Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed (15222 Views)

Best Sitting Position To Stay Alert When Driving / 5 Mistakes You Should Carefully Avoid When Driving / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by JuanNig: 5:04am On Sep 06, 2018
Source: https://naijauto.com/safe-driving/most-important-rules-to-know-when-driving-at-high-speed-371

When driving at high speed, drivers need to pay attention to the following rules to ensure their own safety as well as others.

1. Hold the steering wheel with both hands at 9h and 3h positions

Drivers should keep their hands at 9h and 3h on the steering wheel to ensure safety when driving at high speed. Placing both hands at the most comfortable positions on the wheel allows the driver to handle situations on the road correctly and with little force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7VAKD_0FA
How To Hold Steering Wheel Clock 9 & 3 Instead of 10 & 2

Experienced drivers are most likely familiar with this rule when handling the steering wheel, but not everyone takes it seriously. In fact, keeping the hands at the right places will help you react and handle situations more quickly and precisely, which minimizes the chance of collisions when driving at high speed.

2. Do not play music too loud

Listening to music with a volume of 95 decibels or above will reduce the driver's reflex by as much as 20 percent

According to a report from a Canadian university, listening to music with a volume of 95 decibels or above will reduce the driver's reflex by as much as 20 percent. In addition, the loud music will make the engine sounds hard to hear, increasing the difficulties for drivers to control the speed of their vehicles.

3. Adjust the seat correctly and comfortably

Only when sitting at a stable and comfortable position can you focus on driving the car. When you sit too far from the steering wheel, your hands have to reach far to hold it and cannot be relaxed. Relaxed hands can help you react faster to obstacles and is especially important when driving at high speed. Additionally, sitting too far from the windshield narrows the driver’s vision and increases the risk when driving fast.

On the other hand, sitting too close to the wheel also makes your hands uncomfortable and increases pressure on your foot, making it difficult to control the car’s speed precisely. Therefore, it is very important to adjust the driver’s seat to the most comfortable position before starting to drive, so that you can react faster and more accurate to on-road situations.

4. Expand your vision

Expand your vision to the sides and behind your vehicle using wing mirrors help you recognize unexpected situations and have enough time to handle

Do not just look at the road ahead of you, and instead, expand your vision to the sides and behind your vehicle using wing mirrors. This could help you recognize unexpected situations and have enough time to handle.

5. Do not let the car drift

Letting a vehicle drift with its momentum is perfectly okay when driving slow in the city, but is extremely dangerous when running at high speed, because there would be a high chance of slipping even in dry and clear roads if you did so. You should only adjust the acceleration pedal and use the brake to slow down the car so that you do not lose balance and control.

6. Drive fast only when possible

Should you not express your ability to drive at high speed in every roads, since it could cause danger to yourself and others. Statistics show that high-speed car accidents occur mostly in the city streets and not in the highways, therefore, be careful and drive slower when the roads aren’t clear.

Source: https://naijauto.com/safe-driving/most-important-rules-to-know-when-driving-at-high-speed-371

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by moscobabs(m): 6:24am On Sep 06, 2018
Speed kills

20 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Olalan(m): 6:31am On Sep 06, 2018
Why should you risk your life by driving so fast esp in this part of the world where the roads are are filled with loads of death traps

21 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by diportivo: 6:32am On Sep 06, 2018
all of these are applicable for normal driving conditions

as usual,u no talk anything for this ur thread undecided

7 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Alvin007: 6:55am On Sep 06, 2018
Why speed excessively, when the difference between your ETA(Expected Time of Arrival), and that of someone on an average speed, might not be more than 15mins..on a distance of about 100 miles?
Speed thrills, but kills!
Make una stay alive biko.

30 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Naijawebmaster: 7:07am On Sep 06, 2018
Valuable Tips.

Need a reliable and professional website design? Then check my signature No advance payment required.

2 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by driand(m): 7:09am On Sep 06, 2018
No 1 is not for me, for me it's left hand at 12 o'clock

That's how we roll!

9 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by CallMePapi(m): 7:09am On Sep 06, 2018
drive fast only when possible
Is it by force to drive fast? The need for speed havms killed many and its still killing per minute.
My advice: drive moderately, surely you'll get to your destination. The need for speed only put you at a disadvantage.

5 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by alezzy13: 7:10am On Sep 06, 2018
Alvin007:
Why speed excessively, when the difference between your ETA(Expected Time of Arrival), and that of someone on an average speed, might not be more than 15mins..on a distance of about 100 miles?
Speed thrills, but kills!
Make una stay alive biko.

Yes, but what about a longer road? Say up to 300km? That would suggest a difference of almost 45min, no?

7 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Shortyy(f): 7:10am On Sep 06, 2018
OK we've heard
Check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Reyus: 7:11am On Sep 06, 2018
Make sure you and all passengers are wearing seat belts.

5 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by israelmao(m): 7:12am On Sep 06, 2018
Leave all your problems at home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by BedLam: 7:12am On Sep 06, 2018
Do not drive speed with old model of cars. You will suffer.

2 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Alvin007: 7:13am On Sep 06, 2018
alezzy13:

Yes, but what about a longer road? Say up to 300km? That would suggest a difference of almost 45min, no?

Firstly, I said ‘miles’, not ‘km’.
Lastly, On a Nigerian road, ask yourself if the time difference is worth a life. Cheers.
Ps; 300km is just 186miles.

