Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,842 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths (28122 Views)

1st Class in Maths: Maniru Ibrahim Gets N9.2bn Scholarship For PhD In Ireland / 12-Year-Old Chika Ofili Awarded In UK For His New Discovery In Maths / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by katekemi664: 9:14am On Aug 29, 2018
Every parent wants to do what's best for their child.
I'm a mother of 2 and I want to share my experience with other parents of how I helped my child from bad grades to very impressive results.

Teni was really falling behind in maths and bringing home bad grades.
His teacher had communicated his struggles with me.
He was in Pry 2 at the time and had confided in me that all the kids in his class always got concepts taught except him which made him feel he wasn't smart enough.

His first term result in maths was an E followed by a D for second term.I was sincerely worried and knew I had to do something fast.

I had always known that "most good students aren't born good learners". So I had this feeling that if my child can have the basic aptitude, then with the right motivation, he can become a good learner.

My first strategy was to devote more time to his homework. When he comes back home, I allow him teach me what lessons he learnt in school for that day. With this, he experiences less control and develops confidence. He sometimes makes mistakes, but then I was always quick to correct.

I placed more emphasis on learning the basic principles, and to make it more interesting for him, I explain to him how math applies to real life. For example, I allow him figure out how many biscuits can be bought with 100 Naira, if each biscuit is sold for 50 Naira at the school kiosk.

I noticed he was gradually improving. I needed to device a new strategy since my leave was over and I had to resume work. I decided to search online for solutions and most of what I got was private tutoring.

I had once worked as a teacher in a private school so I thought to give it a try. Helping him out with his homework exposed a lot to me and made me understand why a lot of children struggle with some particular subjects.

From the lesson with him I found out that

1. One on one tutoring enables children to ask questions about their challenges without fear of environmental pressure.

2. It enables students to learn at their own pace which might not be possible in a traditional classroom setting.

3. It encourages personalized learning.No two students are same.Some are auditory learners while some are visual learners.

My son is a visual learner so I was always able to get materials to show him which he saw and touched to aid his understanding.You can teach a child a concept without getting it but if he or she sees and touches what you're talking about ,it helps a great deal and they never forget.

4. Many times lessons taught in class are time sensitive and fast moving.There might be a particular line that is crucial to helping a child understand a topic which he didn't get in class.With one on one coaching you can take the lesson as slow as necessary.

5. Flexibility of teaching methods.
One on one teaching affords you the benefit of trying several methods of teaching as against the unavoidable one size fits all method used in classrooms.

A lot of teachers won't tell you this but if only your child does not understand a topic taught in class ,sorry they have to move on to the next subject because other kids who understand are waiting. Schemes have to be covered and all.

The student carries the challenge unattended to and when it's time for exams ,I bet you know what would be of the child's performance in that subject or topic and then it will be said that the child is dull.

Believe it or not, after applying these strategies, my son got a B in maths this third term and the teachers were really surprised at the change. Thanks to the internet. You too can do the same for your child today. Cheers!

286 Likes 65 Shares

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by bedspread: 9:28am On Aug 29, 2018
Great information... GOD BLESS YOU

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by writeprof(m): 2:20pm On Aug 29, 2018
Thanks for sharing. Personal coaching helps children to learn better if the parents are patient enough.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50am On Aug 30, 2018
This is highly commendable .

You are a Good Mom and also a Role Model to other Moms!

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by skinnyzsam(m): 7:50am On Aug 30, 2018
When I go make FTP��
Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Offpoint: 7:51am On Aug 30, 2018
Op nice write up, but only applicable to the"Aje butters" parents. To we the ajekpako kids, mama left home by 5am for the struggle, returned home by 9pm and during those hours she was gone, papa was drafting away his life with a Satchet Chelsea drygin in his mouth under a mango tree with his follow hopeless friends. Back in the classroom, teachers were doing their best to impact whatever ounce of knowledge left in their *Over troubled* and "whipped out" mind, you can sense the frustration and lack of motivation in their faces from a mile due to hazardousness of the "Dungeon" call classroom and continues non payment of their monthly "peanut" of a salary. so, the only option you have left in such a situation is... "put on your best behavior and your attention a 100%" else....

