Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,789 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos (10117 Views)

Facebook Copies Snapchat Feature: Feature Goes Live In Nigeria / Nigeria’s Emergency Number 7411 Goes Live / Etisalat Goes Live On Main One Submarine Cable System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by init4dmoni(m): 8:27pm On Jul 02, 2010
any pricing details??
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 02, 2010
How come aren't hearing of over inflated contract for this Main One cable project? If a project like this was handled by Nitel, you can be sure the Siemens of this world would have offered hundreds of millions of dollars bribe to top government and Nitel officials to award them the contract. As Paddy_lo said, the result would be shoddy job at outrageous cost. This corruption is one reason why government owned companies fail.

How I wish the electricity sector would be deregulated so that the gains we're all seeing in the telecom sector would be replicated there. No one has to beg private individuals to invest in telecom infrastructure like we are begging private investors to biuld refineries and power plants with no success. They invest because the regulatory environment is conducive and government does not dictate the prices they can charge as we are seeing in the power and downstream petroleum sector. The day Nigerians can have electricity in their homes and businesses without subscribing to PHCN marks the day PHCN will go moribund like Nitel and the beginning of our national revival.

So folks, when you keep asking government to run sectors it has no business in, remember we all suffer like we're suffering now with electricity.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:30pm On Jul 02, 2010
so whose internet is faster?

all u glo and mainone staff should quit thiss rubbish free ads here o.n as long as u have nothing to show us as per concrete performance, shut it

AS FOR CHEAPER, BERRA DONT DECEIVE URSELVES, NO BE MTN AND CO? STARCOMMS ET ALL?
starcomms subscription for 1x is 10 grand, 1x internet., BB subs in uk is what 5 pounds or thereabout, here we mumu are paying 5k and feeling cool and hip, abi 250x5=1,250. for uk o, for naija its 3-4x more expensive,

THIEVES, ALL OF THEM THIEVES. 3gb for 10k, God punish una
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Wallie(m): 11:47pm On Jul 02, 2010
kalokalo:

How I wish the electricity sector would be deregulated so that the gains we're all seeing in the telecom sector would be replicated there. No one has to beg private individuals to invest in telecom infrastructure like we are begging private investors to biuld refineries and power plants with no success. They invest because the regulatory environment is conducive and government does not dictate the prices they can charge as we are seeing in the power and downstream petroleum sector. The day Nigerians can have electricity in their homes and businesses without subscribing to PHCN marks the day PHCN will go moribund like Nitel and the beginning of our national revival.

So folks, when you keep asking government to run sectors it has no business in, remember we all suffer like we're suffering now with electricity.
Power is inherently different from the telecom sector because it is a basic amenity and the price has to be somewhat regulated. Even here in the US, the prices are regulated and the providers cannot raise prices without going through some oversight committee.

But you’re right that what will bring about PPP is a well laid out policy.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 12:43am On Jul 03, 2010
Power is inherently different from the telecom sector because it is a basic amenity and the price has to be somewhat regulated. Even here in the US, the prices are regulated and the providers cannot raise prices without going through some oversight committee.

But you’re right that what will bring about PPP is a well laid out policy.

I dont buy that basic amenity B.S. . . .Let there be light and if ppl can only afford it 3hrs a day. . so be it

but GOVT must hands off power in NIGERIA. . .
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Wallie(m): 1:28am On Jul 03, 2010
paddy_lo:

I dont buy that basic amenity B.S. . . .Let there be light and if ppl can only afford it 3hrs a day. . so be it

but GOVT must hands off power in NIGERIA. . .

Can you name a country that has done it the way you're advocating and how's it working out for them?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Nobody: 4:22am On Jul 03, 2010
Wallie:

Can you name a country that has done it the way you're advocating and how's it working out for them?

Government has to hands off power in the sense that they should have no involvement in the provision of electricity service. Their role should be strictly limited to regulation NOT service provider (similar to a state public service commission in the US). If government remains a market player, we will pray for electricity till eternity and nothing will change. PHCN has been a government monopoly since independence and still cant boast of efficient power delivery. Just imagine if Nigeria had to depend on Nitel for all the progress we're seeing in the Telecom sector!!!

