Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa (1652 Views)

Laolu Akande: Nigeria Economy Is Rebounding Due To Preemptive Actions By PMB / BREAKING News!!! Nigeria's Presidential Election Full Results: Hope For NIGERIA / Nigeria Economy Rated Best In Africa By Forbes-see Link (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 8:32am On Sep 12, 2018
There is a fake news currently on the frontpage of this forum where a seemingly reputable government blog (von.gov.ng) quoted an article by a by an independent contributor at forbes, penrasa , claiming that Nigeria's economy is rated the best in Africa.

Now I would like to quote here that no where was it categorically stated or implied in the article that Nigeria's economy is the best in Africa. You can read up the link yourself. https://www.forbesafrica.com/economy/2018/04/09/making-nigeria/

And no where has forbes stated that Nigeria's economy is the best in Africa. You can use google to check. And if you find any article by forbes stating that Nigeria's economy has been rated best in Africa, I would give you N20k.

No 2. The article quoted is 5 months old. Can you imagine? An article written by an independent contributor 5 months ago is used to evaluate the present state of Nigeria's economy.

No 3. Nigeria's economy has been the biggest (not best) in Africa since 2014. Infact our GDP as of 2015 is $490 billion compared to the $405 billion it was in 2017. We have retrogressed basically. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tobyshapshak/2016/05/12/south-africas-economy-falls-to-third-behind-nigeria-egypt/#1a62128c4b78

I implore Nairaland to be weary of the sort of news it habours in it's platform. Forbes can sue the hell out of Nairaland for this.
And it is shameful that the same government that is claiming to be fighting fake news are themselves the bearers of fake news. Here is a link to government owned websites carrying the fake news (note the gov.ng domain. ). https://www.von.gov.ng/forbes-rates-nigeria-as-2018-best-economy-in-africa/

Below is the Fake article by 'Forbes'.

The revival of Nigeria’s economy has gained momentum under the guidance of President Buhari’s ERGP programme; its ambitious targets yield results that seem to indicate that they will soon be superseded.

In spite of difficult times, Nigeria has been rated as the top 10 most improved economies in 2016/2017.

“Nigeria is a very resilient country in terms of economy,” states Mr. Venkatapathy Venkataraman Group MD at NIPCO.

DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT HERE

This has been a result of the ERPG programme and its emphasis on industrialisation and diversification policies which boost capital inflows and encourages ease of doing business.

In November 2017 Godwin Emefiele Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN’s presented Nigeria’s economic outlook for 2018, predicting that national forex reserves will hit US$ 40bn in 2018. In introducing I&E forex the improvement in the ease of doing business is guaranteed.

“The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) played an extensive role in ensuring relative price stability and in managing the dearth of foreign exchange,” declares Mr Obeahon Ohiwerei, Managing Director at Keystone Bank.

READ: Why Nigeria needs a new national carrier

“If the tight monetary policy continues, and the Central Bank continues to manage the liquidity that makes FX, the economy may grow more than the 1.8% projected,” claims Mr Abubakar Jimoh, CEO at Coronation Merchant Bank.

Although energy sales in Nigeria account for up to 80 percent of all government revenue and more than 90 percent of the country’s exports, Agriculture and ICT sectors have flourished, providing steady growth, employment and investment opportunities.

The ERGP’s shift towards becoming import dependent has been particularly successful in Agriculture. Proforce MD, Mr Ade Ogundeyin declares, “the government is serious and committed about made-in-Nigeria goods. They are saying that if it can be produced in Nigeria you don’t import it.”

The government’s intention to use telecoms and ICT for economic development and financial inclusion is auspicious for the industry. Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission, Mr Umar Danbatta states that “telecoms contribution to GDP is now close to 10% and has been contributing 1.4 trillion naira to the economy.”

Minister of Power, Works and Housing Hon. Fashola confirms the commitment to IT, “We’re installing more broadband and connectivity across the country,” which in turn enhances a definite entrepreneurial spirit at play amongst the people.

The government has made it extremely clear that it will be pouring funding into infrastructure. Minister of Power, Works and Housing Hon. Fashola declares, “the investment in infrastructure is driving the value chain of the economic diversification.”

The government’s plans to modernise and restructure the country’s public transport system has proved a great opportunity for investors and the economy.

READ: Nigeria Needs Industrialization now

Nigeria remains a highly appealing destination for investors. Mr Tunde Fowler, Chairman at FIRS elaborates, “Nigeria is an investor’s heaven with so much potential; from industry to agriculture to telecommunications. There’s so much room for expansion and the ease of doing business ensures that anyone who has a business, or who intends to start a business, will not have to face any bureaucracy, roadblocks or hindrance.

