Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,883 members, 7,817,601 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive (1878 Views)

This Is The Documentary that Goodluck and others do not want you to see / Sule Lamido: Buhari Is Politically Naive And APC Is A Fraud!! / The Reasons That Goodluck Jonathan Will Be Re-elected. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by MrFire: 1:25am On Jun 29, 2010
President GJ continues to demonstrate crass political inexperience.

1. He boasted that he never met the person he planned to appoint the INEC boss

2. He thanked the military for not taking over the government during the perilous time of Yar Adua's sickness.

3. He said his OWN party was afraid of Jega's appointment.

How far do you think this man can go with such crass naivety?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Adonike(m): 1:29am On Jun 29, 2010
What about other words he said that renders him non 'naivity'?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by MrFire: 1:31am On Jun 29, 2010
Adonike:

What about other words he said that renders him non 'naivity'?

There can never be enough political correctness. But there is more than enough political incorrectness.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by rhymz(m): 1:58am On Jun 29, 2010
Mr Fire:

President GJ continues to demonstrate crass political inexperience.

2. He thanked the military for not taking over the government during the perilous time of Yar Adua's sickness.

. . .You can't be more correct, GJ is tied to the apron spring of OBJ and he tries too hard to be politically correct even at the expense of his own ambition.
I am still surprise that after the Yaradua debacle that saw a host of officers in the force undermine his authority and almost Usurp his position as the A.P, the man thinks it is safe to still ve these group of men around him, i mean how naive can he get. He is trying to play to the gallery in the very wrong way. He is hoping to win the election and is banking on two things: Public goodwill and if that is not enough INEC manueouvring. But he is got it wröng cos he will never win the loyalty of those northern officers, their undeying allegiance lies with the northern oligarchy, I wish he knew. Recently, there was a meeting by some northern heads in the PDP IBB, Atiku, David Mark and those officers were, the said meeting was held in order to draft out plan to force Jo into accepting the zonal arrangement and step aside.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Beaf: 2:31am On Jun 29, 2010
I find this topic to be extremely funny and unwise. In order to call someone naive, there must be a comparison. Who would the OP say that "politically seasoned" datum is? IBB, Tinubu or Atiku? Who?
We have a way of making up extraodinary scenario's in Nigeria.

For 36 of Nigeria's 49 year existence, we have been ruled by the brute dictat of military regimes, so where would political seasoning have come from?
Our democracy is barly 11 years old and we are all learning, so lets stop slating people (except for corruption or backwardness).
It is even worse that the OP has not even seen fit to give reason why his list of Jonathans actions show him to be "politically naive". Instead, what we have is a declaration from the mountain top.

Mr Fire:

How does this "demonstrate crass political inexperience?" shocked

Mr Fire:

In what way does this "demonstrate crass political inexperience?" shocked

Mr Fire:

How does telling what from the outside, seems 100% like the truth and a major stumbling block to Nigeria's development "demonstrate crass political inexperience?" shocked

Mr Fire:

"Crass naivety" and he defeated a powerful cabal? shocked
Why don't you first of all prove that it is reasonable to claim that there are politically seasoned people in Nigeria whom you can use as a baseline to judge "political naivety"?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 2:50am On Jun 29, 2010
@Beaf

I knew which side you would be on this even before reading your reply - you are that obvious these days smiley

However, I think you are right on this point - GJ is certainly not naive. These statements show that he is dealing with some powerful interests in his own party. These powerful interests have silently pressured him to no avail, and have now revealed their faces to the public. Some of these statements show that he is ready to call them out. As for those who "misbehaved" in the Yar'adua saga he probably has a joker in store for them.

The statements I am having problems with are those asking for the impossible, such as asking the super eagles to go win the world cup - they actually need to stop this practice of meeting the president B/4 going to play. That should be reserved for those who win something - but again GJ is testing the waters and may be shifting to campaign mode already. The other statement is one that appears like hiding behind one finger by asking that Nigeria to be made part of the G-20. Not after the Yar'adua fiasco that took us close to the abyss should anyone be selling snake oil to the world in front of which we made such fools of ourself. It is not his political naivety that worries me, but whether he actually knows what it takes to correct what bedevils this nation.

