Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine (1064 Views)

Bida Poly Student Develops Electronic Voting Website / 895 Million Voters Use This Electronic Voting Machine In India(photos) / Jega Promises Improved 2015 Elections As Senator Rules Out Electronic Voting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by trueword: 5:25am On Jun 29, 2010
NigComSat develops electronic voting machine
By Everest Amaefule, Abuja
Tuesday, 29 Jun 2010

Ahead of the 2011 general elections, the Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited has developed an electronic system, that has the capacity to produce a biometric-based voter register before December.

The company showcased a prototype of the product when the Minister of Science and Technology, Prof. Mohammed Abubakar, inspected the facilities of the organisation in Abuja on Monday.

During the visit, Abubakar said that after the launch of Nigeria’s second earth observation satellite and the replacement of the Nigeria Communications Satellite (NigComSat-1), the focus would be to inaugurate satellites locally rather than asking foreigners to handle the assignment.

The minister said, “Based on what I have seen here today, I am highly impressed and confident to say that my ministry has developed a comprehensive solution, an electronic voting system that will ensure that every vote counts.

“I will bring this to the attention of Mr. President and the Independent National Electoral Commission for appropriate action. With what the young engineers here have developed, a biometric-based voter register can be produced before December.

“The same solution is applicable to National Identity Card, credit and debit cards, tax identity, National Health Insurance Scheme and vehicle registration database.

“This is exciting and encouraging, realising that we can now export technological solutions to other countries rather than being consumers in every facet of the economy.”

On satellites, the minister said after the acquisition of three satellites from Britain and China, the nation can no longer afford to launch another satellite made abroad.

He tasked NigComSat and the National Space Research and Development Agency to work on the launch of a satellite from Nigeria, adding that they have demonstrated the capacity for innovation in their activities.

While briefing the minister, Managing Director of the company, Mr. Ahmed Rufai, said NigComSat was ready to accept whatever challenge the Federal Government may give to it on the production of the EVS, in terms of number and deadline.

He also disclosed that work on the replacement of the Nigerian Communications Satellite that failed in orbit in November 2008 had an reached advanced stage.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006292403253
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by trueword: 5:28am On Jun 29, 2010
A biometric voter register could be good at making sure one person can't fake multiple cards. Jega and FG should really look at using this kind of system. If the one constructed by Nigcomsat is good then the FG should patronize a nigerian made product. I wonder how many of these machines would have to be deployed to get everyone. This could probably help with the whole national id scheme, if they ever get serious about it.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by Kobojunkie: 5:46am On Jun 29, 2010
Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited ?

Isn't that a government run company?
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by trueword: 6:23am On Jun 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited ?

Isn't that a government run company?

yes, i believe so. they are the ones in charge of all these sattelites nigeria is going to launch. people are against privatizing it because of national security issues.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by saintneo(m): 7:31am On Jun 29, 2010
NIGCOMSAT is not a focused establishment.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by deor03(m): 12:42pm On Jun 29, 2010
saintneo:

NIGCOMSAT is not a focused establishment.

Yeah, I think so.

The last time, they were interested in obtaining Network License and now they are manufacturing Voters Machine.

I think they should focus on the "falling" satellites.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^^^^ grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by LeMoor(m): 3:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
How many machines have been created? How many need to be created and what is the realistic time frame to gather the 'biometric' data into a functional database before the 2011 elections.

And shouldnt NigComSat be working on building the Nigerian Satellites and improving our communications infrastructure?
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Jun 29, 2010
Isn't this the same government run company that lost our first or was it second satellite, which they happen to have purchased from china? Now they are working on developing our voting machines as well?

I don't know about you all but I would rather that be contracted to some independent firm somewhere. Considering our history of poll rigging and what nots, an electronic voting machine created and run by the same government does not give me much hope either.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by LeMoor(m): 3:34pm On Jun 29, 2010
@Kobo, they are the one and only.
Personally, I think it is laudable such can be developed. But we always start from the finishline and build backwards, The same country that does not have a functional database of its citizens, what would be the point of reference when gathering new biometric data? Another national Id scheme in the works?
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by otokx(m): 3:38pm On Jun 29, 2010
We shall always be Nigerians.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Jun 29, 2010
Building an electronic polling machine is not SOPHISTICATED work, so yes, it is, I guess laudable that they have been able to accomplish that but I am more concerned about what this would mean for our future. To have a polling system built and CONTROLLED by the very same corrupt enterprise we have been trying to get a control of, just seems like a loss to me. I would rather the new INEC chief get to contacting international companies out there that already have working prototypes and are willing to not only build, install and maybe manage it for us somehow.  That is how much faith I have in the Nigerian government right now.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by LeMoor(m): 3:51pm On Jun 29, 2010
And i actually understand that kobo. i know they have hardly re-invented the wheel, but i like to give credit where it is due, and also considering I personally see potential in the development. I just dont see that potential in the Polling Booth. I see it in other facets of naija life. If the machines do work, maybe we wont have to waste money and give to foreign 'experts' on more white elephant projects in the name of National Id Card scheme.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Jun 29, 2010
There are reputable companies out there that actually get work done and go all out to make sure they get it right. Lagos State has been one of the few states that has been able to go for many of these companies. Then there are scam companies out there looking to take advantage of the gullible. Even after so many years of being hit, are these scam companies really to blame for our governments inability to verify and make sure they can get the job done and done right before handing them our money? NO

The National ID Card Scheme could have been easily taken care of the first time by one of the many small companies out here involved in such. It is really no big deal to get something like that up and running. Same applies to the Polling situation. It is just that we do not seem SERIOUS about it and that is why we continue to give it to international scammers over and over again. Companies like Oracle, GE etc already in Nigeria are quite able to handle and run these things for us but I don't think it is the case that they are incapable but that WE are not really serious to start with.

I remember having similar conversation on similar project almost 4 years ago. 4 years later, we are still discussing the same issue. I think it is time we outsource this so we can get past this same old problem come next election.
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by LeMoor(m): 4:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
i have to cosign what you have said,
Sad but true,
Re: Nigcomsat Develops Electronic Voting Machine by benchwest: 11:15pm On Jul 01, 2010
I really do thinck thus development will kind issue free and fair eletion.
even if they are govt run organisation,inec could make a deal with them just to provide them with this machines.
the botton line here that matters is inec. for us to achieve a reliable free and fair eletion we should pray
this present inec new boss and his men and women on board are gonna carry out duties responsibly,

in order hands about this new tecnology we need to give them a chance hence that cost encoragment.
is time we start inventing diferent tecnology for our country and even exporting them, who believes china will be at this stage today-
we cant be follow follow 4 ever man.
tired of it.
god bless nig

(1) (Reply)

Seven Reasons For Not Voting Goodluck Jonathan In 2011 / Without Zoning, No Hope For Igbo Presidency In 2015- Igbo Chieftain / Acn Can’t Speak For Yorubas On Gnu – Edo- Osagie!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.