Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS (15431 Views)

RRS Removes Christmas Roadblock On The Marina In Lagos. / RRS Rescues Two underage Boys At Marina In Lagos (Photos) / Two Uber Vehicles Rolled Over In Collision In Lagos, RRS Came To The Rescue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by blackaxe78: 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2018
Bollinger:

To go jog? Really? Na who lie to you like this?

Bro, that's what works for me.

I sometimes have a lunch pack of Rice and hot peppered stew with me, and also juice and water. And mostly have transport money with me in case I can't jog back to take off destination
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by N101: 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2018
blackaxe78:

Bro, that's what works for me.

I sometimes have a lunch pack of Rice and hot peppered stew with me, and also juice and water. And mostly have transport money with me in case I can't jog back to take off destination

I'm curious - how long after you pack your stomach with food do you go jogging, and for how long?
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Menzy86(m): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2018
As weird as this may sound, you can jog in most northern cities very early in the morning and never be scared of being kidnapped. Traffic is usually never congested too especially in the morning hours

2 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 26, 2018
PotatoSalad:
Jog against traffic. Wear glow trainers or bright colored sportswears. Don't use closed back headphones on roads with heavy traffic. Carry pepper spray (for women). Lots of idiots move about in the early morning looking for where to plug their chargers

grin grin grin
Don't break my bones with laugh abegi

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by dgitrader(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2018
Jogging has its risk even when you take all the needed precautions, especially on the poorly planed and unsecured roads all over nigeria. A typical example is what happens at bends or winding roads at early mornings, many drivers are mad.. They never slowdown nor anticipate a jogger coming from the opposite direction. It's either the jogger flees for life or risk past a moving vehicle within some 2 feet. It's like a car zooming into a blind spot with a jogger suddenly in view. DEADLY
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by jasysandra(f): 12:32pm On Aug 26, 2018
blackaxe78:
Eat well before embarking on the activity

Mostly solid food with a good soup with lots of beef, fresh and stock fish.
na wa for you ooo grin
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Afam4eva(m): 12:35pm On Aug 26, 2018
The only tip for people who want to jog in Lagos is not to do it. Go to the gym and run on the threadmill.

I was told by the doctor that i had high cholesterol, so i decided to start doing some jogging. But each time i did it, i always narrowly escape being knock down by a car, so i stopped.

Our environment is nor car friendly, how much more "jog friendly". Don't jog, stay ALIVE.

5 Likes

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by naptu2: 12:42pm On Aug 26, 2018
My tips.

1) Pick a place that has a proper sidewalk and only run on the sidewalk.

2) Choose a place that's secure and well lit.

3) Use LED lights or wear something reflective.

4) Always keep to the right.

I've been jogging on Lagos roads (very early in the morning) for 5 years and I've never had any problems except with people who refuse to keep to the right.

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by SoNature(m): 12:42pm On Aug 26, 2018
Even since I discovered jogging on Saturday mornings, I realized that I work better in the new week.

Also, I was panting like a dog coming from 20km relay on my first day. But today, I cover the same distance and return without panting. It's a clear indication that my body is getting used to the system.

What's more? I used to have something like sudden shock within me, but it has stopped since I started jogging.

Jogging isn't just about slimming down; it has numerous benefits

I look forward to extending my finish line this Saturday.

Those tips are critical

Thank you, Oga Police

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by WhoBeThisMan: 12:43pm On Aug 26, 2018
thatigboman:
even in advanced countries, it happens
no bro it dosnt
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by meobizy(f): 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2018
Olalan:
In this part of the world na person wey chop belle full dey jog..........
BTW quite an educating info for joggers
This is the Nigerian excuse to anything exercise or work inducing labour.
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Glink2018(m): 1:17pm On Aug 26, 2018
Nah person wey dey over comfortable suppose to they jog. Me wey be say nah everyday I dey Waka from bolade to oshodi so that I go catch cheap bus to Victoria island, both going and coming.
My own pass daily exercise.
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by meobizy(f): 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2018
I’ve always wanted to start jogging but my main fear is the police themselves with their wanton stray bullets. I like my life so na exercise for inside house or gym get me.

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by schoolboi: 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2018
naptu2:
My tips.

1) Pick a place that has a proper sidewalk and only run on the sidewalk.

2) Choose a place that's secure and well lit.

3) Use LED lights or wear something reflective.

4) Always keep to the right.

I've been jogging on Lagos roads (very early in the morning) for 5 years and I've never had any problems except with people who refuse to keep to the right.

Pardon my ignorance. What sort of reflective cloth are they talking about for jogging. A pic will be helpful. you fit snap the one you use. Thank You.
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by alizma: 1:44pm On Aug 26, 2018
WhoBeThisMan:
Hmm Nigeria... How can someone go out for an early morning jog and be worried about bring kidnapped ? This is insane
people like you keep this country where it is. half baked. simple paragraph you can't read with understanding but you are the first to condemn. since you find it difficult to understand what the command was talking about, let me help you out. he was talking About safety measures to avoid being knocked down while jogging.
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by naptu2: 1:57pm On Aug 26, 2018
schoolboi:

Pardon my ignorance. What sort of reflective cloth are they talking about for jogging. A pic will be helpful. you fit snap the one you use. Thank You.