Beaf:

I find this topic to be extremely funny and unwise. In order to call someone naive, there must be a comparison. Who would the OP say that "politically seasoned" is? IBB, Tinubu or Atiku? Who?

For 36 of Nigeria's 49 year existence, we have been ruled by the brute dictat of military regimes, so where would political seasoning have come from. We are all learning, so lets stop slating people; it is even worse that the OP has not even seen fit to give reason why his list of Jonathans actions show him to be "politically naive".

How does telling what from the outside, seems 100% like the truth and a major stumbling block to Nigeria's development "demonstrate crass political inexperience?" shocked

Why don't you first of all prove that it is reasonable to claim that there are politically seasoned people in Nigeria whom you can use as a baseline to judge "political naivety"?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Nobody: 3:09am On Jun 29, 2010

The statements I am having problems with are those asking for the impossible, such as asking the super eagles to go win the world cup - they actually need to stop this practice of meeting the president B/4 going to play.

Plz, tell me you're lying.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Beaf: 4:02am On Jun 29, 2010
naijamini:

@Beaf

I knew which side you would be on this even before reading your reply - you are that obvious these days smiley

Yes, I firmly believe he is the best choice we have now; with the Atiku's, Saraki's and IBB's all lined up. kai, I'm obvious! God de! grin

naijamini:

However, I think you are right on this point - GJ is certainly not naive
. . .
It is not his political naivety that worries me, but whether he actually knows what it takes to correct what bedevils this nation.

Yes, naivety is the wrong thing to look for.

To me, the word "naive" is out of place in a "democracy" that had its birth little over a decade ago. We should really be searching for attributes like sincerity. We can largely guage to what degree each of the likely 2011 contestants falls on either side of sincerity; a little to the left or a little to the right or very far left etc.

Sincerity, courage and dollops of elbow grease are the only things needed to right the country. Those are the sorts of things we should be on the lookout for. We should be asking, "has Jonathan got them or not?" As you pointed out, naivety is the last thing we should be worried about.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 4:09am On Jun 29, 2010
FL Gators:

Plz, tell me you're lying.

No kidding. They pay no attention to getting the team ready, but always manage to have a jamboree & issue a challenge to bring the cup on the way to the games. This one was actually tagged: "Super Eagles Celebration Night" - deep down they know what our preparation was worth, so they cashed in b/4hand

[url]http://www.afriquejet.com/news/africa-news/nigeria%27s-super-eagles-off-to-london-2010052249751.html[/url]
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5569113-147/jonathan_to_send_eagles_off_to.csp

Our problem remains mainly that of organization, and it seems to me that THE leader would easily see these weaknesses and begin doing things differently. I know GJ has such a short time for his performance to be adequately judged, but the elements should be there from the beginning and I am just not seeing it.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 29, 2010
naijamini:

No kidding. They pay no attention to getting the team ready, but always manage to have a jamboree & issue a challenge to bring the cup on the way to the games. This one was actually tagged: "Super Eagles Celebration Night" - deep down they know what our preparation was worth, so they cashed in b/4hand

[url]http://www.afriquejet.com/news/africa-news/nigeria%27s-super-eagles-off-to-london-2010052249751.html[/url]
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5569113-147/jonathan_to_send_eagles_off_to.csp

Our problem remains mainly that of organization, and it seems to me that THE leader would easily see these weaknesses and begin doing things differently. I know GJ has such a short time for his performance to be adequately judged, but the elements should be there from the beginning and I am just not seeing it.

LOL I get what you're saying. Still trying to rap my mind around what politics/our election period has to do with the world cup undecided 62 senators lasan lasan went to S.A
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by MrFire: 5:45am On Jun 29, 2010
Beaf:

I find this topic to be extremely funny and unwise. In order to call someone naive, there must be a comparison. Who would the OP say that "politically seasoned" datum is? IBB, Tinubu or Atiku? Who?

For 36 of Nigeria's 49 year existence, we have been ruled by the brute dictat of military regimes, so where would political seasoning have come from?
Our democracy is barly 11 years old and we are all learning, so lets stop slating people (except for corruption or backwardness).
It is even worse that the OP has not even seen fit to give reason why his list of Jonathans actions show him to be "politically naive". Instead, what we have is a declaration from the mountain top.