8 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by jyz200(m): 7:14am On Sep 06, 2018
Speed is good

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by switchdestiny: 7:14am On Sep 06, 2018
Noted for we that have cars

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by onegig(m): 7:14am On Sep 06, 2018
Bassic is .1 you should be able to see what 3 cars in front of you are doing. You can better react to that than staying blindly at the back of a car .

3 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Shagaya: 7:17am On Sep 06, 2018
I remember when I used to do Ibadan to Lagos back in the 80s within 30mins to 45mins in my sweet Peugeot 504 angry

3 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by TheShopKeeper(m): 7:23am On Sep 06, 2018
...in short a speeding vehicle can be a dangerous weapon if not handled carefully...

1 Like

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by alezzy13: 7:26am On Sep 06, 2018
Alvin007:

Firstly, I said ‘miles’, not ‘km’.
Lastly, On a Nigerian road, ask yourself if the time difference is worth a life. Cheers.
Ps; 300km is just 186miles.

I see. Well for me, I think a lot of factors will determine just how fast I can move. Topmost is familiarity with the road. I've approached 160km/hr on some road some roads (eg lokoja-Abuja which I follow almost twice wkly) but on others my limit is usually 100 - 120km/h.

But tbh I'm not sure excessive speed makes much difference. Just a stop at a checkpoint and you'll see ( much to your annoyance) that the rickety bus you zoomed past a while back is just behind you! embarassed

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by lonelydora: 7:31am On Sep 06, 2018
On a good expressway, Use Cruise Control.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Exponental(m): 7:32am On Sep 06, 2018
Most times, high speed are not necessary. If not an emergency, drive safely and slowly. Worse off is to save 5- 30mins. But think about it, the consequences takes longer time to fix if fixable.

3 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by RevenGeMission: 7:33am On Sep 06, 2018
Most important TIP is not to SPEED

3 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by mu2sa2: 7:33am On Sep 06, 2018
Speeding isn't taken as dangerous in Nigeria because many people don't believe they will ever be involved in auto accident. A gullible, brainwashed person who has been prohesied to that he has a purpose in life and will not die or be harmed until that purpose is achieved will certainly think that s/he is immune to every possible mishap incuding car accidents due to speeding recklessly. The same thing with a fellow who is fooled into believing that car accidents can be prevented by "fortifying" a car with fetish and charms.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Jarus(m): 7:45am On Sep 06, 2018
6, Be careful of sudden swerve, no matter how small.

The only time I had accident, July 2009, this was what caused it.

It was at Awoyaya on Ajah-Epe expressway.

I was meant to turn at a turning but I wasn't sure of the exact turning.

I was on the fast lane and on speed, looking at each turning point to be sure of which to turn.

While looking for the turning, I was losing concentration, and the car was drifting from the road to median. I noticed one leg (tyre) of the car was about leaving the road and caressing the median, and I spontaneously swerved back to the road.

I lost control. The car spun. There was a loud bang. It made a 180' degree spin. Left the road, returned to the road. It was like a movie.

I thought the car would somersault. I just held on to steering with my 2 hands (as #1 up here suggested). I had lost control of the steering, just holding it.

Thank God I was on seat belt.

But it would have been worse, the side of the road I hit was a bus stop, where people normally wait. Thank God there was no one at the bus stop that morning. There may have been fatality.

Unfortunately, when my car stabilized and I came out unhurt (the car bumper damaged), the area boys that came to help me still demanded money before I could drive away the car after I recovered from the shock.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by johnwell(m): 7:47am On Sep 06, 2018
TheShopKeeper:
...in short a speeding vehicle is a dangerous weapon if not handled carefully...
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Offpoint: 7:51am On Sep 06, 2018
What's the beauty of driving if you're not on 180/200....? speed is baegrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by DEHVEHLOP(m): 7:56am On Sep 06, 2018
Chinonso, chibueze, Okoro, Ngozi you all had better come and read this!

You go just dey flex akpu muscle for steering thinking na by muscle alone needed to be a driver...

Illiterates.

My fellow Yoruba Op, thank you but you know we Yoruba and Hausa always do the right things. And we don't make loud noise always.

Igbo amaka
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by Tapout(m): 8:04am On Sep 06, 2018
alezzy13:

I see. Well for me, I think a lot of factors will determine just how fast I can move. Topmost is familiarity with the road. I've approached 160km/hr on some road some roads (eg lokoja-Abuja which I follow almost twice wkly) but on others my limit is usually 100 - 120km/h.

But tbh I'm not sure excessive speed makes much difference. Just a stop at a checkpoint and you'll see ( much to your annoyance) that the rickety bus you zoomed past a while back is just behind you! embarassed

the thing is that most people don't get it. This whole eta stuff only works in countries like Nigeria where u find law enforcement Agencies virtually after every 1km on highways which is totally wrong if u ask me . Thats why most times i just maintain 100km/hr Whats the essence of doing 160 when u can't maintain it for atleast a minute. There's a reason why its called a high way.

4 Likes

Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by ashawopikin(m): 8:44am On Sep 06, 2018
How about not speed at all
Re: Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed by BiafranBushBoy: 8:46am On Sep 06, 2018
Shortyy:
OK we've heard
Check my signature

Don't you think getting a custom domain and hosting would be great?

Please reach out if you need help.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud / 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.