Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) (21300 Views)

Nicholas Mutu: Abandoned NDDC Projects Of Lawmaker Mentioned By Akpabio / I Knew The Election Wasn’t Going To Hold & Wasn't Surprised - Sowore / Why I Won’t Complete Projects Initiated By Akpabio – Gov Emmanuel (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Olukat(m): 11:03am On Sep 01, 2018
ipobarethieves:
wink cheesy undecided cool Epistle! Udom is a goner.Delta , Rivers is in Apc pocket as tin stand now.Anyway, Tonywbarcanista, u don lif ur village go Akwa ibom/Calabar. Hope dem girls neva cook u vegetable chop? who be ur presidential candidate.Hoq Anonimi dey?

You need to grow up n understand ND politics

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by PapaBaby: 11:07am On Sep 01, 2018
Useless Akpabio

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by ipobarethieves: 11:12am On Sep 01, 2018
Olukat:

You need to grow up n understand ND politics
u are a kid.I dnt trade banter with a teen
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 01, 2018
Na wash
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by nellyelitz(m): 11:24am On Sep 01, 2018
SolutionMee:
Same way Jesus wasn't taken aback with Judas's action.
Traitors are easily identified by visionary leaders.
For Udom to have known this shows how insightful he is.
Come 2019, he has my vote.
me too

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by udemzyudex(m): 11:28am On Sep 01, 2018
Honestly this is the kind of leaders we want at the top.

You bring your policies, you table your agender and work towards it with 100% focus.

Forget about the party and how popular the individual is, the question should be, what do you have for Nigerians and how do you intend to achieve it?

If you can't achieve at least 60-70% in your first term, you vote in another person with a good policy and a Road map to achieving it.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by nellyelitz(m): 11:29am On Sep 01, 2018
Penaldo:
Akpabio should go away, he is not our leader. Udom is our leader
Awasi udiong fien, amen!

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by OfficialSam(m): 11:30am On Sep 01, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Good morning,

Bros, I'm now an honorary Akwa Ibomite (lol) at same time a Riverian.

Seriously, unlike the states you mentioned, Akwa Ibom will forever be with Udom because he's the only true leader and Governor since history. Aside his performance, the people of the state have this rotational unwritten agreement to allow all 3 zones enjoy 8 Years each.

1999-2007 it was Uyo District (Obong Victor Attah)

2007- 2015 it was Ikot-Ekpene district (Godswill Akpabio)

2015-2023 is now for Eket Senatorial district (Udom Emmanuel)

It is expected to return to Uyo (or Ikot-Ekpene) in 2023. You see Akwa Ibomites aren't willing to change this anytime soon.

Beside, Udom has performed excellently and the Dakkada philosophy is working

If truly you are in FCT, then you need to come back to Akwa Ibom. Only then you will understand that Udom is just a lousy governor.

I just read about Youth Empowerment on your frivolous article. My brother, 200 youths were deceived by Udom's led administration into a sham that never existed in the name of Power Sector Training. So needless to say I'm a 'propagandist' according to the governor. I was one of them; so I'm talking from experience. We were deceived and battered for the sake of publicity.

Udom Emmanuel talks more than a parrot, he has not done much for the state. Forget about the Industrialisation brouhaha.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by FBIL: 11:44am On Sep 01, 2018
Realdeals:
The joke is on those that are suffering as a result of mismanagement by leaders and yet, remain a tool for these oppressors to continue perpetrate themselves in power. They've not being useful and I don't think they will, a new order is needed to move Nigeria forward.

I STAND WITH SOWORE
Sodiq Nurudeen, spotted!
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by gladisa7: 11:52am On Sep 01, 2018
ndi imi nkita aaa sef!
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by mildflame: 12:18pm On Sep 01, 2018
AKPABIO OR NOT, AkwaIbom is APC
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Ikpongiton: 12:21pm On Sep 01, 2018
paying of exam fees for ill prepared students and employing dunces as teachers is same as making white garment for pigs. #still with udom .
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by mildflame: 12:29pm On Sep 01, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:

Good morning,

Bros, I'm now an honorary Akwa Ibomite (lol) at same time a Riverian.

Seriously, unlike the states you mentioned, Akwa Ibom will forever be with Udom because he's the only true leader and Governor since history. Aside his performance, the people of the state have this rotational unwritten agreement to allow all 3 zones enjoy 8 Years each.