1. Publicly accepting never to have met Jega states clearly , he didn't make the choice. Somebody else made it. "As a leader you should Never let people know you are not in control"
2. It is okay to thank the military, but not in public. It de-values the belief in democracy and strengthens the wrong notion in the public eye. (That is : That we really can't do anything if the khaki boys return- even if this was true, his job is to make us believe that it isn't. )
3. This is self explanatory. Even the self righteous Yar Adua never washed PDPs linen in public except of course when he delivering a punishment( Baba Gana). A party leader must watch his words even if the party is the 'Largest group of corrupt, inept and misguided legalized touts in the world'."
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Beaf: 6:28am On Jun 29, 2010
Mr Fire:

1. Publicly accepting never to have met Jega states clearly , he didn't make the choice. Somebody else made it. "As a leader you should Never let people know you are not in control"
2. It is okay to thank the military, but not in public. It de-values the belief in democracy and strengthens the wrong notion in the public eye. (That is : That we really can't do anything if the khaki boys return- even if this was true, his job is to make us believe that it isn't. )
3. This is self explanatory. Even the self righteous Yar Adua never washed PDPs linen in public except of course when he delivering a punishment( Baba Gana). A party leader must watch his words even if the party is the 'Largest group of corrupt, inept and misguided legalized touts in the world'."

How about, meeting Jega would be seen as unduely influencing the appointment of the INEC chairman; especially at a time the nation is harping on the neutrality of the INEC chairman?

There is nothing wrong with commending the military for being professional. That is what Jonathan did, I challenge anyone to provide a quote that proves otherwise. It is easy to twist other peoples words.

PDP is recognised as a massive rigging machine by the Nigerian public. Jonathan on the other hand, has promised free and fair elections. Don't you think that wrestling the PDP monster to the ground is to the benefit of Nigeria? We must also realise that Jonathan is the President of Nigeria, not PDP.
It can only take strength and courage to wrestle with the entrenched negative interests that see the PDP rigging machine as their vehicle to corrupt largesse.

I weep if Yar Adua has now become a yardstick for good governance.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by banom(m): 8:50am On Jun 29, 2010
I will comment later after my breakfast.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Bariga1(f): 1:47pm On Jun 29, 2010
These are issues that should not be discussed in the first place. We need to be more constructive in what we write about.

The bone of contention for all reasonable Nigerians should be: can Jonathan better the plight of the average Nigerian? Can he tackle the problem of corruption which is crippling the society as a whole. Does he have plans to tackle the level of lawlessness pervading the country within the police, house of senate and all public sectors.

My spontaneous answer is No he does not have a clue about what to do. Jonathan is part of the problem and not the solution.

Is Nigeria getting better or worse? Show me one area in the economy that this man has being able to impact on? (if you have not come to Nigerian in the past one year please do not comment).

We need some young-blood with focus, a vision and ready to weep people back into shape. If things continue the way they are, Somalia will be a better place than Nigeria very soon.

I do not care whether Ibo, Yoruba or Hausa anyone who can bring about positive change we need urgently these lot are time wasters only there for what they can get.

Our elders have failed us BIGTIME!!!
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Spyker: 3:31pm On Jun 29, 2010
Poster, leave Goodluck Jonathan alone, how unpatriotic are you? Is he not a human being? Don't you think as a human he can make comments and also unmake them. Your post is bias and i am disappointed.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by MrFire: 1:47am On Jul 02, 2010
Beaf:

How about, meeting Jega would be seen as unduely influencing the appointment of the INEC chairman; especially at a time the nation is harping on the neutrality of the INEC chairman?

There is nothing wrong with commending the military for being professional. That is what Jonathan did, I challenge anyone to provide a quote that proves otherwise. It is easy to twist other peoples words.

PDP is recognised as a massive rigging machine by the Nigerian public. Jonathan on the other hand, has promised free and fair elections. Don't you think that wrestling the PDP monster to the ground is to the benefit of Nigeria? We must also realise that Jonathan is the President of Nigeria, not PDP.
It can only take strength and courage to wrestle with the entrenched negative interests that see the PDP rigging machine as their vehicle to corrupt largesse.

I weep if Yar Adua has now become a yardstick for good governance.

