Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,538 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. (5330 Views)

Visa Lottery Winner, Other Arrested Over Scam Marriage / I'm Afraid Of Applying For A Us Visa Again / President Jonathan Applies For 2014 Us Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 5:00am On Jul 02, 2010
Hello all,
my parents,51 and 56 years old just won the 2011 visa lottery to the US,Alone.They did not include any of us their kids.
actaully my big sister ,i and kid brother are over 21 so we arent eligible,but my younger sibblings are teenagers and eligible
Now both parents are not educated,my mum only finished secondary school  while my dad did not finish.I very much doubt their capacity to go bak to school in the states.
again,our family has faced some financial hard ship in the past years wt business going downhill,but recently things just started looking up a lil bit for us.
Now considering all these,their age,education  ,business and in particular the fact they might neva go bak to school,is it advisable  they make the move?
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 9:12am On Jul 02, 2010
who won the lottery? your mom or your dad?
They could actually be disqualified at the embassy for not adding their kids under the age of 18 to the initial DV application.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 2:37pm On Jul 02, 2010
My mum won the lottery and pls lets not go into the issue of their being disqualified.
the plan is just to go there alone wt the assumption that those kids arent there.
Wat i need  to know is the prospect available for dem there considering their age, the fact they might get bak to school to improve demselves.

pls the story is not abt me but abt ny friend who is seeking my opinion and i need some response.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by oyewolejos(m): 5:05pm On Jul 02, 2010
lovelynk:

Hello all,
my parents,51 and 56 years old just won the 2011 visa lottery to the US,Alone.They did not include any of us their 7 kids.
actaully my big sister ,i and kid brother are over 21 so we arent eligible,but my 4 younger sibblings are teenagers and eligible
Now both parents are not educated,my mum only finished secondary school while my dad did not finish.I very much doubt their capacity to go bak to school in the states.
again,our family has faced some financial hard ship in the past years wt business going downhill,but recently things just started looking up a lil bit for us.
Now considering all these,their age,education ,business and in particular the fact they might neva go bak to school,is it advisable they make the move?

Considering their age and their level of education then it will amount to suicide if they decide to come here to come and hustle.Had it been they are educated now they can come here and work as a professional.But since they aint educated then they will be coming here to do menial jobs which is not good for them at this their age.
But since u said things have started looking up financially for them they can come here with money and establish something like a Group Home or a Day Care which old Nigerian normally do here.With that they can be making money and make a way for u kids to come over.
Since they won the Green Card it will be advisable for them to leave the stress associated with Nigeria and come here for a better life only if they can bring cash to come and put something here.Since age is not on their side anymore they need the best out of life so let them come.Theywill have access to God health care which they neeed at this age.
Just my 2 cents though
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by coolier(f): 8:00pm On Jul 02, 2010
lovelynk:

Now both parents are not educated,my mum only finished secondary school  while my dad did not finish.I very much doubt their capacity to go bak to school in the states.

Nobody is too old to go back to school. When there is a Will there is Way!.

oyewolejos:

Since age is not on their side anymore

When there is Life, there is Hope!

johnkent:

They could actually be disqualified at the embassy for not adding their kids under the age of 18 to the initial DV application.

Nobody gets disqualified for not adding their kids to their application. It only means they are applying for themselves alone and none of their kids would accompany them.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 3:40am On Jul 03, 2010
@oyewolejos,
thanks for your advice.
Truth is dat things are not good enof to the point of coming wt enof money to invest.
actually if they shld come here it will be to hustle.it is because i know they will only be here to hustle dat i am sort concerned.

@coolier,
they sure will be disqualified if the consular finds out they have eligible kids wc they did not include.
the instruction is to include all eligible family members even if they are not migrating wt u.
Failure to include dem means u lied in your initial application and will result in disqualifaction.
i know because i have gone thru the process.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 5:10am On Jul 03, 2010
lovelynk:

@oyewolejos,
thanks for your advice.
Truth is dat things are not good enof to the point of coming wt enof money to invest.
actually if they shld come here it will be to hustle.it is because i know they will only be here to hustle dat i am sort concerned.