In the US, investor owned utilities are allowed to charge prices that are cost reflective. In other words, they can earn a profit premium of no more than 18% on their running costs. I know this because I was an engineer at Consolidated Edison in NYC and I made rate case interrogatories with the NY PSC. A situation where PHCN can not charge end consumers more than N6 (due to NERC Multi year tariff regulations) per kwh while their generation cost alone is N22 per kwh is unsustainable and not bankable. I definitely won't get a bank to lend me money to build power plants when the person I'm selling power to can't recover his costs to at least pay for my service. I'd rather prefer to distribute myself and recover my costs but the law specifically bars generation companies from distributing.

With this scenario, power supply in Nigeria will remain a pipe dream. Power is highly capital intensive (i.e high investment risk) and the ROI must justify investment of such magnitude. The existing regulatory framework is NOT conducive.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by nateevs(m): 11:06am On Jul 03, 2010
Any bandwidth tests yet?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Wallie(m): 12:22pm On Jul 03, 2010
kalokalo:

Government has to hands off power in the sense that they should have no involvement in the provision of electricity service. Their role should be strictly limited to regulation NOT service provider (similar to a state public service commission in the US). If government remains a market player, we will pray for electricity till eternity and nothing will change. PHCN has been a government monopoly since independence and still cant boast of efficient power delivery. Just imagine if Nigeria had to depend on Nitel for all the progress we're seeing in the Telecom sector!!!

In the US, investor owned utilities are allowed to charge prices that are cost reflective. In other words, they can earn a profit premium of no more than 18% on their running costs. I know this because I was an engineer at Consolidated Edison in NYC and I made rate case interrogatories with the NY PSC. A situation where PHCN can not charge end consumers more than N6 (due to NERC Multi year tariff regulations) per kwh while their generation cost alone is N22 per kwh is unsustainable and not bankable. I definitely won't get a bank to lend me money to build power plants when the person I'm selling power to can't recover his costs to at least pay for my service. I'd rather prefer to distribute myself and recover my costs but the law specifically bars generation companies from distributing.

With this scenario, power supply in Nigeria will remain a pipe dream. Power is highly capital intensive (i.e high investment risk) and the ROI must justify investment of such magnitude. The existing regulatory framework is NOT conducive.

I agree 100% with what you've said and that's way I said the right policies have to be in place.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 1:45pm On Jul 03, 2010

Thanks. . they say madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
I just dont understand why people expect that GOVT can run a power plant

That is not the job of GOVT, or Politicians,they are not trained for that
If the GOVT owned power plant needs servicing,it would take ages to do it

There will be corruption and poor service

The best way to go is to apply market forces to the problem like u state above
Let the Private power plant owners be able to charge a percentage above their cost of production

right now the people that run generators,probably pay way above that N22 per KWh
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Wallie(m): 3:48pm On Jul 03, 2010
I think people clamoring for zero regulation of a public private partnership are being shortsighted. "To see what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle." Do you know what will happen if we’re being shortsighted?

1. Take a look at the oil-producing region for a clue. Despite the profits being made, you have catastrophic environmental damage, mostly foreign skilled personnel, highly underdeveloped region etc. Compare the Niger Delta to the Gulf of Mexico to see what the right amount of regulation can achieve.
2. Not long ago, people were complaining about Ericsson or some other company outsourcing most of their technical job to India. The only reason they can do that is because there are no policies in place that will prohibit or mitigate the outsourcing.
I’m neither advocating for the government to deliver power nor for over-regulation. All I’m saying is that we can’t be shortsighted by just looking at the immediate gains and not thinking long term.

A good policy is a balancing act that allows companies and competition to thrive while ensuring that some of the profits being made are benefiting the local populace in areas like development, employment, knowledge transfer, corporate responsibility and accountability.