There is no way you can make an informed appointment without knowing the appointee to a reasonable extent. What if the appointee turns out to be incompetent? What if he stabs you at the back?

Last week, GJ came out publicly to declare that security agents were responsible for the way he was treated then and in an embarrassing display of lack of knowledge that he is the commander in Chief of the Nigerian Armed forces,he declared that he expected the military to look into the matter without giving any definite order.Just compare this with Obama's response to McChrystal,the Afghan war commanders's mouthing.

GJ is a democratic president, surrounds himself with Danjuma,Obasanjo,IBB,Abdulsalami,Guzo,Buhari etc.Over time his decisions have reflected these peoples' influence.Giving that at least two of these people have presidential ambition and they also have military background, GJ's ambivalence in their presence and a habit of revering the military unnecessarily must be one of the reasons making them believe they can out-muscle him.

As per thanking the military,I do not believe that the commander in Chief of the Nigerian armed forces should thank the military openly or even secretly for not taking over the government.At the end of the day,he only succeed in making the military see that somewhere remotely,Nigerians still believe they can play a role in governance.World over,the military is subject to civilian control in democracy and part of protecting democracy by the fortunate custodian is re emphasizing the chain of command and the contemporary world political order at every opportunity.

Most times ,we hide under the facade of love for peace but like Patrick Henry once asked Americans in the continental Assembly-is peace so sweet that it has to be bought with the prize of slavery?

We errenously see these retired military men as always lucking around to rock democracy boat.These people know their rights are protected more under democracy than the military.Post presidency,IBB was best behaved under Abacha's regime.

Johnathan last week approved 23 billion Naira for offsetting military pension.He personally went to unveil this approval to the military.Somebody worked all his life for his nation.What about celebrating his lawful entitlement.GJ has continuously exposed democracy to military onslaught and in the light of the current zoning imbroglio,I fear for democracy in Nigeria

He has left all the command posts that were responsible for his shabby treatment and even those pronounced culpable in the Jos mayhem intact , openly declaring that he was advised by people immediately he took over to sack the commands but he refused.

Let somebody tell him that Kabila was shot by his guard and Dadi Camara was also shot by his chief guard.In the later case at least there was a positive fallout as evidenced by the first free election in Guinea in 58 years.We are awaiting the final result and hopefully the beginning of government of the people by the people for the people.

His habit of patronizing the military will likely undo him.

Now did we just not read that GJ has appointed Alams to a govt position. How more politically naive can this get?

1 Like

Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by MrFire: 7:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 11:39pm On Jul 02, 2010
@Mr. Fire

While you are on to something, it is not political naivety that is GJ's problem. His problems are: 1) Inexperience; and 2) Showing that he is more of a politician down he shows. He is certainly interested in next years elections, and getting himself into campaign mode. For that purpose he needs a lot of the "devil" on the Nigerian political landscape on his side. In the process he might make too many compromises (one would be appointing Alam to any position, it that story was true). Also, I am led to believe that he will have a joker for those in the military who misbehaved, when is the question? - if he doesn't do this before he relinquishes power (that could be May next year or May 2015) then he will never be taking seriously as a leader.

In any case, we need to give the man time, even as we point out what could be done better. One year is not nearly enough to turn Nigeria around, but we need to see evidence of the possibilities from the beginning. Really I don't see any of the vultures on the landscape being better positioned to do anything for Nigeria until I hear and read their manifestos

Mr Fire:

There is no way you can make an informed appointment without knowing the appointee to a reasonable extent. What if the appointee turns out to be incompetent? What if he stabs you at the back?

Last week, GJ came out publicly to declare that security agents were responsible for the way he was treated then and in an embarrassing display of lack of knowledge that he is the commander in Chief of the Nigerian Armed forces,he declared that he expected the military to look into the matter without giving any definite order.Just compare this with Obama's response to McChrystal,the Afghan war commanders's mouthing.

GJ is a democratic president, surrounds himself with Danjuma,Obasanjo,IBB,Abdulsalami,Guzo,Buhari etc.Over time his decisions have reflected these peoples' influence.Giving that at least two of these people have presidential ambition and they also have military background, GJ's ambivalence in their presence and a habit of revering the military unnecessarily must be one of the reasons making them believe they can out-muscle him.