Nigeria’s government is determined to provide profound and long-term change in economic prosperity and stability; there remains little doubt that it is Nigeria’s destiny to uphold the title of largest economy in Africa for a long time yet.

1 Like

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by chriskosherbal(m): 8:35am On Sep 12, 2018
Okay we are in for another argument between :

Team A Nigeria economy is the best vs Team B Nigeria economy is not the best ...

If you are in team A click share .....otherwise click Like button .. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Nukilia: 8:36am On Sep 12, 2018
Don't mind the propagandists grin grin grin They've paid the trolls grin

8 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 8:37am On Sep 12, 2018
chriskosherbal:
Okay we are in for another argument

It's never an argument. The truth remains that Forbes has never anywhere this year rated Nigeria's economy as the best in Africa. If you can point me to a link by forbes where this was stated, I will give you 20k sharp sharp.

Seun and Nairaland should be weary of spreading fake news. Forbes can sue the crap out of this website for this.

8 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by chriskosherbal(m): 8:39am On Sep 12, 2018
naijapips04:

It's never an argument. The truth remains that Forbes has never anywhere this year rated Nigeria's economy as the best in Africa. If you can point me to a link by forbes where this was stated, I will give you 20k sharp sharp.

Seun and Nairaland should be weary of spreading fake news. Forbes can sue the crap out of this website for this.
I feel you bro. ..

1 Like

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 8:39am On Sep 12, 2018
Nukilia:
Don't mind the propagandists grin grin grin They've paid the trolls grin

It's really annoying. It's sad that people can cook up lies to defend what is indefensible. Nigeria is burning and we are here chasing rats.

Imagine our youths, unemployment is at its highest, our GDP growth is stunted, we are almost nearing recession. Our infrastructures are in a sorry state. Most of our budget is used to finance debt and it's growing. Businesses are closing up everyday.

Yet we have youths defending this mediocrity. Honestly Nigeria is a zoo.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by conductor118: 8:39am On Sep 12, 2018
Zombies will never kill me cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by khingTony(m): 8:40am On Sep 12, 2018
These Guys have gone too Far grin
Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 8:43am On Sep 12, 2018
khingTony:
These Guys have gone too Far grin

As in. Imagine bright Nigerian youths defending a fake article while their country is burning!

Our stock market has almost lost 40% of its value. Investors are leaving everyday and we have smart dudes that should keep this government on its toes being the same youth hailing them while their country is being plunged to abyss.

9 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by nelcliff(m): 8:47am On Sep 12, 2018
Before 2015, they started with fake news and all sort of lies to get to power in 2015. Now they are keeping the temple of lies all round to sustain their govt..

God will continue to exposed them. Good job here @OP.

who ever doubt you should dig the fact out and stand to gain the cash offer..

3 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 8:47am On Sep 12, 2018
Seun, lalasticlala, Mynd44, I implore you to take down that article from your frontpage. I am forwarding a link to this to Forbes and this website might be sued for wrongful misrepresentation and defamation.

Thank you.

8 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Arda1000(m): 8:48am On Sep 12, 2018
Why somebody will cook up lies to defend this country while dat person is deiying of hunger seems to put me off balance

4 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 8:52am On Sep 12, 2018
nelcliff:
Before 2015, they started with fake news and all sort of lies to get to power in 2015. Now they are keeping the temple of lies all round to sustain their govt..

God will continue to exposed them. Good job here @OP.

who ever doubt you should dig the fact out and stand to gain the cash offer..

Infact i'm tempted to increase the offer to 200k. When youths are watching as old men devour and decimate an economy that they are looking to inherit, it turns me off big time. No matter the party you support, Nigeria needs saving!.

5 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by universe123: 8:54am On Sep 12, 2018
The worst type of deceit is self deceit.. Nigerians like to deceive theirselves. We too dey play for this country

6 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by MexxIT(m): 8:59am On Sep 12, 2018
I was laughing in Swahili wen I saw d APC promoted report

4 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Nbote(m): 9:00am On Sep 12, 2018
Dis APC govt can go to any length to promote and sell it's Grimm image to gullible Nigerians... Funny thing is only d so called forbesafrica and von reported d news. And d only other website carrying dat same report. The best performing economies aren't d biggest economies but d fastest growing ones and Nigeria isn't even in d top ten of dat list... Here dey are...
http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2018/05/top-10-fastest-growing-economies-in-africa-2018/

7 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 9:02am On Sep 12, 2018
MexxIT:
I was laughing in Swahili wen I saw d APC promoted report

The report was so dumb it's annoying.

Seun, Mynd44 , lalasticlala for the last time, take off that article from the frontpage or I am reporting this website to Forbes.

For you to categorically defame a reputable News agency such as Forbes like this has consequences.

