Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,934 members, 7,828,258 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

We Are Too Poor To Run - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Are Too Poor To Run (904 Views)

Nigerians Are Too Poor To Revolt- Sule Lamido / Fuel Subsidy: You Can't Task The Poor To Pay The Rich - NLC Mobilises For Wed / Nigerian Youths Are Too Poor To Run For Political Offices. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 3:27am On Sep 01, 2018
My name is Ngene Chibueze John and I want to represent my Nkanu West constituency in the Enugu State House of Assembly. My main reason of aspiring for this position is so that I can protect the good people of my constituency in particular and my state in general from terrorist-herdsmen, in a peaceful and proactive way, by sponsoring a bill in the house of assembly.

When the bill is passed and becomes law, it'll empower some of our young men and women to monitor the movements of herdsmen in Enugu state to ensure that their cattle do not stray into farms and damage crops. These unarmed youths will also play a role in resolving potential conflicts between farmers and herdsmen or communities and herdsmen.

Unfortunately however, I cannot sponsor this bill without being in the Enugu State House of Assembly. I cannot be in the House without contesting under a political party. And I cannot contest without paying as much as the Senate-regulated maximum price of N500,000 (five hundred thousand naira) for the nomination forms of the party.

Believe it or not, others officially stand at
(A) N150,000 for Ward Councillorship aspirants in the FCT
(B) N250,000 for Area Council Chairmanship aspirants in the FCT
(C) N500,000 for State House of Assembly aspirants
(D) N1million for Federal House of Representatives aspirants
(E) N2million for Senatorial aspirants
(F) N5million for Governorship aspirants
(G) N10million for Presidential aspirants

Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 3:28am On Sep 01, 2018
In the course of my search for a lower price, I discovered that a newly registered party the Youth Party charges N20,000 for their expression of interest form and N200,000 for their nomination form. I almost lost hope till I found an online announcement by another new party the National Rescue Movement (NRM) of a Not Too Poor To Run policy.

When I contacted them, they informed me that their expression of interest form and nomination form is N20,000 and N100,000 respectively. Which is indeed in line with their Not Too Poor To Run policy.

Compared with other parties like APGA (which I had originally wanted to contest under), PDP, APC, YP etc, it is the most fair, most affordable and most youth-friendly alternative. The problem is that as an aspirant there is more spending to do even after winning your party's primaries. You have to campaign in your constituency, print flyers/posters/banners, send bulk SMS and of course meet with influential people who can convince eligible voters to vote for you. No be small tin at all. Lol. Worst still is that, in my case, Enugu state is a 99% PDP state from the governor, local government chairmen to the councilors. (I say "99%" only in the hope that I'll be the 1% as from 2019.) What shall it profit an opposition aspirant to spend close to N300,000 campaigning and still end up losing the elections?
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 3:28am On Sep 01, 2018
The answer to that question is the reason I plead with the National Assembly to add the Not Too Poor To Run to the Not Too Young To Run which they have already passed. At present, Nigerian youths are seated in a plane with only one wing. The plane cannot take off, talk more of flying, until the other wing is attached to the plane. If we opt for the private jets of godfathers, we will still be handicapped as we must dance to their corrupt tunes.

It is true that the Senate deserves commendation for even regulating the nomination fee for aspirants. Before now, it used to be arbitrary. So bad that some parties charged as high as N22million and N11million for their presidential and governorship nomination forms respectively in 2015. We the youths are truly grateful to the Senate President and our distinguished senators for taking a step in the right direction. Yes, half bread is better than none. Yet I think we'll benefit fully fully if the nomination is reviewed further downwards to reflect the harsh reality of the economic hardship faced by the average Nigerian youth.