As per thanking the military,I do not believe that the commander in Chief of the Nigerian armed forces should thank the military openly or even secretly for not taking over the government.At the end of the day,he only succeed in making the military see that somewhere remotely,Nigerians still believe they can play a role in governance.World over,the military is subject to civilian control in democracy and part of protecting democracy by the fortunate custodian is re emphasizing the chain of command and the contemporary world political order at every opportunity.

Most times ,we hide under the facade of love for peace but like Patrick Henry once asked Americans in the continental Assembly-is peace so sweet that it has to be bought with the prize of slavery?

We errenously see these retired military men as always lucking around to rock democracy boat.These people know their rights are protected more under democracy than the military.Post presidency,IBB was best behaved under Abacha's regime.

Johnathan last week approved 23 billion Naira for offsetting military pension.He personally went to unveil this approval to the military.Somebody worked all his life for his nation.What about celebrating his lawful entitlement.GJ has continuously exposed democracy to military onslaught and in the light of the current zoning imbroglio,I fear for democracy in Nigeria

He has left all the command posts that were responsible for his shabby treatment and even those pronounced culpable in the Jos mayhem intact , openly declaring that he was advised by people immediately he took over to sack the commands but he refused.

Let somebody tell him that Kabila was shot by his guard and Dadi Camara was also shot by his chief guard.In the later case at least there was a positive fallout as evidenced by the first free election in Guinea in 58 years.We are awaiting the final result and hopefully the beginning of government of the people by the people for the people.

His habit of patronizing the military will likely undo him.

Now did we just not read that GJ has appointed Alams to a govt position. How more politically naive can this get?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Nobody: 1:59am On Jul 03, 2010
this foolish standoff between johnny and fifa is enough evidence
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Kobojunkie: 3:00am On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

In any case, we need to give the man time, even as we point out what could be done better. One year is not nearly enough to turn Nigeria around, but we need to see evidence of the possibilities from the beginning. Really I don't see any of the vultures on the landscape being better positioned to do anything for Nigeria until I hear and read their manifestos

How much more of our time are we willing to invest in this or any more of the same? He is inexperienced, sure. So why can't we send him off to go get experience at the grassroots level while we get someone better and ready in there next year? What is with the excuse that he is considering elections and so we ought to give him more time when to this point he has yet to show he is leadership material, let alone able and equipped to handle the position as we would like?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 5:02am On Jul 03, 2010
@Kobojunkie
I am having doubts about the ability of GJ as the leader Nigeria needs too. Still, given the set of political jobbers trying to replace him I won't tell him to hurry away. My statement about giving him time has nothing to do with the other one about him getting into election mode. The latter is simply pointing out that GJ is being more of a politician than the leader some people hoped.

I recall the thread by one of the praise-singers on here trying to declare GJ's presidency the best. As I recall you, and a lot of us here told him to keep his snake oil. However, I am willing to say that you cannot begin to make defendable arguments for or against GJ's presidency until he has had one year - that is probably where we differ most. Unfortunately, if he doesn't get elected in 2011 one year is it for him. So, what I was trying to point out is the reason why some of his actions may appear surprising - the way to wining an election in Nigeria is to play with all kinds of schemers, but there surely is or should be a better way.

As for finding someone better prepared than Jonathan, it is not obvious to me who that person would be among those parading themselves for the position. IBB? Atiku? Never, ever! May be Buhari or Pat Utomi or Donald Duke? Except for Donald Duke who was a governor like Jonathan they have no real experience either (I know Buhari headed a government stolen with the help of IBB and Abacha for several months, but that doesn't count). I am thinking that if Buhari bundles himself with one of the last two and Jonathan bundles himself with Rufai (I don't know about Sambo - he seems to be a good person that Jonathan is comfortable with, but who knows, they might perform some magic together  over the next few months), then we would probably have a good contest come 2011.

