Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,064 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (53883 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 6:58pm On Jul 08, 2010
Hi guys!

I've checked out ogre3d and it's cool. I don't know if it works with dev cpp cuz I haven't seen any info on installing it. I've tried downloading visual c++ from the dreamsparks website twice now but I'm having problems with it. Each time, I've had to pause a lot cuz of PHCN but it stops downloading and I have to start all over again. It's a two gig file which makes it even worse. Anyways, I'll check out the tutorials to see how fast I can learn to use it. No matter, I'll contribute where I can in whatever aspect.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 8:21pm On Jul 08, 2010
@gameaddict

i dont think it ogre works with dev cpp, google up visual c++ express edition to download the installer thats about 3MB. The installer downloads the software which is about 1OOMB. Am still trying to get my head around Ogre. You didnt mention which storyline you would like us to use.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:15pm On Jul 08, 2010
Thanks. I thought it was better to download the pro version since it was free for students. I'm downloading the express one now.

I found a tutorial on zbrush, used it to make a head in sculptris. I heard they can't be animated for games. Too bad.

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by Maximip(m): 9:57pm On Jul 08, 2010
@ Gameaddict, Worldbest

I'll still stick to a much more simpler game, maybe 3D-like 2D if you've ever seen Abe's oddessy on PS1. That type of
graphics but a much much more simpler game like Plant vs Zombie. Maybe initially just to prove your concepts of what
you think you know and a much smaller team like 2 programmer, 2 graphic artist and 1 sound.

what do you think?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2010
@ maximip: cool idea! I just checked out a video of the game. Loved the way the puzzles were implemented. Especially those aspects where you could either possess or fool your enemies into doing something. THAT ROCKS! Since we've gotten a basic outline of the game, We should start discussing the steps involved in each level. How many enemy encounters, creating puzzles that are fun to solve etc.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 11:23pm On Jul 08, 2010
@Maximip

Cool, i just played the demo. Its a really interesting game. If everyone agrees, then we shall look towards that kind of game. Thanks alot

@Everyone.

Do you think we should go the 2D way like the the Plant and Zombie type? Lets know what you think.

@GameAddict
Nice, you are so better than i, You can animate a model from sculptris only if you export it to other packages like 3ds max, maya etc

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:06am On Jul 09, 2010
@ world best: It all depends on what we can easily accomplish regarding time. If we do a full 2d game, we'll have to draw a lot of things like animation frames but other things may be easier. If we go with 3d, we'll have to worry more about lighting and stuff. Another option is making it a 3d platform game just like the abe's oddessy game which reduces the things we have to worry about.

Viewing the ogre demos, COOL!!!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:31am On Jul 09, 2010
I do not see any reason while we should be scared of attempting a real 3D game. I mean we do not have to rush things. We set a task for ourselves and we try to come up with solutions. We may not have the skills/capability but really, have you checked game programming forums to see what basic c++ coders do ,wonderful stuffs? 

Come on. Doing a platform game is as hard as a 3D game. The only difference is the level of complexity.  Even if the only thing you know how to do is collision detection, then you can do great things withe just that.

I say we stick to the plan. If you think otherwise, lets hear you, we cant continue to say "lets do this, no this one is ok, yes nice this is better". The thing about Niaja is that we sometimes to want to venture into "difficult" things.

As for lighting, trust me it aint difficult with OGRE, i have tried it,

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:34am On Jul 09, 2010
Dont understand while the FPS socks on my machine.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 9:07am On Jul 09, 2010
Thank God. The network is now Ok.

I guess am changing my mind on the storyline, I'm going with The mixture of Worlbest and Skotens.

Then after that one is implemented, Like I suggested earlier, I want us to look into an activities that is common to all region of nigeria.

The issue is that of the popular fairly used vehicle(Tokunbo) smuglers(Thanks to them for making it easy for the less privillege people of our country to have access to cars, If not for them, how many car do you think would be in nigeria by now).

So, I suggest we write a game on that.

I'm still composing the storyline proper.

Cheers!!!.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2010
@Big Star
Good to know that your network is now ok. We will ensure that the game is Nigerian. When you are done with your storyline, we'l be happy to discuss it. You know we are using ORGE for the project. I would suggest you get it and begin to learn it.

@Everyone
Since we have 3 out of 5 active people supporting the Worldbest and Skotens story,then its clear that we are going with this story.

I will properly build/merge the stories and have it posted here later tonight to be a assessed. You can also do the same.