While we the kids lost interest in whatever we were taught once we left the school gate [That's if there was any gate in the first place] and guess who we gonna meet at home? our deadbeat father, it's lying in his own poo with a bottle of an emptied Chelsea Drygin beside him as a companion. he's drunk again -how was school and what did you learn today? is a forbidden questions........ lemme stop here I'm not a writer.
what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is... op, that's beautiful right up, but not applicable to some parents.

just read my write up myself, I no no sey I get small sense o, I bin tink I be idiot o... see as morning hunger gimme sensegrin may be if I chop I go become idiot back before 12 noongrin

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by koxi: 7:52am On Aug 30, 2018
Nice work!
Keep it up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Kimy97(f): 7:53am On Aug 30, 2018
Even me ..I need to improve in maths..Maths 122

2 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Knox123(m): 7:54am On Aug 30, 2018
Nice write up

1 Like

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Oyindidi(f): 7:54am On Aug 30, 2018
Nice one.. My son, my life!

2 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by AlphaStyles(m): 7:54am On Aug 30, 2018
Good for you but as for me i hate maths die like die i no even like am at all

2 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Eziokwugbaoto: 7:55am On Aug 30, 2018
Good one keep it up.

Those end time mothers will not see this thread ooo they will be rushing davido and bobrisky thread.

10 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by israelmao(m): 7:55am On Aug 30, 2018
I don't know why maths is a scary subject to some people.Knowing subject begins with interest.

5 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Nobody: 7:55am On Aug 30, 2018
Inspiring!

A lesson for parents...Active involvement in your children's education plays a vital parenting role. Don't leave them at the mercy of their school teachers.

6 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by iamJ(m): 7:55am On Aug 30, 2018
Even my son will be brilliant by default, even if he is taught by a dunce he will still blast

Some people naturally get things fast

6 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by LostMyZeal(m): 7:56am On Aug 30, 2018
Hmmm...some things are not as they seem tho
Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by goshen26: 7:57am On Aug 30, 2018
God bless the OP, and when its time to eat the fruit of your labour from these kids of yours feminine ailment will not cut u short.

Let me share the story of Pastor Bankie (Not Popular anyway)...why parents need not depend only on teachers for their children education growth.

He said "his son took the overall best student in his school, and another parent was complaining why her own child is not doing well. When it was time for his wife to address other parents as the mother to the overall best student she said " I was a banker before I got married, I tried to save some money b4 marriage then in resigned immediately I had my first child, I sit with them every evening to do their home work, I knew that they are investment, my husband is a pastor so he seldom stay at home, so that my child came out like this is not the effort of the teacher alone, but the effort of the teacher accompanied by my own"""

One thing I have noticed when I was teaching b4 I went to school was that; student you give open hand and free accessibility to you, the students that can walk up to you at anytime often do well than students that are not given the privilege to move closer to you.

In my school then we used to have a girl (Mafanta by name), a Gambian. When they were in primary 2 mafanta was tagged as troublesome girl, always fighting and quarrelling, but the class teacher "Miss Bisi" brought out the best in her by showing interest in her, when I took over her from basic 3 I commend her class 2 teacher for good job.

Mafanta became the best student in the school then. The only part of her life I don't always like to remember was that when they about to go to secondary school her mother came to the school to tell us that her father has sent message from Gambia that she would be married to immediately, the school mgt did everything to avert the decision but we failed.

My conclusion....

1. Parents should show interest in knowing how their ward is doing at school on daily basis...
2. Teachers should give every student free accessibility to them....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Buhari2019: 7:58am On Aug 30, 2018
Maths, my nightmare!

1 Like

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by kaydee(m): 7:58am On Aug 30, 2018
You're a great mom! I send props!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Angelawhite(m): 7:58am On Aug 30, 2018
I must attribute my success in mathematics so far to my parents- esp my dad.
Among all my siblings (5 siblings), it seemed I was the dumbest in mathematics. I'm naturally a slow learner and most of the classes were fast paced and it was difficult for me to cope.
My dad, who is a Lawyer, made it a point of duty to always be home by 5 pm to teach me and my siblings mathematics.

