Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,214 members, 7,867,526 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:49 PM

Tennis Is Interesting Again! - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis Is Interesting Again! (17453 Views)

Why Tennis Is A Great Sport To Bet On In Nigeria / London Olympics Tennis Final : Serena Willams Vs Sharapova / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 4:29pm On Jul 31, 2007
Well Berych has more than the serve. He also is a good returner. You have to to have a winning record against Nadal. He just needs to learn not to go for too much and he will come on strong.

I class Baghdatis with the likes of Murray, guys who are just below the top echelon.

Gasquet is also quite dangerous, altho everytime I have seen him play Nadal he doesnt seem to believe in himself.

Tsonga is another player who has all the tools but goes for way too much.

But if Safin could take the game seriously I take him over anybody anyday.

@Henin haters.

How can you hate on Henin. Her backhand is the most beautiful stroke in tennis, man or woman.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 4:37pm On Jul 31, 2007
@ Doyin ,
thats d reason y i hate her sef!
i want just d williams to be on top cool

i xpected a lot from Tsonga,Gasquet but they didnt impress me that much at wimbledon

RuuDie, Marcos, started out tops and held promises but aganist big players
he dnst seem to bliv in himself sad
Canas is a different story, sometimes he is good but on a bad day, he is very bad sad

right now Men tennis is all about Roger & Rafa.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 4:49pm On Jul 31, 2007
@viee

gasquet did alright at wimbledon

s/f was not bad
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by RuuDie(m): 4:54pm On Jul 31, 2007
pl's do not put Baghdatis in the same class as the Andys'; those guys are just a mirage - he's a much better playa. . . . 4 me, if a playa can't go 5 sets + extras with concentration still intact then whats he in the sport 4 !?

share ur sentiments over Safin; big hitter, very mobile but when he starts running his mouth - there goes the game o'utta the window. . .  gasquet is a good one too, knows his way around the court!

its all about Roger and Rafa now but the fear factor is significantly reduced now and the competition's catching in on 'em. . .  right now, i think more guys on the circuit fear Nadal more than they do Fed!

I also love the Byrone brothers (or is i correct?); watched a documentary on 'em on TV last weekend. . . . they make quite a cool pair!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2007
@ruudie

u like baghdatis well well o
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by dinozzo(m): 11:12pm On Jul 31, 2007
I still see Federer winning the US open again. I just don't think anyone can beat him in big tournaments except for maybe Nadal who has only done so on clay. I've got to check the ATP site to see whats going on, I'm a bit behind. Nadal won something on clay I think two weeks back.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by RuuDie(m): 10:11am On Aug 01, 2007
@Doyin13,

i just love players that can give me thrilling 5 setters week in 'n out c'uz even at 2 sets down u know that could still pull the chestnut o'utta fire. . . some players take 'em beyond 3 and its curtains!

i would love 2 see d women's game on par with the men's - u know str8 sets win of 3 or str8 down to the wire. . . this 2 set thing's annoying sometimes - the longer a match, the more sweeter, the drama!

@Dinozzo,

Yep, Nadal won in Stuttgart. . . this should be like for the 5th time or thereabouts!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 10:50am On Aug 01, 2007
@Ruudie

You would have loved Alex Corretja

He also had a penchant for fivesetters. Well he never won a grandslam. Only two french Open finals

I think the women's game is 3/4's a joke regardless of what anyone says. Jankovic is no.4 in the world but her serve sometimes barely goes over 90mph!!!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by RuuDie(m): 11:56am On Aug 01, 2007
doyin13:

@Ruudie

I think the women's game is 3/4's a joke regardless of what anyone says. Jankovic is no.4 in the world but her serve sometimes barely goes over 90mph!!!

and they be advocating with pay on par with the guys. . . how about they play on par first!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by RuuDie(m): 12:06pm On Aug 01, 2007
Tim Henman lost to tour rookie John Isner to fall at the first hurdle in the Legg Mason Classic.

