Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan (5359 Views)

Jonathan’s Foreign Trips Gulp N3.3bn …travelled 20 Times In 2012 / Fayose Attacks Fayemi Again Over N3.3bn Governor’s Lodge. / Efcc Storms Abia Over N3.3bn Scam - Goes After Gov’s Wife, Commissioner. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by freegaza(m): 9:30am On Jun 29, 2010
Navy to buy N3.3bn presidential yatch for Jonathan
Written by Francis Okeke & Turaki A. Hassan   
Tuesday, 29 June 2010 04:39

If the Naval headquarters has its way, President Goodluck Jonathan will cruise in a N3.3bn Presidential Yatch in an “International Sea Exercise and Presidential Fleet Review for Nigeria’s 50th Independence Anniversary.”

Daily Trust gathered from impeccable sources in Abuja yesterday that the request forwarded to the Minister of Defence Adetokunbo Kayode from the office of the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Ishaya Iko Ibrahim seeks to spend N4 billion both for the purchase of the Presidential Yatch and N16m as operational costs for the participation of NN Augusta Helicopters, Defender and Nightcat Interceptor boats in the anniversary celebration.

The proposal has been passed to the Nigeria at 50 anniversary committee in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, sources close to the secretariat told Daily Trust yesterday.

The source said about 15 ships are expected to participate in the exercise with a proposal to repair six non-operation ships including the NNS Aradu which is the pride of the Nigerian Navy.

Similarly, the Naval headquarters is proposing to spend N17m for media coverage of the event while N3 million would be expended on the supply and installation of long and short range communication equipment and split unit air conditioners.

Former President Shehu Shagari is the last known Nigerian leader to have participated in a Presidential Fleet Review to mark Nigeria’s Independence anniversary in 1981.

Checks on the Internet last night showed that the United Kingdom has had 83 royal yachts since the restoration of King Charles II in 1660.

Charles II had 25 Royal Yachts, while five were simultaneously in service in 1831. Since the decommissioning of Britannia in 1997 the Queen no longer has a royal yacht and in Finland the president has a small private yacht.

Yachts are different from working ships mainly by their leisure purpose, and it was not until the rise of the steamboat and other types of powerboat that sailing vessels in general came to be perceived as luxury, or recreational vessels. Later the term came to encompass motor boats for primarily private pleasure purposes as well.

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21244:navy-to-buy-n33bn-presidential-yatch-for-jonathan&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=214
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by freegaza(m): 9:34am On Jun 29, 2010
where are we heading to?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Ehoi: 9:41am On Jun 29, 2010
Wrong priority. cry

Seems some people in government never stop thinking of new ways to waste money.
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 29, 2010
JONATHAN JONATHAN JONATHAN !!!!!!
which kind president be this for God sake ?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by chidichris(m): 9:56am On Jun 29, 2010
why N3.3b? i will suggest they get something befitting.
at least a N20b yatch will not be a bad idea.
no money to fix power, no money to fix our medical sector, our education, our security, our roads yet we have money to do the unnecessary things.
jonathan! jonathan!! Jonathan!!! do the right thing and divide this country.
this marriage is not working, let there be a smooth disengagement.
let everybody go his way.
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by 9jawear(m): 10:10am On Jun 29, 2010
presidential yatch key!!!
can you imagine
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 29, 2010
chidichris:

why N3.3b? i will suggest they get something befitting.
at least a N20b yatch will not be a bad idea.
no money to fix power, no money to fix our medical sector, our education, our security, our roads yet we have money to do the unnecessary things.
jonathan! jonathan!! Jonathan!!! do the right thing and divide this country.
this marriage is not working, let there be a smooth disengagement.
let everybody go his way.
it is not about disengagement,it's about our politicians who cared less about the common man.we've been complaining about equality in leadership and now,lonathan from a minority tribe who ought to make a strong impact for the time being is doing less to change anything instead is being linked with wastage and abuse of office.indeed,yaradua wouldnt have been wasteful as this.
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by ladi02(m): 11:44am On Jun 29, 2010
Cant that money be used to provide good hospitals or improve security or build schools or improve our roads or, abeg dont let me keep going

clueless leaders! angry
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by toba1909(m): 12:13pm On Jun 29, 2010
Is the said yatch for Jonathan or Nigerian Presidents?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by chidichris(m): 12:22pm On Jun 29, 2010
it is not about disengagement,it's about our politicians who cared less about the common man.we've been complaining about equality in leadership and now,lonathan from a minority tribe who ought to make a strong impact  for the time being is doing less to change anything instead is being linked with wastage and abuse of office.indeed,yaradua wouldnt have been wasteful as this.