I suggest that the nomination fee be pegged in relation to the national minimum wage which still stands at a meagre N18,000 (eighteen thousand naira) as I write this. I suggest that the nomination fees be revised as follows:

(A) N37,500 for Ward Councillorship aspirants in the FCT

(B) N62,500 for Area Council Chairmanship aspirants in the FCT

(C) N125,000 for State House of Assembly aspirants

(D) N250,000 for Federal House of Representatives aspirants

(E) N500,000 for Senatorial aspirants

(F) N1.25million for Governorship aspirants

(G) N2.5million for Presidential aspirants
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 3:29am On Sep 01, 2018
You may be wondering whether the terrorist-herdsmen issue is my only mission and motivation for aiming for a seat in my state's house of assembly. Indeed it is, it is my ONE AGENDA. In fact, if it takes me only one term of four years (2019 - 2023) in office to achieve it, I'll gladly not recontest. Except for a higher office perhaps at the national level where I can push the Igbo agenda.

If you were active on Nairaland in 2016, you might have seen this post https://www.nairaland.com/3460740/fulani-herdsmen-preparing-strike-amurri where I narrated an ugly experience my village had with herdsmen. (I don't know why I can no longer gain access to that my former Nairaland account.) Thank God it was eventually resolved. Nevertheless, it woke me up. It made me realise that we need to be proactive in our dealings with these herdsmen. It made me wonder whether our representatives at our state house of assembly were still sleeping. Don't they know the powers they possess as state lawmakers?

All that must change with my presence in the Enugu State House of Assembly. All I demand is a level playing ground for responsible youths like me who are not yet millionaires and as such can't afford to neither spend lavishly nor be enslaved by corrupt godfathers.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 3:29am On Sep 01, 2018
I do not want a godfather but I need godbrothers and godsisters who can support me financially. I know that crowdfunding for politics is not yet a popular concept here in Nigeria. On the contrary, once people hear you're contesting for office, them go open hand make you give them money sef. Lol. Notwithstanding, there's no harm in trying.

If you believe in my ONE AGENDA and you're moved to support my political ambition financially, please whatsapp me on +2349095000603

If you belong to my Nkanu-West constituency, I'd love to hear from you. Is there any particular law you'd like me to push in the Enugu State House of Assembly? Please feel free to whatsapp me too.

Thanks in advance.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 3:34pm On Sep 01, 2018
Greenarrow01 I really loved that your godfather comment on Nejeeb Oyarese's campaign thread. You strike me as a realist. Please sir do you have any advice for youths like me who neither want to disciple nor judas any godfather? Lol.

As for you nex sir, could you please open up on how you got the nomination form for the senatorial seat you're running for? How much was it under the Accord Party?

I could be wrong but I think these are the real questions we should answer to truly encourage Nigerian youths to run for office.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by Greenarrow01(m): 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2018
WomenTrainer:
Greenarrow01 I really loved that your godfather comment on Nejeeb Oyarese's campaign thread. You strike me as a realist. Please sir do you have any advice for youths like me who neither want to disciple nor judas any godfather? Lol.

As for you nex sir, could you please open up on how you got the nomination form for the senatorial seat you're running for? How much was it under the Accord Party?

I could be wrong but I think these are the real questions we should answer to truly encourage Nigerian youths to run for office.

Do you have money.
Lol
Cos without a god father, or money.. nothing .else is possible
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by xangerar: 5:18pm On Sep 01, 2018
Quite a pity. Electoneering is such an expensive venture for those seeking serve, little wonder they end up serving themselves only when they succeed.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 2:53am On Sep 03, 2018
Apart from the money aspect, there are certain conditions that must be met if you want to contest in an election. I copied and pasted these from the Youth Party Guidelines for Primaries PDF document. Thanks to them for making it free for download on their website. I encourage you to download the full PDF document that I've uploaded on this thread and read it yourself. Of course I'll share the section from the state house of assembly segment (which is the office I'm interested in) though I observed that the same requirements applies to all the other elective positions like president, governor, senator, house of reps etc. The only difference is the expression of interest and nomination fees for the respective offices.

QUALIFICATION

(1) An aspirant for primary election to the State Houses of Assembly shall:

(a.) Be a citizen of Nigeria;

(b.) Fulfill all the conditions set out in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, the Constitution of the Party and the provisions of any other relevant law and these Guidelines;

(c.) Be a registered voter and attached a copy of his/her voters registration card to the duly completed Nomination form;

(d.) Complete and submit the Expression of Interest Form;

(e.) Resign/retire from office if a political appointee, civil servant, public servant or party official not later than 7 (seven) days before the date of the collection forms for the Primary Elections;

(f.) Possess educational qualification not below the level of Senior Secondary Certificate or its equivalent according to Section 65 (2) (a); and

(g.) Is a duly registered member of the Party whose name is contained in the membership register of the Party.

Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 2:53am On Sep 03, 2018
GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION

(2.) An aspirant shall not be qualified to contest the primary election to the National Assembly, if he/she:

(a.) Fails to produce his/her personal income tax certificate, or any evidence that he/she has paid his/her income tax for the last preceding three years or evidence of exemption from payment of personal income tax; or

(b.) Presents a false birth certificate or declaration of age for the purpose of the primary election or for any purpose whatsoever; or

(c.) Has been indicted for any misconduct set out in Section 61 (1) of the Constitution of the Party and has been punished in accordance of Section 62 (1); or

(d.) Has been dismissed from the public service of the Federation or of a State or Local Government Area Council or from any other employment in the public or private sector, or

(e.) Is a member of a secret society; or

(f.) Has been adjudged guilty of treason or treasonable felony by any court in Nigeria; or

(g.) Has been convicted by a court of competent jurisdiction of any criminal offence including homicide, fraud or dishonesty or the sale or use of narcotic drugs or any other psychotropic substances by any court of competent jurisdiction in Nigeria or within the Commonwealth or elsewhere; or

(h.) Under the law in any part of Nigeria, he/she is adjudged to be a lunatic or otherwise declared to be of unsound mind; or

(i.) Is an undischarged bankrupt, having been adjudged or otherwise declared bankrupt under any law in force in Nigeria or any other country; or

(j.) Has been convicted for embezzlement or fraud by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 2:54am On Sep 03, 2018
SCREENING PROCEDURE FOR STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ASPIRANTS

(3.) The screening procedure for an aspirant in the primary election of the Party into the State House of Assembly shall be as follows:

(a.) an aspirant shall obtain the Expression of Interest Form, with the prescribed nonrefundable fee of Twenty Thousand Naira (N20,000) from the National Secretariat of the Party or such other place as may be designated by the National Executive Committee of the Party, and, on completion, return same to the National Secretariat;

(b.) an aspirant shall obtain the Nomination form –from the National Secretariat of the Party or such other place designated by the National Working Committee of the Party and evidenced upon payment of the prescribed non-refundable fee of Two Hundred Thousand Naira (N200,000) ; save that female aspirants and persons with disabilities (PWD) shall pay 50% (half) of the prescribed nomination fee;

(c.) The Nomination form shall contain signatures of not less than 30 (thirty) persons from at least two-thirds of all Local Government Areas within the State Constituency, who shall be registered voters in their respective Local Government Areas and also registered members of the Party.

(d.) a duplicate copy of Voter’s Registration Card of the aspirant shall be attached to the duly completed Nomination form;

(e.) a copy of the Party Membership Card of the aspirant shall be attached to the duly completed Screening;

(f.) An aspirant shall provide a reference from his/her bank stating that he/she has been a customer for at least (five) years preceding the date of the primary election or from his/her last employer;

(g.) the duly completed Nomination forms shall be accompanied by a sworn declaration made before a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public undertaking to abide by the guidelines, all laws and any rules or regulations made by the Party relating to the conduct of primary elections and code of conduct on behavior and directives of the Party for its members or State House of Assembly primaries.

(h.) An aspirant shall ensure that all the information supplied by him/her in the relevant Nomination form is true and correct. Any aspirant who gives false information or makes false declaration in the Nomination form shall be disqualified and the Party shall reserve the right to report to the law enforcement authorities.

(i.) The decision of the National Executive Committee of the Party on all primary election matters shall be final, subject only to the right appeal by an aggrieved aspirant.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by kabrudrapist: 6:10am On Sep 03, 2018
Interesting.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 4:50pm On Sep 03, 2018
xangerar:
Quite a pity. Electoneering is such an expensive venture for those seeking serve, little wonder they end up serving themselves only when they succeed.