1999-2007 it was Uyo District (Obong Victor Attah)

2007- 2015 it was Ikot-Ekpene district (Godswill Akpabio)

2015-2023 is now for Eket Senatorial district (Udom Emmanuel)

It is expected to return to Uyo (or Ikot-Ekpene) in 2023. You see Akwa Ibomites aren't willing to change this anytime soon.

Beside, Udom has performed excellently and the Dakkada philosophy is working

This foolish PDP scrondle wan de feel he sabi anything AKWA IBOM. Shey Jonathan nu de pay you again you wan come de use HOPLESS UDOM de shine. That creek you came out of you go go back ASAP

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by victordaimond: 12:33pm On Sep 01, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
who are the we?
speak for yourself madam.
I'm akwa ibomite and we're all tired of pdp dictatorship and tyranny in the state.
come 2019 Udom is going home.
apc ti take over.
you be yeye fowl see ur yeye for outside oh you foul human being.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by myproperty(m): 12:42pm On Sep 01, 2018
udemzyudex:
Honestly this is the kind of leaders we want at the top.

You bring your policies, you table your agender and work towards it with 100% focus.

Forget about the party and how popular the individual is, the question should be, what do you have for Nigerians and how do you intend to achieve it?

If you can't achieve at least 60-70% in your first term, you vote in another person with a good policy and a Road map to achieving it.

Honestly the governor is too sound. He even challenged them to a public discuss. How I wish we would have a president that is sound. Akwaibom seems to be having better than average Governors

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by myproperty(m): 12:45pm On Sep 01, 2018
gladisa7:
ndi imi nkita aaa sef!

Whatever you call them, their state keep improving with focus leaders
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by bedspread: 12:46pm On Sep 01, 2018
It's becoming clear day by day that Akpabio is more of Media Celebrity than Facts....

It was the same thing Mr. Orji Uzor Kanu and Theodore Orji were in Abia State....

Bunch of Media Governor with little or both on Ground....

Akpabio Fall has begun... He is Gradually being Exposed...
most of this Akpabio hype na Confirmed Wash

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Adekdammy: 12:49pm On Sep 01, 2018
Wise and performing governor.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by PennywysCares(m): 1:01pm On Sep 01, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Published September 1, 2018 on Punch Newspap

The Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, in this interview with TUNDE AJAJA speaks on the recent political developments in the state and his plan for people of the state as he declares his intention to seek re-election in the 2019 governorship election

You recently declared your intention to seek re-election as the governor of Akwa Ibom State in the 2019 election; what are the things that should make the people of Akwa Ibom vote for you again?

In all sectors of the economy, the question anybody would ask is who could have done it better? That is one. The second one is that in the face of the worst recession ever in this country, which was in 2016 and part of 2017, a governor could pull numerous projects through, and despite the challenges in the country, a governor was able to commit investors to bring money into the same economy going through recession. At that time, it would ordinarily take you almost 10 times the efforts it used to take you before to convince one investor to bring one dollar to Nigeria, but we were able to. So, I think it is highly commendable that we did all that and Akwa Ibom people appreciate it. Beyond that, in 2016, there were a number of months that our allocation really dwindled and could barely meet our first line charges, but in the face of that, we were paying salaries, pension and allowances and we didn’t owe anybody. When we came into office, even the local government gratuity that was being owed from 2003, we paid them. If you look beyond that and we start taking sector by sector, there are evidences of the much we have done in all the sectors.

Some of your critics, especially the opposition, believe that you have not done as much as you want people to believe. Could you tell us the specific things you have done in the different sectors?

