Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,417 members, 7,826,605 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? (1855 Views)

Obdstar X300 DP Plus Table Adds A Spare Key On Dacia 2018 Transponder Chip 4A / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? / Thinking Of Building A DIY Supercar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 6:04pm On Aug 30, 2018
I bought my car Naija used with only 1 key. Knowing it will be immobilized if i lost my single key, i have desired to make a complete spare.

I have a spare cut blade but not the transponder. I recently made an order for a matching transponder chip and a key shell, do i have to pay for cutting and as well as for adding the new key?

I expected there was a way just as the remote fob can be added.
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by thebigkendo(m): 6:22pm On Aug 30, 2018
adanny01:
I bought my car Naija used with only 1 key. Knowing it will be immobilized if i lost my single key, i have desired to make a complete spare.

I have a spare cut blade but not the transponder. I recently made an order for a matching transponder chip and a key shell, do i have to pay for cutting and as well as for adding the new key?

You have to pay for cutting & adding of new key chip.
But you can program the Remote operation like lock/unlocking doors without any special tool or device

I am assuming it your 7th Gen honda accord

An alternative but not secure option is..
Remove the immobilizer chip from your present key & stick it permanently with adhesive somewhere around the ignition.. Your old key + spare blade+new cut key will start the car... Too much sense will not kee me grin grin grin

Team Honda.. Thieves dem no dey too rush us grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 6:34am On Aug 31, 2018
thebigkendo:

But you can program the Remote operation like lock/unlocking doors without any special tool or device

Remove the immobilizer chip from your present key & stick it permanently with adhesive somewhere around the ignition.. Your old key + spare blade+new cut key will start the car... Too much sense will not kee me grin grin grin

That means i have to do it cause i would like to delete any other that is there but not in my possession.
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:07am On Aug 31, 2018
thebigkendo:

honda theft is a regional statistic sir. Adany01 is in the north, in the north them de rush them pass toyota wink

In lagos armed robbers went to my clients house last year, they took his 2001 lexus rx300 and left his 2014 accord undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by OPUSDEI1(m): 8:38am On Aug 31, 2018
adanny01:

Yes, you have to pay.

There are some cars that their keys and or remote can be added manually.

What car are you referring to?
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by thebigkendo(m): 9:13am On Aug 31, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

honda theft is a regional statistic sir. Adany01 is in the north, in the north them de rush them pass toyota wink

In lagos armed robbers went to my clients house last year, they took his 2001 lexus rx300 and left his 2014 accord undecided

Foolish robbers grin grin grin grin grin grin
Na the wan weh dem fit sell sharp sharp sha..

Might(because I have my doubts but no Stats to back it up grin) be true thieves dey rush Honda up north more but for corolla enh!!!
I was in Kaduna & jos twice this year & late last year... Info gathered from gisting with my guys.. Thieves dem still dey rush corolla for that way oh..

I noticed our Malo friends are now in love with the Pontiac vibe. Car was everywhere mehn!!!

1 Like

Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by mexxy1(m): 9:52am On Aug 31, 2018
@OP, I'm interested in this. I have a key I bought almost 3 years ago from Amazon but, I'm yet to cut it as I don't know if it has a chip or not as it looks just like the single key that came with my vehicle (valet key).
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by Piyke: 11:14am On Aug 31, 2018
adanny01:

That means i have to do it cause i would like to delete any other that is there but not in my possession.

Won't really recommend this. How much does it cost to do the reprogramme the chip?
I've changed my master key (the metal part broke off) I cut the new one but transplanted the chip. Best of luck
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2018
Piyke:

Won't really recommend this. How much does it cost to do the reprogramme the chip?
I've changed my master key (the metal part broke off) I cut the new one but transplanted the chip. Best of luck

Yes, i have done that before but my mum just broke it after my ignition cylinder refused to unlock the steering.

I have fixed the key cylinder and I am currently using the old original one which is manageable but though it wise to get a spare entirely.

From my reading, its cheaper to add/duplicate a transponder than get back/program a new key without a working one.

In adding a new key, the existing one must be used to add another which without, its a longer and more expensive process. In adding a new key, the programer will see how many keys are programmed to the car and car delete the ones i dont have. Its like changing a password, you will need the old password to to start the process.

Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by MotoMedics: 2:12pm On Aug 31, 2018
Wherever you intend to do a key cut, you will see someone that will do the programming for you. Should be between 5 to 10k ldepending on you location.

