Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) (965 Views)

Get New Android Phones As Low As 3k..itz Xmas..we Giving Out! / What Is Your View Of The Airtime Advance Or Credit Services Offered By Mobile Op / How To Connect China Phones As A Modem On Ur Pc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by demmy(m): 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2005
Phones That Double As Credit Card

"In the beginning, the cell phone was a phone -- handy for making calls but little else. Then manufacturers added cameras, e-mail, music, and even television to their phones, making the gadgets an essential part of daily routines.

"Now, Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo Inc. wants to entrench the once-humble cell phone even deeper into consumer lifestyles by turning it into an electronic wallet. After introducing handsets last year that double as debit cards -- allowing users to pay for small purchases such as soda or coffee from vending machines and convenience stores -- the company this year plans to make those phones full-fledged credit cards."

Culled from BusinessWeek (click here to read).
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by whizkid(f): 4:56pm On Jun 14, 2005
Coincidentally, I read that article last week and I thought the move by DoMoCo inc. to introduce a phone that doubles has a credit card is quite innovative. Already the japanese market is congested, every Japenese has at least a cellphone but with this innovation, the company is going to tap into the market before other phone companies and increase their earnings. The only fear is that when your phone is stolen, people can have access to using your credit but they say the advantages will eventually outweigh the disadvantages. Moreso you can notify them immediately so that they can disable it.
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by diakim(m): 6:56pm On Jun 14, 2005
I've read about this before. I think it is a new innovation in mobile technology.

The problem is that we can't enjoy this yet in Nigeria as our society is still a cash based economy.
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by whizkid(f): 8:59am On Jun 15, 2005
That is correct Diakim, The technology will do well in a cashless economy but who knows with the introduction of MasterCard by STB and some other banks maybe the Nigerian economy would go cashless someday and the phone will come in handy.
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by Seun(m): 9:27am On Jun 15, 2005
The link to the article in question is:
- http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_23/b3936060.htm

This has been added to the first post.
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by Dclique(m): 6:08pm On Nov 10, 2008
. The only fear is that when your phone is stolen, people can have access to using your credit
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by BossTtdiamonds(m): 10:19pm On Nov 10, 2008
And all ur money would be used up. . . . . . That's all. .
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by BossTtdiamonds(m): 10:20pm On Nov 10, 2008
And all ur money would be used up. . . . . . That's all.that 'll happen aiight. .
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by logica(m): 9:54am On Nov 11, 2008
there have been frameworks which use GSM cellphones as payment implements from as far back as I can remember. I remember being contacted by a company in SA in 2001 about their product that does exactly that. this is not new.
Re: Phones as Electronic Wallets (debit or credit cards) by BossTtdiamonds(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2008
Yeah. . . . I found out 'bout mine in 2003. . . . . . When I was watchin' one f.uckin' documentary. . . . .

(1) (Reply)

Is The Vmobile Gprs Service Restricted To Lagos? / I Need A New Motorola L7e / Re: Celtel Gprs Settings!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.