1) Reflective vest: It's neon green, so it's highly visible and it also reflects light (just like your caution sign).

2) Some people also wear vests that have flashing LED lights and I've even seen someone on the bridge wearing a headband that had flashing red LED lights on it.

3) Vest with LED lights.

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by chukzyfcbb: 3:18pm On Aug 26, 2018
Na stray dogs tire me pass, and no be say na even German shepherd, na Rottweillers.

U will want to jog past a certain path very early in the morning, only to see 3 rotts wandering around.

Dogs are the biggest challenge for me
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by naptu2: 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2018
Another tip.

You could also join one of the big sports clubs that train on the streets. Safety is important to them.

Road Warriors (if you are into running/jogging)
https://mobile.twitter.com/roadwarriorsng

Cycology (if you are into cycling).
https://mobile.twitter.com/CycologyClub
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by PotatoSalad(m): 5:05pm On Aug 26, 2018
Phagyrhe:

grin grin grin
Don't break my bones with laugh abegi
Yes na. How can a grown ass man see a lady jogging in the morning and be doing ssss ssssss sssssss
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by PotatoSalad(m): 5:16pm On Aug 26, 2018
TMemos:

Good one. Please suggest a reliable one.
Samsung gear S3 frontier and LG urbane. Pricy though
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Vibesclan: 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2018
What are reflective clothes. ??
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2018
PotatoSalad:

Yes na. How can a grown ass man see a lady jogging in the morning and be doing ssss ssssss sssssss

You are right. It's a common but very bad habit by some men.

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by Myself2(m): 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2018
Another critical safety tip for joggers is this ;

MAKE SURE YOU AVOID ROUTES WHERE MEMBERS OF SARS ARE LIKELY TO BE FOUND
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by TMemos: 6:44pm On Aug 26, 2018
PotatoSalad:

Samsung gear S3 frontier and LG urbane. Pricy though

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by HomeOfMe(f): 7:03pm On Aug 26, 2018
Olalan:
In this part of the world na person wey chop belle full dey jog..........
BTW quite an educating info for joggers
Some people exercise on doctor's instructions due to life- threatening health issues,not like it's fun for them.
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by naptu2: 7:54pm On Aug 26, 2018
Vibesclan:
What are reflective clothes. ??

naptu2:

1) Reflective vest: It's neon green, so it's highly visible and it also reflects light (just like your caution sign).

2) Some people also wear vests that have flashing LED lights and I've even seen someone on the bridge wearing a headband that had flashing red LED lights on it.

3) Vest with LED lights.

Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by naptu2: 3:51am On Aug 27, 2018
WhoBeThisMan:
no bro it dosnt

It was one incident in 2016, but it spooked a lot of people. 3 joggers and their trainer were kidnapped in Isheri. They were later released.
https://www.nairaland.com/3355041/four-kidnapped-isheri-north-g.r.a

Similar incidents have occurred around the world.

Two former classmates were kidnapped while jogging in separate incidents in California. The first girl was kidnapped in 1998, while the second was kidnapped in 2017.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2346517/sherri-papini-kidnapping-similar-abduction-ex-classmate/

Massachusetts jogger explains how she escaped from a terrifying kidnapping attempt.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/massachusetts-jogger-details-escaped-terrifying-abduction-attempt/story?id=56021660

Jogger attacked in Manchester
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35800895
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by WhoBeThisMan: 6:43am On Aug 27, 2018
naptu2:

It was one incident in 2016, but it spooked a lot of people. 3 joggers and their trainer were kidnapped in Isheri. They were later released.
https://www.nairaland.com/3355041/four-kidnapped-isheri-north-g.r.a

Similar incidents have occurred around the world.

Two former classmates were kidnapped while jogging in separate incidents in California. The first girl was kidnapped in 1998, while the second was kidnapped in 2017.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2346517/sherri-papini-kidnapping-similar-abduction-ex-classmate/

Massachusetts jogger explains how she escaped from a terrifying kidnapping attempt.
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/massachusetts-jogger-details-escaped-terrifying-abduction-attempt/story?id=56021660

Jogger attacked in Manchester
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-35800895
these are all isolated incidence, not a normal thing. And I can assure you it he past 10 years it has not happened more that 10 times.

But can we say the same about Nigeria? Where kidnapping is almost a daily occourance?

My brother try and travel and see. If you can't go "abroad", travel to Ghana, you will see that the life you live in Nigeria is almost like a zoo
Re: Safety Tips For Outdoor Jogging By Commander RRS by naptu2: 6:55am On Aug 27, 2018
Sigh. Sentiments, rather than facts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria High Commission In London To Mail Passports To Applicants / 6 People Burnt To Death In Kano Accident Involving Motorcycle & Vehicle (Graphic / Lagos Red Line Rail: Sanwo-Olu To Commission Oyingbo Flyover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.