Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Game Development: Join The Team - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Join The Team (54037 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:16pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Big Star

Am sorry I was unable to pick your call, I was about doing so when the battery went flat. I am writing this from
A friends mobile phone. Hope you are not having problems?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 8:25pm On Jul 11, 2010
@worldbest, I thought as much. I wanted to thank you for the text and quick response. (I like your kind gesture)

My major problem now is that I read this "Create a new Win32 Console Application. When the Win32 Application Wizard opens, click Application Settings. Change the type to a Windows application and select Empty project from the Additional options. Click Finish." online but windows application is disabled on my IDE.

As for the tutorial on http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Installing+the+Ogre+SDK When I tried to run

setx OGRE_HOME D:\OgreSDK\OgreSDK_vc9_v1-7-1 from DOS as instructed, I got error msg "setx is not an internal bla bla" I removed the x and used "set OGRE_HOME D:\OgreSDK\OgreSDK_vc9_v1-7-1" then the report was that

"Enviroment name Ogre_Home not defined". Maybe tomorrow sha.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 11:28pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Big Star

Go to http://code.google.com/p/ogreappwizards/ to download the Ogre App Wizard

- At the right side you will find the Featured Downloads section, select the one that matches your visual c++ version eg. Visual Studio 2008 - http://code.google.com/p/ogreappwizards/downloads/detail?name=Ogre_VC9_Express_AppWizard_1.7.1.exe

- After download, install it.
-Open your visual studio
- Create a new project. In the template section select Ogre Application
- The Ogre Application wizard opens, click next.
- Check Standard application (not Empty project)
- Click finish
-Press F5 to run the project. If everything goes well, you should see an ogre head in scene

Let me know if you any problem.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 12:31pm On Jul 12, 2010
Has anyone done the basic tutorial 5? I'm getting errors from the ExampleFrameListener.h file.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 12:35pm On Jul 12, 2010
@worldbest. Thanks for your support.

I have started the project now, I'll go back to the tutorial for detail explanation.Hope to catch you guys soon.

Oya now,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 1:21pm On Jul 12, 2010
@ big star: How come you had to download directx before you installed yours?

@ Everyone: Which shader technique do you think will suit the game. I don't know anything about programming shaders but celshading does look nice and it's included in the example amongst other cool ones.

If anyone has gone through ex. 5, please inform me on the process. Thanks.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 2:47pm On Jul 12, 2010
@big star

Thats really nice. Thank God.

@GA
I'm also having problems there. I think the tutorial does not comform with the previous chapters. If i cannot figure it our, i will just post my code on thier help forum and await help. As for shaders, i havent even seen the examples just yet. Let me get back to the codes.

@skoten
whats up? Where are you? Hope you r ok,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 3:35pm On Jul 12, 2010
@ world best: okay, cool. I did not compile the samples in the sdk folder. I downloaded the pre-compiled ones and viewed them. Maybe there's a tutorial on ogre shaders somewhere.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2010
Yeah, Am happy. But how did you resolve your linker errors? Some thing like this error message "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'OgreCamera.h':"
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
@ Big star: I don't know the cause of some of the errors but compare your directory layout with what the app wizard specified in the includes. Eg: Sometimes, in mine, it's set as "Ogre/OgreCamera.h" I just remove the ogre so it's OgreCamera.h or the other way round depending on directory structure and what is already specified in the includes.

@ Everyone: I decided to divert my attention a little from the codes to the design and level layout. I'm not very good at art and since I don't have a scanner, I had to paint with my mouse. I just thought we be building things as we go so perhaps, before we finish reading on the tools we'll be using, It'll be easier to code if we know beforehand the sequence of the game amongst others. I'm hoping we'll have a way to do better character and simple level sketches as well as gameplay sketches but for now:

Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2010
@GA

Thats really nice. I like the game flow design, i think thats just the way it should be. About the art, we dont need to worry about that for now, we'll just use placeholders until we are ready to use the real models. Have you gone past the tutorial 5? Not so for me just yet

@Big Star

How did you install the Ogre SDK? Did you use the command prompt? Did you do the setx stuff in the cmd. This one http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Installing+the+Ogre+SDK
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 11:02pm On Jul 12, 2010
I haven't done it. I'll revise the 1 - 4 tomorrow then skip to the 6th one on Wednesday if there's still no solution. The sixth one is on starting up the engine so it doesn't require the files from the 5th one.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by skoten(m): 9:39am On Jul 13, 2010
@ Worldbest & Everyone

