Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,003 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

The Law Was Abolished - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Law Was Abolished (2627 Views)

The Era Of The Law Was Also Era Of Grace: "But Noah Found Grace In God's Eyes" / Martha Chioma Ibezim: Cultural Practices Against Women Should Be Abolished / Share Your Village Age Long Tradition That Was Abolished By Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 29, 2018
jnrbayano:

Romans 3:20 - Therefore by the deeds of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the Law [is] the knowledge of sin.

Romans 7:7 - What shall we say then? [Is] the Law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the Law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the Law had said, "You shall not covet."

Romans 3:31 - Do we then make void the Law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Romans 7:12 - Therefore the Law [is] holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Romans 7:14 - For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Romans 7:22 - For I delight in the Law of Yahweh according to the inward man.

1Joh 3:4 (KJV) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the Law: for sin is the transgression of the Law.

Read Romans 7:7-25

I believe St Paul and John not you
take time and reread this post,
do you not read that the law does not justify or save anyman? what are you saying? if the law cannot justify me then why expecting to be justified by it before God?

you can obey the law and not obey God. think about this
Re: The Law Was Abolished by malvisguy212: 10:09pm On Aug 29, 2018
enilove:

These your post just confirms that the laws are not abolished but upgraded :

Matthew 5:20-22 KJV
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[21] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
[22] But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

AND B4 THESE VERSES JESUS SAID HIS PRESENCE WAS NOT TO ABOLISH THE LAWS BUT TO FULFILL THEM. HE ALSO CAUTIONED US NOT TO TEACH OTHER WISE.

Matthew 5:17-19 KJV

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. [19] Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them , the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
listen, salvation is of the Lord, we are saved by what Jesus did on the Cross, and not by the work of the law.

the purpose of the law is to show us our weakness and how we are unable to fulfilled the requirements of the law. Jesus came to fulfilled what we are unable to fulfilled. thank you.
Re: The Law Was Abolished by enilove(m): 12:23am On Aug 30, 2018
malvisguy212:
listen, salvation is of the Lord, we are saved by what Jesus did on the Cross, and not by the work of the law.

the purpose of the law is to show us our weakness and how we are unable to fulfilled the requirements of the law. Jesus came to fulfilled what we are unable to fulfilled. thank you.

So a Christian can steal or commit murder.

Why did Jesus said this in :

Revelation 22:10-15 KJV
And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
[11] He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
[12] And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
[13] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
[14] Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
[15] For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Abolished by openmine(m): 7:34am On Aug 30, 2018
enilove:

And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
[11] He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
[12] And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
[14] Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
[15] For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Good morning
based on the quotations from revelations,esp in verse 14
May I ask.....during which "covenant" was this quotation made?
The old covenant or the new covenant?

Romans 13:8-12

8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
Re: The Law Was Abolished by jnrbayano(m): 9:29am On Aug 30, 2018
enilove:

Save your strength. Most of them want no laws and can say anything to support lawlessness.

St Paul said, do we do away with the law? No, we establish/uphold it.

St Paul who has been justified by Jesus Christ said, "how do I know that covetousness is sin if there's no *do not covet* words of the law?"

The law continues to serve its purpose and that purpose is for us to know when we sin. Simple as ABC

The law can justify man if and only if we are capable of keeping them all but we just can't.

God in his infinite love and mercy, sent us Jesus who brings to us justification free of charge albeit our response very necessary too

Brother, ignore these guys

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Abolished by openmine(m): 11:28am On Aug 30, 2018
jnrbayano:

Save your strength. Most of them want no laws and can say anything to support lawlessness.

St Paul said, do we do away with the law? No, we establish/uphold it.

St Paul who has been justified by Jesus Christ said, "how do I know that covetousness is sin if there's no *do not covet* words of the law?"

The law continues to serve its purpose and that purpose is for us to know when we sin. Simple as ABC

The law can justify man if and only if we are capable of keeping them all but we just can't.

God in his infinite love and mercy, sent us Jesus who brings to us justification free of charge albeit our response very necessary too

Brother, ignore these guys

Hebrews 7:11-12
Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron? For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

Hebrews 7:18-19
For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its WEAKNESS AND USELESSNESS (for the LAW made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Romans 10:4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believe.

Galatians 2:16
Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law , but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law : for by the
works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:21
I do not frustrate the grace of God : for if righteousness come by the LAW, then Christ is DEAD IN VAIN.

