Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews (690 Views)

Top Things Not Required During Interviews. / 5 Major Ways To Get Ahead Of Your Interviewer During Interviews / Top 15 Interview Questions And Answers That Candidates Fails During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 03, 2018
My diction is quite great, I've got the right words in my head, but the nerves seem to be my greatest undoing, they creep inside me and my voice becomes shaky, esp when answering the 'can we meet you question'
I know there are lots of Nairalanders with vast interview experience, I need help sad

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 11:47pm On Sep 17, 2018
HaileSelassie:
My diction is quite great, I've got the right words in my head, but the nerves seem to be my greatest undoing, they creep inside me and my voice becomes shaky, esp when answering the 'can we meet you question'
I know there are lots of Nairalanders with vast interview experience, I need help sad
Hi, wonder why no one answered this. I am here because I saw ur post about many trials, getting depressed and all! Not leaving the tsunami inside you and expressing it even on such an open forum is strength in itself. Please and please to give up should not be ur thing, not now not ever. I will share with you a couple of random things as they come to my head. First of, sorry you had to deal with betrayal one of the things that breaks us and make us die inside is being betrayed by those we trusted, something dies inside. Also dealing with multiple rejections isn't easy. But you are still here aren't you? There is a reason.

I like to play video games, just simple games tho, I kind of stopped for some time and recently when I resumed I realized that I never seem to give up on a difficult stage, I tell myself I must scale it I also realise to scale I must not do what I want did before again I have to change tactics or I will keep failing that stage, and I keep at it till I scale of course there are moments I will take a break and let it be and return to it again and I just realized I pretty much live life that way, I keep at some matters which others would give up on at the first try. Sometimes I stop and try again.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 11:52pm On Sep 17, 2018
I will be interviewing for a job I tried in 2014 this week too, and I sure have gotten a whole lot more experience compared to that year I am also sure I will be more confident this time. So here are a few tips to help u some I am sure u already know. First of brother understand that the human beings that will interview u are just that, human beings. They need air like you, the poo like you. Lolz! Even if a white man is on the panel he too gets depressed with life like you. They are not from Mars yeah.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 12:04am On Sep 18, 2018
You do have good diction. So I believe any written interview you can scale. So some points that can help you.

Dress well to ur interview. Stick to formal workplace dressing. When you are well dresses you have a boost of confidence.

Know the company. Know some things about them and the position you are applying for.

Some idiots don't deserve the job they get they have no experience and are olodos but they know the art of talking and can sell themselves, introverts may do better at a written interview, and not so well at the oral even though they can deliver on the job, so know thyself. Irrespective which ever you are do practice the common interview questions by answering in front of a mirror.

One of the people asking u questions will likely be friendly to an extent, do look at them often as you speak.

When talking about yourself often the first question. You can smile not like ur doing close up advert o! Lolz! Smile small and say something like My name is, a graduate of.... I have experience working as.... Talk abt ur trail of employment from after school to most recent, you can end with and here I am interviewing for this position with the hope of being part of your team to grow and actualize ur company's mission and gaining a different kind of experience for myself. Everything about urself had to be professional stuff.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 12:10am On Sep 18, 2018
You say you workout right? So practice calming ur body, you must be relaxed. A tensed body will affect what is coming out of your mouth your interview is a conversation, they are not trying to trap you with a question.

Be aware of current issues around you. An interviewer could ask you recent news happenings.

There are some answers you must carry in ur head. e.g 3 strong points about ur person. Like creative, persistent and hungers for growth. Depends on what u know are ur own strengths.

If you don't understand a question, do say you are not quite clear in what context is the question being asked.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 12:20am On Sep 18, 2018
They are human beings. Remember that again. So your voice should not be shaky. Take a few seconds to gather your thoughts before responding to a question that needs you to think.

I do hope the jobs u are applying closely match ur skills and are jobs u really interested in. Because when u get into some companies u will hate getting up in the morning to go to work you don't want that. If you interview for a job that matches ur skills and u really want it not just for pay, u will find the interviews easier.

Also think of on the job based questions. Job scenario related.

In the end its up to you. I would also suggest to you that sometimes to get paid work you have to do unpaid. If u can freely intern or volunteer with any organization in the area of a job you know u will love then write them and see. You keep knocking on doors u'll be surprised who will open.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 12:26am On Sep 18, 2018
Fight depression by positive affirmations. Some people may think it's useless but overtime ur positive affirmations become who u are and what u believe! It has worked for me. I am hardly negative abt anything nor let anything weigh me down, a new day will always come and with it lots of possibilities.

Also give, gather people and equally train them in excersing for free and see how fulfilled u'll be, u'll be surprised how many people need a push to exercise myself included.

You seem to write well too, what are u doing with that skill. Are u looking our for writing competitions, can u write an ebook and sell on Amazon, which isn't so hard. You can write for people too. I just mean sometimes we thinking too much abt formal work we forget our own potentials.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 12:34am On Sep 18, 2018
Office politics will always be there. Hope u are smarter now. Those we think are close can betray us, desert us, but there are equally great people out there with good hearts. There are people I have not met in real life only met through Nairaland and I still think are good and trustworthy as we have even had money related transactions. Efewerstern and Bobby are good examples.

I dnt think I have more to say. My battery wan die sef. But keep at it, agree that life is ups and down. Life is nit really that hard, it's hard because of how we respond to it. Peace out.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Mizwisdom(f): 2:59am On Sep 18, 2018
HaileSelassie:

Seems like a case of social anxiety. Read good books, form positive relationships, and always plan and prepare yourself adequately before going for your interview

Need books?
contact me via orderbooksng@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2018
Hi BrightGem, thanks for taking out time to reach out!!!
Words can't express how motivated I feel after reading your comments..will always reference this page. God bless you!!
Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by Brightgem(f): 3:46pm On Sep 18, 2018
HaileSelassie:
Hi BrightGem, thanks for taking out time to reach out!!!
Words can't express how motivated I feel after reading your comments..will always reference this page. God bless you!!
you are most welcome and God bless you too.
Re: How Can I Calm My Nerves During Interviews by solelymade: 4:12pm On Sep 18, 2018
HaileSelassie:

What fear and anxiety does to one, is not little at all? Find out which of the two is the problem.
I had this same issue too, but I overcame by relaxing my muscles after I realised the major issue was that I was too anxious of Aceing the interview and be hired. This anxiety made me feel in my head I have better competitors for job positions and I must outdo whatever they bring to offer the employer.
This made me want to use words to describe I could use a stone to kill 2000 birds on different trees at a sling. Interestingly, when the first question is thrown at me, I find it difficult to pull my words together, become incoherent, and this sets panic in of not at least impressing the interviewer because I can come across as not being confident.
Simple solution after I looked stupid at some interview, I decided that I would not care to impress and I am not in competition with others but I am in competition with myself to be a better me. Now, when I arrive at the venue of an oral interview, I relax by talking with other invitees, have a friendly chat, don't get anxious about what is happening inside to those called in before you.
When I am called in, I walk in with a smile on my face as I greet the interviewers, take a great smile as I receive the first question. Say my name with a passion, funny though I love my name now than I did before. That sets the tone for a good interview , it's a conversation or better still a chat.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Computer Operator In Ilorin / A Baker And A Marketer Needed / Guaranty Trust Bank {GTB} Graduate Tech Academy Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.