Am having problem with my laptop presently but it will be fixed very soon(am using my bro's laptop).Am on tutorial 2,i jst finish tutorial 1,pls jst summarize the tutorial 1 and 2 for me,av also installes the Ogre and AppWizard,whats is the next thing to do pls,i need to move wit the pace of u guys,am impress(no thanks to my damage laptop), am waiting to hear from u(worldbest) and everyone.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 10:02am On Jul 13, 2010
I think 1 and 2 are meant to showcase some of the properties associated with the engine especially the scene manager and nodes. The objects you define and give certain properties are connected with the scene manager and are usually displayed on the screen through attachment to nodes. The examples give different methods of calling certain objects some of which are may be defined by the engine by default unless you choose to define and customize them in which case you have to create functions for them ike in the second one where we had to create view port and camera functions
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by BigStar1(m): 10:42am On Jul 13, 2010
@skoten, I guess U & I are int he same shoe. I started without my laptop(down a month ago) and I was doing fine. Now the PHCN is another treat but, Amagla Awetu, Nothing can stop me.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:06pm On Jul 13, 2010
@Skoten

Sorry about your laptop, i hope you repossess the ability to use it again o. The tutorial 1 and 2 as gameaddict as explained introduces engine, viewpoint,camera,terrain(land), fog,skybox,mouse and keyboard input. They are really interest when you begin to test them and do some custom stuffs. It only gets tougher as you get to the tutorial 5.

@GA
Am still trying to undertand that tutorial 5. It wont be adviceable to just go past that, because what the topic teaches is really important if you want your actors/nodes to move properly with your keyboard and mouse. Today, i will ask for help in the forum if i cannot get my head around it.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:14pm On Jul 13, 2010
@Big star
Same here, the phcn issue is really bad. But i have said that no programmer should blame PHCN for their inability to complete a project, the only thing PHCN affects is just time. As far as you've got the passion and drive like i see you have, we'll get their.

I say we continue to learn the necessary skills to tame the ogre.

Lets go there my fellow pace setters!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 6:53pm On Jul 14, 2010
@Everyone

Its been a while. I am sure we are all busy with the engine. I have succeed in running tutorial 5. I will post my codes later for all to learn from. Am currently drawing up a design for the game. What worries me must is the fact that we still need to make a level editor to place objects in our levels easily, we cant do that by codes( we can but am sure you wont want to mess with x,y,z in a large world).

Lets continue to learn it but please remember to update us on your progress.

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 2:00pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ world best: I still can't run the code. How did you do yours?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:29pm On Jul 16, 2010
@GameAddict

I had to name my project Godsgrace in other to figure that one out, lol

All you need do is create a new ogre project, for example, Project1. In the Project1.cpp. Go to the project properties dialog, click on c++, in the additional include directories, make sure the Orge include folder is listed, if not, link to the it (\location\of\ogre\include) and also ensure that location\of\ogre\Samples\Common\include is listed. After doing this, just follow my code.

/*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Filename: GodsGrace.cpp

This source file is generated by the
___ _ __ __ _ _
/___\__ _ _ __ ___ /_\ _ __ _ __/ / /\ \ (_)______ _ _ __ __| |
// // _` | '__/ _ \ //_\\| '_ \| '_ \ \/ \/ / |_ / _` | '__/ _` |
/ \_// (_| | | | __/ / _ \ |_) | |_) \ /\ /| |/ / (_| | | | (_| |
\___/ \__, |_| \___| \_/ \_/ .__/| .__/ \/ \/ |_/___\__,_|_| \__,_|
|___/ |_| |_|
Ogre 1.7.x Application Wizard for VC9 (June 2010)
http://code.google.com/p/ogreappwizards/
*/

#include <OIS.h>
#include "BaseApplication.h"
#include "ExampleApplication.h"

class TutorialFrameListener : public ExampleFrameListener, public OIS::MouseListener, public OIS::KeyListener
{
public:
TutorialFrameListener(RenderWindow* win, Camera* cam, SceneManager *sceneMgr)
: ExampleFrameListener(win, cam, true, true)
{
// Populate the camera and scene manager containers
mCamNode = cam->getParentSceneNode();
mSceneMgr = sceneMgr;

// set the rotation and move speed
mRotate = 0.13;
mMove = 250;

// continue rendering
mContinue = true;

mMouse->setEventCallback(this);
mKeyboard->setEventCallback(this);
mDirection = Vector3::ZERO;
}

bool frameStarted(const FrameEvent &evt)
{
if(mMouse)
mMouse->capture();
if(mKeyboard)
mKeyboard->capture();

mCamNode->translate(mDirection * evt.timeSinceLastFrame, Node::TS_LOCAL);
return mContinue;
}