All I’ve said would seem common sense.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 3:50pm On Jul 03, 2010
Government's role in power industry should be to regulate and as a producer and transmitter with other players, we can not hand over power fully to the private sector (imagine MTN times infinity), what we need to understand is that we need the government to carry out some duties, we can not outsource all the functions of the government, telecoms is child's play compared to power, your typical MTN is a giant PBX, power is too damned capital intensive to leave in the hands of people whose first thought is how to milk the general populace. We need the government to be efficient in certain areas such as provision of water, road and other infrastructure. A government that does not carry out its function and gives the power sector to private people will balkanise the country, the people in cities (due to higher purchasing power) will have light, the ones living villages and towns eking out a living will not, causing rural urban shift, congesting the urban areas and leading to more issues, we actually need our rural areas to retain the people. The Federal Government was able to provide electricity during the late eighties, why cant they do it now?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:53pm On Jul 03, 2010
I think people clamoring for zero regulation of a public private partnership are being shortsighted. "To see what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle." Do you know what will happen if we’re being shortsighted?

1.   Take a look at the oil-producing region for a clue. Despite the profits being made, you have catastrophic environmental damage, mostly foreign skilled personnel, highly underdeveloped region etc. Compare the Niger Delta to the Gulf of Mexico to see what the right amount of regulation can achieve.

Nobody is saying dont regulate. . .The issue is that the Nigerian GOVT should not run things like power,refineries and so on
They should not be spending and wasting money on such things. . .

They are better served spending that money on poverty reduction and social spending,like building schools,health care and low income housing. . .

As for the Niger Delta. . all the major oil companies run Joint ventures with NNPC which is majority owned by the Nigerian GOVT
so its another case of GOVT failure if u ask me
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:59pm On Jul 03, 2010
The Federal Government was able to provide electricity during the late eighties, why cant they do it now?

What was your GDP in the 80s and what is it now?

What was your population in the 80s and what is it now?

Sometimes u guys baffle me. . . . .It is expected that we need a minimum of 40,000MW by 2020 just to keep up with population growth

It cost an average of $1million to produce 1mw

so we are talking close to $40billion - $50billion just on generation

u need to spend money on transmission, and distribution infrastructure

where will that money come from since no bank(anywhere in the world) whose management is not insane will lend i cent to PHCN
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Wallie(m): 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2010
paddy_lo:

The issue is that the Nigerian GOVT should not run things like power,refineries and so on
They should not be spending and wasting money on such things. . .

I don’t know o! Why does it seem like we’re running around in circles even though we seem to be saying the same thing? Who said that the govt should run refineries, power and the like?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by hercules07: 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2010
paddy_lo:

What was your GDP in the 80s and what is it now?

What was your population in the 80s and what is it now?

Sometimes u guys baffle me. . . . .It is expected that we need a minimum of 40,000MW by 2020 just to keep up with population growth

It cost an average of $1million to produce 1mw

so we are talking close to $40billion - $50billion just on generation

u need to spend money on transmission, and distribution infrastructure

where will that money come from since no bank(anywhere in the world) whose management is not insane will lend i cent to PHCN

That should have read government should provide part of the electricity now and that statement referred to their ability to get their acts together to provide the electricity, if they can generate 4000MW consistently and other IPPs generate say 6000MW, we will be on the way there, our population has grown yes and so has our GDP (economists bear me out). Private investors bringing in the whole of the $40 - $50 billion dollars will be interested in milking us the same way the telecoms companies were milking us. I do not have a problem with private companies distributing but I want government to take part in generation and to own the national grid (private companies can build local grids that will connect to the national one). We need to demand greater efficiency from our governments, they have done it in the past, they can do it again.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by holyghost(m): 5:38pm On Jul 03, 2010
Main one Main one Cable welcome to Nigeria