The DIY style like you inquired about, is to follow thebigkendo way. Remove the the chip, gum it close to the key ignition fob embarassed undecided . Too crude, and be ready to lose your car angry

Or you get a key cloner like vvdi or other chinese knock off like TCode, sbb, or Xpad100 for the programming (Either of this options will set you back least of 200 dollars)

So brah, it is left to you. I think you should let the car locksmith chop small cool.
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 2:21pm On Aug 31, 2018
OPUSDEI1:

Yes, you have to pay.

There are some cars that their keys and or remote can be added manually.

What car are you referring to?

2003 Accord
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2018
thebigkendo:

Foolish robbers grin grin grin grin grin grin
Na the wan weh dem fit sell sharp sharp sha..

Might(because I have my doubts but no Stats to back it up grin) be true thieves dey rush Honda up north more but for corolla enh!!!
I was in Kaduna & jos twice this year & late last year... Info gathered from gisting with my guys.. Thieves dem still dey rush corolla for that way oh..

I noticed our Malo friends are now in love with the Pontiac vibe. Car was everywhere mehn!!!

Thieves used to rush Honda during the baby boy 98 accord days but not the EOD period.

Toyota Corolla na im be thieve magnet. I also wonder why Toyota delayed engine immibilizer till 2008.

Most stolen 2003 and above stolen Honda are withing 1st year of purchase and still in very clean condition. I usually attribute the theft to Armed robbery, spare key theft by crooked dealers and mechanics.

My boss's 06 Hilux was stolen 2 months ago, what an embarrassment. My mum has a 06 Pontiac Vibe, i know it can be stolen anytime. But i am a peace parking my EOD in most places and leaving it for hrs unchecked. Its not that it cannot be stolen but its unlikely.
Pontiac Vibe is like a copy of Matrix in a different paper. Hell the key has Toyota logo on it. The car says Pontiac in only 3 places, the front, back and steering.

2 Likes

Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 2:43pm On Aug 31, 2018
MotoMedics:
Wherever you intend to do a key cut, you will see someone that will do the programming for you. Should be between 5 to 10k ldepending on you location.

The DIY style like you inquired about, is to follow thebigkendo way. Remove the the chip, gum it close to the key ignition fob embarassed undecided . Too crude, and be ready to lose your car angry

Or you get a key cloner like vvdi or other chinese knock off like TCode, sbb, or Xpad100 for the programming (Either of this options will set you back least of 200 dollars)

So brah, it is left to you. I think you should let the car locksmith chop small cool.

grin he definitely go chop big on this. 10k on a 5min service na big chop o.
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by adanny01(m): 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2018
mexxy1:
@OP, I'm interested in this. I have a key I bought almost 3 years ago from Amazon but, I'm yet to cut it as I don't know if it has a chip or not as it looks just like the single key that came with my vehicle (valet key).

The shipping details always says if the chip os inside or not. If the key came with remote fob i would say the chip is inside.

Cutting the key is the easiest part, the remote fob is easy diy too, but that transponder is the reason for this thread.
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by mexxy1(m): 4:24pm On Aug 31, 2018
adanny01:

The shipping details always says if the chip os inside or not. If the key came with remote fob i would say the chip is inside.

Cutting the key is the easiest part, the remote fob is easy diy too, but that transponder is the reason for this thread.

Mine isn't the one with remote fob. But, I'll check the documentation again to confirm if it has the chip already.

My vehicle didn't come with the key with remote fob and I don't know the part number hence I ordered for same type it came with.

Thank you.
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by MotoMedics: 4:32pm On Aug 31, 2018
adanny01:

grin he definitely go chop big on this. 10k on a 5min service na big chop o.

Na the chinese made this easy o cheesy, Normal normal, a clone could cost you nothing less than 50k. And if you missplace your key, you could pay through your nose for it.

Thank Goodness for China

BTW 5k is not too much angry
Re: Is There A DIY Process To Duplicate A Transponder Key? by OPUSDEI1(m): 6:38am On Sep 01, 2018
adanny01:

2003 Accord

It can only be added with a programmer.

(1) (Reply)

2007 Corolla Sport (tokunbo) Or 2011 Corolla Sport (nigerian Used) / I Brought A Used Lexus Gs350 And Now It’s Issues / Nigeria Used Audi A4 2008 For Sale In Perfect Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.