American Isner, making his ATP hardcourt debut, held his nerve in a third set tie-break to seal easily the biggest win of his career so far.
Henman came in to the tournament in Washington with good memories after lifting the title there in 2003.

However, after winning in the opening round of the doubles on Monday, the British number two was sent packing by a player ranked 416 in the world.
He served five double faults, including one on match point, to slip to a 10th loss of the season.

The 32-year-old will now play in Cincinnati and New Haven before the final Grand Slam of the year, the US Open.

[url]http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_2634694,00.html[/url]
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 12:13pm On Aug 01, 2007
RuuDie:

and they be advocating with pay on par with the guys. . . how about they play on par first!

E tire me o
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by RuuDie(m): 12:51pm On Aug 01, 2007
It was a good day for the seeded players at the Acura Classic with all four second round matches going the way of the favourites in San Diego on Tuesday night.

Serbian second seed Jelena Jankovic, in action for the first time since Wimbledon, eased into the next round with a 6-3 6-0 defeat of American Vania King.

Martina Hingis, a winner here 10 years ago, overcame a first set lapse to overpower Dutch youngster Michaela Krajicek 7-5 6-2.

The other seed in action was the fourth-ranked Russian Nadia Petrova, who overcame compatriot Elena Bovina 6-3 7-5.

Jankovic's Wimbledon conqueror Marion Bartoli, who went all the way to the final at SW19, landed her first victory since when ousting Aiko Nakamura of Japan 7-6 6-1.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by RuuDie(m): 12:14pm On Aug 02, 2007
WTA San Diego

Maria Sharapova began the defence of her San Diego Classic title with a comprehensive 6-1 6-3 victory over Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn.

Wimbledon champion Venus Williams also put in a good performance to beat Virginie Razzano of France 6-2 6-4.

Third seed Anna Chakvetadze, who has won consecutive titles in Cincinnati and Stanford, defeated American Meghann Shaughnessy 6-4 6-4, while sixth seed Daniela Hantuchova beat Victoria Azarenka of Belarus 6-3 1-6 6-1, earning herself a third round tie against Williams.

Eighth seed Dinara Safina of Russia, ninth seed Elena Dementieva and 11th seed Patty Schnyder of Switzerland also secured wins, with Schnyder now going up against Martina Hingis.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by PDF: 10:09pm On Oct 24, 2007
Nalbandian wins a masters' tournament, only to lose in the first round of another tournament barely three days later!
Well, considering the fact that he played more matches than any other player at the Madrid Masters, he can be excused. 

Isn't tennis interesting?

BTW, where's viee?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Octupus(f): 10:30pm On Oct 24, 2007
@PDF,
I should have accepted ur excuse for Nalbandian but for the fact that he is career 0-4 against Wawrinka,the player who beat him in Basel! Here again, is another interesting phenomenom in tennis.Great guys with too many lesser guys who have their numbers.I think this can be the undoing of many potential achievers.

Honestly,Nalbandian does not need this loss,considering that he is struggling to make Shangai.It's obviously a huge disappointment and a shame for him.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Octupus(f): 10:49pm On Oct 24, 2007
Also Roddick(Num 1 seed) losing to an aged player like Fabrice Santoro in the first round suggests he has not recovered fully from his knee injuries.I think he needs to lay off completely and hope he will recover well enough not to be the whipping boy at Shangai.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Octupus(f): 10:50pm On Oct 24, 2007
I am referring to the Lyon tournament where Andy Roddick is seeded num 1.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by PDF: 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2007
I see you're always lurking around somewhere.

It's interesting to know Wawrinka holds David's number.  Wawrinka actually leads 4-2

It's a pity Nalbandian lost to Wawrinka. His chances of qualifying for Shanghai looks bleak now.  Even Roger wasn't impressive in his opening game, like he usually says the first round matches are usually the most difficult. Let's see how he fares against Del Potro.

Didn't know Roddick was playing? I've been too busy of late.

Which other three players have a good chance of qualifying for Shanghai?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 2:53pm On Oct 25, 2007
PDF:

BTW, where's viee?

i dey oooooo

How bodi?