Now show your colour( i hope you will not dash our hopes like GLO1 did?)
we still pay very high internetwork bills even intranetwork did not improve at all
calls still hangs and drops like mongoes from trees and yet the service providers
yank money out of our pockets and NCC claps to that by providing them with all sorts of mouth
and Jaw braking and tearing Awards
e.g TECH company of the year
Network Company of the decade
broadband company of the century

only them and devil knows what all that means
honestly Nigerians are always shortchanged all the way big time!
we keep changing from ISP ABCD to UWYZ or 1234 to !@#$ to mumu and lost of words
in all this money dey go out of our pockets to the Best Stealing Companies of the Year!!!

main one cable welcome againg!!!
kiss
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2010
hercules07:

Government's role in power industry should be to regulate and as a producer and transmitter with other players, we can not hand over power fully to the private sector (imagine MTN times infinity), what we need to understand is that we need the government to carry out some duties, we can not outsource all the functions of the government, telecoms is child's play compared to power, your typical MTN is a giant PBX, power is too damned capital intensive to leave in the hands of people whose first thought is how to milk the general populace. We need the government to be efficient in certain areas such as provision of water, road and other infrastructure. A government that does not carry out its function and gives the power sector to private people will balkanise the country, the people in cities (due to higher purchasing power) will have light, the ones living villages and towns eking out a living will not, causing rural urban shift, congesting the urban areas and leading to more issues, we actually need our rural areas to retain the people. The Federal Government was able to provide electricity during the late eighties, why cant they do it now?

There is no enterprise that Government runs in Nigeria that works. The list is too long to regurgitate here. Even the act of governance by Nigerian governments fails. Power generation, transmission and distribution is too critical to be left to the bureaucratic bottlenecks and red-tape of the state. Government participation in the industry only hamstrings development in the sector. What is needed is regulation NOT participation.

I respectfully say that Hercules07 is naive to keep demanding efficient power delivery from the government when the nation's experience since independence points to the contrary. The private sector is efficient because it maximizes their ROI, a motivation the state lacks. PHCN always has a fall-back to the government irrespective of their poor service.

It is ironic that the 'poor' in Nigeria prefer to pay more to use private telecom serivice than to pay less for Nitel service or send their kids to private primary schools than, say, Jakande schools. Why? The answer to this question gives an indication that PHCN will not be able to compete with private power service providers. It will go moribund like Nitel despite it being more affordable to the 'poor'.

Electricity is a good and the price a private provider charges for that good will act as a mechanism to check demand. This is why electricity supply in Nigeria cannot meet demand which is due to price charged (that is not even cost reflective).

As an example, cost of power in the US rural areas in cheaper than in urban high demand areas primarily because rural incomes will not support the prices utilities may want to charge and this forces them to reduce their unit cost of electricity per kwh so as to spur demand. In fact, this is one reason why industries site in rural areas to take advantage of cheap power. So fears of rural urban migration drift because of electricity is misplaced.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by james1(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2010
Big up fola.you are the best.
May the good prosper thee in all thou doest.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2010
There is no enterprise that Government runs in Nigeria that works. The list is too long to regurgitate here. Even the act of governance by Nigerian governments fails. Power generation, transmission and distribution is too critical to be left to the bureaucratic bottlenecks and red-tape of the state. Government participation in the industry only hamstrings development in the sector. What is needed is regulation NOT participation.

I respectfully say that Hercules07 is naive to keep demanding efficient power delivery from the government when the nation's experience since independence points to the contrary.

MINT!!. . . I however wonder why this basic simple fact seems to elude otherwise brilliant Nigerians. .

There must be something that makes them keep believing in the fairy tale of an efficiently run GOVT enterprise/Corporation

I am yet to come accross even one whether in Nigeria or the USA
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by akinalabi(m): 2:55pm On Jul 04, 2010
zoelife:

Good one for Naija.This Fola Adeolu guy is really someone to watch.

One to watch? He's already well known.

