, 2010
^someone who will do anything of significance in this world must use money. Money is a defence. The person who wants to spread the gospel effectively must eat, transport himself and take care of others. You're not more spiritual than Jesus who himself talked about and spent money. You're not on the internet free, are you?
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Joagbaje(m): 4:30pm On Jun 28, 2010
@TV01,

TV01:

It does not take money to preach or to spread the gospel. Money in the body of Christ moves almost overwhemingly for physical need. End of. There is nothing writ in scripture or any biblical example to suggest otherwise - although I stand to be corrected if anyone can evidence otherwise. As for organised religion, now that requires cash money, and plenty of it.
God bless

Have you asked yourself where Jesus got money to hire boat, and for welfare.

Luke 8:3
And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.

Where did Judas get money to steal from jesus?

John 12:6
This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by TV01(m): 11:47pm On Jun 28, 2010
Image123:

^someone who will do anything of significance in this world must use money. Money is a defence. The person who wants to spread the gospel effectively must eat, transport himself and take care of others. You're not more spiritual than Jesus who himself talked about and spent money. You're not on the internet free, are you?

Sounds very plausible doesn't it? Please demonstrate from the bible where/when/how money is requird to preach the gospel of The Lord Jesus Christ. When He sent them "out with nowt", they took nothing. How was it funded?

Maybe you could put a figure on it. Could you perhaps "unitise" it, then attempt to "monetise" it. Say " a unit of gospel preaching" could be UGP the unit cost of preaching the gospel (UCPG). Pray tell us how money defends one preaching the gospel? Please post something with a little thought behind it.

I can't say I'm more spiritual than Jesus, no. But no one can show where Jesus talked about or spent money to preach the gospel?

God bless
TV
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by TV01(m): 11:55pm On Jun 28, 2010
Joagbaje:

@TV01,

Have you asked yourself where Jesus got money to hire boat, and for welfare.
Luke 8:3
And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance.

Where did Judas get money to steal from jesus?
John 12:6
This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

I asked you a question on another thread - related to Gods supposed tithing plan as a vehicle for prosperity or some such notion you postulated - if I recall, you did'nt even acknowledge the question, let alone respond. Anyway.

Welfare = Need. This exists with or without preaching and I spoke to this already. Please try harder. "The Labourer is worthy of His wages".

Thanks
TV
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Image123(m): 6:11am On Jun 29, 2010
Matthew 10v9 Provide neither
gold, nor silver, nor brass in
your purses, 10 Nor scrip
for your journey, neither
two coats, neither shoes,
nor yet staves: for the
workman is worthy of his
meat.
11 And into
whatsoever city or town ye
shall enter, enquire who in
it is worthy; and there
abide till ye go thence. 12
And when ye come into an
house, salute it. 13 And if
the house be worthy, let
your peace come upon it:
but if it be not worthy, let
your peace return to you.
14 And whosoever shall
not receive you, nor hear
your words, when ye
depart out of that house
or city, shake off the dust
of your feet.
You'll note here that the preachers were to be taken care of by others, and that involved money not just God bless you mouthtalk. When Jesus was to feed the thousands in Luke 9, it involved someone's financial sacrifice AND divine intervention. And if you know your Bible well, going without scrip or purse was not permanent status quo, as they were merely leveraging on the physical presence of the bridegroom.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by Joagbaje(m): 8:51pm On Jun 29, 2010
TV01:

I asked you a question on another thread - related to Gods supposed tithing plan as a vehicle for prosperity or some such notion you postulated - if I recall, you did'nt even acknowledge the question, let alone respond. Anyway.

Welfare = Need. This exists with or without preaching and I spoke to this already. Please try harder. "The Labourer is worthy of His wages".

Thanks
TV

I did not deliberately ignore the question. maybe I missed it. Sometimes i do have some network situation. But this Welfare=Need thing ,I dont really understand, I will apppreciate a little clarity.
Re: Does It Take Money To Spread The Gospel? by nuclearboy(m): 12:49pm On Jun 30, 2010
TV01:

Sounds very plausible doesn't it? Please demonstrate from the bible where/when/how money is requird to preach the gospel of The Lord Jesus Christ. When He sent them "out with nowt", they took nothing. How was it funded?

Maybe you could put a figure on it. Could you perhaps "unitise" it, then attempt to "monetise" it. Say " a unit of gospel preaching" could be UGP the unit cost of preaching the gospel (UCPG). Pray tell us how money defends one preaching the gospel? Please post something with a little thought behind it.

I can't say I'm more spiritual than Jesus, no. But no one can show where Jesus talked about or spent money to preach the gospel?

God bless
TV

grin grin grin

UGP as a function of UCPG! You wan kill dem? cheesy No wonder this thread has been "ignored" grin

(1) (Reply)

Christian Hedonism And The Pursuit Of Happiness / Scientists Have Discovered God / The Garden Of Eden Is In This EXACT Location. Secrets Declassified.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.