In the education sector, for example, I pay West African Senior School Certificate Examination fees every year for our students, and while some states are retrenching, I’m still recruiting teachers. The first batch of recruitment was 1,500 and the second batch is also 1,500. So, the question is; how many states actually did these, vis-a-vis when there was so much money in the system? Our public schools are representing Nigeria in Sweden now in some SMART competitions. When the Peoples Democratic Party government (led by former President Goodluck Jonathan) handed over, a US dollar was N186, unlike today that we get it at about N365. At that time, a Toyota Corolla was going for N3.4m, but now, the same car is over N19m. So, now, we have hyperinflation, with a reduced income and real value of money in people’s hands, which is like a double whammy. But, in the face of these, a governor is able to pull through and is running a government as if nothing had happened. Don’t mind what the propagandists are putting on the social media. Right now, we have intervened in the local government system and it can only take a magician to do much more in that area than we have done. In agriculture, we have done a lot too. When we took over government, two cups of garri (cassava flakes) was going for N200, but with collaboration with the farmers and government intervention, today, 13 cups of the that same gaari go for that same N200. People are beginning to see effect of the green house initiative that we introduced. In the past, there was a period you wouldn’t find vegetable to buy in the market because of rain, but with the green house initiative, the essence is for us to have daily needs available at any point in time at affordable cost. Also, the rice we are growing today in one of the local government areas, even though we are still on a test run, you need to see the quality of the rice we are producing, or is it our cocoa plantation that you want to talk about, where the yield has really improved over time and we have had to bring a fertiliser blending plant. So, in terms of agric, we have done a whole lot, and we now see youths going into farming, because we created appropriate pricing of farm produce in order to encourage farmers and have more people engaged in these activities.

There was also a report that in terms of infrastructure, there is not much to show. Could you tell us your achievement in that sector?

If you go to infrastructure, I stand to be challenged anywhere that despite the recession, we did 1,700km of roads, and some have been completed and inaugurated while some are in advanced stage of construction. And some of these roads are dualised into six lanes; some are even the so-called federal roads. These are things anyone visiting Akwa Ibom would see; to tell you that we are not just talking. Then, the seaport and the logistics centre in the state were things only on papers for a very long time. The very first time to move beyond the first stage was under this government and we are at the last stage now in the Ibom Deep Seaport. These are visible evidences of a well focused, transparent, resourceful and well managed government that can compete anywhere with the best practices in the world. Let me also tell you that in terms of health care system, the secondary health care system was completely dead, but we have now revived it and we now have paperless (digital) general hospital. As of today, we got the report that the number of patients in our teaching hospital has reduced drastically, because we have revived them. We have brought in over 26 containers of equipment to equip our hospitals with modern facilities and our target is to bring in 100; the other containers are on the sea and we will clear them very soon. In terms of social services and youth empowerment, we have done so much and it remains one of the areas we pride ourselves in. We have begun constructing modern sports centres and facilities in all the 10 federal constituencies of the state, so we could raise champions. We engage the youths, under our youth skill acquisition programme called AKEET. These are things we are doing that are touching the lives of people. We promised our youths that as we continue, we will change their situation from begging for a living to earning a living and these are improvements that we have made in all ramifications. And what then do you call dividends of democracy?

Some people are saying your predecessor did a lot on infrastructure than you did, but that…

(Cuts in…) Let me say something here. When people do comparison, look at the depth of understanding of those people doing the comparison. Even in financial reporting, there is what we call year-on-year. First, you can’t compare three years with eight years and when you compare, there should be a common denominator. It’s simple; compute how much we have collected in three years and factor in the exchange rate of N365 to a dollar, not forgetting the rate of inflation now and the fact that at some point, dollar rose to N495 and the price of bitumen went up six times, yet we did a lot of transactions. Then, compare that to their eight years when dollar was about N161.7 on the average. With that, you would get a reasonable comparison of who had done much, bearing in mind the number of years of eight to three. There is no intelligence in what whoever did that comparison did. You see, they want to keep dragging us there and we don’t want to, but if we are allowed to go there, we can bring out the hard fact and the people would be surprised. Our own is forward never backward never.

There were also reservations expressed about your industrialisation programmes. What have you done in that regard?