Kobojunkie:

How much more of our time are we willing to invest in this or any more of the same? He is inexperienced, sure. So why can't we send him off to go get experience at the grassroots level while we get someone better and ready in there next year? What is with the excuse that he is considering elections and so we ought to give him more time when to this point he has yet to show he is leadership material, let alone able and equipped to handle the position as we would like?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

Unfortunately, if he doesn't get elected in 2011 one year is it for him. So, what I was trying to point out is the reason why some of his actions may appear surprising - the way to wining an election in Nigeria is to play with all kinds of schemers, but there surely is or should be a better way.
I think we are making a mistake here when we say to give them this amount of time or that amount of time. We forget that in whatever amount of time we are willing to dole out to these politicians, we ought to expect returns even during the period, not at the end of or after.

He is yet another investment the Nigerian people are making, do we wait till after a year, when, say a trillion Naira has gone out of our coffers to decide if he good enough or not( bearing in mind we are by then a trillion naira in the hole). Or do we start looking at him from say a month to month basis to figure if he is really a good leader or playing us for election sake.

Sure, the way to winning elections in Nigeria has been about playing with schemers but isn't that what we want to see gone? This man is busy playing with schemers, essentially aligning himself still with the very same people who have helped in destroying the country(not that he is not part of the problem still), but somehow we are supposed to allow him continue in this way and it is ok? I would think that be enough reason for anyone to conclude he is nothing but more of the same which is what we are against. How much more time do we allow him after this revelation?

Three years ago, PDP was declared the evil party. Now some in the south get a southerner, even a PDP southerner and it is almost as if the PDP Party has gone from villains to angels overnight. Now we are sectioning the PDP party forgetting this is the same party we all loved to hate only some months ago.

naijamini:

I am thinking that if Buhari bundles himself with one of the last two and Jonathan bundles himself with Rufai (I don't know about Sambo - he seems to be a good person that Jonathan is comfortable with, but who knows, they might perform some magic together  over the next few months), then we would probably have a good contest come 2011.
Jonathan bundles himself with Rufai and that is good? I am speechless!

Personally, I would rather vote a nobody so we can start on a clean slate and if it turns out to be another dirty slate, we start over until we get it right rather than recycling mediocrity in desperation.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 6:37am On Jul 03, 2010
I understand where you are coming from, but in reality it is all relative. Even if I would vote for a nobody they have to show me a plan that is better than anybody currently has - aka no real plans. Otherwise, you would make matters worse by giving your vote to someone because he claims to be a nobody. In fact, Jonathan said something like that in Church after he became substantive president. You cannot have someone in today, and start making full and final judgement on them on a monthly basis. Yes, you can assess their performance on a monthly basis, and if they are inherently good leaders who need some experience and prodding they will make course correction that delights everyone.

Yes, we need to change our leaders until we get it right, but if we do it blindly we will never get it right. I am not saying that Jonathan/Rufai is good enough, as I also suggested another option. If you there are other combinations you would like to see, let's put them up too. I am interested in a real contest in 2011, rather than just between dumb and dumber. Right now the people I mentioned are those who have expressed any serious interest in the presidency.

Kobojunkie:

Personally, I would rather vote a nobody so we can start on a clean slate and if it turns out to be another dirty slate, we start over until we get it right rather than recycling mediocrity in desperation.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by chidichris(m): 6:56am On Jul 03, 2010
one or two steps in every administration is good enough for me to pass my judgement on that administration.
on certain sritical issues in nigeria that have been discussed here on nairaland, i have been able to take a side and to God be the glory they all come to pass.
for this jonathan, i have said it and i will contin ue saying it, nigerians have to wait as he is not that messiah we have been waiting for.
how can men who ran away from justice be his first periority bringing them back and giving thnem a heroic welcome talking about ribadu and el rufai?
he did declare emergency on the power sector and how has this emergency fared all these while? in my side, things are improving for the worst and the emergency declared on nff become effective immediately.
alams who was confirmed a criminal now recieves a national appology and a heroic welcome back to pdp.
in which aspect of our polity has this man followed the steps of yar adua who was supposed to be his boss. what happened to the uwais report?
if these committees are not going to be relevant, why spending our public funds setting them up.
i really do not know the personality of jonathan but all i know is that he is not in charge.
that one that wanted third term is too desperate to get it and even seek and get fourth term through these light weights that he is imposing on us.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2010
chidichris:

one or two steps in every administration is good enough for me to pass my judgement on that administration.
on certain sritical issues in nigeria that have been discussed here on nairaland, i have been able to take a side and to God be the glory they all come to pass.
Certainly you are not trying to claim that you are right all the time. Are you?