Galatians 3:10-11
For all who rely on works of the law are under a CURSE; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law , and do them.” Now it is evident that NO ONE is justified before God by the LAW , for “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Galatians 3:19-22
Why then the law ? It was added because of transgressions, until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made, and it was put in place through angels by an intermediary. Now an intermediary implies more than one, but God is one.
Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

Galatians 3:23-25
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law , imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed . So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian(LAW)

Ephesians 2:11-15
Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands— remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

1 timothy 1:8-11
Now we know that the law is good , if one uses it lawfully , understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the righteous but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.
If however you choose to be part of the laws of moses and by extention be under the old covenant,you must abide by and observe all the 614 laws of moses...be reminded that if you stumble one just one law,you are guilty of all the laws

James 2:10-11
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

No one doubts the relevance of the law esp when you are still yet an unbeliever but using the same law that you have being saved from justification (or make you right) is a very deep error from you!

Why would God who said the law is imperfect,weak,useless,doesn't draw his people close to him and sent Jesus to save us from such law now turn around to say the same law should be used as a standard or base to still keep us in check?

Just as I told ur colleague of like mind,you should study the entire Galatians to get a holistic view about the purpose of the law and the part where it gave way to a better way of living which is through Christ....

Am not a "know it all"(am actually here to learn) but saying the law is still in place or relevant to believers and yet you only practice some laws that are convenient to you is what we all call "cherry picking"!

Even the verses you quoted,you did so because it favoured your line of argument...however,you neglected the other scriptures that boldly states the annulment of the law of moses!
Its like claiming you still operate on the law of moses but when it comes to sin offerings and heave offerings or burning of incense,you claim the new covenant gospel.....
Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2018
Galatians 3:12
And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Galatians 3:19
Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

the law is for those who don't know christ.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

if you think you are justified because you did this or that according to the law, you have fallen from grace. This is so common today, as many preachers preaches men to do the law in order for them to be holy. this is heresy and one sure way to hell.

Paul had the holiness and righteousness of the law as a pharisee, there is no human made holiness and righteousness higher than the phariseees.
Philippians 3:6
Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 30, 2018
the righteousness of the law is filthy rag
Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 30, 2018
some might say if Christians do not live by the law how then do Christians live?
Answer: we live by faith in the Son of God,

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

we simply walk in his spirit in us.

Romans 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

when a man is walking after the law he has fell from grace.

we live in the life he has given to us.

Galatians 3:12
And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Re: The Law Was Abolished by jnrbayano(m): 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2018
Without the law;

We will not have any need for Jesus
We will not understand the need for Jesus
We will never understand the love of God
We will never understand the mercy of God
We will not understand the forgiveness of God
We will not understand man's reconciliation with God
We will never understand the sacrifices of Jesus
We will not understand the power of the Resurrection and Ascension
Etc

St Paul doesn't want Christians to be lawless despite championing the gospel of grace. He said, uphold/establish the law, that it tells us when we sin.

He never said, live under the law because the law does two things for the people who live under it.

Revelation of sin and condemnation.

As people under grace, there's no condemnation whatsoever, however, the law retained its job of revealing sin. "I will not know that covetousness is sin if its not written, thou shall not covet"

When the Law reveals when a child of God sin, it at the same time points him/her to Jesus who is mercy, love and the bringer of grace and truth. That's the job of the Law.

No wonder Peter warned about Pauline epistles that they are hard to understand, his level of wisdom is something else. Unstable minds distort and twist St Paul's teachings to their destruction.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

"All scripture (the Law inclusive) is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works"
Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 30, 2018
jnrbayano:
Without the law;

Etc
yes without the law salvation would be impossible.
the function of the law is to reveal the sins of men so that they can come to Jesus to be saved.

St Paul doesn't want Christians to be lawless despite championing the gospel of grace. He said, uphold/establish the law, that it tells us when we sin.
the gospel of grace is the only gospel. Some people accused Paul
of supporting sin with his gospel but however he said that with the gospel of grace the law is upheld.

He never said, live under the law because the law does two things for the people who live under it.

when you depend on obedience to the law for your salvation, you are under the law.

people under grace, there's no condemnation whatsoever, however, the law retained its job of revealing sin. "I will not know that covetousness is sin if its not written, thou shall not covet"
now that you know what sin is what next?

Galatians 3:24-25 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

when the law has finished his job then, we no longer under it. (under its rule, guide or control)

When the Law reveals when a child of God sin, it at the same time points him/her to Jesus who is mercy, love and the bringer of grace and truth. That's the job of the Law.
if the law still act as guide it therefore mean that one is under the law. you are confusing an unsaved man need the law for their salvation.

