Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:29 AM

The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) (988 Views)

The Problems Of Lack Of Sexual Purity Before Marriage. / Mosaic Floors From 1500-Yr-Old Lost Church Of The Apostles Found In Israel (Pics / Book Of Acts (Learn from the Apostles & the early church) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by GDex1(m): 7:31am On Sep 02, 2018
The Apostles' creed has been widely accepted as well as read in many christian denominations as an affirmation of that which we believe as Christians.
However, i stumbled on it today an carefully reading through the lines, i observed quite some serious problems which are difficult to see.
Below are the lines of the Apostles' Creed.

" I believe in God the Father, maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord, who was conceived of the Holy Ghost; born of the Virgin Mary; Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and buried; He descended into hell, the third day he rose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty, from there He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit; the Holy Catholic Church; the communion of Saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen"

THE PROBLEMS:

1. Jesus is the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON of the Father and not His only son. As a matter of fact, God has many sons.

2. The creed does not in any way suggest the pre-earthly existence of Christ.

3. The reason why Jesus had to die was to pay the ultimate sacrifice for man's sin with His blood. This however was never mentioned. Rather the creed presented His death as a case of martyrdom.

4. The creed seem to be directly accusing as well as criminalizing Pontius Pilate as being the murderer of Jesus, thus negating the fact that the agony and death of Christ were all divinely orchestrated.

5. It is not just enough to claim to believe in the Holy Spirit. Who do you say He is?

6. What is this HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH you affirm to believe in?

1 Like

Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by Shelumiel: 7:36am On Sep 02, 2018
To every man his own view . Next!
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by MahatmaGhandi: 7:51am On Sep 02, 2018
Shelumiel:
To every man his own view . Next!

There is a difference between the holy catholic church and Roman Catholic church .
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 8:00am On Sep 02, 2018
The holy catholic church signifies the "church universally" the word catholic means universal or wide variety
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by GDex1(m): 8:20am On Sep 02, 2018
PhenomenalMorgan:
The holy catholic church signifies the "church universally" the word catholic means universal or wide variety
i don't want to sound to doubt what you just said. But if you have the creed in your native language, you will understand you are not wholly correct in this case.
Mine reads:
"na nzuko katolik nke di nso"
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by StillX10(m): 8:33am On Sep 02, 2018
you make some sense

1 Like

Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by Andy2274: 10:59am On Sep 02, 2018
Firstly, it is the LIVING and the dead not QUICK and the dead as written by you. If you are a catholic or you have access to a priest, you can get a complete book on the apostles creed. I also advice that you check the meaning of the CREED as said in the Catholic Church. Below is the Creed which is said in catholic church...............I BELIEVE IN ONE GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR(some use MAKER) OF HEAVEN AND EARTH, OF ALL THINGS VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE. I BELIEVE IN ONE LORD JESUS CHRIST, THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD, BORN OF THE FATHER BEFORE ALL AGES. GOD FROM GOD, LIGHT FROM LIGHT, TRUE GOD FROM TRUE GOD,BEGOTTEN, NOT MADE CONSUBSTANTIAL(some places you find TOGETHER) WITH THE FATHER. THROUGH HIM ALL THINGS WERE MADE. FOR US MEN AND FOR OUR SALVATION HE CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN AND BY THE(some places you find BY THE POWER) HOLY SPIRIT WAS INCARNATE OF THE VIRGIN MARY AND BECAME MAN. FOR OUR SAKE HE WAS CRUCIFIED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE, HE SUFFERED DEATH AND WAS BURIED AND ROSE AGAIN ON THE THIRD DAY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SCRIPTURES( some places you find AS THE SCRIPTURES HAS FORETOLD). HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN AND IS SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER. HE WILL COME AGAIN IN GLORY TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD AND HIS KINGDOM WILL HAVE NO END. I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE LORD, THE GIVER OF LIFE, WHO PROCEEDS FROM THE FATHER AND THE SON, WHO WITH THE FATHER AND THE SON IS ADORED AND GLORIFIED, WHO HAS SPOKEN THROUGH THE PROPHETS. I BELIEVE IN ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH. I CONFESS ONE BAPTISM FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD AND THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME. AMEN. Check catholiconline.com
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by modaink333: 11:07am On Sep 02, 2018
Op e wu idiot
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by GDex1(m): 2:55pm On Sep 02, 2018
Andy2274:
Firstly, it is the LIVING and the dead not QUICK and the dead as written by you. If you are a catholic or you have access to a priest, you can get a complete book on the apostles creed. I also advice that you check the meaning of the CREED as said in the Catholic Church. Below is the Creed which is said in catholic church...............I BELIEVE IN ONE GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR(some use MAKER) OF HEAVEN AND EARTH, OF ALL THINGS VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE. I BELIEVE IN ONE LORD JESUS CHRIST, THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD, BORN OF THE FATHER BEFORE ALL AGES. GOD FROM GOD, LIGHT FROM LIGHT, TRUE GOD FROM TRUE GOD,BEGOTTEN, NOT MADE CONSUBSTANTIAL(some places you find TOGETHER) WITH THE FATHER. THROUGH HIM ALL THINGS WERE MADE. FOR US MEN AND FOR OUR SALVATION HE CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN AND BY THE(some places you find BY THE POWER) HOLY SPIRIT WAS INCARNATE OF THE VIRGIN MARY AND BECAME MAN. FOR OUR SAKE HE WAS CRUCIFIED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE, HE SUFFERED DEATH AND WAS BURIED AND ROSE AGAIN ON THE THIRD DAY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SCRIPTURES( some places you find AS THE SCRIPTURES HAS FORETOLD). HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN AND IS SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER. HE WILL COME AGAIN IN GLORY TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD AND HIS KINGDOM WILL HAVE NO END. I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE LORD, THE GIVER OF LIFE, WHO PROCEEDS FROM THE FATHER AND THE SON, WHO WITH THE FATHER AND THE SON IS ADORED AND GLORIFIED, WHO HAS SPOKEN THROUGH THE PROPHETS. I BELIEVE IN ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH. I CONFESS ONE BAPTISM FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD AND THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME. AMEN. Check catholiconline.com
This is actually my first time of seeing this particular version. I think this is actually a better and all-encompassing version. This is good.

1 Like

Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by GDex1(m): 2:56pm On Sep 02, 2018
modaink333:
Op e wu idiot
Who is this empty brain?
Re: The Problems With The Apostles' Creed (symbolum Apostolicum) by Andy2274: 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2018
GDex1:
This is actually my first time of seeing this particular version. I think this is actually a better and all-encompassing version. This is good.
. This is the one widely use during mass. The one you posted was from this one. The one you wrote was written when they were singing the apostles creed as song. People wrote it to suit the song or rhyme with the song thereby omitting some parts but when the church discovered that alot of words and parts has been omitted by people as a result of the song, the pope now encouraged the church to recite it during mass instead of singing it as song

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Prophet Or Need A Prophet: Come In / See How Prophet Odumeje Was Welcome By Late Tb Joshua's Wife That Got People Tal / The Interpretation Of The Dream Of When Sand Is Being Pour On Someone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.