To cut the long story short, my grades improved, I wrote Jamb without prior knowledge of further maths, I got admitted to study Electrical engineering in one of the most prestigious universities in the. Country (UNN) and I'm currently running a Masters degree program (Telecommunication) in University of Ibadan grin

The need for parents to EDUCATE their children cannot be over emphasised. Children tend to be more confident when being taught by someone they are not afraid to share their fear with.
Mum was always there to help with the areas she knew. She was a teacher and I was once her student.
Sadly I only enjoyed her for 13 years

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by izzou(m): 8:03am On Aug 30, 2018
katekemi664:
Every parent wants to do what's best for their child.
I'm a mother of 2 and I want to share my experience with other parents of how I helped my child from bad grades to very impressive results.

He was in Pry 2 at the time and had confided in me that all the kids in his class always got concepts taught except him which made him feel he wasn't smart enough.

His first term result in maths was an E followed by a D for second term.I was sincerely worried and knew I had to do something fast.

I had always known that "most good students aren't born good learners". So I had this feeling that if my child can have the basic aptitude, then with the right motivation, he can become a good learner.

My first strategy was to devote more time to his homework. When he comes back home, I allow him teach me what lessons he learnt in school for that day. With this, he experiences less control and develops confidence. He sometimes makes mistakes, but then I was always quick to correct.

I placed more emphasis on learning the basic principles, and to make it more interesting for him, I explain to him how math applies to real life. For example, I allow him figure out how many biscuits can be bought with 100 Naira, if each biscuit is sold for 50 Naira at the school kiosk.

I noticed he was gradually improving. I needed to device a new strategy since my leave was over and I had to resume work. I decided to search online for solutions and most of what I got was private tutoring.

I had once worked as a teacher in a private school so I thought to give it a try. Helping him out with his homework exposed a lot to me and made me understand why a lot of children struggle with some particular subjects.

1. One on one tutoring enables children to ask questions about their challenges without fear of environmental pressure.

2. It enables students to learn at their own pace which might not be possible in a traditional classroom setting.

3. It encourages personalized learning.No two students are same.Some are auditory learners while some are visual learners.

My son is a visual learner so I was always able to get materials to show him which he saw and touched to aid his understanding.You can teach a child a concept without getting it but if he or she sees and touches what you're talking about ,it helps a great deal and they never forget.

4. Many times lessons taught in class are time sensitive and fast moving.There might be a particular line that is crucial to helping a child understand a topic which he didn't get in class.With one on one coaching you can take the lesson as slow as necessary.

One on one teaching affords you the benefit of trying several methods of teaching as against the unavoidable one size fits all method used in classrooms.

A lot of teachers won't tell you this but if only your child does not understand a topic taught in class ,sorry they have to move on to the next subject because other kids who understand are waiting. Schemes have to be covered and all.

The student carries the challenge unattended to and when it's time for exams ,I bet you know what would be of the child's performance in that subject or topic and then it will be said that the child is dull.

Believe it or not, after applying these strategies, my son got a B in maths this third term and the teachers were really surprised at the change. Thanks to the internet. You too can do the same for your child today. Cheers!

I have never read something this educative on nairaland in a long time

Thank you very much

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Richiez(m): 8:05am On Aug 30, 2018
Good mum cool

1 Like

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Adedayo97(m): 8:07am On Aug 30, 2018
I love that ......Oluwa bless all our sweet moms they are the best

3 Likes

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by Nwaohafia1: 8:09am On Aug 30, 2018
Wow. Impressive. Keep it up

1 Like

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by NnamdiEducamia(m): 8:10am On Aug 30, 2018
israelmao:
I don't know why maths is a scary subject to some people.Knowing subject begins with interest.

Ok! Mathematician! Well done ooo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by qanda: 8:11am On Aug 30, 2018
Good
Re: What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths by GreatManBee: 8:13am On Aug 30, 2018
uote author=katekemi664 post=70710125]Every parent wants to do what's best for their child.

Believe it or not, after applying these strategies, my son got a B in maths this third term and the teachers were really surprised at the change. Thanks to the internet. You too can do the same for your child today. Cheers![/quote]

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Government Reacts To Viral Video Of School Assembly In Flooded Ground / Drama In Edo: Teacher Cant Read Her Document / Pre-degree A.b.u Zaria Remedial Programme. time for discussion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.