No wonder Peter warned about Pauline epistles that they are hard to understand, his level of wisdom is something else. Unstable minds distort and twist St Paul's teachings to their destruction.

"All scripture (the Law inclusive) is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

why do you not practice the law in its entirety? do you eat pig, use divers kind of clothes,etc why do you ignore those laws are they not part of God's instructions? if you practice some part of the law and ignore the rest you have not kept the law?

Paul said to timothy

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

it is not enough to just quote scripture one must understand it with respect to the, dispensation, event ,people etc so he can discern.

By the way God's laws are good,
example of dividing the word rightly is to teach exactly what the law is and not go beyond what is written.

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Abolished by openmine(m): 10:19am On Aug 31, 2018
jnrbayano:
Without the law;

Etc

As people under grace, there's no condemnation whatsoever, however, the law retained its job of revealing sin. "I will not know that covetousness is sin if its not written, thou shall not covet"

Unfortunately,the same law you advocate not only reveals our sin but also increased sin in man!
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.(1 Corinthians 15:56)

Like i have said for the umpteenth time,The law had and has its relevance being that it shows or exposes sinners or unbelievers their transgressions...However,the law was NOT sufficient enough to make a sinner perfect or make him right before God!
Hence God sent brought Jesus into the picture....and offered mankind HOPE instead of CONDEMNATION...LOVE instead of the LAW!
That's why LOVE became a fulfillment of the law....
in other words,LOVE became a COMPLETION OR ACCOMPLISHMENT OF THE LAW(Romans 13:8-10)

jnrbayano:

Ofcourse....
Paul said the law should be upheld and at the same time the law must not be adhered to because it is imperfect,weak and useless
(Hebrews 7:18-19)

To comprehend what Peter found hard to understand about paul,please study the scriptures below...

1 Corinthians 9:19-23
For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might WIN MORE OF THEM. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews.

To those under the law I became as one under the law (though NOT BEING MYSELF UNDER THE LAW) that I might win those under the law.

To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.
To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the SAKE OF THE GOSPEL, that I may share with them in its blessings.

jnrbayano:

prudence is required when you consider the dispensation of this scripture....
First you must establish the covenant and dispensation that this verse was sighting...
If you are making a inclusion of the law,then i can as well list out ALL the LAWS OF MOSES esp burning of incense,sacrifices of goats and sheeps,etc
..and i am very sure you don't make sacrifices of goats and sheeps....
So why include a law that you are not observing?
James 2:10-11
For whoever keeps the WHOLE LAW but FAILS in one point has become GUILTY of ALL of IT. For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

Be reminded that there are 614 laws of moses.....!
I wish you the very best as you partake in the burning of incense in a temple! smiley

N.B
Do you know that if the fullness of law had still been in place,you would never have been worthy to be called a son of God!

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Abolished by christemmbassey(m): 10:28am On Sep 01, 2018
PrecisionFx:

So why is oyedepo n adeboye still collecting tithe? ?
grin grin ask me
Re: The Law Was Abolished by christemmbassey(m): 4:46pm On Sep 01, 2018
Tell me this one thing: did you receive God's Spirit by doing what the Law requires or by hearing the gospel and believing it? How can you be so foolish! You began by God's Spirit; do you now want to finish by your own power?
Galatians 3:2‭-‬3 GNB
http://bible.com/296/gal.3.2-3.GNB

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Law Was Abolished by christemmbassey(m): 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2018
Those who depend on obeying the Law live under a curse. For the scripture says, “Whoever does not always obey everything that is written in the book of the Law is under God's curse!” Now, it is clear that no one is put right with God by means of the Law, because the scripture says, “Only the person who is put right with God through faith shall live.”
Galatians 3:10‭-‬11 GNB
http://bible.com/296/gal.3.10-11.GNB

1 Like

Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2018
the law was made for the unrighteous
Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 17, 2018
Christ is the end of the Law for those that believe
Re: The Law Was Abolished by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 17, 2018
chuwudubem594:
Can a christian fall into sin or not?
Christians may sin but it does not take away their righteousness

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evangelist Eucharia Anunobi fights Pastor Inside Church Oversermon Topic / OVERVIEW: Where Was God Before Genesis Chapter 1?' / 7 Most Influential Nigerian Pastors Wit Unique Trademarks(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.