Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? (331 Views)

Webmasters What Do You Think Of This Domain Name / Webmasters, What Can I Do To Make My Blog Load Faster? It Takes Forever To Open. / Webmasters, What's Your Verdict On This Website Of Mine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by myseyf(m): 8:58pm On Sep 10, 2018
Lately I have been receiving a lot of comment on my WordPress site.
And must of em seems odd with some Chinese images but their names and email look okay.
The comments are almost similar and looks this:

"Thank you - with valuable information".

I do edit most of them to be more reasonable before approval.
The question is: am I making a mistake approving them after edit? or should I delete them?.
Note: my website is New (3 months)
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by myseyf(m): 9:03pm On Sep 10, 2018
please don't read and go. I need an answer concerning this.
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by MissCokie(f): 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2018
Don't approve them.
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by myseyf(m): 9:08pm On Sep 10, 2018
MissCokie:
Don't approve them.
I have already approved some... should I delete them?
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:11pm On Sep 10, 2018
First the comments are spam. I hope you know what spams mean. The first wrong you did was to approve them. And I want to emphasize here that most of the time, spam comments does not necessarily mean someone somewhere is checking out your site and typing in the spam comments. It can be from some plugins you installed that has been doctored by hackers with spambots.
The first thing you need to do is check yourself.
Was there any third party plugin you are using that was not from the original WordPress plugin page?
Also you should know this, if a spam bot can filter through the security walls of your site. An hacker can have access to it through that same crack. The more reason why you shouldn't ignore them but do something.
Solution: research on some very good anti spam plugins... (I think I'll suggest Akismat) set it up and see if it stops.
If not, identify the plugin that is bad and deactivate it.

Let me know if this helps

1 Like

Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by myseyf(m): 9:20pm On Sep 10, 2018
Kelvin30286063:
First the comments are spam. I hope you know what spams mean. The first wrong you did was to approve them. And I want to emphasize here that most of the time, spam comments does not necessarily mean someone somewhere is checking out your site and typing in the spam comments. It can be from some plugins you installed that has been doctored by hackers with spambots. The first thing you need to do is check yourself. Was there any third party plugin you are using that was not from the original WordPress plugin page?
Also you should know this, if a spam bot can filter through the security walls of your site. An hacker can have access to it through that same wall. The more reason why you shouldn't ignore them but do something.
Solution: research on some very good anti spam plugins... (I think I'll suggest Akismat) set it up and see if it stops.
If not, identify the plugin that is bad and deactivate it.

Let me know if this helps
Actually the comments are coming from only two articles I wrote on WordPress books and web hosting services. I do add source links for the WordPress books and the hosting services on the article. I am suspecting that's where the Spam are coming from.
Thank you. I am going to follow up with your advice.
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2018
If you need help setting up an anti spam, let me know. I'll be glad to help
No worries, it's for free
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by MissCokie(f): 9:27pm On Sep 10, 2018
myseyf:

I have already approved some... should I delete them?

Yes. Don't approve spam comments. Not good for the growth of your site.
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by MissCokie(f): 9:30pm On Sep 10, 2018
myseyf:

Actually the comments are coming from only two articles I wrote on WordPress books and web hosting services. I do add source links for the WordPress books and the hosting services on the article. I am suspecting that's where the Spam are coming from.
Thank you. I am going to follow up with your advice.

Install Akismet and delete all previously approved spam comments.. Akismet would help you filter comments on your site.

Also block your site from allowing link comments.
Re: Webmasters What Do You Do With Spam Comments On Your Site? by finnestdope(m): 10:17pm On Sep 10, 2018
Akismet is all you need, install it and set it up properly and that's all

(1) (Reply)

!!!!!buy Chat App Script!!!!!!! / Online Platform To Find GP Jobs / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.