Exactly!!! That is the tragedy of Nigerian politics.

Immediately I saw the cost of buying nomination forms, I said, "No wonder!"

No wonder Nigerian politicians are as corrupt, selfish and greedy as they are. It gets worse when the electorates demand bribes (cash, bags of rice etc) before they vote for an aspirant.

That is the reason I'm determined not to bribe anybody to vote me into power. I will convince them with my ONE AGENDA and they will vote for me out of the conviction of their conscience and belief in my cause.

1 Like

Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by xangerar: 5:29pm On Sep 03, 2018
WomenTrainer:

Exactly!!! That is the tragedy of Nigerian politics.

Immediately I saw the cost of buying nomination forms, I said, "No wonder!"

No wonder Nigerian politicians are as corrupt, selfish and greedy as they are. It gets worse when the electorates demand bribes (cash, bags of rice etc) before they vote for an aspirant.

That is the reason I'm determined not to bribe anybody to vote me into power. I will convince them with my ONE AGENDA and they will vote for me out of the conviction of their conscience and belief in my cause.

It is quite pathetic. I have a senior associate who is vying for a House of Representative seat under the PDP in Imo State. His people have drained him and the primaries aren't yet due until mid September.

He is begrudging them. Now he tells me he understands why every politician who wins consider such position as an avenue to make wealth and to recoupe his expenditure.

As far back as when Peter Obi ran for the first time in 2003 for the Anambra governorship position, he came in with N200 Million for a start.

I was surprised to hear from no less a person than Chief Bode George himself that in 2015, an aspirant in PDP Lagos paid 200,000 Naira to each party delegate for their votes at the Guber primaries.

According to Tunde Bakare, Nasir El-Rufai borrowed over N170Million from him in 2015 to fund his campaigns in Kaduna. He paid back 2 years after taking office as Governor.

When Pat Utomi went to University of Lagos some years back and asked students to contribute to his campaign, they were all looking at him strangely. To them it was weird. He was supposed to give them rather, they thought.

In the US democracy we copied,people donate to the campaigns of the candidate of their choice and there is a limit to the amount that can be spent by any politician.

There is also a limit anyone can donate to a candidate to eliminate the godfather syndrome. But here, its the opposite.

One of Rabiu Kwankwaso's grouse with President Buhari, according to Adams Oshiomhole is that
Rabiu Kwankwaso brought a lot of money to fund Buhari's campaign in 2015 but was not given juicy positions and contracts by Buhari to enable him recoupe his investment.

How then can we expect service if we rob those who want to serve and put them in huge debt.

3 Likes

Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 6:10pm On Sep 03, 2018
xangerar:

It is quite pathetic. I have a senior associate who is vying for a House of Representative seat under the PDP in Imo State. His people have drained him and the primaries aren't yet due until mid September.

He is begrudging them. Now he tells me he understands why every politician who wins consider such position as an avenue to make wealth and to recoupe his expenditure.

As far back as when Peter Obi ran for the first time in 2003 for the Anambra governorship position, he came in with N200 Million for a start.

I was surprised to hear from no less a person than Chief Bode George himself that in 2015, an aspirant in PDP Lagos paid 200,000 Naira to each party delegate for their votes at the Guber primaries.

According to Tunde Bakare, Nasir El-Rufai borrowed over N170Million from him in 2015 to fund his campaigns in Kaduna. He paid back 2 years after taking office as Governor.

When Pat Utomi went to University of Lagos some years back and asked students to contribute to his campaign, they were all looking at him strangely. To them it was weird. He was supposed to give them rather, they thought.

In the US democracy we copied,people donate to the campaigns of the candidate of their choice and there is a limit to the amount that can be spent by any politician.

There is also a limit anyone can donate to a candidate to eliminate the godfather syndrome. But here, its the opposite.

One of Rabiu Kwankwaso's grouse with President Buhari, according to Adams Oshiomhole is that
Rabiu Kwankwaso brought a lot of money to fund Buhari's campaign in 2015 but was not given juicy positions and contracts by Buhari to enable him recoupe his investment.

