Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,373 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? (12575 Views)

Should I Raise My Car For Better Ground Clearance? / Air Suspensions. How Do They Work? / The Best Way To Raise My Camry 2001 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by whyteteeth: 9:26pm On Feb 01, 2019
I am using a Honda Rover and I want to raise the car as in raise the tires, because i think the under is too close to the ground and that could be the reason why my exhaust pipe keeps leaking every now and then. Now I am just wondering if it’s a good idea because I wouldn’t want the car to start developing issues thereafter in connection to that lifting.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by symbianDON(m): 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2019
you want to raise the suspension not the tires. It's not a good idea because it's going to affect the stability of the vehicle while in motion. Consider using SLIGHTLY higher wheels instead

12 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by whyteteeth: 10:24pm On Feb 01, 2019
symbianDON:
you want to raise the suspension not the tires. It's not a good idea because it's going to affect the stability of the vehicle while in motion. Consider using SLIGHTLY higher wheels instead

Oh thanks bro for the correction, “suspension not tyres” whatever that means tho, lol. When u say, stability of the car, what does that entail? And what could be the possible consequences of a car that lack stability? Meanwhile the car isn’t really for long distance travel , it’s mostly within the city that I use it so I don’t do speed driving as such.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Readonee35L(m): 10:54pm On Feb 01, 2019
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by whyteteeth: 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2019
Abeg I need more comments
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Holyson213: 6:48pm On Feb 02, 2019
It’s good there is not problem with it. Our roads are uneven and bad with potholes. Roads no straight sef.

It’s good bruv nothing bad in it. I raised my camry up and been enjoying it. I travel to Lagos from Ibadan and nothing do me

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by whyteteeth: 7:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
Holyson213:
It’s good there is not problem with it. Our roads are uneven and bad with potholes. Roads no straight sef.

It’s good bruv nothing bad in it. I raised my camry up and been enjoying it. I travel to Lagos from Ibadan and nothing do me

Ok thanks
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 02, 2019
whyteteeth:

Ok thanks
Don't raise the suspension but buy slightly higher wheels than the current wheels that you have. Raising the suspension might bite you in the ass later on high speed and at sharp corners.

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by OPUSDEI1(m): 11:23pm On Feb 02, 2019
No, its not.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by SpaceAngel: 4:44pm On Feb 04, 2019
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 04, 2019
As for me oh, I raised my 4 suspensions a little bit and I don't see anything wrong with it. My car is just too low and Lagos roads are terrible. came with 235/45/R17 and it took a lot of beatings from Lagos bad roads. Changed tires to 225/55/R17 still no significant change. So I raised it a bit from the shocks and that did it. Yes I know it would affect the handling at top speed, but come to think of it, I don't intend to drive at 200km/hr, nor do I intend to make sharp turns at 150km/hr. I think people just exaggerate this whole handling thing. Cars with low ground clearance are built for speed, handling and sharp turns at top speed which I never intend to do, I don't go above 140km/hr on the highway. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to pay to have a better ground clearance. Moreover, it is not even half as high as SUV's and those SUV's still drive and handle well (like they are supposed to).

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 04, 2019
greenhulk:
As for me oh, I raised my 4 suspensions a little bit and I don't see anything wrong with it. My car is just too low and Lagos roads are terrible. came with 235/45/R17 and it took a lot of beatings from Lagos bad roads. Changed tires to 225/55/R17 still no significant change. So I raised it a bit from the shocks and that did it. Yes I know it would affect the handling at top speed, but come to think of it, I don't intend to drive at 200km/hr, nor do I intend to make sharp turns at 150km/hr. I think people just exaggerate this whole handling thing. Cars with low ground clearance are built for speed, handling and sharp turns at top speed which I never intend to do, I don't go above 140km/hr on the highway. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to pay to have a better ground clearance. Moreover, it is not even half as high as SUV's and those SUV's still drive and handling well (like they are supposed to).

For me, its not just about the handling, I have seen 3rd gen Tl's with raised suspension and it just losses shape and looks very awkward especially from the rear.

I'm still on the 235/45/17, the underside of my front bumper is a mess with a lot of scratches but I really dont care especially as its not so visible.

I drive very carefully and as slowly as I can on bad roads, those in vehicles with a better ground clearance overtake and give me that "go to a driving school look". I simply shake my head and give them the "meet me on the highway look"

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 04, 2019
rationalmind:

For me, its not just about the handling, I have seen 3rd gen Tl's with raised suspension and it just losses shape and looks very awkward especially from the rear.

I'm still on the 235/45/17, the underside of my front bumper is a mess with a lot of scratches but I really dont care especially as its not so visible.

I drive very carefully and as slow as I can on bad roads, those in vehicles with a better ground clearance overtake and give me that "go to a driving school look". I simply shake my head and give them the "meet me on the highway look"

The underside of my front bumper is still pretty neat. Though when I see other 3rd gen TL's that haven't been raised they look pretty sleek hugging the ground, but mine doesn't look awkward from behind, just a little raise, though not as good as stock but I'll take that.

Before this I had an 05 Accord not raised, and I don't see any difference in handling between the 2 on high speed. In fact, the raised TL still has more stability. The thing is we hardly explore all the powers of our cars here. Like I said I don't intend to go 180-200km/hr or make sharp turns at high speed so this issue of loss of handling or stability doesn't affect me.

Oh and I have to chip this in. The new Toyota Camry has a very low ground clearance, in fact lower than what camry use to be like, lower than the new Honda Accord.. I'm just wondering how it would survive here by the time it starts flooding the country.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Namzy(m): 11:33pm On Feb 04, 2019
OPUSDEI1:
No, its not.
Just like that no reason
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 6:36am On Feb 05, 2019
greenhulk:

The underside of my front bumper is still pretty neat. Though when I see other 3rd gen TL's that haven't been raised they look pretty sleek hugging the ground, but mine doesn't look awkward from behind, just a little raise, though not as good as stock but I'll take that.