That was the same thing they said about it, until we made a documentary and showed it on the television. Today, that has silenced them. Let them continue with mischief and propaganda, while we continue with the development of the state; empowering people and building the economy of the state. Industrialisation was the bedrock of our campaign, and as difficult as it was to convince anyone to bring one dollar, when we took over power, toothpick and pencil were being imported from China, but today, the toothpick and pencils we are using are produced in Akwa Ibom. Fertiliser blending, the first of its kind, is also in this Akwa Ibom. The largest syringe manufacturing factory is in Akwa Ibom. The flour mill that is most modern is in Akwa Ibom. Our state realises the economic value of crude coconut oil and we have 11,000 hectares for that, and we are building a coconut oil refinery and that same facility will refine palm kernel oil. We are building a modern plywood factory, such that we can easily export them and we are about growing bamboo to be processed for the textile industry. These are some of the things we are doing, and that is not all. There is no government in Nigeria today that can boast of something better than we have done. And our people are excited as well as appreciating this. In terms of security, we have also done a lot and that was the reason why when we did the declaration on Friday, last week, people showed that sense of loyalty and solidarity. The number of people at the stadium answered the question and it showed they are ready to support us in the coming election. It is also because we have humility in service, transparency, best practices, integrity and character in service and people are beginning to appreciate that there could be governance that gives hope. We are not just preparing our people for the future; we are also preparing the future for them. At our airport, we are constructing the second runway. So, all the three major gateways to our industrialisation; water (deep seaport), air (the airport) and road (massive road construction) are receiving huge attention. We came in with a blueprint that we are implementing and that is why people are saying that if we have done this much, we need a second term to do more. Basically, what we are doing is to build a solid economy for our people so that the political structure can run peacefully. It’s only mischief makers that would say you have not done well, and I’m glad you mentioned opponent because night and darkness do not go together. Propaganda and development can never go hand in hand. These are infrastructural projects that are visible; not abstract. In terms of the quality and the length of road that we have constructed, no government, since the creation of this state, has in one day inaugurated 28 internal roads. Ask people who are from here, they will tell you. We don’t take issues with people who do not see anything good in things that are good.

Now that you claim to have done this much in less than four years, people might ask what your plans are for this next tenure, if the people of Akwa Ibom decide to give you the mandate?

I came into government with a clear five-point agenda, which are all clearly stated; job creation, poverty alleviation, wealth creation, economic and political inclusion and infrastructural consolidation and expansion. I told them at the declaration that in the first term, we are to sustain superior performance, while in the second tenure, we are to surpass superior performance. In clear terms, you can never finish work on any of those five points in four years; it is after eight years you would see the impact. Even as a country, you can’t finish those five in four years; work on them must continue, and things would be at an unprecedented level after the eight years.

Your state has been in the news recently, following the defection of your predecessor, Senator Godswill Akpabio, to the ruling party. Some people saw it coming while some were caught unawares. For you, what was your initial reaction when it happened?

None of the above, I mean in the options you provided. I didn’t see it coming and it wasn’t a great surprise. You see, we are a well trained people and trained minds don’t reason like untrained minds. If you are a trained mind, the unexpected are expected to happen at an unexpected time. However, what you do as a trained mind at that point in time is what matters most. And you could see at this period that we are calm and we are not bothered about it. No cause for alarm. Everywhere in the world, not only in Akwa Ibom or in Nigeria, people defect from one party to another, but the cause for concern is the volume of what people say about individuals that have nothing to do with the main cause of the defection. We all know what is happening in this country today; why some people are defecting, which I might not be able to say in the public, but people can deduce. And you know people will always look for their own reasons to add and they would look for another person to be painted black.

The day Akpabio defected to the APC, the EFCC froze the accounts of Akwa Ibom State government. Lawyers and many people condemned the act, especially when the same thing happened in Benue State after Governor Samuel Ortom left the ruling party for the PDP. What is your take on that action?

If such things continue to happen in this country, we are turning Nigeria into a very lawless society. It is an extreme breakdown of law and order that an agency of the Federal Government would impound the account of a state government and the banks would obey that and this is a government that is preaching about corruption. That is an aspect of corruption; that EFCC could illegally impound an account of a state government and everybody would just keep quiet. Today, it could be Benue and Akwa Ibom, another day, it could be any other state and it means any other person in power can also do the same thing. Let’s also look at it; I was talking about selfish service; the same people you are referring to now are the people that part of their negotiation is to clamp down on the account of 6.2 million people; the masses. An orphan is there, a widow is there, a widower is there and a beggar is there. Somebody who is dying on the hospital bed is there. So, you clamp down on 6.2 million people and then you think that is the best way to play politics? No man should play God as part of negotiation. There are certain things that we do and we don’t know the repercussion tomorrow. What if somebody dies due to what the money in that account could have done, and maybe security agencies that are supposed to protect the people could not mobilise due to lack of logistics. Then, imagine what that could lead to. The issue here is not just about Akwa Ibom, it’s about Nigeria. There is no democracy anywhere in the world without rule of law. So, any agency of the Federal Government cannot be so lawless, where an individual can just pick up a phone and call a chairman of an agency and the person would close the account of a state government. Common! This is Nigeria, and I’m surprised the press didn’t shout about this. Civil society organisations should shout, because it’s an infringement on the fundamental of democracy in Nigeria, not about Akwa Ibom. If we don’t stand up to defend this democracy that we want, I don’t know, but I rest my case on that.

