Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,550 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Picture of Broad Street - Lagos (1951) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Picture of Broad Street - Lagos (1951) (8764 Views)

Picture Of Broad Street (1951) / This Girl Was Chopped Up In Broad Daylight In Front Of A Crowd In Hillbrow, Jhg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Picture of Broad Street - Lagos (1951) by N101: 2:47am On Aug 12, 2011
VOR:

Here is  the link to where this picture originated from.
There are several other interesting pictures depicting
various places in Nigeria taken a long time ago.

If you can take the time to read the whole diary
it is really interesting and gives a view of Nigeria
through a racist colonist
. If you read the sentence
immediately above the first picture you will know why
I call her a racist. Sad I know, but nevertheless
you get a sense to some extent
of what Nigeria was like in those days.

http://eryptick.net/unisold/amj/nigeria-1951/nigeria-diary.html

I don't agree with the bolded, even though I find her descriptions of things quite shocking.  Remember this was written before certain comment, attitudes and statement were considered politically correct.  It was obvious that she had never encountered black people before - just as her entourage were viewed with fascination by locals, she viewed them the same.
Re: Picture of Broad Street - Lagos (1951) by dustydee: 12:52pm On Aug 12, 2011
Wow! don't we have car collectors in Nigeria? Where are all those types of vehicles?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) / Nigerian Drug Mule Died Because Staff Thought He Had Ebola / Eid-El-Kabir: Osun Government Announces Free Round-Trip Train Ride From Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.