Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,808 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread - Car Talk (230) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread (444965 Views)

A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / So Buhari's Official Car Na Boi Boi Sef... / Donald Trump's Official Car "The Beast": 15 Amazing Facts You May Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by foolbuster: 9:14am On Sep 15, 2022
kingreign:

ML350 2010-11, C300 2010-12, E350 2010-12
Acura MDX 2010-12, Acura TL 2010-14, Acura RDX 2010-13,
Lexus RX350 2010-12, ES350 2010-15, GS350 2010-11,
Toyota Avalon 2013-15, Camry 2012-16, Highlander 2010-13,
Honda Accord 2013-16.

The list is almost inexhaustible.

Good luck!

Just curious, why recommend 2010 - 12 MDX rather than 2007- 09 ?
Isn't the 07-09 the best for that generation since they don't have the oil burn issue of the later models.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ManAdii: 10:05am On Sep 15, 2022
ManAdii:
Experts here, what's your review on mazda 6 1.8L 2007 model. Is this car durable?
Is it a good buy for a first timer?
Answers please
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dayveed1(m): 5:19pm On Sep 15, 2022
HeavenlyBang:

Your C350 was a 2009, right? In that case, it doesn't use the same engine as the 2012+ ML350. M272 vs M276.

Surprising to learn that a W204 gave you issues; they're generally solid cars.

QX70 is a great car. I have an '11 FX35, which is essentially the same car and it's been solid so far. Owned a G35 for two years as well with the same mechanical bits and it was fine. It's not the smoothest of engines, though, and has bad fuel economy. Worth considering. My V8 E550 has better fuel economy than the Infiniti V6, for example.
Yes bro it was a 2009. From one problem to another.
Always Overheat on highway even at a grandma's speed, crankshaft issues too oh and the steering lock problem too had it towed like two times after engine refused start. Omo! I been tell you then but you thought I was overreacting LOL.

I will give Merc another try and Consider the ML
Thanks always.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 15, 2022
ManAdii:

Answers please
For a first timer, you probably should just stick to your Toyotas and Hondas really.

If you really want the Mazda6, get a second or third gen. (2009 upwards)
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ManAdii: 10:10pm On Sep 15, 2022
Dreamswayne:

For a first timer, you probably should just stick to your Toyotas and Hondas really.

If you really want the Mazda6, get a second or third gen. (2009 upwards)
Okay thanks
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by ManAdii: 10:10pm On Sep 15, 2022
Please which car scanner do you guys use?
I want to get one. I'm a first time car owner abeg make una no vex.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by eginaP: 10:36pm On Sep 15, 2022
I currently drive a Camry 2007, and I intend to replace it with an SUV, A highlander 2009 or a Pilot 2011.

I need advise on which of the cars to go for, especially considering the Nigerian variables like availability of parts, terrible roads etc. also on the car side, I am also concerned about reliability, durability and resell value.

While buying a foreign used (tokunbo) will be my preferred option, financial constraint might push me towards a Nigeria used version, what is your thought on this too?

By the way, I once had an MDX and selling it was a terrible experience, in fact I sold the car at a ridiculous cost due to low resell value.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 2:17am On Sep 16, 2022
eginaP:
I currently drive a Camry 2007, and I intend to replace it with an SUV, A highlander 2009 or a Pilot 2011.

I need advise on which of the cars to go for, especially considering the Nigerian variables like availability of parts, terrible roads etc. also on the car side, I am also concerned about reliability, durability and resell value.

While buying a foreign used (tokunbo) will be my preferred option, financial constraint might push me towards a Nigeria used version, what is your thought on this too?

By the way, I once had an MDX and selling it was a terrible experience, in fact I sold the car at a ridiculous cost due to low resell value.
get highlander since resale value matters to you.for person like me,I dont care about resale value.

4 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:18am On Sep 16, 2022
dayveed1:
Yes bro it was a 2009. From one problem to another.
Always Overheat on highway even at a grandma's speed, crankshaft issues too oh and the steering lock problem too had it towed like two times after engine refused start. Omo! I been tell you then but you thought I was overreacting LOL.