// MouseListener
bool mouseMoved(const OIS::MouseEvent &e)
{
if (e.state.buttonDown(OIS::MB_Right))
{
mCamNode->yaw(Degree(-mRotate * e.state.X.rel), Node::TS_WORLD);
mCamNode->pitch(Degree(-mRotate * e.state.Y.rel), Node::TS_LOCAL);
}
return true;
}

bool mousePressed(const OIS::MouseEvent &e, OIS::MouseButtonID id)
{
Light *light = mSceneMgr->getLight("Light1"wink;
switch (id)
{
case OIS::MB_Left:
light->setVisible(! light->isVisible());
break;
default:
break;
}
return true;
}
bool mouseReleased(const OIS::MouseEvent &e, OIS::MouseButtonID id) { return true; }

// KeyListener
bool keyPressed(const OIS::KeyEvent &e)
{
switch (e.key)
{
case OIS::KC_ESCAPE:
mContinue = false;
break;
case OIS::KC_1:
mCamera->getParentSceneNode()->detachObject(mCamera);
mCamNode = mSceneMgr->getSceneNode("CamNode1"wink;
mCamNode->attachObject(mCamera);
break;

case OIS::KC_2:
mCamera->getParentSceneNode()->detachObject(mCamera);
mCamNode = mSceneMgr->getSceneNode("CamNode2"wink;
mCamNode->attachObject(mCamera);
break;
case OIS::KC_UP:
case OIS::KC_W:
mDirection.z = -mMove;
break;

case OIS::KC_DOWN:
case OIS::KC_S:
mDirection.z = mMove;
break;

case OIS::KC_LEFT:
case OIS::KC_A:
mDirection.x = -mMove;
break;

case OIS::KC_RIGHT:
case OIS::KC_D:
mDirection.x = mMove;
break;

case OIS::KC_PGDOWN:
case OIS::KC_E:
mDirection.y = -mMove;
break;

case OIS::KC_PGUP:
case OIS::KC_Q:
mDirection.y = mMove;
break;
default:
break;
}
return mContinue;
}
bool keyReleased(const OIS::KeyEvent &e)
{
switch (e.key)
{
case OIS::KC_UP:
case OIS::KC_W:
mDirection.z = 0;
break;

case OIS::KC_DOWN:
case OIS::KC_S:
mDirection.z = 0;
break;

case OIS::KC_LEFT:
case OIS::KC_A:
mDirection.x = 0;
break;

case OIS::KC_RIGHT:
case OIS::KC_D:
mDirection.x = 0;
break;

case OIS::KC_PGDOWN:
case OIS::KC_E:
mDirection.y = 0;
break;

case OIS::KC_PGUP:
case OIS::KC_Q:
mDirection.y = 0;
break;

default:
break;
}
return true;
}
protected:
Real mRotate; // The rotate constant
Real mMove; // The movement constant

SceneManager *mSceneMgr; // The current SceneManager
SceneNode *mCamNode; // The SceneNode the camera is currently attached to

bool mContinue; // Whether to continue rendering or not
Vector3 mDirection; // Value to move in the correct direction
};

class GodsGrace : public BaseApplication
{
public:
GodsGrace(void);
virtual ~GodsGrace(void);

TutorialFrameListener *mFrameListener;

protected:
virtual void createScene(void);
virtual void createCamera(void);
virtual void createFrameListener(void);
};

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GodsGrace::GodsGrace(void)
{
}
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GodsGrace::~GodsGrace(void)
{

}

void GodsGrace::createCamera(void)
{
// create camera, but leave at default position
mCamera = mSceneMgr->createCamera("PlayerCam"wink;
mCamera->setNearClipDistance(5);
}

void GodsGrace::createScene(void)
{
mSceneMgr->setAmbientLight(ColourValue(0.25, 0.25, 0.25));

// add the ninja
Entity *ent = mSceneMgr->createEntity("Ninja", "ninja.mesh"wink;
SceneNode *node = mSceneMgr->getRootSceneNode()->createChildSceneNode("NinjaNode"wink;
node->attachObject(ent);

// create the light
Light *light = mSceneMgr->createLight("Light1"wink;
light->setType(Light::LT_POINT);
light->setPosition(Vector3(250, 150, 250));
light->setDiffuseColour(ColourValue::White);
light->setSpecularColour(ColourValue::White);

// Create the scene node
node = mSceneMgr->getRootSceneNode()->createChildSceneNode("CamNode1", Vector3(-400, 200, 400));