Before this I had an 05 Accord not raised, and I don't see any difference in handling between the 2 on high speed. In fact, the raised TL still has more stability. The thing is we hardly explore all the powers of our cars here. Like I said I don't intend to go 180-200km/hr or make sharp turns at high speed so this issue of loss of handling or stability doesn't affect me.

Oh and I have to chip this in. The new Toyota Camry has a very low ground clearance, in fact lower than what camry use to be like, lower than the new Honda Accord.. I'm just wondering how it would survive here by the time it starts flooding the country.

Owners will probably go your route, raise the suspension smiley
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 7:02am On Feb 05, 2019
whyteteeth:
I am using a Honda Rover and I want to raise the car as in raise the tires, because i think the under is too close to the ground and that could be the reason why my exhaust pipe keeps leaking every now and then. Now I am just wondering if it’s a good idea because I wouldn’t want the car to start developing issues thereafter in connection to that lifting.

Don't. I had the same issue with my car shipped from the US. Get bigger tyres
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Lumig: 7:06am On Feb 05, 2019
I am here to learn
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by aolawale025: 7:09am On Feb 05, 2019
Every car has its center of gravity. Better not to alter the manufacturer specs

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by mjbaba: 7:09am On Feb 05, 2019
It makes the car look out of shape and ugly

Apart from handling

And when u are driving it, you have to grip the steering hard cos u feel it wants to fly out of your hands

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by CarGuideNG: 7:15am On Feb 05, 2019
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:24am On Feb 05, 2019
Do t try to raise it .., the balancing will be nothing to write home about
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 05, 2019
mjbaba:

And when u are driving it, you have to grip the steering hard cos u feel it wants to fly out of your hands

Fallacy, unless or course u are too far away from manufacturers center of gravity like all those ones smugglers use. There's nothing wrong with a little raising. Speaking from experience. At 140km/hr I can still leave the steering wheel and car doesn't swerve.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by logon599: 7:29am On Feb 05, 2019
I don't think it's wrong. Just don't overdo it. Get good professional advice for raising it.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by computerglobal(m): 7:37am On Feb 05, 2019
Are You Buying A Car Soon ?

We are your number one source to get any vehicle checked. We make it easy for you to discover the complete history of any used car before you buy or sell it. It only takes a couple of minutes, and you'll have peace of mind before you buy . Have that peace of mind knowing the vehicle's complete history.
You’ll receive crucial facts about the car you’re looking to buy that will help you make a smart decision.

What we can obtain from these check

✓Title Problem Checks

✓Title brands

✓Prior Damage Checks

✓Odometer Checks
Detect rollbacks & tampering

✓Active Theft Checks

✓Open Lien Check

✓Title transfer

✓Past Sale Listings
See what it sold for before

✓Reported Accidents and Damage

✓Number of Owners

✓Odometer Rollback

✓Lemon History

✓Title Issues

✓ Theft

✓Emission inspection checks

✓ Recall Safety Data

✓Storm Damage Records

✓Vehicle Usage (Fleet, Rental)etc

✓Structural Damage

✓Vehicle Service History

✓Total Loss

✓Flood Damage check

✓Airbag Deployment

✓Mileage Rollover

✓Hail Damage

✓Last Reported Mileage

✓Country of Export

✓Estimated Miles Driven Per Year

✓Service, Inspection history

✓Custom Duty Verification Of Documents

Contact us today or visit our profile signature

Contact us today
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by sauceEEP(m): 7:43am On Feb 05, 2019
Which car is Honda Rover?
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by femi4: 7:46am On Feb 05, 2019
symbianDON:
Raise the suspension not the tyre size.

Though it ll affect its stability but if you don't do 120km/hr, you are safe
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by madgoat(m): 7:50am On Feb 05, 2019
greenhulk:
As for me oh, I raised my 4 suspensions a little bit and I don't see anything wrong with it. My car is just too low and Lagos roads are terrible. came with 235/45/R17 and it took a lot of beatings from Lagos bad roads. Changed tires to 225/55/R17 still no significant change. So I raised it a bit from the shocks and that did it. Yes I know it would affect the handling at top speed, but come to think of it, I don't intend to drive at 200km/hr, nor do I intend to make sharp turns at 150km/hr. I think people just exaggerate this whole handling thing. Cars with low ground clearance are built for speed, handling and sharp turns at top speed which I never intend to do, I don't go above 140km/hr on the highway. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to pay to have a better ground clearance. Moreover, it is not even half as high as SUV's and those SUV's still drive and handle well (like they are supposed to).

You are very funny. Why should you even be driving that fast at 140km/hr. Are u sure u have sense at all?
When u crash now, we will see ur graphic pix on Nairaland and people will be feeling sorry for you not knowing its senselessness that caused it.

5 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 05, 2019
madgoat:

You are very funny. Why should you even be driving that fast at 140km/hr. Are u sure u have sense at all?
When u crash now, we will see ur graphic pix on Nairaland and people will be feeling sorry for you not knowing its senselessness that caused it.

ur moniker says it all. Actually we don't entertain ur kind on cartalk, I blame the mod that brought this to front page. Now run along.

7 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Raise My Car Suspensions? by Palmerbarry: 8:00am On Feb 05, 2019
Readonee35L:
smiley
Is this truck a Mercedes?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Overheating Headache With Honda Accord 1997 Model / What Car Speed Can You Comfortably Maintain? / Alert: Car Suddenly Jerks With Intermittent Blinking CEL!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.