Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring (5595 Views)

South-African Based Nigerian Arrested With 3.9kg Of Drug In Lagos (Photos) / NDLEA Arrests South African-based Nigerian With Drugs (Pictured) / Assassins Paid N300,000 To Murder London-Based Nigerian Arrested In Lagos (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by mbulela: 6:25am On Jun 30, 2010
From Tokunbo Adedoja in New York, 06.30.2010

A Ghana-based Nigerian Ademola Adegoke has been arrested by United States security operatives in connection with a multimillion-dollar West African crime enterprise.

The Nigerian who was brought to US from Ghana on Monday, was alleged to be involved in a worldwide scheme that allegedly defrauded US and Canadian citizens, travel agencies of an estimated $2 million.

His arrest was said to have been the result of a 10-month investigation by US Department of State’s Diplomatic Security Service (DSS), United States Secret Service, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police, with support from authorities in Ghana.

A statement from the US Bureau of Diplomatic Security Services said other agencies and countries that assisted in the investigation include the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the United Kingdom’s Serious Organised Crime Agency, the US Department of Education Inspector General’s Office, US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of the Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, Amtrak Police Department, US Postal Inspection Service, the Columbus, Ohio Police Department, and the Alexandria, Virginia Police Department.

The statement, which noted that Ghanaian authorities had confirmed that Adegoke is a Nigerian citizen, said the suspect managed the crime ring from Ghana, and had been indicted on multiple federal counts of wire fraud, identity theft, access device fraud, and conspiracy in the Eastern District of Virginia.

"The Government of Ghana expelled Adegoke to the United States. He was flown to New York today (Monday) and will be prosecuted in the Eastern District of Virginia," the statement said, adding, "if the suspect is convicted, the US government could potentially seize several international bank accounts and the nearly $700,000 they contain."

On the mode of operation of the crime ring, the statement said: “First, the group purchased stolen credit card account numbers. Second, they electronically manipulated the credit card numbers onto computer images of credit cards. Third, they emailed those images, along with fraudulent passport and driver’s license information, to travel agencies to facilitate the purchase of airline tickets to the United States. And fourth, they sold the tickets to travelers.”

The statement said Ghanaian Police arrested Adegoke on May 5, and that investigators from DSS and the Secret Service worked closely with the Ghanaian Police Service’s Criminal Investigation Division to track him down. It also said CBP’s Criminal Enforcement Unit at JFK International Airport conducted multiple interviews with those suspected of purchasing the tickets on stolen credit cards to gain more information.

Quoting Todd Brown, Special Agent in Charge of Diplomatic Security’s Washington Field Office, the statement said: “This has been a particularly complex investigation that has required the expertise and talent of numerous US and international law enforcement agencies and personnel.”

Also Jeffrey Irvine, Special Agent in Charge of the Secret Service’s Washington Field Office, was quoted as saying, “The methods criminals use to commit financial crimes have evolved significantly over the last several years,” and that cooperation among US agencies makes it possible for quick response to uncover criminal activity like the one involving Adegoke and prevent additional financial fraud.”
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 30, 2010
You can take them out of Nigeria, but you cant take Nigeria outta them.

