Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,352 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? (9160 Views)

Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? / Types Of Rims In Cars, Their Uses And How They Work / 5 Car Features And How They Work (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:55pm On Sep 07, 2018
Air suspensions. How do they work?

Air suspensions are a type of suspension system driven by an electric or engine air pump compressor. This technology has existed since the 60s but in the year 2018, they are still a pain to the Average roadside technician. I have overheard some technicians referring to this technology as “demonic technology”.

There are 5 integral components that make the air suspension work. These are the pump, the valve unit, the reservoir, the air suspension control unit and the air lines. The working principle behind everything is very simple. Air is taken from the atmosphere and stored in the reservoir. The air then flows from the reservoir to the pump where it is compressed to a manufacturer specified pressure and sent to the valve unit. The air then flows from the valve unit through the air lines to the shocks. The air suspension computer or control unit controls the whole process. Changing a bad air shock is very simple, it only gets a bit complicated when calibrating the new installed shock. In some cars, this can be done manually by closing and opening the doors while in some you need a manufacturer specified diagnostic scan tool.

If you are have a bad shock and are looking for where you can get genuine auto parts then look to chi spare parts and if you are having air suspension troubles and you are looking for qualified hands to handle them once and for all then look to our sister company tensa engineering services. 

https://chispareparts.com.ng/air-suspensions-how-do-they-work/

2 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by AutoElectNG: 12:26am On Sep 08, 2018
Some people demonize what they don't understand or appreciate

6 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by nurey(m): 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2018
I am tired of my ball and socket suspension on my legedizbenz I think it's time to upgrade to air suspension

I would pick nike Air as OEM replacement part

24 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by erico2k2(m): 7:14am On Sep 09, 2018
nurey:
I am tired of my ball and socket suspension on my legedizbenz I think it's time to upgrade to air suspension

I would pick nike Air as OEM replacement part
U nor quick talk nahhhh
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by id4sho(m): 7:21am On Sep 09, 2018
suspension from kpekus or what, ayam not understanding.
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by usmanktg2(m): 7:23am On Sep 09, 2018
Coincidence! My MSc research topic

2 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by PapaNnamdi: 7:27am On Sep 09, 2018
We need replacement air suspension parts for the poor in this country, Our linen and intestines suspension don chop finish, that stomach infrastructure road almost kill us,
Abeg how do we order air suspension for our stomach with Pvc?

5 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by driand(m): 7:28am On Sep 09, 2018
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by thonyokun(m): 7:28am On Sep 09, 2018
id4sho:
suspension from kpekus or what, ayam not understanding.
today is Sunday o

1 Like

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by EzendiEgo1: 7:31am On Sep 09, 2018
Hmm
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Ijeoma660(f): 7:39am On Sep 09, 2018
Can one replace the regular suspension with this air suspension...asking for a friend...lol
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 09, 2018
Lovely, your car can hit 200k miles and the bushing, joints, lower and upper arm, everyother accessory is just perfect with not a single noise.

An air shock is abt 90k while a briscoe shock absorber is about 80k, the shock absorber starts to give in in 7mths, the airshock can last 5 - 10 years as long as your air-pump and valve lines are not faulty.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Rexnegro(m): 7:54am On Sep 09, 2018
really?
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:56am On Sep 09, 2018
Ijeoma660:
Can one replace the regular suspension with this air suspension...asking for a friend...lol
Yes you can but I don't recommend doing that.

2 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by sleeknick: 7:59am On Sep 09, 2018
Suspension transmission grin

2 Likes

Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Benekruku(m): 8:24am On Sep 09, 2018
Water suspension is the best
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Consultville(m): 8:40am On Sep 09, 2018
Hmmm wen this thing start giving problem especially in LR3 ,4 and Range Rover hmmm, I don’t like that experience
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 09, 2018
Range Rover, Mercedes Benz and other vehicles use airmatic™ suspensions.

They aren't used on cheap cars.
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by Neoteny(m): 9:29am On Sep 09, 2018
But how about one month suspension without pay?

Is it as good as air suspension?
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by ironheart(m): 10:19am On Sep 09, 2018
Lol, some people just copy and past without doing a thorough research. Why a lot of technicians hate the air suspension is because diagnosing it can be pain in the ass. A simple thing as over saturated dryer unit in the system can start a process of corrosion that may take you months, money and bruised reputation (for technician) to pin point.
Re: Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? by walosky(m): 11:37am On Sep 09, 2018
Consultville:
Hmmm wen this thing start giving problem especially in LR3 ,4 and Range Rover hmmm, I don’t like that experience

it should be about 350k to 400k for a Range Rover depending in the model

(1) (Reply)

Are Gear Problems Not Fixable In Nigeria? / I have 800k for Toyota Camry 2001,but read what my friend said... / Looking For Landrover Defender 110 For Sale In 9ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.