I will give Merc another try and Consider the ML
Thanks always.

Alright, bro.
If you can get a loaded 2011+ FX35, it's also a good option.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Peterlove11: 7:51pm On Sep 16, 2022
eginaP:

If resale value....definitely toyota. But me won't even blink twice, I will grab the honda

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lagusboyyy(m): 3:20pm On Sep 17, 2022
eginaP:

Toyota Highlander is your best bet bro.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by tosinjay(m): 4:48am On Sep 22, 2022
mk82:

It's the Asian version of the Yaris
Good morning sire I had problem with my phone where I have your contact, please help me with it. I hope you didn't forget about your humble exchanger back then oh lol... Lemme dm you.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 9:00am On Sep 22, 2022
Peterlove11:

If resale value....definitely toyota. But me won't even blink twice, I will grab the honda

Pls you guys should help educate a lame man here, this "resale value" Toyota thing gives me migraine each time I see it

2009 Highlander
Toks - ₦7m - ₦7.5m
Naija used - ₦5m range

2011 Honda Pilot
Toks - ₦6m - ₦6.5m
Naija used - ₦3.5m range

Kindly point out to me how exactly the Toyota has a better "resale value"

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 9:02am On Sep 22, 2022
Aaaaarghmed:
get highlander since resale value matters to you.for person like me,I dont care about resale value.

Do you just look at how much you sell the Toyota Naija used without putting in consideration their prices as toks

Pls how do you calculate your own resale value ?
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dadabashua1(m): 10:38am On Sep 22, 2022
valarinz:

Pls you guys should help educate a lame man here, this "resale value" Toyota thing gives me migraine each time I see it

2009 Highlander
Toks - ₦7m - ₦7.5m
Naija used - ₦5m range

2011 Honda Pilot
Toks - ₦6m - ₦6.5m
Naija used - ₦3.5m range

trust me I have stopped proving this point sir,but some of us knows resale value is not about which sold higher, when that same brand cost you more while buying,only a few understands this resale value na scam and over blown,the difference or resale value of the two brands is almost same thing.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 3:56pm On Sep 22, 2022
valarinz:

Do you just look at how much you sell the Toyota Naija used without putting in consideration their prices as toks

Pls how do you calculate your own resale value ?
depends on how much I bought the car wether toks or fairly used,most of us dey greedy..you buy a car 700k and use for 3years and expect to sell for 900k..for me,I have never expected to sell a car more than how much it was bought..if I buy a car of 900k after 3years I will put 600k as price.las las,if nobody agree for 600k,if I see 500k I sell and move.i really dont care about resale value,I care more about a good handling car and my preference because God dey always give me money to add up and buy another.Am not a car dealer but a car user

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lexini: 5:01pm On Sep 22, 2022
I think the matter here is not really the resale price - it is the ease of selling when you want to.
Generally, a nigerian used toyota or lexus will sell faster than a honda or acura...

Aaaaarghmed:
depends on how much I bought the car wether toks or fairly used,most of us dey greedy..you buy a car 700k and use for 3years and expect to sell for 900k..for me,I have never expected to sell a car more than how much it was bought..if I buy a car of 900k after 3years I will put 600k as price.las las,if nobody agree for 600k,if I see 500k I sell and move.i really dont care about resale value,I care more about a good handling car and my preference because God dey always give me money to add up and buy another.Am not a car dealer but a car user

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2022
Aaaaarghmed:

Given our tripling inflation rate, buying a car for ₦700k and selling it for ₦700k after 3yrs doesn't mean you sold at same price, you actually sold lower than you bought... That's by the way

My submission about "resale value" as being depicted by most of you guys still stands
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 5:08pm On Sep 22, 2022
lexini:
I think the matter here is not really the resale price - it is the ease of selling when you want to.
Generally, a nigerian used toyota or lexus will sell faster than a honda or acura...