@coolier,
they sure will be disqualified if the consular finds out they have eligible kids wc they did not include.
the instruction is to include all eligible famil members even if they are not migrating wt u.
Failure to include dem means u lied in your initial application and will result in disqualifaction.
i know because i have gone thru the process.

They'll absolutely be disqualified. I'll advise that they save the visa money that they'll be spending at the embassy for something useful.
Them trying to lie that they dont have any kids wouldn't work but if it did, and they got a visa, just know that you and ur siblings will NEVER emigrate to the US through ur parents when they become permanent residents/citizens cuz they supposedly do not have any kids and if they turn around to say they have kids in nigeria, they could face deportation for lying to an immigration officer.
Just remember that you get sworn in before an Immigrant visa interview to tell the truth and nothing but the truth and y'all nigerians think you can get away with lying during the interview

Again, I'll advise they stay back in Nigeria. At their age, they should be thinking about retiring and not how to start a new life in America cuz they'll probably not make it here.
Am just being honest.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 4:23pm On Jul 03, 2010
@Johnkent
I know all the pros and cons of not including their kids.
My question right now is shld they ever make it,wat prospects awaits dem?
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by denzel2009: 4:54pm On Jul 03, 2010
My sister just collected her DV lottery and narrated her experience that she was scared when they refused a couple with their kids after paying around 600k visa fee. Just advise your parents to keep enjoying their lives in naija,its not even easy for young people to survive overseas these days not to talk of old people.

Assuming your younger ones were added,they could have risked going ahead with the processing for their benefit.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 5:10pm On Jul 03, 2010
Denzel dats exactly my fear.
i know how hard it is for young people to survive and i am afraid they arent really up to dat.
Worse is dat no one of the kids was included.
at least if they had included dem they will do the hustling but its not so.
again the possiblity of their kids coming in the future is zero cos if they ever succeed it is assumed dat they dont have kids!!!!!!!! except of course they will consider the kids that were over 21 cos they were not eligible in the 1st instance to be included.
But apart from dat it looks to me like the thing is just a dead end.
i am only trying to get the opinion of others before telling dem wat i think.[/tt]
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2010
lovelynk:

Denzel dats exactly my fear.
i know how hard it is for young people to survive and i am afraid they arent really up to dat.
Worse is dat no one of the kids was included.
at least if they had included dem they will do the hustling but its not so.
again the possiblity of their kids coming in the future is zero cos if they ever succeed it is assumed dat they dont have kids!!!!!!!! except of course they will consider the kids that were over 21 cos they were not eligible in the 1st instance to be included.
But apart from dat it looks to me like the thing is just a dead end.
i am only trying to get the opinion of others before telling dem wat i think.[/tt]

Sounds like you are wanting someone to tell you what you want to hear but we've already told ya what a friend would tell ya.

Hold on, But if your parents happen to have extra money that they want to gamble with, they sure can try out for the visa and like u said, explain to them that none of their kids were included because they were over the age of 21.
If they do infact get the visa, all their childing over the age of 21 including you (which they'll have to include on their visa application at the US embassy) will be eligible to apply for permanent residency through them.
And if you guys(the kids) finally get a greencard and later on citizenship, you can file for your other siblings that were not able to be included in the DV lottery immigrant visa petition because ur parents didn't add them to the DV lottery application.

Gosh, i just thought about this and it should absolutely work out. No doubt. Boi, am good. U owe me a drink nigga.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2010
All hope is not lost afterall
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 6:11pm On Jul 03, 2010
lol @Johnkent.
Well,like i said dis is not me.
i am only trying to get info for some good frined.
I live in the states and i know its not easy even for the young talk of the ageing couple.
Thank you for ur candid advise.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 6:24pm On Jul 03, 2010
where in the states are ya
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 6:29pm On Jul 03, 2010
Am in Texas.
And am right to assume u are in California?
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 6:59pm On Jul 03, 2010
Yes sir.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by Vicjustice: 9:57am On Jul 04, 2010
lovelynk:

Hello all,
my parents,51 and 56 years old just won the 2011 visa lottery to the US,Alone.They did not include any of us their kids.
actaully my big sister ,i and kid brother are over 21 so we arent eligible,but my younger sibblings are teenagers and eligible
Now both parents are not educated,my mum only finished secondary school while my dad did not finish.I very much doubt their capacity to go bak to school in the states.
Now considering all these,their age,education ,business and in particular the fact they might neva go bak to school,is it advisable they make the move?
   Well, i don't think the main concern is about the fact that the parents omitted the children information in their application because, that issue might not come up before the parents are disqualified.
   Now, winning a visa lottery is not an automatic qualification for the visa, one has to meet every eligibility which includes: Education (and if you are not educated, you must have a certified) Profession, Prime age and Transparent honesty.
   Bear in mind that we are not talking about visiting or tourist visa neither are we talking about asylum application, but we're talking about immigrant visas. Therefore, the US embassy will likely disqualify anyone of such calibre for fear that such immigrant might not be useful to their country rather, they will more likely become a liability to the US government and resort to public funds.
   The programme is intended for young useful and contributing class of people, not aged ones with questionable information

denzel2009:

My sister just collected her DV lottery and narrated her experience that she was scared when they refused a couple with their kids after paying around 600k visa fee. Just advise your parents to keep enjoying their lives in naija,its not even easy for young people to survive overseas these days not to talk of old people.

Assuming your younger ones were added,they could have risked going ahead with the processing for their benefit.
What visa fee would cost 600k, is that a visa for Mars planet or for the moon?

1 Like

Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by denzel2009: 10:06am On Jul 04, 2010
Vicjustice:

Ok $775 each for 4 applicants + 20k each Police report + 30k each medicals.

In other words, over 600k went down the drain.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2010
Vicjustice:

Well, i don't think the main concern is about the fact that the parents omitted the children information in their application because, that issue might not come up before the parents are disqualified.
   Now, winning a visa lottery is not an automatic qualification for the visa, one has to meet every eligibility which includes: Education (and if you are not educated, you must have a certified) Profession, Prime age and Transparent honesty.
   Bear in mind that we are not talking about visiting or tourist visa neither are we talking about asylum application, but we're talking about immigrant visas. Therefore, the US embassy will likely disqualify anyone of such calibre for fear that such immigrant might not be useful to their country rather, they will more likely become a liability to the US government and resort to public funds.
   The programme is intended for young useful and contributing class of people, not aged ones with questionable information

the minimum qualification is a high school diploma which his mom does have.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by browncocos(f): 7:56pm On Jul 04, 2010
johnkent:

the minimum qualification is a high school diploma which his mom does have.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 1:02am On Jul 05, 2010
Na wao.
Browncocos this one you dey talk like this.
i said the woman finished secondary school,how can she not be able to read and write?

and talking about CNA u know very well thats not the dream they probably have in mind coming over here.
Again, for how long will she continue doing dat job?
I am not just concerned about the present but about the future and it sort of seems if their kids cant come over they have nothing to gain in the long run.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 6:36am On Jul 05, 2010
browncocos:

and not just that
when i won in 2002 they were seeking that you have at least 5 or 6 passes in your WAEC for that matter

also I dont want to be a pessimist but they have to go through rigorous medicals which I doubt they might pass considering their age

my 2 cents if they have small money to burn she can risk the interview

and if she is lucky she can go and be a care giver in the states i know a lot of caregivers personally in their mid 50s and they make quite a sum ranging from 2k a month to as much as 3k a month taking care of the elderly

she can go for a CNA certification in less than 2 months assuming she can read,write and communicate well ,she could start work if she passes the exams

rigorous medicals medicals includes HIV, TB skin test, and shots. Their isnt anything rigorous about it.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by browncocos(f): 8:36am On Jul 05, 2010
[sup][/sup]
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by browncocos(f): 8:45am On Jul 05, 2010
lovelynk:

Na wao.
Browncocos this one you dey talk like this.
i said the woman finished secondary school,how can she not be able to read and write?

and talking about [b][b]CNA u know very well thats not the dream they probably have in mind coming over here.
Again, for how long will she continue doing dat job?
[/b][/b]
I am not just concerned about the present but about the future and it sort of seems if their kids cant come over they have nothing to gain in the long run.

Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by member65: 2:51pm On Jul 06, 2010
lovelynk:

Hello all,
my parents,51 and 56 years old just won the 2011 visa lottery to the US,Alone.They did not include any of us their  kids.
actaully my big sister ,i and kid brother are over 21 so we arent eligible,but my  younger sibblings are teenagers and eligible
Now considering all these,their age,education  ,business and in particular the fact they might neva go bak to school,is it advisable  they make the move?