https://punchng.com/why-i-wasnt-surprised-by-akpabios-defection-emmanuel-akwa-ibom-governor/
simple English most degree holders in Nigeria don't always understand.
Well, Udo we are behind you, Godswill Akpabio can't play his gods' role political drama on our head.
God is with you and the good people of Akwa Ibom State are behind you.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by kinguwem: 1:14pm On Sep 01, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
who are the we?
speak for yourself madam.
I'm akwa ibomite and we're all tired of pdp dictatorship and tyranny in the state.
come 2019 Udom is going home.
apc ti take over.
So who in APC will take over from Udom? Akpabio is the King of the Annangs. His brand of politics is obsolete. Neither Udoedeghe nor Umana will be the Governor of Akwa Ibom. Akwa Ibomites need jobs, security & progress. Enough of political thuggery & wastage of resources.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Wizteaser: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2018
Akpabio is joking with an economist. A true professional in politics not a professional politician like Akpabio.

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by AbuEzeFemi(m): 2:31pm On Sep 01, 2018
Dakkada

Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by gladisa7: 3:34pm On Sep 01, 2018
myproperty:

Whatever you call them, their state keep improving with focus leaders

Akpabio focus leader? With no.1 federal alocation out of the 36 states?
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by UBACHE: 3:35pm On Sep 01, 2018
O! HEAVENLY HOST.....pray for us
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Kjking(m): 6:56pm On Sep 01, 2018
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
we akwa ibomites will send u packing come 2019.
we need a change in our dear state.
apc ti take over
Sorry which akwaibomite mbok nda ye udom!!! myself, family and friends are for udom
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Kjking(m): 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2018
OfficialSam:

If truly you are in FCT, then you need to come back to Akwa Ibom. Only then you will understand that Udom is just a lousy governor.

I just read about Youth Empowerment on your frivolous article. My brother, 200 youths were deceived by Udom's led administration into a sham that never existed in the name of Power Sector Training. So needless to say I'm a 'propagandist' according to the governor. I was one of them; so I'm talking from experience. We were deceived and battered for the sake of publicity.

Udom Emmanuel talks more than a parrot, he has not done much for the state. Forget about the Industrialisation brouhaha.
erm... sorry unkuu, is it the same state that im in?? in the first four years of Akpabio did he complete all he promise to do so why are you taking the pain of an unfortunate situation that befell you to make a hasty generalization on a mans four years performance, a man with a clear and visible vision with which he is running with abi are you so blind that you cant at keast see work in progress in almost every senatorial district in Akwa ibom?? must your judgement be clouded by sentiment?? im an akwa ibomite, i live in akwa ibom, and i can say truely that udom is working!!! Yes he's got vision, but it takes time to materials... We are talking of industrialization here. Which government in the world have you seen that industrialised a country in less than four years i stand with Udom!! ayam not a party person
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by myproperty(m): 8:08pm On Sep 01, 2018
gladisa7:

Akpabio focus leader? With no.1 federal alocation out of the 36 states?

Before Akwa-ibom became number one as per federal allocation what did the state that was number one did within the same period
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by bixton(m): 8:35pm On Sep 01, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Published September 1, 2018 on Punch Newspap

The Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, in this interview with TUNDE AJAJA speaks on the recent political developments in the state and his plan for people of the state as he declares his intention to seek re-election in the 2019 governorship election

You recently declared your intention to seek re-election as the governor of Akwa Ibom State in the 2019 election; what are the things that should make the people of Akwa Ibom vote for you again?

In all sectors of the economy, the question anybody would ask is who could have done it better? That is one. The second one is that in the face of the worst recession ever in this country, which was in 2016 and part of 2017, a governor could pull numerous projects through, and despite the challenges in the country, a governor was able to commit investors to bring money into the same economy going through recession. At that time, it would ordinarily take you almost 10 times the efforts it used to take you before to convince one investor to bring one dollar to Nigeria, but we were able to. So, I think it is highly commendable that we did all that and Akwa Ibom people appreciate it. Beyond that, in 2016, there were a number of months that our allocation really dwindled and could barely meet our first line charges, but in the face of that, we were paying salaries, pension and allowances and we didn’t owe anybody. When we came into office, even the local government gratuity that was being owed from 2003, we paid them. If you look beyond that and we start taking sector by sector, there are evidences of the much we have done in all the sectors.