// Make it look towards the ninja
node->yaw(Degree(-45));

// Create the pitch node
node = node->createChildSceneNode("PitchNode1"wink;
node->attachObject(mCamera);

// create the second camera node/pitch node
node = mSceneMgr->getRootSceneNode()->createChildSceneNode("CamNode2", Vector3(0, 200, 400));
node = node->createChildSceneNode("PitchNode2"wink;
}

void GodsGrace::createFrameListener(void)
{
// Create the FrameListener
mFrameListener = new TutorialFrameListener(mWindow, mCamera, mSceneMgr);
mRoot->addFrameListener(mFrameListener);

// Show the frame stats overlay
mFrameListener->showDebugOverlay(true);
}

#if OGRE_PLATFORM == OGRE_PLATFORM_WIN32
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#include "windows.h"
#endif

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

INT WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE, LPSTR strCmdLine, INT )
#else
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
#endif
{
// Create application object
GodsGrace app;

try {
app.go();
} catch( Ogre::Exception& e ) {
MessageBox( NULL, e.getFullDescription().c_str(), "An exception has occured!", MB_OK | MB_ICONERROR | MB_TASKMODAL);
#else
std::cerr << "An exception has occured: " <<
e.getFullDescription().c_str() << std::endl;
#endif
}

return 0;
}

#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:33pm On Jul 16, 2010
@GA: I hope you get it now. Lately, this thread has been quite. i guess we are all learning how to use ogre. Hope to see more updates. What are you upto?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2010
@ world best: Thanks for the post. I'll try it soon. I had already gotten frustrated with the stuff since I could not run the program but I'm hoping this will work. I decided to take some time away from it and I've been trying to learn some more on 3d modeling and game design. I've also been playing with the unity 3d game engine, cool stuff.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 9:25pm On Jul 17, 2010
Thanks! It worked!
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 8:11pm On Jul 18, 2010
This thread has been quiet for some time, Not nice, Conditions ain't helping either. How far have you guys gone? I don't know about you guys but this is starting to scare me! I think we should discuss time constraints and finalize areas like the game plot.

@ World best: about making a game level editor, how are we going about it? I've only got user-knowledge of the field. My skills are not yet enough to circumvent the requirements. I'm hoping you've got some info or experience in programming it already. How far have you gone on the ogre tutorials?
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 10:17pm On Jul 18, 2010
@GA

I am still doing some research on level editors, i do not have experience in programming it but it wouldn't be difficult to make one that allows for basic function like object positioning, texturing, lighting and exporting the data which can be in xml or plain text to the game. We can do this. I will be doing the last of the basic tutorial in a couple of minutes, i haven't had time to do that since i have other projects. Once i am done with the intermediate tutorial, i will start somthing on the level editor.

Yes! The thread is pretty quiet. Not withstanding, we will continue. Maybe when we have something on ground, we wont be having only views!

Cheers
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by dono3a5(m): 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2010
Hello i would love to join in making this game, my creds are:
I am a JAVA programmer(intermediate)
Photoshop(intermediate)
Fireworks(Pro)
Blender3D(Beginner)
Flash(Intermediate)
HTML(Pro)
JSP(intermediate)
PHP(beginner)
JavaScript(Intermediate)
ActionScript(Intermediate)
I am a good artist.

I am currently developing a 2D strategy game in Flash, using Macromedia Flash 8 Professional and ActionScript 2.0
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by gameaddict(m): 11:09pm On Jul 18, 2010
Hi don, welcome to the team. Feel free to contribute in any aspect of the project. If you'd like to participate in the programming, you should download ogre 3d and start with the basic tuts. You may also contribute artworks or other things to the project. welcome.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by dono3a5(m): 11:28pm On Jul 18, 2010
Okay,
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by worldbest(m): 1:53am On Jul 19, 2010
@Don
Nice and Welcome to the team. We are currently learning ogre3d engine. Since it is written in c++, it may not be suitable for you. Since you have great skills in graphics i believe you will be needed in this aspect the most. Although, it would be very easy for you to learn c++ syntax since you are familiar with JAVA. If you can do that, we will be happy to have another programmer. What do you think? You are welcome.
Re: Game Development: Join The Team by dono3a5(m): 1:13pm On Jul 19, 2010
I would love to learn C++ but i am occupied by other things now, maybe later sha, but i definitely want to help with graphics and character sketching.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Vb.net Code To Display Image In Picturebox From Sql Server / Connecting To A Database Using Visual Basic / For Computer Science Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.