@bluetooth,
did u forget that joanthan is from ijaw and they havee closeness with water hence the need for this yatch. i will even suggest they build a house for him inside water.
no matter who u put there, as long as it is this same cabal, these criminal groups can only put someone they can have control over. is it not obvious that what we see is jonathan's body while the brain is that of obasanjo.
at the end of the day, they have roped him in and he will remain under their bondage and the day he says a thing agianst them, EFCC  will get involved and that same day, nigerians will be made to know that he is a criminal.
why did they have to wait for ten(10) yrs to tell us the ogbulafor is a criminal? why did they have to wait till 2007 to tell us that atiku was a criminal and how far did they go with his criminalities? why are they recieving alams back to pdp? is he nolonger a criminal?
this thing(nigeria) is not working. we want out.  

Is the said yatch for Jonathan or Nigerian Presidents?

@toba1909,
the said yatch is for steady power supply, security, quality education, good roads, credible elections, good governance, rule of law, improved medical faciulities, employment opportunities.
i hope the answer makes sense to u?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 12:50pm On Jun 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

JONATHAN JONATHAN JONATHAN !!!!!!
which kind president be this for God sake ?

LOOOOOOL. Gosh, you really have no shame. Read the article again, this time without eyes so beclouded by prejudice which has been apparent in other threads.

freegaza:

Navy to buy N3.3bn presidential yatch for Jonathan
Written by Francis Okeke & Turaki A. Hassan   
Tuesday, 29 June 2010 04:39
If the Naval headquarters has its way, President Goodluck Jonathan will cruise in a N3.3bn Presidential Yatch in an “International Sea Exercise and Presidential Fleet Review for Nigeria’s 50th Independence Anniversary.”

Daily Trust gathered from impeccable sources in Abuja yesterday that the request forwarded to the Minister of Defence Adetokunbo Kayode from the office of the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral Ishaya Iko Ibrahim seeks to spend N4 billion both for the purchase of the Presidential Yatch and N16m as operational costs for the participation of NN Augusta Helicopters, Defender and Nightcat Interceptor boats in the anniversary celebration.

The proposal has been passed to the Nigeria at 50 anniversary committee in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, sources close to the secretariat told Daily Trust yesterday.

The source said about 15 ships are expected to participate in the exercise with a proposal to repair six non-operation ships including the NNS Aradu which is the pride of the Nigerian Navy.

Similarly, the Naval headquarters is proposing to spend N17m for media coverage of the event while N3 million would be expended on the supply and installation of long and short range communication equipment and split unit air conditioners.

Former President Shehu Shagari is the last known Nigerian leader to have participated in a Presidential Fleet Review to mark Nigeria’s Independence anniversary in 1981.

Checks on the Internet last night showed that the United Kingdom has had 83 royal yachts since the restoration of King Charles II in 1660.

Charles II had 25 Royal Yachts, while five were simultaneously in service in 1831. Since the decommissioning of Britannia in 1997 the Queen no longer has a royal yacht and in Finland the president has a small private yacht.

Yachts are different from working ships mainly by their leisure purpose, and it was not until the rise of the steamboat and other types of powerboat that sailing vessels in general came to be perceived as luxury, or recreational vessels. Later the term came to encompass motor boats for primarily private pleasure purposes as well.

Don't quit your day job, driving propaganda doesn't really work well for you, it is a skill that requires finesse and tact. . . . . . . and you have neither. Note my response has nothing to do with defending Jonathan (which I am sure you will later claim), it is simply about reasonable discourse bereft of blatant misinformation and lies. Does the name Goodluck Jonatahan get you high? Gosh. Too funny.

N.B.
No need to reply to this post. I genuinely have no interest in having a back and forth with you, just popped in to highlight to trite you were posting. Have a nice day smiley
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by blacksta(m): 1:02pm On Jun 29, 2010
fu cking country - big fool at 50 heading to the dump -
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 29, 2010
Nigeria has refused to grow because of people like you who sees wastage of taxpayers' money as nothing provided the spender is your brother. .this is the same way fraud is committed everywhere,no direct link with the head.
jonathan is the president and must take full responsibilities for any failure in his government.why would he buy a yatch with such amount but has no money to fix nigeria electricity problem.i'm not taking sides but only being objective.
#3.3 billion for a yatch. .how does that sound to you skyblue ?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by na2day(m): 1:38pm On Jun 29, 2010
GEJ is goin to be nigerian worst president - mark my word!
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2010
na2day!:

Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by oisehumen(m): 1:53pm On Jun 29, 2010
na2day!:

Going by how he has been wasting money, very close to the truth.
What a disaster angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by esuaitken: 1:57pm On Jun 29, 2010
Are we to believe that this request is from the Navy or from Goodluck Jonathan?

I feel the initiator of the idea should be identified firstly , then we can take things from there.

4 billion for a yacht? Might be good value but if GJ commences the building of even 3 COE (Centre of Excellence) medical facilities immediately I'm sure the 50th Independence celebrations and the citizenry will be all the better for it.