Anywaz. . . .
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 30, 2010
another one bites the dust
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by okeniyi(m): 11:12am On Jun 30, 2010
smart gee, but never repented early.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by philip0906(m): 11:33am On Jun 30, 2010
first thing I did was 2 look at d name i expected 2 c some ikechukwu,chininso e.t.c cheesy grin grin and some people will have quickly rushed in here 2 scream "igbo kwenu" cheesy grin.shows dat corruption is in d blood of "every" Nigerian undecided
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by mrkoma2012: 11:41am On Jun 30, 2010
Thats a lot of money, he should ve got out early when he had the chance,
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by eloii: 11:48am On Jun 30, 2010
Nigerian's always expose their talent (that is FRAUD), they are perfect in fraudulent people but they don't know how to maintain it as a [b]Devil-Giving-Talent. Anywhere lack of finance in the country and hunger that want to remove children from their parent hand.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by blacksta(m): 11:55am On Jun 30, 2010
Nigeria a country with  the most religous people  - practically churches and mosques in every corner yet the most corrupt in the world-  dont mind dropping a nuclear bomb wiping out everything - so the nation can start afresh.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by ROCKJ1(m): 11:58am On Jun 30, 2010
get rich quick syndrome, its a Nigerian problem.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by sheyee(m): 12:03pm On Jun 30, 2010
Evil Genius, At least he will enjoy his jail term well in US than in Naija grin grin grin
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by raintree: 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2010
True talk, Blacksta.  Just look at some of the posts above and I kind of understand why corruption rules No. 1 in Nigeria.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by bigbounce(m): 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
He is a very stupid guy and also very greedy and that is what is killing most of the politicains here they want to have everything in their account, If i can make half of that, i will never go into such system, i will just go and invest that money on something that will fetch me my feeding and money to pay my bills monthly then start a new life, he is an idiot am sorry to say that,
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Kennyblues(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2010
Get rich or die trying
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by 0hsisi: 12:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
na today?
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by sulad82i(m): 12:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
Nigerians need to learn. This guy is a jerk and I know there are lot of pple like him as Nigerians. I pray they all die trying.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by VALIDATOR: 12:33pm On Jun 30, 2010
I bet you his people must have respected him well all along.It's in the value system.It's in the culture.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by bigbounce(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2010
That is what all those stupid animal we called leader want us to be involve in that is why they ae stealing the whole money and making life worst for the citizen, when you go to school and graduate which work they wan make you do?they no provide good jobs that will earn you enough for you living, even when you are managing somewhere now if you can't collect bribe or have other mean to steal indirect you can make it, because the whole money you are earning as salary is not enough for your bills payment, some people are working and they can eat good food because if they do they won't be enough to meet up with their target for the bills payment at the end of the month, some of us working we can help our sibling or our parent with that little money we earn but those bastard are in the house of assemble fighting and throwing chairs earning millions, And they are not feeling any concern about the citizen dying of hungry, and unemployment, GOD will purnish all of them, In the world today Nigeria is the richest if you don't know, we have all the mineral resources to produce but they divert the people attention into crude oil and sell other resources in their own names as if is their family property, Them all including obasanjo are beast, they don't care if you are dying, imagine him buying part of our seaport and other companies, i know alot about them all if i can be given power, I will do what rowlins of Ghana do to all the thieves in Ghana that called themselves leaders, I will kill them all and bring all the money back to the country treasure department and anyone that want to become president here in Nigeria
we will go and throne them in from of those idol gods so that if they steal or maltreat the citizen their happiness should be turn into sorrow, i bet you my people we can live a better life than america, all they all are doing is to have a way to cover up where after their tenor that, that is what they spend our money on, they never build house and tell the poor masses to come and rent there at 3oo naira we all to rent, After they build it they will sell it to themselves in millions tell me how the citizen is not going to engage in fraud and other crime?I listen to some robbers and car hijacks on facebook those in south africa, he said he need money that is why he turn to robbers, most of this greedy leaders their kids are in america,london,and europe countries schooling but we are here we can even afford our handbill booklet AND YOU EXPECT THAT KIND OF KIND STARVING AND SUFFERING TO STUDY THEY JUST COME TO HIM TO COME AND JOIN IN ROBBERY ATTACK HE WON?Think twice no one is born to suffer but the greedy leaders make us to and they will all pay with their life and their happiness, Anyone that is contributing to our suffering in Nigeria, we have food we can't 3square meal,we have cloth but we still walk naked in the street,we have electric power supply we can make use of it because most of those bastard want to import generators into the country,we have crude oil but we buy petrol,kerosine,diesel and gas very costly price,we have lands for housing unit but those bastard never think about creating areas where to build housing unit for the poor instead of that they took the money to ajah and lekki to sand fill the water by GOD grace them all will sink like phroah and his servant, those who make my fellow Nigeria citizen to go and do stupid thing will pay with their life and their family's life, we suppose to be living fine and no cause to go out the country to look for visa to be a toilet cleaner or cocaine pusher, they are the DON in those business, GOD will purnish them all,
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2010
blacksta:

Nigeria a country with  the most religous people  - practically churches and mosques in every corner yet the most corrupt in the world-  dont mind dropping a nuclear bomb wiping out everything - so the nation can start afresh.
did u recently escaped 4rm a psychiatric home? undecided
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by bigbounce(m): 12:44pm On Jun 30, 2010
sulad82i, you are very stupid for altering such statement against him who are you to judge him, you said you are in usa now right tell me how you manage to get visa, and which work you dey do for usa?she because they nevere expose you too?
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by jpworld(m): 12:58pm On Jun 30, 2010
U.S. government always know how to lie, i knew Yoruba boys are into this stuff, but none of them worth 2million dollars they are not even worth 2million naira, they are hungry boys, maybe they place, all the fraudulent transaction on his head, Ghanaian are even more in it,
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by r231(m): 1:06pm On Jun 30, 2010
na wa o
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by TeskyMan(m): 1:09pm On Jun 30, 2010
bigbounce:

He is a very silly guy and also very greedy and that is what is killing most of the politicains here they want to have everything in their account, If i can make half of that, i will never go into such system, i will just go and invest that money on something that will fetch me my feeding and money to pay my bills monthly then start a new life, he is an  am sorry to say that,

Hey friend, I am not a pastor neither am i a saint but the Bible says in Pro 24:1  Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them.. It further said in Gal 6:7  Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
@ Bigbounce - Even if you make half of the money and spend it prudently, I can tell you authoritatively that it can never ever be well with the wicked thats what my Bible tells me. See my brother, i was once in this game of "yahoo yahoo syndrom" in the early 2000. I made cool money but i can tell you categorically that there was No peace within and without. Thank God, the Lord Jesus saved me and I am a changed person now. I earn a little and I can tell you that the blessing of God dwells richly on the little money i make. Lets not shy away from the truth, THE WICKED SHALL KNOW NO PEACE. No matter how prudent and clever you may be. I now understand what Solomon said in Pro 3:29 - 35  Devise not evil against thy neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee. Strive not with a man without cause, if he have done thee no harm. Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways. For the froward is abomination to the LORD: but his secret is with the righteous. The curse of the LORD is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just. Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly. The wise shall inherit glory: but shame shall be the promotion of fools.

@ poster - What Adegoke sows he will surely reap it because the CURSE OF GOD dwells in the house of the Wicked. ADEMOLA ADEGOKE, enjoy your jail time in New York City, who knows how many innocent people would have died due to his fraudulence act. God have MERCY on Us All.

Peace out.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by dobodobo(m): 1:10pm On Jun 30, 2010
US government are good in lying when it come to Nigerians and other under develop countries. I don't know why people travels abroad. I will never get a green passport and not to even think of a VISA. I love my country(NIGERIA) and I am happy no matter how bad or good people think about it. I was born here and I am destiny to be here. I am not rich nor  poor but I cannot let the white be my boss. I will rather prefer a black man. USA govt should stop LYING. we are not slave. we have discover ourselves
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2010
He is an Igbo Man aiight.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by dobodobo(m): 1:14pm On Jun 30, 2010
Pastor, everybody is a thief but only those who are caught are mention, Even the bible said it ,when it was said anyone who have not commit a sin should be the one to cast a stone and thrown on the adulterated woman but everyone went away. if people don't steal from government money( senators,governors,councilors and chairman), they will do from private company(MD,workers,supervisor), even the USA is the most corrupt countries I have ever known
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by johndavid1(m): 1:19pm On Jun 30, 2010
bigbounce:

sulad82i, you are very silly for altering such statement against him who are you to judge him, you said you are in usa now right tell me how you manage to get visa, and which work you dey do for usa?she because they nevere expose you too?
ur  right wink
dobodobo:

Pastor, everybody is a thief but only those who are caught are mention, Even the bible said it ,when it was said anyone who have not commit a sin should be the one to cast a stone and thrown on the adulterated woman but everyone went away. if people don't steal from government money( senators,governors,councilors and chairman), they will do from private company(MD,workers,supervisor), even the USA is the most corrupt countries I have ever known
i love this cool cool cool kiss
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by geogentle: 1:21pm On Jun 30, 2010
Its rather unfortunate that this name 'NIGERIA' keeps attracting more negative stories than positive.

@Bigbounce, I don't think the government should be blamed for the misconduct of Adegoke. He's responsible for his acts in my own opinion. USA is a very corrupt nation but no one blames their government for individual crimes.
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by sley4life(m): 2:18pm On Jun 30, 2010
Scam is not only related to Nigeria alone
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Parnassuss(m): 2:24pm On Jun 30, 2010
call the fbi, efcc, cia, sis, nsa, mi6! shite call the freaking justice league; a nigerian's being caught defrauding people!
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by dobodobo(m): 2:37pm On Jun 30, 2010
geogentle:

Its rather unfortunate that this name 'NIGERIA' keeps attracting more negative stories than positive.
Ooh, don't get deceived, you never commit more than russian and south africa, it will only be on their media, if Nigeria commit, it will be for nigeria media and if for other countries too, you might not get to hear it here,
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2010
Re: Ghana-based Nigerian Named In Fraud Ring by damola1: 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2010
Our Govt. should learn to manage our image better. WhAT'S the job of Dora, she is not doing anything, !

Our image needs to be properly managed, and two, the economy and psychology of the average Nigerian needs to be improved.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

De Santos Hotel Boss Is Still Alive / Married Man Caught Red-handed Sleeping With Another Man In Delta State (video) / Many Hausas Killed In Ile-ife Today, Photos (graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.