Some of your critics, especially the opposition, believe that you have not done as much as you want people to believe. Could you tell us the specific things you have done in the different sectors?

In the education sector, for example, I pay West African Senior School Certificate Examination fees every year for our students, and while some states are retrenching, I’m still recruiting teachers. The first batch of recruitment was 1,500 and the second batch is also 1,500. So, the question is; how many states actually did these, vis-a-vis when there was so much money in the system? Our public schools are representing Nigeria in Sweden now in some SMART competitions. When the Peoples Democratic Party government (led by former President Goodluck Jonathan) handed over, a US dollar was N186, unlike today that we get it at about N365. At that time, a Toyota Corolla was going for N3.4m, but now, the same car is over N19m. So, now, we have hyperinflation, with a reduced income and real value of money in people’s hands, which is like a double whammy. But, in the face of these, a governor is able to pull through and is running a government as if nothing had happened. Don’t mind what the propagandists are putting on the social media. Right now, we have intervened in the local government system and it can only take a magician to do much more in that area than we have done. In agriculture, we have done a lot too. When we took over government, two cups of garri (cassava flakes) was going for N200, but with collaboration with the farmers and government intervention, today, 13 cups of the that same gaari go for that same N200. People are beginning to see effect of the green house initiative that we introduced. In the past, there was a period you wouldn’t find vegetable to buy in the market because of rain, but with the green house initiative, the essence is for us to have daily needs available at any point in time at affordable cost. Also, the rice we are growing today in one of the local government areas, even though we are still on a test run, you need to see the quality of the rice we are producing, or is it our cocoa plantation that you want to talk about, where the yield has really improved over time and we have had to bring a fertiliser blending plant. So, in terms of agric, we have done a whole lot, and we now see youths going into farming, because we created appropriate pricing of farm produce in order to encourage farmers and have more people engaged in these activities.

There was also a report that in terms of infrastructure, there is not much to show. Could you tell us your achievement in that sector?

If you go to infrastructure, I stand to be challenged anywhere that despite the recession, we did 1,700km of roads, and some have been completed and inaugurated while some are in advanced stage of construction. And some of these roads are dualised into six lanes; some are even the so-called federal roads. These are things anyone visiting Akwa Ibom would see; to tell you that we are not just talking. Then, the seaport and the logistics centre in the state were things only on papers for a very long time. The very first time to move beyond the first stage was under this government and we are at the last stage now in the Ibom Deep Seaport. These are visible evidences of a well focused, transparent, resourceful and well managed government that can compete anywhere with the best practices in the world. Let me also tell you that in terms of health care system, the secondary health care system was completely dead, but we have now revived it and we now have paperless (digital) general hospital. As of today, we got the report that the number of patients in our teaching hospital has reduced drastically, because we have revived them. We have brought in over 26 containers of equipment to equip our hospitals with modern facilities and our target is to bring in 100; the other containers are on the sea and we will clear them very soon. In terms of social services and youth empowerment, we have done so much and it remains one of the areas we pride ourselves in. We have begun constructing modern sports centres and facilities in all the 10 federal constituencies of the state, so we could raise champions. We engage the youths, under our youth skill acquisition programme called AKEET. These are things we are doing that are touching the lives of people. We promised our youths that as we continue, we will change their situation from begging for a living to earning a living and these are improvements that we have made in all ramifications. And what then do you call dividends of democracy?

Some people are saying your predecessor did a lot on infrastructure than you did, but that…

(Cuts in…) Let me say something here. When people do comparison, look at the depth of understanding of those people doing the comparison. Even in financial reporting, there is what we call year-on-year. First, you can’t compare three years [/b]with eight years and when you compare, there should be a common denominator.[b] It’s simple; compute how much we have collected in three years and factor in the exchange rate of N365 to a dollar, not forgetting the rate of inflation now and the fact that at some point, dollar rose to N495 and the price of bitumen went up six times, yet we did a lot of transactions. Then, compare that to their eight years when dollar was about N161.7 on the average. With that, you would get a reasonable comparison of who had done much, bearing in mind the number of years of eight to three. There is no intelligence in what whoever did that comparison did. You see, they want to keep dragging us there and we don’t want to, but if we are allowed to go there, we can bring out the hard fact and the people would be surprised. Our own is forward never backward never.

