Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment (567 Views)

Online Doctor Appointment / Why Are Nigerians Not Interested In Keeping Fit? / Stop Squeezing Your Woman's Breasts: Medical Doctor Warns Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment by uzolexis(f): 12:56pm On Aug 29, 2018
So a colleague had an appointment with a gynaecologist at 2 pm and informed my boss about it by 11 am. He refused to let her go, his reason being that the notice was too short.
IMO she was only leaving for a few hours, not the whole day. Did she need to give him a notice several days before? What if her condition was life-threatening? Is it right for an employer to do that, I mean according to the law.
Please, I'd like to get your opinions and maybe experience on this issue.
Re: Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:09pm On Aug 29, 2018
the boss was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT....there is nothing wrong with having a doctor's appointment but the employee must give their boss sufficient time to find a replacement.

what this employee did was irresponsible! she knew she was having an appointment at the doc well in advance and thats exactly when she should have told her bosses.

if her condition was indeed life threatening then this is more a reason to let her boss know in advance, as i am sure she knew well ahead about that appointment. and even if she left for 5mins, i would have NEVER accepted it, and if she dares leaves her post without authorisation, this would be a reason to fire her.

let me guess? she tells me about the doc appointment at 11am, goes for lunch at 12 comes back at 1pm and leaves at 2pm for doc appointment, right?! lol!

1 Like

Re: Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment by decub: 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2018
uzolexis:
So a colleague had an appointment with a gynaecologist at 2 pm and informed my boss about it by 11 am. He refused to let her go, his reason being that the notice was too short.
IMO she was only leaving for a few hours, not the whole day. Did she need to give him a notice several days before? What if her condition was life-threatening? Is it right for an employer to do that, I mean according to the law.
The boss was right because the notice was too short.

That's more like taking your office hours and boss for granted!
Re: Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment by uzolexis(f): 4:14pm On Aug 29, 2018
MrBrownJay1:
the boss was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT....there is nothing wrong with having a doctor's appointment but the employee must give their boss sufficient time to find a replacement.

what this employee did was irresponsible! she knew she was having an appointment at the doc well in advance and thats exactly when she should have told her bosses.

if her condition was indeed life threatening then this is more a reason to let her boss know in advance, as i am sure she knew well ahead about that appointment. and even if she left for 5mins, i would have NEVER accepted it, and if she dares leaves her post without authorisation, this would be a reason to fire her.

let me guess? she tells me about the doc appointment at 11am, goes for lunch at 12 comes back at 1pm and leaves at 2pm for doc appointment, right?! lol!

This is not a job where you attend to customers so the replacement thing does not come into play here. It's a research position and she's just leaving for a few hours. actually lunch is 1pm and she planned to leave halfway through lunchtime to meet the 2pm appointmentbut i get where you are coming from.
Re: Can Your Employer Stop You From Keeping A Doctor's Appointment by Hassanelbash799: 8:46pm On Jan 18, 2020
uzolexis:

Hello, pls I will like to know more about the AFEPA program. Someone recommended that u wud have some valuable info for me.
My WhatsApp contact is 08179464648.
Thanks and God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Know These Reasons Why You Are Sweating At Night / Dermatologists(dr), What Condition Is This And What's The Treatment? / Pls Is Epilepsy A Cureable Desease ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.