Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Naomi Osaka Beats Serena Williams In Controversial US Open Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Naomi Osaka Beats Serena Williams In Controversial US Open Final (293 Views)

Serena Williams In Tears After Semi-final Loss To Naomi Osaka (Photos, Video) / Serena Williams In Tears After Injury In Rogers Cup Final, Touching (Photos) / Laolu Senbanjo Paints Serena Williams In Creative Artwork (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Naomi Osaka Beats Serena Williams In Controversial US Open Final by Xquisite360: 7:48am On Sep 09, 2018
Serena Williams accusses official of sexism in US Open defeat to Japan-born tennis player, Naomi Osaka.

It was a final filled with anger, tension, accusations, boos and tears that overshadowed Naomi Osaka's remarkable US open final victory against her childhood female tennis idol, Serena Williams.

Osaka is a rising star who became the first tennis player born in Japan to win a Grand Slam championship, defeating Williams, 6-2, 6-4, in the women’s final of the United States Open on Saturday, making Williams unable to achieve a record-tying 24th major singles title.

But the match will long be remembered for a series of confrontations between Williams and Carlos Ramos, the match’s chair umpire, who issued three penalties against Williams in the second set, after Osaka had established her dominance.

Early in the second set, chair umpire Carlos Ramos issued Williams a warning for what he judged to be illegal coaching from the stands by her coach Patrick Mouratoglou.

Williams vehemently denied the charge and pleaded with Ramos, saying, “I don’t cheat to win. I’d rather lose.”

The moment seemed to ignite Williams, who went on to take a 3-1 advantage in the second set. Back-to-back double faults in the fifth game killed her momentum, however, and Williams smashed her racket in frustration after losing the game. Ramos issued a code violation and point penalty against Williams, and boos filled Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Later in the set, during a changeover, Williams vented once again at Ramos.

“You owe me an apology,” she said, standing before the chair. “I have never cheated in my life. I have a daughter and I stand for what’s right for her. I’ve never cheated, and you owe me an apology … You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live. You are the liar. When are you going to give me my apology? You owe me an apology. Say it. Say you’re sorry. … And you stole a point from me. You’re a thief, too!” Ramos responded by issuing yet another code violation, her third, which resulted in a game penalty, putting Osaka up 5-3 in the final set and within one game of winning the match."

Osaka deserved to win her first Grand Slam under better circumstances. Instead, she looked stricken getting trophy as Serena asked them not to boo.

https://www.xquisite360.com/2018/09/naomi-osaka-beats-serena-williams-in-controversial-us-open-final.html

(1) (Reply)

How Arsenal Players Cost Wenger His Job -mertesacker / Anthony Joshua Retained His Titles With A Seventh-round Stoppage Of Povetkin / The Winning Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.