If you say this, then I'll perhaps reluctantly agree. Though I still believe the ease of selling has more to do with the state of your car than just the brand it is. If your car is in pristine condition, you'll easily get a buyer irrespective of brand

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dadabashua1(m): 5:23pm On Sep 22, 2022
lexini:

I beg to differ,some other factors comes into play,like how good the car is,affordability and a VERY important one we always over look,LOCATION, I don't believe is easier to sell off a Toyota in the North than Honda, na,its from experience, some Honda goes in less than an hour of advert in the North,and its a common occurrence not a one off thing,we always over look these factors especially location.

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by lexini: 5:46pm On Sep 22, 2022
Yeah. I assumed other factors will be held constant sha - like state of the car...
There's this affinity with toyotas...

I almost bought a volvo at a time - even called and chatted with you but i just no get the mind - and i know there are many like me... grin

valarinz:

If you say this, then I'll perhaps reluctantly agree. Though I still believe the ease of selling has more to do with the state of your car than just the brand it is. If your car is in pristine condition, you'll easily get a buyer irrespective of brand

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2022
lexini:
Yeah. I assumed other factors will be held constant sha - like state of the car...
There's this affinity with toyotas...

I almost bought a volvo at a time - even called and chatted with you but i just no get the mind - and i know there are many like me... grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why liver cut you na, you fear yabs from your peers or na "resale value" grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2022
As long as your average Nigerian new car buyer always list reliability, ruggedness, and fuel economy. They'll most likely be recommended a Toyota hence the demand and exorbitant prices by greedy sellers...

The prices of toks (most times accidented lipsrsealed) Corollas makes me weep but them still dey rush am! embarassed
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by dadabashua1(m): 6:50pm On Sep 22, 2022
Dreamswayne:
As long as your average Nigerian new car buyer always list reliability, ruggedness, and fuel economy. They'll most likely be recommended a Toyota hence the demand and exorbitant prices by greedy sellers...

The prices of toks (most times accidented lipsrsealed) Corollas makes me weep but them still dey rush am! embarassed
you see the 2003-2008 corolla in particular,dem Don already carry Nigerians go where dem no know, including yours faithfully grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by baaliyah(m): 8:47pm On Sep 22, 2022
valarinz:

2009 Highlander
Toks - ₦7m - ₦7.5m
Naija used - ₦5m range

2011 Honda Pilot
Toks - ₦6m - ₦6.5m
Naija used - ₦3.5m range

With the prices of Highlander and Pilot you stated, the Highlander has a better resale value.

N5m of N7m is 71 percent residual value. For highlander

M3.5m of N6m is 58 percent residual value. For Pilot.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 8:56pm On Sep 22, 2022
baaliyah:

With the prices of Highlander and Pilot you stated, the Highlander has a better resale value.

N5m of N7m is 71 percent residual value. For highlander

M3.5m of N6m is 58 percent residual value. For Pilot.

This one na shalaye pro max grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by valarinz: 8:58pm On Sep 22, 2022
Dreamswayne:

It's more like an unwritten code, they all start up with Toyotas and then move on and never come back.. even yours truly is fully guilty grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by baaliyah(m): 9:14pm On Sep 22, 2022
valarinz:

This one na shalaye pro max grin grin grin

Bro, I am only interested in the figures.
I won't ever argue with you nah, no one ever wins.
Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Dabss(m): 7:38am On Sep 23, 2022
valarinz:

It's more like an unwritten code, they all start up with Toyotas and then move on and never come back.. even yours truly is fully guilty grin grin
Toyotas are excellent first time cars. Reliable engines with fake spare parts. When you finally move on you will definitely realize they are overrated.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by Aaaaarghmed(m): 2:12pm On Sep 23, 2022
Dabss:
Toyotas are excellent first time cars. Reliable engines with fake spare parts. When you finally move on you will definitely realize they are overrated.
I thank God I started with a honda as a first car,when I later drove someone muscle,it felt so crappy ,poor handling and too light.

3 Likes

Re: The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread by fizcoo20(m): 7:02am On Sep 29, 2022
Plz, help me to choose between big daddy camry 04/05 . 05/06 and Honda civic 2007. As a first car owner. I need your review about the two care.

Thanks in anticipation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) (232) (233) ... (259) (Reply)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.