There were also reservations expressed about your industrialisation programmes. What have you done in that regard?

That was the same thing they said about it, until we made a documentary and showed it on the television. Today, that has silenced them. Let them continue with mischief and propaganda, while we continue with the development of the state; empowering people and building the economy of the state. Industrialisation was the bedrock of our campaign, and as difficult as it was to convince anyone to bring one dollar, when we took over power, toothpick and pencil were being imported from China, but today, the toothpick and pencils we are using are produced in Akwa Ibom. Fertiliser blending, the first of its kind, is also in this Akwa Ibom. The largest syringe manufacturing factory is in Akwa Ibom. The flour mill that is most modern is in Akwa Ibom. Our state realises the economic value of crude coconut oil and we have 11,000 hectares for that, and we are building a coconut oil refinery and that same facility will refine palm kernel oil. We are building a modern plywood factory, such that we can easily export them and we are about growing bamboo to be processed for the textile industry. These are some of the things we are doing, and that is not all. There is no government in Nigeria today that can boast of something better than we have done. And our people are excited as well as appreciating this. In terms of security, we have also done a lot and that was the reason why when we did the declaration on Friday, last week, people showed that sense of loyalty and solidarity. The number of people at the stadium answered the question and it showed they are ready to support us in the coming election. It is also because we have humility in service, transparency, best practices, integrity and character in service and people are beginning to appreciate that there could be governance that gives hope. We are not just preparing our people for the future; we are also preparing the future for them. At our airport, we are constructing the second runway. So, all the three major gateways to our industrialisation; water (deep seaport), air (the airport) and road (massive road construction) are receiving huge attention. We came in with a blueprint that we are implementing and that is why people are saying that if we have done this much, we need a second term to do more. Basically, what we are doing is to build a solid economy for our people so that the political structure can run peacefully. It’s only mischief makers that would say you have not done well, and I’m glad you mentioned opponent because night and darkness do not go together. Propaganda and development can never go hand in hand. These are infrastructural projects that are visible; not abstract. In terms of the quality and the length of road that we have constructed, no government, since the creation of this state, has in one day inaugurated 28 internal roads. Ask people who are from here, they will tell you. We don’t take issues with people who do not see anything good in things that are good.

Now that you claim to have done this much in less than four years, people might ask what your plans are for this next tenure, if the people of Akwa Ibom decide to give you the mandate?

I came into government with a clear five-point agenda, which are all clearly stated; job creation, poverty alleviation, wealth creation, economic and political inclusion and infrastructural consolidation and expansion. I told them at the declaration that in the first term, we are to sustain superior performance, while in the second tenure, we are to surpass superior performance. In clear terms, you can never finish work on any of those five points in four years; it is after eight years you would see the impact. Even as a country, you can’t finish those five in four years; work on them must continue, and things would be at an unprecedented level after the eight years.

Your state has been in the news recently, following the defection of your predecessor, Senator Godswill Akpabio, to the ruling party. Some people saw it coming while some were caught unawares. For you, what was your initial reaction when it happened?

None of the above, I mean in the options you provided. I didn’t see it coming and it wasn’t a great surprise. You see, we are a well trained people and trained minds don’t reason like untrained minds. If you are a trained mind, the unexpected are expected to happen at an unexpected time. However, what you do as a trained mind at that point in time is what matters most. And you could see at this period that we are calm and we are not bothered about it. No cause for alarm. Everywhere in the world, not only in Akwa Ibom or in Nigeria, people defect from one party to another, but the cause for concern is the volume of what people say about individuals that have nothing to do with the main cause of the defection. We all know what is happening in this country today; why some people are defecting, which I might not be able to say in the public, but people can deduce. And you know people will always look for their own reasons to add and they would look for another person to be painted black.

The day Akpabio defected to the APC, the EFCC froze the accounts of Akwa Ibom State government. Lawyers and many people condemned the act, especially when the same thing happened in Benue State after Governor Samuel Ortom left the ruling party for the PDP. What is your take on that action?