how can men who ran away from justice be his first periority bringing them back and giving thnem a heroic welcome talking about ribadu and el rufai?
You are mixing issues. The charges against Ribadu and Rufai were dug up after both men had left Nigeria's shores because Yar'adua started persecuting OBJ's allies, as if it wasn't the same OBJ who ensured his emergence. Besides, I don't know how anybody compares protecting Ibori to correcting the injustice to Ribadu. Rufai is back home answering and fighting EFCC charges. These are non-issues, and restoring that sense that you can get a fair hearing is actually one good that came out of GJ's emergence.

he did declare emergency on the power sector and how has this emergency fared all these while? in my side, things are improving for the worst and the emergency declared on nff become effective immediately.
By all means assess him, but don't start looking for miracles!

alams who was confirmed a criminal now recieves a national appology and a heroic welcome back to pdp.
I am aghast at this myself - and I think it shows, if true, that GJ is more of a politician, than a leader. Suggests we look for someone better in 2011, but where are you going to find someone in Nigeria that is not mixed with the political dirty-bags and can still become president.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by hercules07: 3:36pm On Jul 03, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan is incompetent full stop. What did he do when he was the Governor of Bayelsa State, Yenagoa is a small town, what infrastructure did he put on ground? As Kobojunkie said, Southerners are biased, we have been condemning the PDP all along, now that Jonathan is there we should give him time, what time are we giving him, is he meant to LEARN ON THE JOB? I find it annoying that people peddle all these give him time line, he is meant to hit the ground running, he is meant to have his own ideas on how to move the nation forward, if he does not have the "aya" to confront the military, what of issues like FOI bill (he can make the house pass that bill if he has the will power), what of rail system, what of infrastructure, abeg the man is one of them jare and he is interested in coming back next year and that is what he is working towards. India with its cut throat politics was able to put up a sound educational system can he not work on education ( at least give us your blueprint). He banned the national teams from international football fine I have no problems with that (no more estacodes for some people) but what is his plan on moving sports forward, what model is he going to use, how do we get proper academies, will there be scholarships for talented athletes, is he going to site a proper coaching school in Nigeria, will there be more outdoor places for kids to practise, will he insist that coaches get International certifications, do we attach some of our coaches to the English, Spanish and Italian teams, what is our philosophy on sports? No, his plan is to build a befitting house for the NFF, kai, the guy is a proper malu.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by MrFire: 3:41pm On Jul 03, 2010
hercules07:

Goodluck Jonathan is incompetent full stop. What did he do when he was the Governor of Bayelsa State, Yenagoa is a small town, what infrastructure did he put on ground? As Kobojunkie said, Southerners are biased, we have been condemning the PDP all along, now that Jonathan is there we should give him time, what time are we giving him, is he meant to LEARN ON THE JOB?

I am a southerner and I feel this way (topic) about Jonathan. So how do you refer tome as biased?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Kobojunkie: 4:22pm On Jul 03, 2010
naijamini:

I understand where you are coming from, but in reality it is all relative. Even if I would vote for a nobody they have to show me a plan that is better than anybody currently has - aka no real plans. Otherwise, you would make matters worse by giving your vote to someone because he claims to be a nobody. In fact, Jonathan said something like that in Church after he became substantive president. You cannot have someone in today, and start making full and final judgement on them on a monthly basis. Yes, you can assess their performance on a monthly basis, and if they are inherently good leaders who need some experience and prodding they will make course correction that delights everyone.
Actually I didn't mean a Nobody with no plans, I meant a Nobody with a plan only maybe inexperienced. Same place I would likely put this Jonathan after sitting almost 4 years in Aso Rock.
So, you are telling me that after almost 4 years in Aso Rock, almost 4 years joining in with Yar adua on most everything he did(Note: The VP works hand in hand with the president, unless you subscribe to that unreasonable school of thought that a VP is a mindless drone in the house, which by the way will defeat your idea for  a Jonathan/Rufai ticket next year), I should threat this man as if he were new to the game/job? I have a really hard time doing that, you know why? Because Jonathan came in on the same ticket as Yar adua, they were both from the same party and most essentially kept the same cabal.

naijamini:

Yes, we need to change our leaders until we get it right, but if we do it blindly we will never get it right. I am not saying that Jonathan/Rufai is good enough, as I also suggested another option. If you there are other combinations you would like to see, let's put them up too. I am interested in a real contest in 2011, rather than just between dumb and dumber. Right now the people I mentioned are those who have expressed any serious interest in the presidency.
Ok! what would a Jonathan/Rufai combination change? Jonathan, the man we agree is grossly inexperienced and likely just still the same old politician will still be at the helm of things, so what exactly will we get different from what we have now or have had in the past?