PDF:

I see you're always lurking around somewhere.

grin grin grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by Octupus(f): 11:39pm On Oct 28, 2007
@PDF,
I have been away myself for sometime.Just came back to town.

Its a confidence booster for Fed to win at Basel.He needs it for Paris and Shangai.This is is 7th title of the season.

Also Andy Murray beat Verdasco today to win the St Petersberg in Russia,brightening his chances of qualifying for Shangai.Talking about Shanghai,below is a an excerpt from a website on how thwy stand to date:

"Murray is 11th in the Champions Race with 326 points, three behind No. 8 Tommy Haas, who is followed by Tommy Robredo (328 points) and James Blake (327).

Fernando Gonzalez has 380 points to be seventh. Four more players are still in contention -- Tomas Berdych (322), Richard Gasquet (321), Carlos Moya (316) and Ivan Ljubicic (315).

Six players have already qualified for the event. The two spots left will be decided at the Paris Masters."

I think winning a masters event like the Paris masters confers a player with 100 points.So,if any of the players in contention wins in Paris,he automatically qualifies.Actually,how well they do in Paris determines who goes.It is pretty open.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2008
Guess itz my turn to ask:

where is PDF, Octupus, Ruddie, Doyin, Dino and oda honourable member s of this parliament?

i miss all your expert analysis. . . . .

nyways, i hv been follown sum intrestn results
Ivanovic and Serena did well this past months
and it actually got me thinking: who will end the year as world no 1?
seems Henin is strugln for the form that made her 'a killer' last yr
Sharapova came out smoking until recently, no thnx to injuries
Henin is yet to paly in any finals this year let alone win it. . . . .
thou im very glad Serena beat her on tues i wish it is grand slam i still miss seeing Henin in her best form sad
so my question is who do u thnk will end the year as world no 1?

or the guys it is still the same story
fedex is still searchn for this first title
Novak has tow already. . . . .
Tsonga's light seem to have been extingushed after the AO
Murray is well Murray
Nadal kiss is still searching
Roddick isnt doin badly
Nickolai and Blake?. . . . still fightn hard
so will be the world no 1?
will Fedex improve and get back his form?

at the grand slam AO, it looked as if it will the yr for the younger generation of tennis players. . . . . .

tell me what u thnk!
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by PDF: 5:10pm On Apr 04, 2008
What do I think Viee, I think you have to pray Nadal wins the Sony Ericsson Open.

Is tennis now interesting to me? Nope. My guys are not in top form.

I'm sure Doyin, David, Octopus will be happy with the recent happenings in the men's game.

Roddick couldn't have chosen another time to have a go at Roger. At least, every other person is doing so, so far this year.

It was mono at first, later it was lack of match fitness, what's it now, Roger? I guess he still needs more matches under his belt. He can take solace in the fact that a healthy Nadal has failed to win a tournament in almost 9 months.

Serena's win over Henin, who's also struggling for form this year, isn't impressive enough. Serena needs to do this week in week out. She takes a break and then comes back fresh and starts bullying her opponents. Remember, it's her first win in the last 4 tries again Henin. Let's see whether she'll pass the Jankovic test, at least we got by Kuznetsova.

Sharapova, IMO, looks like she may end the year as the number one. We are heading into Henin's fav surface. Who knows, she may gain the momentum and form that she needs.

Federer has a whole lot of points to defend. Notwithstanding he will still end up as number one in the ATP ranking. If Djokovic does well in the clay season, he might end up as the year's number one.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by dinozzo(m): 12:14am On Apr 05, 2008
Nadal beat Tomas Berdych in the first semi final of the sony ericsson open and awaits the winner of the other semis between Roddick and Davydenko. I hope Nadal wins this one and whats happening to Federer now, losing everywhere which I like grin.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by PDF: 8:36am On Apr 05, 2008
Davydenko beat Roddick to end his hopes of reaching the finals. I guess getting past Federer takes alot from the Americans. It's safe to say Roger handed Andy the match yesterday, he played crap.