To piggyback on what Vicjustice said, DV is intended to bring your and fresh folks who could contribute to the growth of the US and not be a liability that’s why you have the minimum education requirement and profession cert. Although when the DV originally started it wasn’t so. They have since up the ante. Now, regarding the children being a disqualification thing, forget it. They could explain it away that since the children aren’t migrating or look for another excuse. On the other hand, they could always file for the children later. They should do this when they become citizens though. The max USCIS would do is requiring a proof which they could overcome by doing DNA tests. Meanwhile, the interview could go either way. If they’re enjoying their lives in Naija, they should stay put. I know many older folks who also won the DV but refused to take up the offer.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by lovelynk(f): 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2010
_________:

To piggyback on what Vicjustice said, DV is intended to bring your and fresh folks who could contribute to the growth of the US and not be a liability that’s why you have the minimum education requirement and profession cert. Although when the DV originally started it wasn’t so. They have since up the ante. Now, regarding the children being a disqualification thing, forget it. They could explain it away that since the children aren’t migrating or look for another excuse. On the other hand, they could always file for the children later. They should do this when they become citizens though. The max USCIS would do is requiring a proof which they could overcome by doing DNA tests. Meanwhile, the interview could go either way. If they’re enjoying their lives in Naija, they should stay put. I know many older folks who also won the DV but refused to take up the offer.

u definitely can not explain away the failure to include ur qualified kids while playing the lottery.the instruction is very clear and if at any time u raise the issue of having kids that u never included u will be DISQUALIFIED.
There is provision on the visa forms where u are to list all ur kids/family members irrespective of whether they are migrating with u and another space where u list ONLY the kids/family members dat are n migrating wt u.

In any case,failure to list the kids means u are sort saying u have no kids and that goes into the records.
it will den be difficukt to come back in the future to say u have got kids and all dat.
z
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by canuck(m): 7:05pm On Jul 06, 2010
@ Topic

The woman who won the DV lottery is qualified, since she has her high school diploma.

Her husband should print and laminate the picture of Marjorie Elliott, and tell the US embassy interviewer that Marjorie is his mentor!

Marjorie was on CBS news a few days ago - She just earned her high school diploma at the age of 75!  cheesy

Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by member65: 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2010
lovelynk:

u definitely can not explain away the failure to include your qualified kids while playing the lottery.the instruction is very clear and if at any time u raise the issue of having kids that u never included u will be DISQUALIFIED.
There is provision on the visa forms where u are to list all your kids/family members irrespective of whether they are migrating with u and another space where u list ONLY the kids/family members dat are n migrating wt u.

In  any case,failure to list the kids means u are sort saying u have no kids and that goes into the records.
it will den be difficukt to come back in the future to say u have got kids and all dat.
z
What I'm saying is that they could choose not to disclose that they've children at the interview. Upon migration to the US, 5yrs later they'd acquire citizenship, then they could file for the kids. Trust me, I have seen worse and it does work out even if it takes time. Expand your scope and visit other immigration online forums especially the ones in google. This is cakewalk compared to the blunders others had done and were still able to recover. Life is not always black and white.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by Select(m): 5:42pm On Jul 07, 2010
Hi,
@ denzel2009 and browncocos
A brother of mine just got his letter as a selectee for the visa lottery. Can u pls put me through on hw he wil go about filling and submitting the forms?
U can pls reach me on select500@yahoo.com or call/send text to 08023427793. I am in Lagos.
Thanks.
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by browncocos(f): 8:55pm On Jul 07, 2010
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by johnkent(m): 5:24am On Jul 08, 2010
Go to portal immigrations and under DV lottery forum, u should get all the information you need
Re: My Parents And The Us Visa Lottery. by dove24u(m): 7:36pm On Jul 08, 2010
Go to this site add: http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Lottery-Visas-DV, you will get enough info about Dv issue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uk Spouse Visa / Which City Is More Developed, Nairobi Or Lagos? (as Seen On Quora) / Ghana Vs South Africa Which Is Better For A Freelancer To Migrate To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.