Please lets begin to have our OGRE SDK setup and working plus we should also follow the tutorials in the wiki.

cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 7:31pm On Jul 09, 2010
Finally running the first ogre tutorial in debug mode. It gives errors in release mode. Any clues?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 7:43pm On Jul 09, 2010
Found solution. Turn off anti virus! Any work around?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:12pm On Jul 09, 2010
@GA
I haven't tested it on release mode yet. Have you started with the tutorials in the wiki?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 11:45pm On Jul 09, 2010
yeah, I just finished the first one. The engine is kinda tricky! I haven't figured out how to run a project without using the provided framework. I keep getting linker errors. I've decided to download the app wizard. I'll create a project to see if it helps.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by tundebabzy: 12:08am On Jul 10, 2010
guys, if you ask me, i'll say we 'remix' a popular game. that would be easier to show off and will be more fun. what ye think,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 5:07am On Jul 10, 2010
tundebabzy:

guys, if you ask me, i'll say we 'remix' a popular game. that would be easier to show off and will be more fun. what ye think,
That's a good idea, but I guess am not supporting it.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:30am On Jul 10, 2010
@ world best: Could you guide me through making a simple window without the example framework? I used the app wizard to set up an empty project but each time I try debugging, I get lots of errors.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2010
@GA

I also get those annoying link errors. But with the application wizard, the problem is solved . Just create a new project , ctrl shift n, then select the ogre application wizard, when asked the application type please select standard application, not empty project. Click finish and run the newly created project.

Using the app wizard makes it easier to understand the tutorials and get help support quickly from ogre's community.

I am currently playing with fogs and lights. Will post pics later. The engine is really cool

As i know, its only GA and i who are currently playing with the engine. Please, abeg,we should all get it so we can move at same pace. we should always post screenies of what we have done to encourage ourselves and others viewing.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:48pm On Jul 10, 2010
okay, cool!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2010
@Big Star.
Interesting idea you've got. But i dont it will be so nice to revisit the storyline chapter again. Have you downloaded ogre?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2010
@ worldbest and gameaddict wots up?

Have downloaded the OGRE,am working on the tutorial, u guys will need to put me tru smftns on OGRE.Anayway
am still reading the tutorial.Get bck to u guys soon.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:19pm On Jul 10, 2010
I keep getting weird errors. I've posted a question on the ogre forum.

@skoten: You may not have much problems if you're not using windows 7. Also download the app wizard to make things easier.

@ world best: Did you have any problem on the second basic tutorial? I created the plane and lights but only the ninja model appears.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:11pm On Jul 10, 2010
@GA
Post your codes here so i can run it. I only had problems with the tutorial 3. I will b proceeding tho tutorial 4 tommorrow, still have a web project to work on at the moment.

@Skoten: Good to know you have downloaded the SDK. Ask your questions and i we will try to help. Cool

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:16am On Jul 11, 2010
@ world best: I've seen the error. I forgot to attach the ground object to a scene node! Thanks.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 3:34am On Jul 11, 2010
Oh my God! Am still having problem with the installation and configuration of the ogre with Visual C++ express edition am using please Let someone guide me through this.
I put the whole of my nights yesterday and today and yet to get it but,

"I will Always Aspire to Acquire what I Desire even if I Misfire(in the process), I will never Retire, but Always Refire!"
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 7:43am On Jul 11, 2010
@Bigstar
Visit the ogre wiki. Go to http://ogre3d.org, on the sidebar, proceed to the wiki. Click the basic tutorial to see the list of prerequisite to make ogre work well. They are:

1. Ogre SDK. Hope you downloaded the one for your visual studio version.
2. Direct x redistribution. Ogre will not run without this on windows
3. Ogre Application wizard. You will create an Ogre project with this just like you create win32 or console application.It eliminates the headaches of linking.

Just tell me what you have downloaded so far. I will be waiting to help you get started.

off to church.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 7:51am On Jul 11, 2010
@GA: Sweet!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 8:57am On Jul 11, 2010
I just started the directx sdk download. 2hrs 30min to complete the download.

I guess am taking a break leaving the download to complete. Hoping to come back to it later in the day after some rest.

Am happy you guys (worldbest and gameaddict are getting it ). I have no problem. Since you're there for me. Hoping to join you soonest.

Cheers!!!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:16am On Jul 11, 2010
@ Big star: Why are you trying to complile from source? Are you using a linux OS?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 2:54pm On Jul 11, 2010
@ Everyone

am on tutorial 2,

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:12pm On Jul 11, 2010
@skoten

Nice! Take your time and try to add stuffs to your own codes.

@Everyone
We may need to create a custom level editor. That would require some skills in
Win32 application. A currently doing a research on this and asking questions on the forum. All we nee is a simple one that allows us
To quickly create worlds and place stuffs in them.

I like the way we are handling things. Keep it up guys.

Cheers!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.