Fola Adeola. He built GTB remember?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:42pm On Jul 04, 2010
MARK MY WORDS, YOUR INTERNET[b] WILL NOT BE ANY FASTER!!!![/b]
wonder why all these misguided noise!!

tseew, no be naija be dis, or is it main one that will supply u band width directly? with the cartel model being run in telecoms?

and can some body pls explain to me why starcomms subscription for 1x is N10, 000 a month? 1x internet
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Dclique(m): 5:21pm On Jul 04, 2010
Thats sad. Here in africa, internet is such a big deal to us. In yankee it isn't. Its fast and affordable for all.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by Dclique(m): 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2010
Thats sad. Here in africa, internet is such a big deal to us. In yankee it isn't. Its fast and affordable for all.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by malikalhaj: 7:54pm On Jul 04, 2010
4llerbuntu:

MARK MY WORDS, YOUR INTERNET[b] WILL NOT BE ANY FASTER!!!![/b]
wonder why all these misguided noise!!

tseew, no be naija be dis, or is it main one that will supply u band width directly? with the cartel model being run in telecoms?

and can some body pls explain to me why starcomms subscription for 1x is N10, 000 a month? 1x internet
they just went live in lagos give 'em a little tym
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by cvibe: 10:36pm On Jul 04, 2010
Is Glo 1 still existing? Thought they arrived in Nigeria since Dec/Jan.
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by stivin(m): 2:30pm On Jul 06, 2010
PAULA P
YOU DID WELL TO HAVE BROUGHT THIS INFO TO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, DEFINITELY I WILL LIKE TO BE KEPT POSTED ON THIS THANX MAN
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by mcmsat(m): 5:23pm On Jul 06, 2010
SUBMARINE OR SURFACE, THEY HAVE NO MEANING TO ME!? NA 2DE?
UNTILL I SEE SUCH IN PRACTICE, USE IT MYSELF. WE ALWAYS LIVE IN DREAMS! MAIN ONE OR ORDINARY ONE, I AM NOT INTERESTED YET. ONE DAY HOPE WILL START KILLING NIGERIANS!?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by mcmsat(m): 5:28pm On Jul 06, 2010
UNTILL I SEE SUCH IN PRACTICE, USE IT MYSELF. WE ALWAYS LIVE IN DREAMS! MAIN ONE OR ORDINARY ONE, I AM NOT INTERESTED YET. ONE DAY HOPE WILL START KILLING NIGERIANS!?
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by mcmsat(m): 5:29pm On Jul 06, 2010
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:46pm On Jul 06, 2010
^^^ guy, thumbs up jare

some boys wey dey work for the coys dey come do free marketing for here dey disturb us.

as long as me no see better speed and price for my lapie, make dem chop the cable jo. all this noise, like say no be naija we dey. watch out o, give them 3 months we go soon begin dey hear excuses of how na nigerian govt no make the internet fast or how mammy water cut the cable so dem wan go beg am!!!!
Re: Main One Cable Goes Live In Lagos by sendtodeji: 9:58pm On Jul 06, 2010
I used to wonder why the cost of Internet access is so high in Nigeria compared to what obtains in countries like UK and US. I was in the market interviewing satellite providers in the US if I could get a package that will cost the same as what they offer in the US but was constantly told "NO". I ventured to ask them for an explanation and the one they give me relieved me of the mystery and gave me a better understanding of how these things work. I will like to share this perspective with us all as a way of saying that we should not expect too much from these private companies, at least not as much as can be obtained in the US or UK.

The sales guy at the satellite provider told me that US costs is lower because the government subsidizes it! It was such a short, simple and seemingly obvious but elusive answer that never occurred to me. The truth is that US government allocates a large chunk of money for broadband proliferation every year. It is always part of the budget for telecommunication infrastructure. Will Nigerian government be kind enough to help us out with this? If there is no effort in this direction, we might not get much in terms of price reduction but the quality of service might likely improve a bit.

The news does not excite me a bit seeing what happened in the case of NigComSat and Glo-1. The only thing that will excite me is when they start telling us their distribution strategy. It may be true that the major cities in Nigeria are Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja but the combined revenue possibilities in the "not so big" cities in the rest of Nigeria makes it imperative that their distribution strategy includes a national coverage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Download Whatsapp On Tecno P3 / Oneplus 6T: Leaks, Release Date, Price & Specs / Connecting To Mtn Customer Care Easily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.