Changing leaders is not necessarily to be done in a blind manner. We have similarly qualified NO NAMES out there who have proven themselves in their fields and can handle the job better than the pack we have hired over the years. Those can be selected and we can continue with trial and error, only selecting good candidates until we get it. That, as far as I am concerned is better than anything we have gotten since the death of the Buhari/Idiaghon regime.

The reason the pool is limited is mainly because those who want to try are currently intimidated by the amount of attention we continue to give the very same people who have looted and pillaged our lands for decades. I would not want to waste my money on running if I sensed that the people do not seem interested in change but are all too willing to settle for another round of the same packaged in some random manner either.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Beaf: 4:37pm On Jul 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ok! what would a Jonathan/Rufai combination change? Jonathan, the man we agree is grossly inexperienced
. . .

Oh, wasn't he a lily livered and a coward to you Yar Adua / cabal yesmen yesterday? Today, he is "inexperienced". That statement sounds especially brain dead when you realise that our democracy is little more than 10 years old; so where have your "experienced" politicians been gaining their experience from, Pluto? You should cease from talking rubbish with confidence.

Any so called "experienced" politician would have to have gained their skills under our various corrupt military governments, especially that of the demon, IBB.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2010
hhmmm. . .  let me try see where this switch is on today . . .
Beaf:

Oh, wasn't he a lily livered and a coward to you Yar Adua / cabal yesmen yesterday? Today, he is "inexperienced".

Kobojunkie:
So, you are telling me that after almost 4 years in Aso Rock, almost 4 years joining in with Yar adua on most everything he did(Note: The VP works hand in hand with the president, unless you subscribe to that unreasonable school of thought that a VP is a mindless drone in the house, which by the way will defeat your idea for  a Jonathan/Rufai ticket next year), I should threat this man as if he were new to the game/job? I have a really hard time doing that, you know why? Because Jonathan came in on the same ticket as Yar adua, they were both from the same party and most essentially kept the same cabal.

Yes, it is possible to spend 4 years and still be INEXPERIENCED . . . please consult the dictionary for meaning instead of continuing to SHOOT yourself ridiculous with these nonsense rebuttals which you feel you need to prop up with insults, not realizing how much more that even hurts your credibility and intelligence as a person.
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by Kobojunkie: 4:49pm On Jul 03, 2010
@Naijamini, He has had 4 years ON THE JOB TRAINING still we produced an inexperienced man/politician like the others. . .  If that is so far not enough for you and I to expect results at this time, how much more time do you think is necessary for this to happen? What next? Do we also give people like Bankole, and others who were relative newbies back, say in 2007, more years to give us good results?
Re: Three Signs That Goodluck Jonathan Is Politically Naive by naijamini(m): 4:49pm On Jul 03, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ok! what would a Jonathan/Rufai combination change?
Probably not much, but again it is all relative. If these are the choices available, I am simply looking for the best combination of the lot.

The reason the pool is limited is mainly because those who want to try are currently intimidated by the amount of attention we continue to give the very same people who have looted and pillaged our lands for decades. I would not want to waste my money on running if I sensed that the people do not seem interested in change but are all too willing to settle for another round of the same packaged in some random manner either.
This is exactly the reason why Jonathan would have to play some politics - even if he is the leader we need. If some better candidate doesn't show up because of these reasons then we are left to choose from those who do come out - but we have to recognize that until there is a better way they will have to play some politics. It may be too late to start recruiting for 2011, but we need to find a way to get better candidates in the "game".

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efcc Summons Femi Egbetokun [ Of Ogun State] Over 90bn Scam / See Picture Of Shot Osama Bin Laden / Pdp National Legal Adviser’s Mother Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.