Why is it that when constructive things are to be done the money is not available , but when it's some crass frivolity, there are no such bottlenecks?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by redsun(m): 2:02pm On Jun 29, 2010
The concept of owning and displaying war machines and vessels lies on a country's abilities to put them together from the scratch.Nigeria as a country does not understand the concept of chariots locomotion,yet they are wasting the people's hard earned  resources buying machines they don't have an inkling of how they work.

Luxury loving monkeys.
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by otokx(m): 2:03pm On Jun 29, 2010
comment my reserve
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 29, 2010
i hv nothing to say, till when it is done
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by esuaitken: 2:08pm On Jun 29, 2010
Please, What kind of yacht is this that they are thinking of? And what is the exchange rate for Naira to $.

Just saw this yacht (not what they are looking for but it got me wondering that if this one is so 'cheap' what are they thinking of getting):

http:///dnlH5Z

It is stupendously plush but nowhere near the 3.3 billion naira being touted by 'the Nigerian Navy' who have neither the technical savvy to maintain or run anything more than a speedboat . BTW  does Obama have a yacht? We should stop this lunacy , and possibly try to pay salaries of, come to think of it - The Navy guys themselves !!!!

We must really be stupid , or doesn't democracy exist in Nigeria? Which  panel, commitee is going to approve such a purchase?
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 2:11pm On Jun 29, 2010
How sad . . . . .
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by tpiah: 2:14pm On Jun 29, 2010
karma is not good!!!

sebi yaradua no dey there again!
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by philip0906(m): 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2010
otokx:

comment my reserve
cheesy grin grin grin grin
@op
its not waste of resources. . .our president needs 2 enjoy himself by cruising in a yatch now that he is president,b'cos he might never have dat opportunity again. . .lets give honour 2 whomhonour is doom due abegi jonathan,carry go cheesy grin grin
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Ranoscky(m): 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^^u must be an ijaw man.
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Beaf: 2:55pm On Jun 29, 2010
. . .the request forwarded to the Minister of Defence Adetokunbo Kayode from the office of the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral [size=14pt]Ishaya Iko Ibrahim [/size]

They really said they would hire aboki's to create false rumours in their "it is our turn" battle.

So navy aboki wants to buy yatch?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by philip0906(m): 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2010
Ranoscky:

^^^u must be an ijaw man.
of course not.I'm wazobia 2 d core cheesy cheesy
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by comechop1: 3:04pm On Jun 29, 2010
House people pls tell me if they can or have the experience to maintain the yatch they intend to purchase. These government people had caused a lot of premature dead, hearth attack and stroke to the common man in our naija Oh my God they have wounded us chycologically with their selfish reasons and i believe time will tell some day.

Take a trip to the Navy dockyard Victoria Island by NTA Channel 10 they have a clinic there no without equipment or medical facility thats why they always fly their Oga abroad for medical treatment even  their kitchen as of last year no kitchen unit and they are cooking with kerozene stove, one small table top fridge, toilet was over flowing from the inside out no plumber repair i stood from far and went away shaking my head.  What else more and more a WHOLE NIGERIA NAVY PREMISES NA EYE SORE. HMMM What about Army barracks, Police barracks, Customs, Airforce etc? all na like mami market yet presidential yatch is under way while our people day sleep under the bridge cryno wahala sha God day poor man prayer sad

Last month in europe there was a boat regatta the sailing boats were as old as 100yrs from different europe countries everything was perfect the boats were breath taken. What have we got to show the world on our 50yrs independence that is as old as 50yrs and well kept? They dont want to borrow a leaf from developed countries well theres time for every thing. We shall see!
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Beaf: 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2010
. . .the request forwarded to the Minister of Defence Adetokunbo Kayode from the office of the Chief of Naval Staff Vice Admiral [size=14pt]Ishaya Iko Ibrahim[/size]

Aboki's want to buy a yatch for the President when almajiri's and Boko Haram unleashed on the nation should be their problem.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/252009_almajiri_jpg3b717fb76953051fdc484005e071f01b
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On Jun 29, 2010
hmm. . . . interesting . .

So why exactly does the president of Nigeria need a yacht? I would understand a Navy ship or something but a YACHT, and for the president? hhmmm

What next? The Army will offer to purchase him a Lamborghini? undecided undecided undecided

WOW!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by comechop1: 3:29pm On Jun 29, 2010
What happened to our Nigeria National Shopping Line NNSL?  grin Inland water ways how far? No boat to cross river, no fishing boat for fisher men, No more waterline na so so okada good government una well done oooo.
Re: Navy Wants To Buy N3.3bn Presidential Yatch For Jonathan by philip0906(m): 3:32pm On Jun 29, 2010
@beaf
 i wish dat boy or any one who knows him could c his pix on nland.he would "sue" u 2 court 4 using his pix do almajiri "commercials" without paying him  cheesy grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Will Crumble And Disappear By 2014 - Okupe / Niger Delta Avengers Strike Again This Saturday Morning,see Their Boastful Tweet / Money Politics: NASS Reviews Campaign Spending Limits Upward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.