4 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 9:19am On Sep 12, 2018
I just reported this fake news to Forbes. Seun get your lawyers ready.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Bizibi(m): 9:23am On Sep 12, 2018
It was laughable when that rubbish was posted this morning......

1 Like

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 9:27am On Sep 12, 2018
[quote author=Bizibi post=71124825]It was laughable when that rubbish was posted this morning......[/quote

That an MOD is posting an unverified Forbes article to the front page is disgusting to say the least. This website has been bought over by APC.

2 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by IllegalMoney: 9:30am On Sep 12, 2018
APC busted again

4 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Racoon(m): 9:30am On Sep 12, 2018
Well election times are here again in Nigeria so it's natural that political propagandas will be the order of the day.The desperation of the APC government is real.

2 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Racoon(m): 9:34am On Sep 12, 2018
IllegalMoney:
APC busted again
You can say again man.

2 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Great2017: 9:36am On Sep 12, 2018
Bizibi:
It was laughable when that rubbish was posted this morning......
Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Great2017: 9:38am On Sep 12, 2018
It is one Butterflyle0 that spew the rubbish on Nairaland. Good Nigerians should be cautious of any news emanating from him.
OP, thanks for exposing his evil intentions.

4 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Mgbadike80: 9:40am On Sep 12, 2018
naijapips04:
There is a fake news currently on the frontpage of this forum where a seemingly reputable government blog (von.gov.ng) quoted an article by a by an independent contributor at forbes, penrasa , claiming that Nigeria's economy is rated the best in Africa.

Now I would like to quote here that no where was it categorically stated or implied in the article that Nigeria's economy is the best in Africa. You can read up the link yourself. https://www.forbesafrica.com/economy/2018/04/09/making-nigeria/

And no where has forbes stated that Nigeria's economy is the best in Africa. You can use google to check. And if you find any article by forbes stating that Nigeria's economy has been rated best in Africa, I would give you N20k.

No 2. The article quoted is 5 months old. Can you imagine? An article written by an independent contributor 5 months ago is used to evaluate the present state of Nigeria's economy.

No 3. Nigeria's economy has been the biggest (not best) in Africa since 2014. Infact our GDP as of 2015 is $490 billion compared to the $405 billion it was in 2017. We have retrogressed basically. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tobyshapshak/2016/05/12/south-africas-economy-falls-to-third-behind-nigeria-egypt/#1a62128c4b78

I implore Nairaland to be weary of the sort of news it habours in it's platform. Forbes can sue the hell out of Nairaland for this.
And it is shameful that the same government that is claiming to be fighting fake news are themselves the bearers of fake news. Here is a link to government owned websites carrying the fake news (note the gov.ng domain. ). https://www.von.gov.ng/forbes-rates-nigeria-as-2018-best-economy-in-africa/

Below is the Fake article by 'Forbes'.

this type of thread hardly makes it to the front-page check out my thread below on the same issue.
Nigeria would be under-performing the sub-Sahara Africa group of economies

4 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by naijapips04: 9:47am On Sep 12, 2018
Mgbadike80:

this type of thread hardly makes it to the front-page check out my thread below on the same issue.
Nigeria would be under-performing the sub-Sahara Africa group of economies

Thanks for the article from worldbank. Another warning by yet another reputable global economic advisor. And some people keep praising mediocrity while our Nation is being raped. The housefly that refuses to hear would be buried with the corpse.

5 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by ignant: 9:54am On Sep 12, 2018
Great2017:
It is one Butterflyle0 that spew the rubbish on Nairaland. Good Nigerians should be cautious of any news emanating from him.
OP, thanks for exposing his evil intentions.

I am surprised people still haven't realised that dude is omeka or whatever the clown is called.

2 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Jflex07(m): 10:00am On Sep 12, 2018
Myndd 4 is an Apc Stooge.. Haven't you all notice that this same myndd 4 takes any news that favours Apc to the front page without even verifying the news source or how authentic it may be.. The guy is just too partisan to be working as a mod in this great forum.

6 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by saaron(m): 10:06am On Sep 12, 2018
I knew that news was fake but was surprise to see it on front page. Desperation to launder this useless govt's image with nonexisting achievements is now in full gear on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by tribalistseun: 10:36am On Sep 12, 2018
We all know the MOD that rushed to put the fake news on the front page without verifying.

2 Likes

Re: Fake News! Nigeria's Economy Is NOT The Best In Africa by Horus(m): 10:48am On Sep 12, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEAOK3U_Jk4

Minister of industry says economy is improving; Nigerians disagree

Nigerians disagree with Buhari's minister of industry, trade and investment, Okechukwu Enelemah who says
the economy is improving and ease of doing business is growing in Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Pray For Me - Atiku / Photos From The Funeral Of Ex-air Force Chief, Alex Badeh / The British Did Not Hand Over Nigeria To The Fulani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.