How then can we expect service if we rob those who want to serve and put them in huge debt.

Hmmm... You have really made a lot of revelations sir.

How do we correct this moneytization of Nigeria's politics?

For me, I think the Not Too Young To Run law is a step 1 in the right direction.
Step 2. Not Too Poor To Run law.
This is to make nomination forms and the campaign process more affordable and within the reach of the legally responsible average Nigerian.
Step 3. Reduction of the allowances of politicians.
This will reduce the perception of Nigerian politics as a business venture. Similarly, I agree with nex who argues for constituency project fund which is allocated to the members of the National Assembly to be scrapped. Legislators should face their constitutional duty of making laws. That constituency project fund should instead be given to local governments who are nearer to the people.
Step 4?

*passing the microphone*
Over to you sir, ladies and gentlemen. Please let's brainstorm.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by xangerar: 9:32pm On Sep 03, 2018
WomenTrainer:

Hmmm... You have really made a lot of revelations sir.

How do we correct this moneytization of Nigeria's politics?

For me, I think the Not Too Young To Run law is a step 1 in the right direction.
Step 2. Not Too Poor To Run law.
This is to make nomination forms and the campaign process more affordable and within the reach of the legally responsible average Nigerian.
Step 3. Reduction of the allowances of politicians.
This will reduce the perception of Nigerian politics as a business venture. Similarly, I agree with nex who argues for constituency project fund which is allocated to the members of the National Assembly to be scrapped. Legislators should face their constitutional duty of making laws. That constituency project fund should instead be given to local governments who are nearer to the people.
Step 4?

*passing the microphone*
Over to you sir, ladies and gentlemen. Please let's brainstorm.

When our people are better sensitized to understand the purpose of government, they may demand better than they do now.

Four years ago, a full grown adult male person proudly told me he took two bottles of beer for free and that was enough to vote for the present Governor of Ekiti State.

Grinders and wheel barrows are still dividends of democracy.

Step 1 for me is getting people to know what people should demand from government.

Beers and cups of rice are for a meal only.

I know full grown men who use to go to the house of an Ibadan politician to eat amala and ewedu daily, meanwhile the upkeep of their many children were in their wives' care.

They had no good hospitals, no schools, no electricity. Chief was godfather. He installed governments in Oyo State until he died. He collected as much as he wanted as takeback from government purse and cooked amala and ewedu for the people.

Instead of asking for good and accountable government, they took his stew and remained his slave.

I know a House of Reps member from Plateau State who said he cant enter Jos without at least 6 Million Naira. People are asking for financial assistance to conduct burials and build kiosks, instead of asking for good governance and accountability.

Where is he getting the money he shares? Monies that are meant for the provision of critical infrastructures are being stolen and used to impress the unwary people so he would remain popular, win more elections and steal more money.

The people remains poor and do not know why they are still poor after much.

First things first, the people must be tutored to reason differently and ask for tangible dividends of democracy from government and not peanuts.

Then the law reforms could come second as stew on the rice.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 6:13am On Sep 04, 2018
Inviting my old Nairaland friends Pavore9 BobUgee Jefy Chriswazo to the roundtable. Please, come in here let's brainstorm on the way forward.
Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 5:00pm On Sep 10, 2018
We may be too poor to run but are we too poor to vote?
Let's reflect on this powerful artwork by our fellow Nigerian youth.

1 Share

Re: We Are Too Poor To Run by WomenTrainer: 1:37pm On Sep 17, 2018
I have good news for all our young aspiring politicians. In the course of my search for a more affordable youth-friendly political party, I found out that the United Progressive Party (UPP) is offering their nomination forms free to youths under 30years of age. Yes o! FREE!!! So please take advantage of the opportunity if you're interested.

And even if you're over 30years old, their nomination form fees are still the most affordable and youth-friendly. I must commend the UPP chairman and founder, Chekwas Okorie and his party executives for this wonderful initiative.

(1) (Reply)

Ambodes Mis-steps / Rivers State House Of Assembly Confirmed Inime Chinwenwo Aguma Today / Okorocha And Fashola Contradictory Statement About 2023 Power Shift.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.