If such things continue to happen in this country, we are turning Nigeria into a very lawless society. It is an extreme breakdown of law and order that an agency of the Federal Government would impound the account of a state government and the banks would obey that and this is a government that is preaching about corruption. That is an aspect of corruption; that EFCC could illegally impound an account of a state government and everybody would just keep quiet. Today, it could be Benue and Akwa Ibom, another day, it could be any other state and it means any other person in power can also do the same thing. Let’s also look at it; I was talking about selfish service; the same people you are referring to now are the people that part of their negotiation is to clamp down on the account of 6.2 million people; the masses. An orphan is there, a widow is there, a widower is there and a beggar is there. Somebody who is dying on the hospital bed is there. So, you clamp down on 6.2 million people and then you think that is the best way to play politics? No man should play God as part of negotiation. There are certain things that we do and we don’t know the repercussion tomorrow. What if somebody dies due to what the money in that account could have done, and maybe security agencies that are supposed to protect the people could not mobilise due to lack of logistics. Then, imagine what that could lead to. The issue here is not just about Akwa Ibom, it’s about Nigeria. There is no democracy anywhere in the world without rule of law. So, any agency of the Federal Government cannot be so lawless, where an individual can just pick up a phone and call a chairman of an agency and the person would close the account of a state government. Common! This is Nigeria, and I’m surprised the press didn’t shout about this. Civil society organisations should shout, because it’s an infringement on the fundamental of democracy in Nigeria, not about Akwa Ibom. If we don’t stand up to defend this democracy that we want, I don’t know, but I rest my case on that.

https://punchng.com/why-i-wasnt-surprised-by-akpabios-defection-emmanuel-akwa-ibom-governor/

I just like the bolded and he keeps emphasizing on it.
He just intelligently says the basis for the shortfall in development strides is the inflation and forex.

I guess the wailers won't let PMB pass onthe above for his 3 years in office since he's being blamed for the high forex.

PDP enjoyed uninterrupted 16 years.
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2018
Kjking:
Sorry which akwaibomite mbok nda ye udom!!! myself, family and friends are for udom
you won't know cos you're are not from akwa ibom. speaking akwa ibom language doesn't prove you're akwa ibomite. probably you're igbo who learnt it during your visit to the state due to the influx of the developers in akwa ibom.
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by OfficialSam(m): 12:41am On Sep 02, 2018
Kjking:
erm... sorry unkuu, is it the same state that im in?? in the first four years of Akpabio did he complete all he promise to do so why are you taking the pain of an unfortunate situation that befell you to make a hasty generalization on a mans four years performance, a man with a clear and visible vision with which he is running with abi are you so blind that you cant at keast see work in progress in almost every senatorial district in Akwa ibom?? must your judgement be clouded by sentiment?? im an akwa ibomite, i live in akwa ibom, and i can say truely that udom is working!!! Yes he's got vision, but it takes time to materials... We are talking of industrialization here. Which government in the world have you seen that industrialised a country in less than four years i stand with Udom!! ayam not a party person

I wanted calling you a fool, but I have to refrain from that. Obviously your deficiency in terms of intellect could not deduce anything from what I meant. I'm talking about a training which was a sham, without a soft landing and you are here spewing rubbish.

Who is sentimental here? You should be ashamed of yourself. You claim to be an Akwa Ibomite with a low IQ.

A FOOLISH AKWA IBOMITE AT THAT, I GUESS YOU ARE FROM IKONO.
Re: Why I Wasn't Surprised By Akpabio's Defection -Udom Emmanuel  (PUNCH) by Kjking(m): 7:10am On Sep 02, 2018
OfficialSam:

I wanted calling you a fool, but I have to refrain from that. Obviously your deficiency in terms of intellect could not deduce anything from what I meant. I'm talking about a training which was a sham, without a soft landing and you are here spewing rubbish.

Who is sentimental here? You should be ashamed of yourself. You claim to be an Akwa Ibomite with a low IQ.

A FOOLISH AKWA IBOMITE AT THAT, I GUESS YOU ARE FROM IKONO.
And you think comparing a 8year rule to a four year rule make you the most brilliant and smartness one?? i would have called you a smart fool, but then it will be a waste of abuse

Defections: APC Is A Highly Unprincipled Party — Itse Sagay / El-Rufai Urges To FG Declare Bandits As Terrorists / 2023 Presidential Convention: Why PDP May Settle For Wike, Mohammed, Others

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131