Even if Davydenko had met Federer in the QF, he could have ended his own losing streak against him.

Perhaps, it's also time to snap his losing streak against Nadal in the final too.

In today's women's final, I'm rooting for Jelena.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by PDF: 6:39pm On Apr 05, 2008
Women's tennis and double faults sha!!!

Serena deserves to be spanked, if she loses this match. She rolled over Jelena in the first set in just 22 minutes and started the second set breaking her opponent twice, only to lose the set 5-7.  It's a set apiece now. Game On!

I'm still rooting for Jelena tho'.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by doyin13(m): 9:54pm On Apr 05, 2008
Eh Eh, . . . .

PDF, Dinnozo and Viee, welcome back ooo

We congregate at a time when the Tennis world is undergoing a possible regime change.

THINGS HAVE INDEED FALLEN APART. . . . . . . . . . . . . .THE CEREMONY OF INNOCENCE IS BEING LOOSED EVERYWHERE

AND PRETENDERS APLENTY PLENTY.

Will Federer and Henin Survive?
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by viee(f): 10:26am On Apr 07, 2008
PDF:

Is tennis now interesting to me? Nope. My guys are not in top form.

eyaaa
well for me Tennis cant be beta na only Nadal dey misyarn
Super Serena beat world No1, 3, 4 to grab her 5th Miami title, what can i say? grin
but seriously PDF, did u notice that she looks more fit, trimmer too?
aint lookn bad at all
granted she isnt exactly playn high level tennis but she is a beauty to watch on the court

Dont knw abt Sharapova ending as the No1 really because she too diappoints whn u least expect
im kinda hapi to see how it is moving now really

Roger still hv lots of points to defend no doubt
but im sure his psycology go don take a nose dive, too bad dear Nadal isnt firing frm all cylinders either sad

PDF:

Women's tennis and double faults sha!!!

i tire!

PDF:

I'm still rooting for Jelena tho'.

wrong choice grin
come ova to da wininng camp baby wink cheesy

dinozzo:

whats happening to Federer now, losing everywhere which I[b] like [/b] grin.

me LOVE am grin

doyin13:

THINGS HAVE INDEED FALLEN APART. . . . . . . . . . . . . .THE CEREMONY OF INNOCENCE IS BEING LOOSED EVERYWHERE

AND PRETENDERS APLENTY PLENTY.

Will Federer and Henin Survive?

lmao grin
all hail Poet Dino
the Nobel Laurent for Tennis grin
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by FOD(m): 9:25am On Apr 25, 2008
Federer finally has a title under his belt in 2008, but can he go past Nalby, who rolled over Robredo (6-1, 6-0) to progress to the QF?

Abeg, who will win this Masters Series Tournament? Nadal still remains the favourite.

Monte Carlo Quarter Final Fixtures:

Andreev I. v Davydenko N. 
Federer R. v Nalbandian D. 
Ferrer D. v Nadal R. 
Djokovic N. v Querrey S.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by FOD(m): 2:59pm On Apr 25, 2008
Yea!!! Federer finally beat that short monster. Her awaits the winner between Querrey and the Djoker.

Uncle Davydenko is also through to the SF, he awaits the winner between Nadal and Ferrer.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 4Him1(m): 4:55pm On Apr 25, 2008
Nadal vs Ferrer - I dont like Ferrer, he's a grinder and Nadal always loses to such guys especially on hard courts.
6-1, 6-5 to Nadal at present, Ferrer serving to stay alive.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by FOD(m): 5:06pm On Apr 25, 2008
I was surprised to see Nadal come back to win the second set. He was down two breaks at the start of the set.

It's time to revenge his loss at Miami in the SF.
Re: Tennis Is Interesting Again! by 4Him1(m): 6:03pm On Apr 25, 2008
This is clay not hard court. You'd need to be at your very best to beat Nadal here.
Breaks Ferrer 3 times to take the second set 7-5.
Good but tense game.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating / Victor Anichebe Laments About His Knee Injury [PICS] / Nigeria Professional Football League Table After Week 8 Sunday Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.